Learn real-world emergency medicine and complete the Wilderness First Responder Course. Then broaden your skills as you shadow doctors in a small rural clinic, contributing to the community in immeasurable ways.
Students come on this adventure not just because they like medicine and want to help people. They come here because they like adventure too: hiking palm tree lined paths to pristine Caribbean beaches, rafting down a jungle river, swimming under a towering waterfall and surfing a smooth beach break. This hands-on learning trek not only focuses on modern western medicine, but also explores the community approach to healthcare.
- Earn your Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification
- Perform healthcare service work in a Dominican community
- Shadow local doctors during small clinic rotations
- Go on wilderness adventures including rainforest hikes, rafting, surfing and snorkeling
- Learn medical Spanish terminology to help communicate with patients