Break the Mold with a Gap Year Abroad at IAU

IAU is pleased to offer an incredible Gap Year Abroad opportunity to students from all backgrounds. This unique program draws on IAU’s expertise in experiential-based learning and offers a learning environment that fosters creativity and personal growth for the independent-minded student looking for a cross-cultural experience abroad before embarking on their next chapter. The Gap Year Abroad at IAU is perfect for the student who would like to earn credits towards their college degree while forging long-lasting friendships, discovering new passions, exploring different surroundings, and delving into the culture and language of their host country. Students will have the opportunity to gain real-world experience through courses, internships, and volunteer opportunities while sharpening their ability to become an independent thinker, analytical problem-solver, and cross-cultural communicator.

• Study business and international relations, fine arts, social sciences, and a variety of other disciplines
  • No previous college experience or language experience required
  • Homestays, apartments, and residence hall options available
  • Opportunities to thrive in Spanish, French or Arabic language immersion
  • Highly encouraged to cave out your own path and design a unique gap year experience that fits your individualized interests and needs

Basil

My 1.5 Semesters at IAU Aix

Just a quick note, my time in Aix may be a bit different from most people's, as I was a student at the art school, which is outside of town. The walk between IAU, my host house, and the art school never felt too long, and I never considered getting a bike or a bus pass. My experience at Marchutz turned out far better than I expected. I wanted to try a full semester of heavy focus in the arts, and I was finally able to do that at IAU, as well as improve my French greatly and study regional art history at the source. The program was mostly full of juniors and seniors in college, but also a few adult students, a retiree, and a few people with families of their own. It was a pretty good mix of personalities and interests. Everything went so well that I decided halfway through that there was no way one semester was going to be enough, and I applied for a second semester in the spring.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely go to more school events and take advantage of all the things they offered. I missed out on quite a bit the first semester, but I went to things for the part of the second semester that I was able to stay for.