Karstaway Sustainable Development Programs in China

Karstaway Sustainable Development Programs in China

If you're looking for a Gap Year experience that has it all, look no further.

Karstaway programs combine studying Chinese, learning new adventure and cultural hobbies and working as a volunteer intern with an outstanding sustainable development NGO.

Our programs focus on sustainable development, and are based in some of China's most breath taking locations.

We passionately believe in the work all of our partner organisations are doing, and are absolutely dedicated to matching your unique skills and abilities with a very worthwhile project.

Asia » China » Guilin
Internship

Lizzie
Stratford, UK

Eco Camp Development

My experience in China transformed the way I live and think, giving me inspiration to embark on a career that can shape our world for the better.

Prior to my internship, I had completed a degree in Geography, so was already interested in topics such as sustainable development, but my involvement in community projects in a foreign country helped me put this knowledge into practice. I built on the skills I already had, but also gained new ones and finding that designing structures and facilities that benefitted both the local community and the environment was where my passion and talents lay.

This experience directly led to my interest in Landscape Architecture, and since returning from China, I have completed a Masters degree in this subject, focusing on landscape ecology and ecosystem services.

Additionally, living in such a beautiful environment, I took up new hobbies that I would have otherwise never have stumbled across, including rock climbing, kayaking and mountain biking.

I would love this program to have been linked with a university course!

Charlotte
Manchester, England
University of Leicester

Teaching in a rural school

I always wanted a gap year experience that was a bit different from the norm, something that would build on my own skills but also be an adventure! Karstaway was a perfect choice in that respect.

I spent 3 weeks in Yangshuo, and loved every minute of it, its breathtaking! And having a chance to try so many new things: climbing, caving and hiking the rice terraces was amazing. It's pushed me to be a lot more adventurous now that I'm back in England.

I taught English to primary school kids and also worked on outdoor summer camps for in Sanya for my internship. Which, I have to say, was terrifying at first, but ultimately I'm so glad I did it. It has really improved my confidence in things like public speaking and managing large groups. And you just can't beat the sunshine and beaches as a way to enjoy evenings and weekends.

The staff in Yangshuo were really supportive and made for a meaningful, challenging and fun adventure I'd recommend to anyone.

Really, the only negative thing I can say about the whole experience is that squat toilets take a bit of getting used to! And it would definitely helped on occasion if I was forewarned that in China you always need to carry your own toilet paper.

Karstaway is a social enterprise that connects talented interns with exciting opportunities to work towards sustainable development in China. Our programs are unique in that they combine meaningful internships with Mandarin Chinese lessons and adventure activities in some of China's most beautiful and undiscovered locations.