• United States of America

Primary Language
Age Max

Pricing

$29,400 USD
Internship Year cost includes tuition and housing. In addition to Tuition and Housing, many students and families add the Stipend Plan and Dynamy/Clark University courses to their Dynamy experience. The Stipend Plan is $125 per week to cover daily living expenses, such as food, laundry, transportation, and entertainment.

We are proud of our demonstrated commitment to financial assistance for students in need. We award need-based aid based on the School and Student Service for Financial Aid form (SSS), available at sssbynais.org. The Dynamy code is 2938.

For more information, https://dynamy.org/tuition-and-aid/
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Some Equipment Wifi
What's Not Included
Meals Transportation
Nov 25, 2020
Apr 15, 2021

Dynamy Internship Year offers full-year or semester (fall/spring) options and strategically mimics a college calendar.

Full Year: Our full year students will attend Dynamy from September to May (similar to an academic calendar). Students who attend Dynamy for the full year will have the opportunity to complete three different internships- one in the fall and potentially two in the spring.

Semester: Our fall semester will run from September to December. Students who join us for just the fall semester will complete one internship experience which will be roughly nine or ten weeks long. Students who apply for the fall semester do have the option to reapply for the spring semester. Our spring semester will run from January to May with a week off in March for spring break. Students who join us for just the spring semester will complete one internship experience.

Program Highlights

• Independent Living Skills- Students will learn to live independently in apartments with other Dynamy students where they are responsible for their own meals, cleaning and managing their schedule.
  • Advising and Mentoring- Students will meet weekly with their internship advisor where goals, successes and challenges are discussed.
  • Experiential Learning and Professional Skills- Students will work 28 hours a week, Tuesday through Friday, at their internship location for roughly seven hours each day.
  • Life Skills- Students will participate in budgeting workshops, time management and other foundational executive functioning skills.
  • College and Career Exploration- Students will work with our onsite college counselor, as well as their advisor, to discuss transition options for both college bound students and those entering the workforce.

• 9-10 rating 81.82%
  • 7-8 rating 18.18%
  • Program Selection 8
  • Pre-departure Help 9
  • In-program Support 7
  • Impact on Student 8
Delaney

my gap year at Dynamy

Dynamy is exceptional because of the way they handled COVID. Even through COVID they allowed us to have a social life in a safe way and enjoy our time with our peers. They planned fun activities for spring break, and Easter even though we couldn't be with our families. They made me realize Dynamy is a family and the best non-biological family a girl could ask for. They have so many internship opportunities that allow us to explore interests of all kinds and have hands on experiences. I'm forever grateful, thank you Dynamy.

Take every opportunity possible and have FUN in every excursion.
Elizabeth

Dynamy Internship Year

I really enjoyed all Dynamy had to offer. I definitely made some close friendships here and bonds with supervisors and staff. Additionally, I worked to improve on a lot of life skills from budgeting to time management to boundary setting/apartment living, etc. This gap year was helpful in many ways and I am very glad I took it before jumping right into college in 2020. I think that staff and support were excellent and also very understanding, while also stern enough. My main concern is the area of Worcester. I did feel concerned for my personal safety a couple of times as some of the people near Chandler Street especially were creepy.

Kamran

Find yourself at Dynamy

I attended Dynamy after being in college for a couple years and still having no clue what I wanted to do afterwards. My adviser helped me explore various internship opportunities and set up interviews. Both internships were great and have helped me shape a plan for my future. The staff is amazing and as involved as you need them to be; I was able to gain more independence but when a difficult life situation arose, they helped me through it and always had my back. My roommates were all amazing and we still keep in touch. Our apartment was spacious and very nice. There is plenty to explore around Worcester from great restaurants to sporting events and concerts, etc. This is a great program for any young adult looking to explore different fields and/or gain life experience.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Worcester is an awesome city. The community is very progressive and politically active. There are numerous unique non-profits doing very important work that have internship opportunities.
Kimberly

Amazing Experience!

Great experience to the real world after high school - I was a young graduating student. Outward Bound was a truly amazing experience - it was challenging and invigorating! I highly suggest attending an open house at DIY and going in for a tour of the program - you'll gain more of an idea of the internship year and meet current staff/students! DIY opened my eyes to many things and led to onto my career path/educational path to becoming a successful young woman! I currently work in Human Resources as the Talent Acquisition Specialist for a non-profit organization called YOU, Inc. which DIY is now part of!

