Gap year - Victory Gap Year

In the seaside town of Jeffreys Bay, the surfing capital of South Africa, students have come from around the world to equip themselves, and experience the transformative power of God. VGY is a gap year like no other, offering you a uniquely South African experience; providing a healthy environment for you to learn about life, leadership, community and servanthood. This is the year for you to establish your identity in Christ and build a solid, Biblical foundation into your life, while developing your leadership and character. All gap year programs offer ‘adventure’ and ‘volunteerism’. As do we. But where VGY is different – we also have a strong track record of success at setting people up for a life of purpose and significance. There are gaps in your game that we will help you fill to realise your full potential and purpose. We have 3 VGY "streams" for you to choose from: Leadership Stream, Media Stream, Worship Stream. Each stream has its own unique stream specific curriculum.

• ESTABLISH YOUR IDENTITY & SECURITY: Discover who you really are – what God says about you – and walk in the security of your identity as a child of God.
  • EXPERIENCE ADVENTURE & FUN: Jeffreys Bay and surrounding areas offer you world class surfing waves, bungee jumping, sky diving, mountain biking, cliff jumping, fishing, hiking, and camping
  • EMPOWERMENT THROUGH PERSONAL MENTORING: We believe in equipping and empowering young people to walk in their true identity as they engage in 1 on 1 fellowship with mature believers
  • EQUIPPING THROUGH COMMUNITY OUTREACH & VOLUNTEERING: Students get to engage in various weekly outreaches into the surrounding disadvantaged communities.
  • ESTABLISH A CAREER PATH: Let us help you find your passion and calling so that you can walk in your purpose and destiny.

Emeale

Emeale Maritz

It was truly an experience that I would never forget! I was like a sponge, hungry for answers, sucking up all the experiences and lectures. After all it was a gapyear and I tried to get the most out of it, which ended up changing my life ! It was suuper fun too. I grew tremendously, spiritually and emotionally and I feel in a strange way equipped to be able to take on my future with confidence. I know who I am now and who I am in God. Truly awesome Gap Year.

Sarah

VGY

I can say in all honesty that my thoughts, what I believed, my passion for life, and what I saw in my future, were shaken to the roots in a beautiful way. I learnt to laugh in a silly child-like manner with a group of people I would have been intimidated by only months before. I learnt about culture, about food, about tradition, and about similarities that stretch accross continents. I learnt to push through despite what my emotions tell me, and this has impacted me hugely in my work. I now run a counselling center, called the Journey, and I am reminded how much of my three years at VGY is intertwined deep within me, so much more than what went in my head. (And sometimes out again). I don't remember all the words said, I don't remember all the people I met, I don't remember the places my feet touched, but I am certain that the deepest parts of my soul and spirit were changed.

I would have loved to be out more in the community, and to connect with different groups of people outside Victory. HOWEVER, from my awareness, this is already started happening since I left two years ago.
Calvin

My thoughts

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my review about my experience!

Please take some time and moderate what goals it is that you would like to achieve on this experience.

There is time for loads of fun in the program but I achieved the most growth by being ready to learn and grow as an individual.

Other than that. It was the best decision going for VGY because of how engaging the whole city is towards the program. This would not be a mistake for any person who is willing to take a year to themselves to learn how to relate to what your future holds!!

More mentors needed.
Katie

Life Changing

VGY was more for me about redemption and learning who Jesus is. It was the most challenging, yet rewarding 2 years of my life and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. Before going I had no direction and was going absolutely nowhere. I didn’t respect myself and wasn’t even comfortable in my own skin. Once I arrived I saw something in the people I met there that I desperately wanted and so I just went after Jesus and He utterly transformed the way I felt about myself, others and how I interacted with those around me. I first came to know Jesus here and found my freedom in Him because of this program. Not only that but I also discovered my passion and the call Jesus has on my life as well as how to be a positive influence to those around me. I left VGY knowing who I am, where I belong and with a joy that I had never known in my life. I will treasure my time there and the friends I made forever and carry what I learned wherever I go.

If you're looking to travel, have new experiences, make life long friends, grow deeper in a relationship with Jesus or figure out what it is you are supposed to do then I would recommend going to this program.

N/A
Ando

Great Year

This was a great year for me. I learned a LOT.

Going into the year my relationship with God was strong, I did not expect the spiritual growth I experience. Not just that, but also the emotional growth and everything I learned gave my a boost for my future.

I would highly recommend anyone to do the GAP year. You learn to work and live with people from all over the world, and at the end of the year you are no longer just a bunch of people living together you are a family and friends for life.

Jaap

life changing!

I had a amazing year with awesome leaders! It was honestly the most outstanding year of my life so far. It had it challenges but you find that every where. I enjoyed it alot and would do it again if I could!
You learn to grow up quite quickly and that was good to exsperience, next to that the spiritual growth was amazing aswell. You grow mentally and spiritualy strong, and learn to take care of yourself aswell, and to ask for help if needed.
And to serve in a church, learn to be a real part of the church community, is amazing aswell.

Overall the year has been an amazing life changing exsperience to me that I will treasure and remember for the rest of my life.

I would suggest to upgrade the personal attention towards the first years individually, to maybe get a team of people outside the leadership to over see the mental state of the first years to maximise the growth and integrity.
Bronwyn

My year.

All I can do is say thank you to God for giving me the opportunity to be apart of something so wonderful. Victory Gap Year taught me maltiple lessons that I will keep for the rest of my life, and I will forever be grateful for that. I met life time friends and inspiring leaders. I recommend this Gap year and will encourage everyone and anyone to do it. I feel it’s important to allow God to speak into your life before you head off into this big, confused world, and that’s what VGY allowed us to do, to find our identity is God and His purpose for our lives

VGY is improving on a yearly basis, so I’m excited to see just how much it continues to grow and get better.
Chenell

One Year exchanged for a lifetime

My gap year in 2014 was definitely a defining year for me, a year which played a massive role in who I am today and where I am today. The Victory Gap Year is a year, if you choose to engage fully, shape, change and challenge your thinking about life and what you are designed for. I would encourage participants to serve where you can serve, to participate completely otherwise your time will be wasted. As in life, what you put in, thats what you will get out from it.

Nicole

I LOVED my Gap Year

I made lifelong friends, got to visit different parts of the country with them and had the privilege of finding myself in a safe Kingdom environment where I was loved and encouraged through my processes! I loved every second of my year and if I could go back I would do it all over again!

In my Second Year, I did the Media stream and I am incredibly grateful for that as what they taught me has allowed me to get the job I have now and the one before it! If you are willing to learn you will come out equipped and ready to take on the work world - what you put in is what you will get out!

About Victory Gap Year

Over the past 20 years, over 1000 students have come from around the world to equip themselves, and experience the transformative power of God. Situated in Jeffrey's Bay, the surf capital of South Africa, Victory Gap Year is a unique experience;...