Summer High School Programs in Dominican Republic with Rustic Pathways

Samaná Beach
Samaná Beach
Rain-forest in the Dominican Republic
Rain-forest in the Dominican Republic

Since Rustic Pathways started its first Dominican Republic programs in 2012, our goal has been to emphasize the people over the places. While our staff and students adore the pristine beaches and idyllic settings, our programs go much deeper than the average tourist’s trip. Each program in the Dominican Republic dives deep into service opportunities, whether through community development, environmental stewardship, or public health, and allows our students to connect with members of the communities where they serve.

While you’ll be sure to enjoy the picturesque beaches and tranquil mountains, you’ll also understand what life is really like for Dominican people. Next to resorts lie marginalized, impoverished communities called bateyes. Dominicans face many challenges and they have big hearts, warm personalities, and enjoy sharing their fun-loving culture.

Rustic Pathways Scholarships
Rustic Pathways Scholarships and Financial Aid

Rustic Pathways is committed to making life-changing opportunities possible for students worldwide. We know how impactful our programs are, and continually strive to make them more accessible to all students.

$1,000 - $5,000

Want to travel this summer? Enroll up to 8 days before programs depart!

Programs depart weekly through August 6th to destinations around the world. Find out which programs still have space for you to enroll today!

Popular Programs

Travel to the heart of the Dominican Republic on this program that will allow you to live in harmony with nature, and experience life as locals live it in this diverse Caribbean island. Spend three days working on service projects, contributing to infrastructure and environmental initiatives. Head back south to the beaches near Juan Dolio and explore the colonial zone of Santo Domingo, where you’ll learn about the rich history of the country.

Work alongside health care professionals on high-impact public health projects across the Dominican Republic. Explore the diverse regions of this beautiful Caribbean island while immersing yourself in local culture and practicing your Spanish in a healthcare setting. Identify health needs of rural, urban, wealthy, and impoverished communities and help develop meaningful public service initiatives.

Explore the crystal blue waters of Bayahibe Bay and the beautiful Caribbean Sea. Work alongside marine biologists to rebuild the coral reef habitat that is home to many marine species, including manatees, dolphins and sea turtles. Learn biological techniques to monitor sea animals in the wild. Get muddy as you work to rebuild the mangrove swamps of Los Haitises National Park. Contribute to antipollution projects with local ecological organizations.

Create and run a day camp for marginalized young students in the Dominican Republic. First, bond with your group as you hike and camp the mountain town of Jarabacoa. Work together to plan games and learning activities for a six-day camp. Teach English, play sports, and have a blast with the young kids and learn more about their lives in the Dominican Republic. After all the hard work, relax with a catamaran tour and snorkeling around Saona Island.

Explore mangroves, reef formations, and marine wildlife at Los Haitises National Park and Samaná peninsula. Get your hands dirty as you work on ecological restoration projects and learn from experts and communities about the efforts to maintain the extensive biodiversity of the region. Venture to hidden caverns to see ancient Taino cave paintings, and soak up the sun on some of the island’s most beautiful beaches.

Carmen

Service Off the Grid!

What was the most fun on this trip? Perhaps it was running around the community late at night, playing Cops and Robbers with the local kids. Or, falling in the river one afternoon and laughing so much that it made swimming difficult. It could very well have been frolicking at the beach. One of the highlights was our third to last night. We were camping in the mountains, and it began to pour. So we rushed into our tents, mine stuffed with 6 people, and waited for it to end. Only, it didn't. So after half an hour, my friends and I recklessly left our tent to dance in the rain. It was freezing, and maybe a little foolish, but it was tremendous fun.
And what was the most impactful part of the trip? Maybe the long, informative bus ride through Santo Domingo and into the mountains. We experienced a completely different setting, climate, and culture. And the most unexpected impact was the bond our group built over those 9 short days. I cried the night before we left, and again at the airport when we all had to part.
But the definitive answer to both of these questions is service. It was during our service that we interacted with the community, learned about their lives and culture, and got to eat Dominican food!! Service is physically demanding, but insanely fun and a wondrous opportunity to learn.

