NOLS Semester in East Africa

A Semester in East Africa means two and a half months of camping in the bush, exploring the wonders of Tanzania, developing leadership and outdoor skills, meeting new people, learning about new cultures, and pushing yourself physically and emotionally.

This course will take you from the high peaks of Mount Kilimanjaro to the valleys of Ngorongoro Crater and Olduvai Gorge, the home of early man. You will train your binoculars on wildlife that you have only ever dreamed of seeing and mingle with Maasai, Bushmen, Chaga, and Meru people in rural villages. Work hard hiking with all of your gear on your back in adverse weather conditions ranging from rain, dense fog, and possibly snow on steep, rocky terrain and through dense tropical forests.

Lizzie

Incredible Experience

If you're looking to be challenged, both physically and mentally, then this program is for you. I came into this trip without any prior hiking or backpacking experience and the instructors were very helpful in showing me the ropes and supporting me when I was struggling. I also really enjoyed the education part of the course. We had classes almost everyday on kiswalhili, the environment, or leadership, which were interesting and informative. We also had members of the Massai tribe hiking with us for most of the trip, so we really got an understanding about that culture. Making it to the summit of Kilimanjaro gave me such a feeling of accomplishment and was definitely worth all of the blood, sweat, and tears. If you're wanting to learn more about yourself, as well as be immersed in another culture, then I would highly recommend this program. I've made friends and memories that will last a lifetime.

Vieve

Amazing - hard work

There are not really many "study Abroad" prgrams where you get to experaince the country in it's rawest form . Be aware this is no beach vacation. If you are willing to have physically demanding days to see and experaince some of the coolest cultures of your life, this program is for you.

A typical day (as I remember it)
- Wake up early, 6-7am, cook/ clean-up breakfast
- Pack-up camp
- morning lesson on either culture/ language or outdoor education
- Hike for 5-6 hours (see amazing wildlife, interact with local tribes, connect with your fellow NOLSies
- set-up camp in your new location
- maybe have an hour or 2 of down time
- Cook dinner/ clean-up
- relax with your companions
- go to sleep in your tent with your tent group

About NOLS

NOLS is a nonprofit global wilderness school that will help you step forward boldly as a leader.

We believe that anyone can be a leader; it's our role to provide the environment and training to help you discover your full potential. We do that in...