Continue addressing the incoming student needs and growing with/developing as the times change.
Kate

Best Decision I’ve Made

As I approached my senior year of high school, it became clear that taking the traditional route and going to college was not right for me. Despite my academic success in high school, I knew I wanted to gain a greater sense of independence with guidance prior to entering college life. A gap year seemed to be in my best interest. For my gap year, I chose to enroll at Dynamy.
For me personally, I decided to go to Dynamy because I wanted to take the time to get a better sense of what career I’d like to pursue and the college courses I would need to take in order to determine my major so that I can achieve my goal. I also wanted to develop even stronger skills that relate to work ethic, time management, and responsibility.
At Dynamy, students are also provided internships to get hands on experience and to investigate different careers. Through this program, I obtained a teaching internship where I learned hands on experience in the classroom. I mastered how to manage a classroom and how to effectively work with students. I also secured an internship learning how to maintain and keep a pottery studio in top shape.
At Dynamy, improved my work ethic, fine-tuned my independent living skills like learning how to budget money for groceries, for transportation, and for other living essentials. I have also learned how to maintain a clean and safe apartment as well as how to live successfully with roommates. Having healthy relationships and communication is extremely important in order to coexist with your roommates, and this is a valuable lesson that has aided me in college dorm living.
Dynamy has also helped me to further develop my social skills. I am social; however, I struggle with finding the balance between my need to be assertive and people taking advantage of my kindness. Dynamy’s staff has helped me to work on these areas through one-on-one counseling and by giving gentle reminders to continue to strive to reach these goals. Something that has really helped me to grow socially is the requirement to attend social events for credit. This has provided an excellent opportunity for me to interact with my peers. These events have increased my confidence in social situations tremendously and I have gained many new friends.
In addition, attending these events has also taught me how to create a positive balance of my work life and social life. Over the course of this semester, I took a class through Clark University and had to learn to find time for studying, attending events, working, and hanging out with friends. While it was a little hectic at times, I learned useful time management strategies to help tame the craziness. I dedicated certain times for exclusively studying and if I knew there was an event or an obligation I had to fulfill, I learned to plan ahead to get work done. I also found it helpful to do a little bit of work each day and not wait to do it all on the weekend before class on Monday. Taking the Clark class certainly was fascinating and gave me a sneak peek into what a college class is like in addition to indirectly teaching me how to manage school and my life outside the classroom.
Taking a gap year at Dynamy was one of the smartest decisions I’ve made. I’ve developed a better understanding of the workforce, myself, and has helped me transition into the college experience. Dynamy’s program allowed me to grow academically, socially, and professionally. With these newfound skills, I am equipped to successfully embark on the college experience and whatever else lies ahead in my future.

I have no major complaints about the program. Words cannot express how grateful I am for what Dynamy has done for me. Thanks to the program and it’s wonderful staff, I am more confident with myself and my ability to be successful in my academic, social, and occupational endeavors. If I had to make a critique I would say that I would have liked to have more internship opportunities to work with the elderly population. There were nursing homes and elderly care facilities that had accepted Dynamy interns in the past, but were not accepting interns at the time.
I was very pleased and gained a lot of valuable experience from the internships I worked at while I was at Dynamy.
Paul

Dynamy

My time at Dynamy, working at my internship and just in my apartment, was an amazing opportunity to get a taste of real world life of working a 9 to 5 and managing my life in the apartment. I would highly recommend this to anyone. Though I would also mention that since they do a really good job of portraying real life responsibilities and consequences, that it can be quite frustrating and stressful at times. In my time at Dynamy I was able to cook and clean for myself and house mates and get some amazing experience in the professional work environment.

They're too strict at times and somewhat harsh and sometimes punish excessively
M

Dynamy Parent Past

My son enjoyed the Dynamy experience very much and definitely benefited from his year there in Worcester. He loved the independent living experience, the staff, and the other students. He felt supported by the Dynamy staff and was always very comfortable there. I can't think of a better step out of high school for him, especially given that he is not likely to be attending college.

*Hi there! Just wanted to note that this review was posted back in 2014, before Go Overseas increased the minimum length of reviews. We're thrilled to deliver more content to our users about gap year programs like this one to help our community make more informed decisions about their next adventure. To read more reviews for Dynamy Internship Year, be sure to keep scrolling through our site.

Things that I believe could use improvement are the assistance they get with the internship placements. I also felt that there was too much unstructured time. While I appreciate the independence they were given, I thought that the balance was a little off and as a result some of the life skills were not obtained.
David

Gap year can be a major assistance

Many parents we talked to felt that a gap year program would be a great help for their teenagers. Schools seem to be encouraging a gap year as a chance to help young people mature before college. Yet there still seems to be a stigma about actually doing a program like this. For us, there was no doubt that a gap year was the right thing and Dynamy was a tremendous help in making it work well.
Our son was not at all sure he wanted to do a gap year and he was somewhat resistant to the program, but the folks at Dynamy could not have been more supportive, helping him to figure out what he wanted to do and encouraging him to find his own motivation for it.
He's in college now and is doing well. The year was a year of maturing and figuring out what he really wants to do with his life. It was invaluable.