Dynamy: Full-Year

Independent Living_1
Independent Living_1
Internship Site_2
Internship Site_2

Dynamy Internship Year offers full-year, semester (fall/spring) and summer placements.

Perhaps the most popular option, our full-year mimics a traditional college calendar, running from September to May, and offers 3 internship cycles. Students begin in September with a 10-day Adventure Challenge followed by orientation and an 11-week internship period. After a brief winter break, students return to complete the final two internship periods (January- March and then March- May). During their internships, students engage in the "real working world" to establish professional relationships, time management, and further develop their interests. Aside from their internships, students practice independent living skills, weekly advising and money management. Given that the full year program occurs over a long stretch of time, students are able to deeply develop peer and staff relationships. Our full year option allows students plenty of time to experience and reflect on the program.

• Independent Living Skills- Students will learn to live independently in apartments with other Dynamy students where they are responsible for their own meals, cleaning and managing their schedule.
  • Advising and Mentoring- Students will meet weekly with their internship advisor where goals, successes and challenges are discussed.
  • Experiential Learning and Professional Skills- Students will work 28 hours a week, Tuesday through Friday, at their internship location for roughly seven hours each day.
  • Life Skills- Students will participate in budgeting workshops, time management and other foundational executive functioning skills.
  • College and Career Exploration- Students will work with our onsite college counselor, as well as their advisor, to discuss transition options for both college bound students and those entering the workforce.

• Program Selection 8
  • Pre-departure Help 9
  • In-program Support 7
  • Impact on Student 8
Kamran

Find yourself at Dynamy

I attended Dynamy after being in college for a couple years and still having no clue what I wanted to do afterwards. My adviser helped me explore various internship opportunities and set up interviews. Both internships were great and have helped me shape a plan for my future. The staff is amazing and as involved as you need them to be; I was able to gain more independence but when a difficult life situation arose, they helped me through it and always had my back. My roommates were all amazing and we still keep in touch. Our apartment was spacious and very nice. There is plenty to explore around Worcester from great restaurants to sporting events and concerts, etc. This is a great program for any young adult looking to explore different fields and/or gain life experience.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Worcester is an awesome city. The community is very progressive and politically active. There are numerous unique non-profits doing very important work that have internship opportunities.
Kimberly

Amazing Experience!

Great experience to the real world after high school - I was a young graduating student. Outward Bound was a truly amazing experience - it was challenging and invigorating! I highly suggest attending an open house at DIY and going in for a tour of the program - you'll gain more of an idea of the internship year and meet current staff/students! DIY opened my eyes to many things and led to onto my career path/educational path to becoming a successful young woman! I currently work in Human Resources as the Talent Acquisition Specialist for a non-profit organization called YOU, Inc. which DIY is now part of!

Continue addressing the incoming student needs and growing with/developing as the times change.
Kate

Best Decision I’ve Made

As I approached my senior year of high school, it became clear that taking the traditional route and going to college was not right for me. Despite my academic success in high school, I knew I wanted to gain a greater sense of independence with guidance prior to entering college life. A gap year seemed to be in my best interest. For my gap year, I chose to enroll at Dynamy.
For me personally, I decided to go to Dynamy because I wanted to take the time to get a better sense of what career I’d like to pursue and the college courses I would need to take in order to determine my major so that I can achieve my goal. I also wanted to develop even stronger skills that relate to work ethic, time management, and responsibility.
At Dynamy, students are also provided internships to get hands on experience and to investigate different careers. Through this program, I obtained a teaching internship where I learned hands on experience in the classroom. I mastered how to manage a classroom and how to effectively work with students. I also secured an internship learning how to maintain and keep a pottery studio in top shape.
At Dynamy, improved my work ethic, fine-tuned my independent living skills like learning how to budget money for groceries, for transportation, and for other living essentials. I have also learned how to maintain a clean and safe apartment as well as how to live successfully with roommates. Having healthy relationships and communication is extremely important in order to coexist with your roommates, and this is a valuable lesson that has aided me in college dorm living.
Dynamy has also helped me to further develop my social skills. I am social; however, I struggle with finding the balance between my need to be assertive and people taking advantage of my kindness. Dynamy’s staff has helped me to work on these areas through one-on-one counseling and by giving gentle reminders to continue to strive to reach these goals. Something that has really helped me to grow socially is the requirement to attend social events for credit. This has provided an excellent opportunity for me to interact with my peers. These events have increased my confidence in social situations tremendously and I have gained many new friends.
In addition, attending these events has also taught me how to create a positive balance of my work life and social life. Over the course of this semester, I took a class through Clark University and had to learn to find time for studying, attending events, working, and hanging out with friends. While it was a little hectic at times, I learned useful time management strategies to help tame the craziness. I dedicated certain times for exclusively studying and if I knew there was an event or an obligation I had to fulfill, I learned to plan ahead to get work done. I also found it helpful to do a little bit of work each day and not wait to do it all on the weekend before class on Monday. Taking the Clark class certainly was fascinating and gave me a sneak peek into what a college class is like in addition to indirectly teaching me how to manage school and my life outside the classroom.
Taking a gap year at Dynamy was one of the smartest decisions I’ve made. I’ve developed a better understanding of the workforce, myself, and has helped me transition into the college experience. Dynamy’s program allowed me to grow academically, socially, and professionally. With these newfound skills, I am equipped to successfully embark on the college experience and whatever else lies ahead in my future.

