View Other Details
Need-based discounts possible, scholarships available.
Fees may vary by year, billed in EUR.
Staff assistance, tuition for courses
Expand your horizons and earn optional college credit studying abroad with this semester gap opportunity in the heart of Tuscany. During the SIS Gap program, students will have the opportunity to enjoy life in Siena with a local Sienese host family, learn the Italian Language, and get to know themselves and this fascinating city through service-learning in the community. Unlike other SIS programs, this program was specifically designed for the gap year experience, allowing students to spend a bit less time in the classroom and more time out in the community or participating in cultural activities. The only courses you are required to take are Italian language (both the Intensive 3 week course, and the semester course) as well as our Intercultural Dialogue, Democracy and Global Citizenship course, which guides the students in Intercultural Reflection linked to their service activities. You also have the option of taking another SIS content course.
- Service-learning in a wide variety of service sites: from teaching English and assisting refugees to caring for the city walls.
- Take 1 year's worth of language in 1 semester with SIS (and earn up to 15 semester credits to take home)!
- All inclusive *competitively priced* program fee -- meals included!
- Gain perspective-changing experience and create lifelong relationships.
- Use Siena as a home-base for exploring Italy and Europe.