Dynamy: Internship Year

Dynamy: Internship Year

Dynamy Internship Year (DIY) is a personalized gap year for students who wish to explore their interests in unconventional ways away from classrooms and more in the real world. It is the perfect program for students to gain meaningful experiences during this precious time. Our goal is to help our students find what their passionate about, boost self esteem, and increase confidence. Students live, work, and thrive in a friendly atmosphere surrounded by the help of our advisors. Dynamy provides over 200 internships, an adventure challenge, mentoring, college credit and apartment living.

North America » United States of America
Program Tags
Hands-On Learning
Internship Year cost includes tuition and housing. In addition to Tuition and Housing, many students and families add the Stipend Plan and Dynamy/Clark University courses to their Dynamy experience.The Stipend Plan is $110 per week to cover daily living expenses, such as food, laundry, transportation, and entertainment.

We are proud of our demonstrated commitment to financial assistance for students in need. We award need-based aid based on the School and Student Service for Financial Aid form (SSS), available at sssbynais.org. The Dynamy code is 2938.

For more information, http://www.dynamy.org/admissions/tuition-financial-aid/.

M
CT
University of Connecticut

Dynamy Parent Past

My son enjoyed the Dynamy experience very much and definitely benefited from his year there. He loved the independent living experience, the staff and other students. He felt supported by the staff and was always very comfortable there. I can't think of a better step out of high school for him, especially given that he is not likely to be attending college.

Things that I believe could use improvement are the assistance they get with the internship placements. I also felt that there was too much unstructured time. While I appreciate the independence they were given, I thought that the balance was a little off and as a result some of the life skills were not obtained.

David
Philadelphia
Middlebury College

Gap year can be a major assistance

Many parents we talked to felt that a gap year program would be a great help for their teenagers. Schools seem to be encouraging a gap year as a chance to help young people mature before college. Yet there still seems to be a stigma about actually doing a program like this. For us, there was no doubt that a gap year was the right thing and Dynamy was a tremendous help in making it work well.
Our son was not at all sure he wanted to do a gap year and he was somewhat resistant to the program, but the folks at Dynamy could not have been more supportive, helping him to figure out what he wanted to do and encouraging him to find his own motivation for it.
He's in college now and is doing well. The year was a year of maturing and figuring out what he really wants to do with his life. It was invaluable.

Prudy
Blue Hill, Maine
University of New Hampshire

Dynamy Internship Year 2013 - 2014

From a parent perspective, the initial interview and subsequent parent gatherings were very interesting and informative. We felt our daughter was well supported and encouraged throughout the year. Our primary goal for our daughter during the internship year was to gain confidence in herself and this was accomplished beyond our expectations. The year provided her with focus and motivation to set goals as she took the next step beyond Dynamy. In addition, the opportunity to take a college course each trimester was fantastic. Our daughter started her freshman year in September with almost a full semester of credit.

It would be helpful to be more realistic about the difficulties with transportation to many internships. Given the hours for some internships and the fact that Worcester has some challenging areas this could be a big problem for many people.

Ali
Massachusetts
University of Exeter

Helped my son find his path

Great program for young adults who aren't yet ready to decide on a college program and don't know what other path to take. Gives exposure to a variety of work options through internships (3 during the year), and gives a chance to live independently, manage a budget, and do some guided self-reflection. I can't say how helpful this program was for my son who went straight into a job after the program and has truly found his calling in life.

I'm actually not sure I would change anything. It's important that parents step back during this year so the kids can take the lead in their own lives so the fact that there isn't a great deal of communication with parents is both intentional and healthy.

Maddie
Worcester, MA

Why Dynamy?

I'll tell you why Dynamy. I had a bumpy road all throughout high school due to personal issues I battled. I lost all confidence within myself and I needed to gain a new sense of self. Dynamy opened new doors for me and allowed me to grow in ways I never thought I could. I am happier and more confident in myself and Dynamy has a lot to do with the person I am today.

There is always room for improvement. Housing is plenty comfortable, but it would be nice to have more than one washer/dryer in each housing complex.

I also think the program should lead more towards individual preference in advising and check ins. Not everyone necessarily a check in when the advisor wants a check in. I feel as though individuals should be welcome to check in when they feel they need it most.

Dynamy Internship Year is the perfect place to start a a college career. If you're a student interested in exploring new boundaries and learning in unconventional ways away from classrooms, then taking an internship year abroad is the right choice for you! We are the