I have no major complaints about the program. Words cannot express how grateful I am for what Dynamy has done for me. Thanks to the program and it’s wonderful staff, I am more confident with myself and my ability to be successful in my academic, social, and occupational endeavors. If I had to make a critique I would say that I would have liked to have more internship opportunities to work with the elderly population. There were nursing homes and elderly care facilities that had accepted Dynamy interns in the past, but were not accepting interns at the time.
I was very pleased and gained a lot of valuable experience from the internships I worked at while I was at Dynamy.
Paul

Dynamy

My time at Dynamy, working at my internship and just in my apartment, was an amazing opportunity to get a taste of real world life of working a 9 to 5 and managing my life in the apartment. I would highly recommend this to anyone. Though I would also mention that since they do a really good job of portraying real life responsibilities and consequences, that it can be quite frustrating and stressful at times. In my time at Dynamy I was able to cook and clean for myself and house mates and get some amazing experience in the professional work environment.

They're too strict at times and somewhat harsh and sometimes punish excessively
M

Dynamy Parent Past

My son enjoyed the Dynamy experience very much and definitely benefited from his year there in Worcester. He loved the independent living experience, the staff, and the other students. He felt supported by the Dynamy staff and was always very comfortable there. I can't think of a better step out of high school for him, especially given that he is not likely to be attending college.

*Hi there! Just wanted to note that this review was posted back in 2014, before Go Overseas increased the minimum length of reviews. We're thrilled to deliver more content to our users about gap year programs like this one to help our community make more informed decisions about their next adventure. To read more reviews for Dynamy Internship Year, be sure to keep scrolling through our site.

Things that I believe could use improvement are the assistance they get with the internship placements. I also felt that there was too much unstructured time. While I appreciate the independence they were given, I thought that the balance was a little off and as a result some of the life skills were not obtained.
David

Gap year can be a major assistance

Many parents we talked to felt that a gap year program would be a great help for their teenagers. Schools seem to be encouraging a gap year as a chance to help young people mature before college. Yet there still seems to be a stigma about actually doing a program like this. For us, there was no doubt that a gap year was the right thing and Dynamy was a tremendous help in making it work well.
Our son was not at all sure he wanted to do a gap year and he was somewhat resistant to the program, but the folks at Dynamy could not have been more supportive, helping him to figure out what he wanted to do and encouraging him to find his own motivation for it.
He's in college now and is doing well. The year was a year of maturing and figuring out what he really wants to do with his life. It was invaluable.

Prudy

Dynamy Internship Year 2013 - 2014

From a parent perspective, the initial interview and subsequent parent gatherings were very interesting and informative. We felt our daughter was well supported and encouraged throughout the year. Our primary goal for our daughter during the internship year was to gain confidence in herself and this was accomplished beyond our expectations. The year provided her with focus and motivation to set goals as she took the next step beyond Dynamy. In addition, the opportunity to take a college course each trimester was fantastic. Our daughter started her freshman year in September with almost a full semester of credit.

It would be helpful to be more realistic about the difficulties with transportation to many internships. Given the hours for some internships and the fact that Worcester has some challenging areas this could be a big problem for many people.
Ali

Helped my son find his path

Great program for young adults who aren't yet ready to decide on a college program and don't know what other path to take. Gives exposure to a variety of work options through internships (3 during the year), and gives a chance to live independently, manage a budget, and do some guided self-reflection. I can't say how helpful this program was for my son who went straight into a job after the program and has truly found his calling in life.

I'm actually not sure I would change anything. It's important that parents step back during this year so the kids can take the lead in their own lives so the fact that there isn't a great deal of communication with parents is both intentional and healthy.
Maddie

Why Dynamy?

I'll tell you why Dynamy. I had a bumpy road all throughout high school due to personal issues I battled. I lost all confidence within myself and I needed to gain a new sense of self. Dynamy opened new doors for me and allowed me to grow in ways I never thought I could. I am happier and more confident in myself and Dynamy has a lot to do with the person I am today.

There is always room for improvement. Housing is plenty comfortable, but it would be nice to have more than one washer/dryer in each housing complex.

I also think the program should lead more towards individual preference in advising and check ins. Not everyone necessarily a check in when the advisor wants a check in. I feel as though individuals should be welcome to check in when they feel they need it most.

About Dynamy Internship Year

Dynamy Internship Year is a challenging and engaging gap year for students ages 17-22 who are interested in exploring and discovering career paths through hands-on learning. We understand that students have taken many paths to reach Dynamy, thus...