Bring work gloves!! They are much needed and very stylish. And although the DR is tropical, the Mountains are chilly, so bring long pants and multiple sweaters!
Olivia

My summer in the DR

This summer I went on a service trip to the Dominican Republic. My trip was titled “public health in the Caribbean.” I have always been interested in medicine and public health, but I didn’t know what to expect. As soon as I showed up to the airport i was greeted by so many amazing girls and I immediately knew that it would be a great trip. We stayed in an amazing base house, and went to very informative and interesting NGO’S (non-government organizations) regarding women and children’s health and rights in the DR. After we learned the issues we had a man named Gary teach and certify us in first aid, cpr, and other wilderness first aid skills to use in the community health workshops. After this we went into the Batey communities and saw first hand the many issues that people in these communities face. Although they faced so many hardships, the people in these communities were so outgoing and caring. One of my favorite memories was when we were pouring a concrete for a family of 5, and the abuela gave us fresh mangos and coconuts. Her compassionate personality really stood out to me, and my whole group formed a really amazing and tight bond with her over the 5 days we worked to help the sanitation in the community. After doing the construction projects like pouring cement floors and building latrines, we used our knowledge of wilderness first aid to do public health workshops that went to 4 communities in the bateys. This was definitely the highlight of my trip, because we really got to know and understand what the families in the communities go through. We gave them anti parasite medicines, weighed and measured babies, gave vitamins and much more. When I got home, I realized how fortunate we all really are, and how important it is to help others who may not be in the best situations. Forming bonds with different people around the world is one of the things I love to do most in life, and this rustic trip really helped me do what I love.

Having a base house closer to the Bateys because of the long drive
Gabriel

Marine Life in The Dominican

My trip in the Dominican provided me with the experience of a lifetime. I got to meet some lifetime friends while working with a local NGO called Fundemar, but also got my eyes opened up to the impact of climate change on our oceans. The programs allowed me to create valuable and close social connections with fellow program members; and the program leaders passion for this cause drove my heart towards this cause as well. Thank you Rustic for giving forever friends and an unforgettable experience.

Gabby

Missing my rustic family

I don’t know where to start!! My program was amazing and was such a relief opening experience. It’s been almost a month since I went on my trip and I would do anything to be with my group again. In the summer leadership program, I was able to get so close with the people in my group and the kids we supervised. I highly recommend traveling with rustic because they accommodate to your needs and make you feel safe throughout your whole trip. The people I meet I will never forget and I will forever cherish the memories I made with the most amazing people in the world.

I would’ve liked to know the schedule of the day in more depth and done more service but otherwise I have no complaints
Alicia

Life in the Bateys!

This summer I traveled to the Dominican Republic with Rustic Pathways. This was my second Rustic trip, and definitely not my last. The program was life in the Batyes, on this program we worked on building a house, latrines and floors in communities called Bateys. This was a critical Issues program, meaning we also learned about the issues and the history of the Bateys, the sugar cane industry, and workers. We also got a chance to run a summer camp for the kids from the Bateys, and we had some time to relax and great beaches. Throughout this program the work was satisfying and meaningful, we developed wonderful relationships with the people from these communities and among our student group. It was so hard to leave the Batey on our last service day, and say goodbye to everyone at the airport. The program leaders are inspiring, kind and very knowledgable they took great care of us 24/7. I have never felt so at home with strangers. I felt happy, safe and secure the moment I met my PL's and my group. On this program you learn so much not only about the Bateys and their history, but you live it by being a part of the community where you gain an understanding of what is truly important in life. Since the moment you sign up for a Rustic program to years after, Rustic makes you feel like part of an amazing community. I am so thankful for the opportunities Rustic has provided me. I am looking forward to next summer to create more wonderful memories with them.

Alicia

Life in the Bateys!

