CityGAP at The Living City Project

CityGAP is a city-based, outdoor exploration experience for rising college first-years, college students on leave, and high school graduates from around the world. CityGAP provides meaningful and challenging experiences in the New York City landscape, creating a COVID-safe and rewarding space for personal and intellectual growth. We use the built and natural environment as a collaborative outdoor classroom, where students wrestle with urgent challenges facing the city at this critical moment. Participants create both group and personal project, exploring their passions and interests while grappling with relevant current questions and seeking to make and impact on the world for the better. We create small cohorts of 8-10, use COVID-safe protocols, and have dorm-like housing available for students coming from outside of New York City.

• Outdoor and field-based, with minimal time online

Mateo Evaristo Shapiro

Best Domestic Gap Year Option

I had a great time with CityGap. It was a great experience even during COVID. I learned so much about New York City, met great people, and added to my resume. This program is flexible and is good for any type of interest. If you are a curious and motivated person I can not recommend this more highly.

The program itself is run by two amazing people, Andrew and Tanya! They make the program what it is. They are kind, attending, and a pleasure to work with. I highly suggest that if you are interested at all to reach out and have a video call. You will learn much more about the program and see if it fits with you. I am sure it will!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Spending my whole gap year doing this program instead of just one semester!