Green Light Ventures: Conservation Projects & Adventures in Tanzania!

Volunteers working with locals to build a chicken coop
Volunteer planting trees in wildlife buffer zone near Lake Manyara
Volunteer planting trees in wildlife buffer zone near Lake Manyara
Wildlife spotting in National Park
Wildlife spotting in National Park

A true mixture of cultural experiences, adventure and a positive contribution to local communities in the heart of Tanzania. Whether you're trekking through the jungles of the Great Rift Valley, or planting trees to reforest the local area, you'll be experiencing the best that Tanzania has to offer and come home with memories to last a lifetime.

As well as working on exciting new projects, you will be immersed deep into the amazing cultures of Tanzania. 130 tribes come together in an extraordinary village where we are based. Located on Great Rift Valley and situated between some of the greatest wildlife reserves in the world, this is truly one of the most spectacular places you will visit!

Our volunteering programs work together with diverse community groups in rural Tanzania creating a positive and sustainable partnership. Using these partnerships we work to tackle climate change.

• Experience the best of Tanzania's beauty through our adventure excursions. Hike up to natural waterfalls and trek through the jungles of the Great Rift Valley.
  • Offset your carbon footprint, empower local communities and reforst nature reserves and community spaces through tree planting.
  • Spot elephants, lions and giraffes on safari!
  • Immerse yourself in Tanzania's diverse culture. Learn bushcraft with the Maasai and cook local dishes with our neighbours.
  • Work on practical projects (for example plastic repurposing or small building projects) that empower communities, provide income and facilities.

Travel flexibly with Green Light Ventures!

We are still taking bookings onto our Sustainable Adventure Expeditions to Tanzania. Look forward to a once in a life time trip packed full of adventure and culture.
We are currently offering Flexible Bookings!
If your trip is cancelled due to COVID-19, then you are able to re-book onto a future trip of your choosing.
If you are unable to travel due to COVID-19, then you may re-book onto a future trip of your choosing.

Amelia

Perfect balance of work and play

Going to Tanzania with GLV was an absolute joy. The leaders have clearly thought thoroughly about their approach to this kind of trip - from their attentive treatment of travellers to their awareness of environmental effects. For example, great effort was taken to reduce our plastic bottle use and offsetting our plane flight carbon footprint with tree planting. Dom and Chloe were both laid back/down to earth but at the same time completely switched on and on the ball. I felt well guided at any point that I didn’t know what I was doing and knew I could trust them.

The beauty of the nature and community was a highlight for me. We saw so many captivating views, saw so much wildlife, plantations at sunset and vast starry skies. We also experienced the brilliantly hectic Massai markets and ate the local food and drink there. It was also an honour to cook with and eat with (and play with the baby) a local family at their home. The tour guides all knew their stuff and the planting and building projects were well lead and well managed.

I am conscious and wary of trips like this in relation to the ‘white saviour’ complex. There was none of this feeling on the trip. GLV teams up alongside amazing locals in Tanzania who are doing life changing work.
The trip was so well balanced with doing rewarding hard graft, getting involved in the community, fun activities and rest.

The group of people on my trip were all lovely, laid back and good company. Dom and Chloe were always up for adventure and making sure we got the most out of our time there while also being attentive to the needs of the group and being flexible when rest was needed! Would highly recommend the trip to anyone!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
On the drive back from visiting a rural tribe, we stopped to admire the dark sky FULL of stars. It was absolutely beautiful. Until someone made lion noises.
William

An experience like no other!

This trip was a perfect blend of Conservation, Community Development, and recreation. Green Light Ventures also gave me the opportunity to veer from the touristy beaten track and experience Tanzania's amazing culture and people at a personal level. The volunteering I took part in was highly appropiate and ethically conducted, it is without a doubt one of the best programmes ive seen in terms of giving you, the voulenteer, a real meaningful role in tackerling both the enviromental threats and socio-economic issues at hand. Some evenings we would spend drinking tea and making fires with the maasai whilst others we would relax and go for a swim or read a book by the pool. Between projects we would also do day excursions which would also vary from safari to waterfall walks. GLV truly put everything on offer during my trip so that I could return back home with the knowledge that I had experianced all the aspects of Tanzania and had contributed what I could to helping its enviroment and its communities.

If you fancied a Tanzanian night out, ask Dom and Chloe to take you to M & M's, Lots of fun!
Read my full story
Lisa

2019 Tanzania

For me this trip provided me the balance I wanted from my time in Africa. I wanted to both volunteer within the community but also to explore the area, embrace the culture and become enriched by the experience. I was particularly attracted to the sustainability focus of the projects and found it interesting how the local community support the concept. No other tour provider seemed to offer me the experience to both volunteer but also explore the area with an itenary I was able to select from and I am so glad that I made the decision to go with green light ventures. The tour guides knowledge of the area and history was fantastic and I always felt well looked after. The food available was varied and eating together was a nice way to reflect on the day just gone. We would recap the progress of each project we were working on and would always be informed of the plan for the next day. I never felt alone despite travelling solo and that was very important to me.

Embrace everything and be present. Relax, the tour providers will provide you with all the information you need making the travel as seamless as possible. Also, drink lots of water from your GLV water bottle.
Claudia

An exciting, fun and unique once in a life-time opportunity to experience Tanzania!

Green Light Ventures was the perfect opportunity to experience the real Tanzania. It offered a real range of activities where I was able to observe Tanzania's beautiful scenery and wildlife such as waterfall walks, cycle rides to Lake Manyara, and of course Safari. We also undertook a variety of projects which centred around conservation. Smaller projects included creating herb gardens with plastic bottles we had collected. We also undertook a larger project where we built a Chicken Coupe for a community in need, this was extremely rewarding.
Dom and Chloe were the perfect hosts always fun, extremely helpful and supportive throughout my experience and always quick to answer any queries I had. They were constantly asking what they could do to better my experience. They were also very attentive to any specific requirements or needs I had such as providing vegetarian meals. I would recommend Green Light Ventures to anyone who is considering this kind of trip. Thank you again for such a great experience!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I drank was the banana beer! You can find banana beer being drunk by the locals at the Masai market, this is a must try!!