Michaela

Life in the Bateyes with Rustic Pathways

The Life in the Bateyes trip in the Dominican Republic was my first experience with Rustic. I went alone in the hopes of meeting some new people, as recommended by Rustic itself. We had 13 people, a group of 4, 2 groups of 2 (one of the groups of 2 knew the girls in the group of 4) and 5 people who came by themselves. With so many sub groups, it made it difficult to bond as a group as well as talk and connect with individuals. One of our trip leaders actually complained about it numerous times (not to us of course). Our base house was amazing! It was a NGO that worked to provide documentation to undocumented immigrants as well as legal representation for laborers. Meeting the nuns and learning what they do was extremely enlightening. The building itself was very nice and was beyond what I could have hoped for (minus warm water though it was so hot it didn't really matter). The service work was my favorite part. At some points though I didn't always feel that we were making an impact. All the work that we did though was sustainable which assisted in making us all feel like we were making a lasting difference on the bateye of Monte Coca. The packing list was pretty accurate for this trip. I did tend to wear more pants (blue jeans, capris, cargo pants) but I wasn't quite as effected by the heat as some of my fellow group members. Our trip leader were very conscientious of our health and always made sure that we drank lots of water and checked in with students to make sure that we didn't get any of the common illnesses that foreigners tend of get in the Dominican. When I got a splitter from a shell in the water on beach day, Angelica (one of the trip leaders) immediately put antibiotics on it and took out the piece that was lodged in my foot. Rustic is also very conscious of the many ways it can leave a minimal impact of the environment. Our base house was powered by solar energy and all the food that we ate was grown on the property. On our last few days in country we stayed at what is called an ecolodge, which is a whole mini resort if you will that has zero impact. Energy from solar panels, food from property, recycled rain water for sinks, toilets, etc. All in all I would recommend this trip to any high schooler as a way to practice some Spanish, learn about a different culture, and make a positive impact on someone life.

Amount of time working at our service location. I also wish that we hadn't had to drive all the way back to our base house to eat lunch and then had a whole hour of doing nothing after. We should just eat at the work site so that we can get more work done. My rustic trip leaders also tried to put me in a room alone when four other girls decided that they wanted to all be in the same room together. I then had to wait the lobby for close to an hour while the rest of my group got to go up to their rooms to be told that they couldn't put me in a room alone and took me upstairs to one of the other girl's rooms. The leaders needed to be more organized and be more conscious of how their actions were making me feel. And finally I understand the need for break days so that students can recuperate but 6 beach days in 2 and a half weeks is a bit much.
Lily

TRIP OF A LIFETIME!!

I was so excited to go to the Dominican Republic, I had been counting down the days for almost a whole year! I went on Mountain Air and Village service and the experience was life changing. My group was the third group to work on the aquaducts in the community and we finished the project and got to see the running water! It was such a great moment to see the running water and see how happy the locals were. The ranch we stayed at was so nice although I wish we had time to spend more time there. In the middle of the trip we went to the beach for a night and I had a great time! The ride there was certainly really long but worth it! I only had wished we had more time to spend at the beach and had left the base house earlier. For anyone looking into the trip I HIGHLY recommend going. I already cant wait for my trip next year with some of the same friends from this year!

Not have so much driving in one day.
Abby

Public Health

I definitely recommend this trip. It was impactful, fun, and interesting. There was a good balance between service, learning, and fun. The other students were approachable and caring, as were our group leaders. The community service was rewarding yet enjoyable. I always felt safe and we always stick together as a group. The food was really good and our leaders ensured that there was always water available. The base house was also great.

Abby

Public Health in the Caribbean

Overall, this is a great program. The communication with parents throughout the trip was ideal. My largest complaint is in terms of the packing list. Jeans were much more useful than long shorts, so I would recommend bringing another pair. The accommodations were great, but a lot of time was spent traveling to and from service. The food was amazing, and the staff was always willing to adjust in order to accommodate all students.

The packing list could be adjusted.
Jaden

Mountain Air Village Service

I was enrolled in the Mountain Air Village Service program. Overall the program was very enjoyable. I found the leaders to be very engaging and I enjoyed some very nice conversations with them. The volunteer work we did was hard work but the accomplishments felt tangible, since we finished the aqueduct the groups before us had also been working on. Seeing the water going through the entire thing and the reactions of the people who now had clean water was priceless and heartwarming. This trip was also great for meeting new people and it was really cool to meet people from all around the US and even a few from outside the US and just to connect with them. Overall this trip was very enjoyable and i’d reccomend it to anyone who is looking for an experience like this.

