High School Summer Abroad Program: Adventure Down Under

Why Study English & Phys Ed in Australia and Fiji?

This is an active program taking students along the east coast of Australia and concludes on the picturesque beaches of Fiji. Adventure Down Under is designed to offer students a variety of practical experiences in healthy active living through team sport, trekking, individual sports such as surfing and snorkeling, as well as strength training and recovery practices like yoga.

At the core of this journey is the development and unification of body and mind. The English course provides the academic foundation of the program with focus on the refinement of literacy, communication, and analytical skills, while the Physical Education course gives students the opportunity to hike a mountain range as well as swim the most extraordinary coral reefs in the world. The Adventure Down Under program includes five weeks of overseas travel in Sydney & the Blue Mountains, Cairns & the Great Barrier Reef, and along the beaches of Fiji.

Its grade 11 students prior to entering grade 12.

Jenny

Educator perspective

This is an incredibly unique experience for any student. Not only do they gain the essential english and physical education skills, but they learn quality life skills that they can take with them in the next steps of their lives (university, college, workplace, etc.). They embark on a challenging journey that is incredibly rewarding -- many students commented on how the educational experience helped them grow and opened their eyes how big the world is, and how much they have to learn and explore throughout their lives.

I would recommend this program to any student. It perfectly embraces the ideology behind "the world as our classroom" and allows youth to begin to discover their identity and grow beyond the classroom walls.

Devon

Would go back in a blink

Best summer of my life. ADU Crew will always be in my heart and be my second family. Adventure down under was such a great program with such amazing teachers who made everything fun while in a learning environment. If I had the chance I’d go back as fast as I could for even longer. Best experience you will ever have. Take this chance of a lifetime, meet new people new cultures and just have a blast while getting school credits. Nothing can get better than this. This trip has gave me the influence to become a better person and I am transformed into a better lil man. Trust me it’s not a waste of time, I won’t ever forget my family. ADU forever love you all❤️

No possible way
Ruby

THE BEST SUMMER EVER!

I had wanted to go on this trip for a few years, and when I finally got my acceptance I was ecstatic!!! It was by far the best way I could have ever gotten two of my gr. 12 courses, and I feel I am now actually prepared fro University. The teachers level of commitment to the students was unparalleled by anything else I have ever seen. I will be recommending this trip to everyone back home!! Thank you MEI!!

Alessia

The Summer That Changed Me

When you think about going to Australia or Fiji to be educated and make memories its safe to say that many people would jump at a the opportunity. I wasn't one of those people, I had been worried and consumed by fear that I would miss out on things a home. When I had finally convinced my self to take this journey it was an anxiety filled time for me but all that went away the moment I stepped foot into the Sheraton the day of our departure. The strangers in that room would later become people that I would come to admire and love. We all had an effect on one another, and had absorbed certain traits from each person. To this day I can hear my self talking like one of my friends on the trip and think 'thats something jess would say.' The memories I've made throughout that trip were all part of a milestone in my life, one that helped me grow and mature into a better student and a better person. This trip is difficult to explain, and in all honesty why would would you want to hear my stories when you could have some of your own? I would recommend this trip in a heartbeat to anyone who wants to explore their education, the world and themselves because a trip like this really can change you just as it has changed me.

If I had to alter the trip in anyway it would be the physical education course. I wish we had the opportunity to try other things such as surfing as a part of our actual course mark. I think it would be really to learn how to surf in a place where its so popular and get marks for it.
Nick

Trip of the summer.

This was my most memorable summer of my life. All the people who went on the trip were great, we all connected, and we all got along really well. My teachers were really able to help me in my academics. I found that I was really able to improve. They were also able to be really fun and goof around with us when the time was right. The people and my teachers on this trip really made the trip for me. I was motivated to do my work through out the trip which was a first for me. We were also given a lot of time on our own. This left a lot of room for personal growth. I would highly recommend this trip.

I wish I was challenged more physically. I feel on this trip I was not pushed to my limit for a majority of the trip.
Justine

Adventure Down Under

My favourite experience during the trip was going into a nearby village in Fiji. We got to meet the locals in a traditional ceremony and got to interact with kids and teens through dance and singing. It was an eyeppening and humbling experience to share in and just goes to show how this program gives you every opportunity to embrace the culture of every city you visit.

Due to the time frame of the program, time management skills were needed to ensure all assignments were started and worked on in a timely fashion to meet due dates, which helped improve my organization.

About MEI International Academy

With MEI International Academy you'll need to bring your passport, because the world is our classroom. Rather than a typical exchange program, high school students and recent graduates from around the world travel from city to city and country to...