• United States of America
    • New York
    • New York
12 - 26 weeks
Program Tags
Adventure Travel Arts Cultural Immersion Hands-On Learning Post-High School Social Justice

Program Details

Age Max

Pricing

Each semester is $8500
Financial aid available
Does not include room or board
What's Included
Activities Some Meals
What's Not Included
Accommodation Some Accommodation Airfare Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers Some Meals Transportation Travel Insurance Visa Wifi
Oct 11, 2021
Jul 06, 2021
1 traveler is looking at this program

CityGAP is a NYC-based, outdoor, experiential program for participants 18-22. We engage with New York as a classroom, laboratory, studio and community, wrestling with current challenges facing the city. We spend most of our time outdoors in the city, working with partners in the arts, architecture and design, public policy and more. Our program is for young who want to connect with the world, explore their passions, master life skills and make an impact with a supportive group of peers.

CityGAP serves young people from around the world seeking a meaningful, creative, and collaborative experience outside in New York City. Our ideal participant is a young person who wants to do hands-on work with peers and expert partners on relevant challenges in the city. We partner with city officials, artists, policymakers, journalists, performers, activists and entrepreneurs.  Participants work on both group and individual projects, producing a portfolio of original work in a variety of media.

Program Highlights

• Outdoor and field-based, with minimal time online
  • Deep exploration of New York City's architecture, planning, history, culture and politics
  • Collaboration with expert partners
  • Group and individual project work
  • Mastering life skills, personal independence and navigating the City

Leila

Fascinating and unique program that taught me how to better understand human issues and topics

I took a gap year before my first year of undergrad because of Covid. I came across CityGAP and was thrilled because I was hoping to have a semester in a city setting. I don't want to sound like a cliche, but I feel very certain that CityGAP has changed the trajectory of my future in many senses. I felt that the program helped me to become the curious, knowledge-loving, ambitious person I've always known I could be. The program gave me a really special, analytical yet everyday lens to look through as I go through our ever-changing world. And at the same time, the program isn't constant learning in the way that we often think about it. I feel that it developed my passion for learning through the unique way Andy, Tanya, and Truly teach experiential learning, I began to understand how truly fascinating everything around us is. During my semester, we studied the NYC food system, 70s arts movements, and I did a personal project learning about Billie Holiday, protest music, and the Harlem renaissance (all of the links to the final projects are on the CityGAP website). This program is so unique because the students get to choose what we study, and once we do, Andy and Tanya provided us endless support, ideas, and resources to pursue these. With CityGAP, we could learn about pretty much anything, and no matter what we chose, Andy and Tanya had endless resources, fascinating contacts, and creative ideas about how to approach these topics. Andy and Tanya taught me about institutions, artists, people, and ideas that I don't feel like I would've had the same ability to find on my own. Not only is the sheer access to resources incredible, but the way the team teaches us to self-advocate is too. Going into college, I feel like I have a new confidence in my ideas and in asking for help or insight from unfamiliar people. This, to me, has been one of the greatest gifts of the program. Lastly, Andy and Tanya are unlike any other educators or people I have met before. I consider them my teachers, but also my life-long mentors and my friends. The support, encouragement, knowledge, and humor of these two is something I will always cherish and look forward to having for a long time to come. CityGAP, to me, feels perfect for those interested in becoming more informed citizens of today's world; an intellectual wonderland. I can't encourage it enough!!!

Clara

A truly outstanding program!

I decided to take a semester off of school during the spring semester of my junior year at college. This choice was mainly because of the pandemic and its impact on the quality of my schooling experience. When I found the Living City Project, through a family member who recommended it to me, I was beside myself with interest and excitement. It seemed like the perfect program for me to do during my time off that would be both academic and rigorous while also being exploratory and fun!

And I must say, the program exceeded my expectations of what I would gain from a semester away from school.

The Living City Project is an incredible opportunity for young people to expand and grow themselves as students, communicators, collaborators, and individuals. I spent the spring of 2021 in the CityGap program. This program is especially unique because of its placement in New York City and its individualization to each student’s interests.CityGAP utilizes the city as its “classroom” in every capacity possible. Although we completed this program during a year into the COVID-19 pandemic, we were able to spend almost every day outside in the world, safely, interacting with contacts, peers, and the city.

As students, we decided what specific relevant issues and movements in NYC we wanted to explore. Our group decided to study Food Justice and Sustainability in the NYC food system and Art and Social Change in NYC in the 70s and today. For each of these focuses, Andy and Tanya guided us through finding research, resources, and people to study the roots of these focuses. Additionally, for each focus we completed a group project of our own design that was the summation of our experiences.

For the first project cycle, Food Justice and Sustainability, we wrote and designed a Food Justice cookbook - called “A Bite into the Big (affordable, local, just, and sustainable) apple.” For the second project cycle, we created a public art project called the Scroll Project that explored issues of public spaces all over the city during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. Each of these projects exceeded my expectations of what is attainable to make during a semester and what is possible to create as students. Thought the creation of these projects, Andy and Tanya guided and pushed us to combine our skills, research, resources in ways I did not imagine possible.

I cannot recommend this program highly enough. But more than that, I cannot recommend Andy and Tanya highly enough. They are truly outstanding educators, mentors, and people. (Not to mention that they are incredibly funny and engaging!)

Mateo Evaristo Shapiro

Best Domestic Gap Year Option

I had a great time with CityGap. It was a great experience even during COVID. I learned so much about New York City, met great people, and added to my resume. This program is flexible and is good for any type of interest. If you are a curious and motivated person I can not recommend this more highly.

The program itself is run by two amazing people, Andrew and Tanya! They make the program what it is. They are kind, attending, and a pleasure to work with. I highly suggest that if you are interested at all to reach out and have a video call. You will learn much more about the program and see if it fits with you. I am sure it will!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Spending my whole gap year doing this program instead of just one semester!