There isn’t much to improve with this program but if I had to say one thing, it would be that I would want more time set aside for souviners because we did not get much time for that.
Shauna

My som’s First trip

My 15 year old son went with Rustic Pathways on his first trip alone. We were looking for something easy to get to for a few weeks for his first adventure.
He had an amazing time! It seemed well organized and they had a nice balance between Service and other experiences in the community. I like the fact that the kids had to put away their electronics for the majority trip. I still had to get over having minimal contact, however.
At first my son didn’t feel comfortable speaking Spanish but by the end of the trip he felt more confident and was speaking Spanish to the locals. I really think that the work that they did, building an aqueduct felt meaningful to the kids and the locals.
There were many more girls than boys on this particular trip to the Dominican republic. By all reports, the trip was great! I only wish it was a little longer since he enjoyed it so much.

Maybe show the parents more pictures ;)
Madeleine

Public Health in the DR!

This program really opened my eyes to the life in the Bateyes, and public health in the DR. I have always been interested in nursing, and the medical field and so this trip immediately caught my eye. We stayed in this beautiful base house in San Pedro for 10 days, which was super helpful and nice to really unpack and make it like home. The house had a pool, 2 dogs, and 2 cats and beautiful architecture. One of the most impactful memories from this trip was the health workshops. For two days, we created fun games to teach kids basics on living a healthy lifestyle. We also gave them anti-parasite medication along with vitamins. I was in charge of weighing and measuring the babies which was precious. The kids were so excited to see us and play with us and they were so happy, even with the little that they had. The community service portion of the trip was also really incredible to experience. Making a big difference hands on, and seeing our effort making others happy is just a priceless experience. I learned a lot about myself and about the nurse I want to become. We also got our Wilderness First Aid training which was super fun and awesome to learn. We got to use makeup and fake skin and acted out scenarios to make it as realistic as possible. Overall this program was fascinating, and I learned A LOT. For anyone interested in medicine I strongly encourage you to go on this trip!

We had 3 days of straight community service and by the end, people were pretty drained. I think it would be a good idea if they split it up with a break in between to go to the beach or something. The beach was great and I wish we had gone a bit more. Also maybe less discussions and more games - the discussions were important but sometimes felt repetitive.
Amber

Dominican Republic: Island Living

I was hesitant to sign up for my first Rustic trip, I had travelled alone before, gone somewhere where I didn't know anyone else, but this was different. I didn't know what to expect from a trip, even though they provided an itinerary, I was still in doubt. After thinking about what kind of service I wanted to provide, and where I wanted to go, how long I wanted to stay, I had finally decided to choose Island Living. This trip was only 9 days and left me wanting more. This was 12 hours of service with plenty of beach days, so you can soak up the tropical sun on your off days. You will learn a lot about the island as well as providing eco-service, you'll probably end up leaving the Dominican Republic in hopes that you actually start your sustainable garden in your backyard just like my whole group did. You may be hesitant at first, especially if you go alone (without a friend), but it just makes your group that much more special. You aren't exposed to any other support system other than the people around you, and they become your family in such a short amount of time. I still talk to most of my group, about 16 people were on my trip and thats the maximum. It may seem small, but in reality, it just makes getting to know each other easier. We all worked really well together and our group leaders were fantastic. They all have stories of their own, and my group leaders were some of the most outgoing and adventurous people I've met, definitely take the time to get to know them too, they'll teach you a lot.

Island Living was such an amazing experience and even if you don't choose to go to the Dominican Republic, I would highly recommend you choose a Rustic trip of some sort because the experiences are life-changing.

Read my full story
Cayla

Once in a lifetime experience

The people you meet, places you visit, foods you taste and things you do are all amazing. The DR is like no other place, the atmosphere was so lively, fun and energetic. It's a trip that can completely change you as a person and open your mind to so many new things. Also living with random people from all over of all different backgrounds, gives you the chance to learn about other places and their point of view. Just being unplugged and living in the moment, in such a beautiful place, is so relaxing.

Location:
Las Américas International
( SDQ )
Cibao International
( STI )

The Dominican Republic shares the island Hispaniola with Haiti (the DR is to the right, Haiti to the left), and is a hot spot for beaching, staying at resorts, and living a Caribbean lifestyle. Close to Miami, with a diverse population and Creole cuisine, this island is a popular tourist destination filled with all sorts of adventures.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Rustic Pathways

Travel and volunteer abroad with Rustic Pathways. Choose from culturally-immersive adventure and volunteer programs in 17 countries. Make lifelong friends from around the world, work on sustainable community service projects, and discover new...