By NOLS   Reviews (5)   100% Rating

NOLS Semester in Alaska

By NOLS   Reviews (5)   100% Rating

Your semester in Alaska includes everything from forested coastlines to the snow and ice of the high mountain peaks to the tundra and rivers in between.

In the long days of the northern summer, you'll have plenty of time to learn about and travel through wild Alaska. Hiking takes you to the continent's largest assemblage of glaciers and its greatest collection of peaks over 16,000 feet in elevation.

The semesters mountaineering section travels even further into this area, an ideal training ground for learning to live and climb on snow and ice. Finally, you will spend 23 days sea kayaking in Prince William Sound.

North America › United States of America
Tented Camp
Primary Language
Age Max
Cost
Scholarships, Financial Aid, and Academic Credit available.
10000.00
NOLS Semester in Alaska

Rating Values

Leah
Alaska
Tufts University

experiment

Overall 10

Living with the same 11 peers for seventy days forced me to clearly state my expectations. NOLS is a great place to fail. After growing up in Alaska, I have not felt as safe in the Alaskan wilderness as when I was with my NOLS instructors. This trust allowed me to reach for my comfort zone in terms of physical and emotional demands. With whom else can you loose your way in the Alaskan wilderness and have very little consequence? NOLS changed the way I live.

More readings. More lessons on what to do when things go wrong.

Asa
Boulder, CO
University of Colorado- Boulder

Life Changing

Overall 10

My semester in Alaska in 2013 was most likly the highlight of my life thus far. It changed me inside and out, and was a catlyst to many changes in my life. I would strongly encourage anyone even remotely considering it (and those who aren't yet) to do it. I could not have asked for anything better.

Andrew
Biddeford, Maine
University of New England

Great Experience

Overall 10

My experience was amazing. waking up early and moving all day is the best. Every day is eventful and new. A semester in a tent was the coolest experience ive ever had. The meals were great and included a wide variety of options.

The bear protocol was really strict, this kinda took away from the ability to have self reflection time.

Jack
Los Angeles, California
University of Southern California

Leading a Rope Team for the First Time

Overall 10

During my NOLS Semester in Alaska, I was given the chance to lead a rope team over glacier travel. It was one of the most incredible experiences and will stick with me forever. The instructors were all great and very motivating. They pushed you to your maximum ability and taught you so much about the outdoors.

I think that my NOLS semester was one of the best experiences of my life. That being said I think that NOLS Alaska could improve by letting the students know what section they are going to start with before they arrive on the NOLS grounds.

Zoe
Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin- Madison

MEGA semester in Alaska

Overall 10

The semester I spent in Alaska was the best decision I have ever made. With a group of 11 students and 3 instructors, we spent 23 days sea kayaking then 48 days backpacking and mountaineering. Though some days were long and taxing, the experience was one I couldn't have gotten anywhere else. Some highlights included river crossings, getting food drops via bush plane, summiting mountains, ice climbing, repelling into crevasses, kayaking with whales, and meeting unbelievably cool people -- this program is the best and I highly recommend it.

NOLS is a nonprofit global wilderness school that will help you step forward boldly as a leader.

We believe that anyone can be a leader; it's our role to provide the environment and training to help you discover your full potential. We do that in classrooms close to home and in remote wilderness areas around the world.

We're an organization with heart, expertise, and wildness, and these qualities help us support powerful, authentic experiences.

Our mission is to be the leading source and teacher of wilderness skills and leadership that serve people and the environment. Our community—staff, students, trustees, and alumni—shares a commitment to wilderness, education, leadership, safety, community, and excellence.

Community Photos: