Multiple Locations +17
2 - 4 weeks

Program Details

Dormitory Host Family

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance.

Scholarship opportunities are available for high school summer programs.

There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Travel Insurance
Oct 06, 2021
Jul 28, 2021
6 travelers are looking at this program

Imagine summer soccer in Tanzania – with a mission to empower young girls as you play. Or squad time perfecting your French in a Parisian park with a side of chocolate croissants. What if summer outside meant tracking bats in a Costa Rican cloud forest?

CIEE's high school summer programs are designed to take you to faraway places – not so you can peer in from the outside like a tourist, but so you can weave into the fabric of the community you visit and learn about local culture by becoming part of it.

The CIEE Global Navigator Scholarship Program - the largest of its kind - awards $5.4 million to over 1,000 students every year. Awards are based on academic merit and financial need. They cover 10% to 100% of tuition costs.

This summer, fly to the global destination of your dreams and immerse yourself in a new culture and topic.

Program Highlights

• Over 30 exciting destinations in Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Africa.
  • 3-4 week long programs and combine classes and excursions you won't want to miss.
  • Earn college credit while taking a language program.
  • Comprehensive safety measures from vetting of homestays to health insurance, we’re looking out for our participants at every step.

• 9-10 rating 96.67%
  • 7-8 rating 3.33%
Abey

An unforgettable experience

If you find yourself wondering if traveling abroad with CIEE is for you, my advice is to go for it. It's difficult to describe just how incredible my experience has been studying abroad in Roma, Italy. The staff is so supportive and I've formed very close bonds with the other students. It has truly been an unforgettable experience that has encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and grow so much as a person. I'm so grateful to have had this experience and to have met these wonderful people.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
As we walked into the Sistine Chapel, my eyes began to water and a few tears traced my cheeks. I was in complete awe of the beauty of the room and felt a moment of derealization. I could not believe that the art that I had wanted to see in person since I was little was just meters above my head. Immediately, my peers rushed over to ask if I was okay. The true answer was that I could not possibly be more happy.
Julia

Life Changing Trip

I went on a CIEE High School Summer Abroad trip (HSSA) and it was amazing. Exploring Rome thru the Arts 2021. Writing as a upcoming Junior who has just completed her trip, I can say that this was truly the best experience of my life. Going into this trip, I had been looking forward to it for months and months. Just like that it rolled around and suddenly, I was with 20 kids I had never met before. At first I'm sure most of us were anxious to how we would be like. But within the first week we all clicked, all of us genuinely got together so well and began to embark on experiences we never would have had otherwise. The activities and little moments we had every single day made it feel unreal. Being able to witness the ceilings of the Vatican, roaming Tivoli's villa gardens... We laughed, even cried. I could not have asked for a better group to be with. The program itself was great, structured time for our course, and free time in the city. We explored new culture, people, food, language, in every sense. I was too busy and having too much fun to be homesick so that's a plus. By the time we were all content and starting to really take in everything, the program had ended. In the end, I was actually heartbroken and devastated to leave my new friends and the beautiful city of Rome. I know we will meet again someday and I will see Rome again, but CIEE made such a wonderful program there that has given me some of the most life changing experiences I will ever have. 100/100 recommend. Amazing staff on my program, I thank CIEE for giving me this opportunity. I would recommend students to apply for scholarships even if you don't think you will get one, it helped me a lot. Again, thank you to the outstanding support on CIEE's part but mostly thank you to all the students on this program with me! You've made it truly unforgettable. <3

Sincerely, Julia Sogol Alamdar

Have fun. Be flexible, and remember you are only going to have this moment once. Once it passes, it's gone. Enjoy every single second of your trip and make memories you won't forget. I know I did.
Aleksey

Amazing Overall

The program was amazing. Nothing to say here. The family experience was where most of my learning and growth happened. Of course it depends on how you spent time with family, but I personally ensured that we stayed in the target language, Italian, for most of the time with rare exceptions. I learned a little more about Italian culture and their norms as well as a significant language boost which the classroom could never provide. I took 2 trips with my host family outside Ferrara, and a couple times we went out within Ferrara to the movies or something else. The classroom was great. My teacher was very kind, and not strict at all like the program staff. The projects we did and their presentations helped me learn as well. But to be completely honest, I expected the classroom to benefit me more than it did. The family experience turned out to be much more effective than the class. Then there were the weekend trips and after school activities with CIEE. We got to tour a theater, make pizza, make pasta, learn to sing, learn photography, etc. All those activities may not have necessarily helped with learning the language, but rather they helped learn the culture. They were all very fun and entertaining so I'm glad they were there. The 2 weekend trips to Venice and San Marino were also very good. We had a lot of free time there to roam with friends and enjoy sight seeing, as well as some shopping. I only have two criticisms for this program. 1. The missions in the street- They were these activities where we had to approach strangers in Ferrara and ask them questions and have a conversation. Most of them turned out very awkward and I ended up faking all the ones for the last week. It seems like a good idea but in practice it just puts students into uncomfortable scenarios. Perhaps it may work with a few tweaks. 2. Program leaders - They seemed nice at first but there were moments where they acted very unfair and unreasonable. They are biased towards certain students, and don't give chances for behavioral improvement. Basically, if they see something negative in you the first day, you are going to have a bad experience with them for the rest of the program. I personally was on their good side but I still noticed how unreasonable they can be at times, sometimes on a very small but irritating scale. For example, I didn't do an assignment along with 7 other people because there was a misunderstanding on the due date. They ended up pulling me out mid way through a movie we were watching to make it up. I feel like that was a little unfair. There was also a point where we were buying water and the program leaders told us to leave the store just as we were about to pay for it because apparently we had to go. We have to put the water back and upon exiting the store, we took a few steps away and stood there with the rest of the group doing nothing for 10 minutes while they figured stuff out. We could have bought water and it wouldn't hurt anyone. The program leaders also cancelled the third weekend trip because of rain and the rain never happened. Felt like they were simply lazy to go and jumped at the first excuse. There were many other much worse examples that happened with other students though like I said, I kept to their good side. My opinion on this program overall is that CIEE puts you through an amazing immersive experience, but the program leaders break some of that immersion.

The program leaders need to be a little less uptight about little things and should be more trusting and flexible. They seemed so paranoid every time we went on a weekend trip, or in Ferrara at time, as if they doubt our judgement or their own ability to keep us under control.
Olivia

Unforgettable Journey

Going to Peru for a month is by far one of my best experiences. I enjoyed myself on this trip. At first, it was very difficult because it was a new environment and everyone spoke to me only in Spanish: the teachers, my host family, everyone. I always wanted to become fluent in Spanish, so this was helpful for me to have this immersion. My favorite experience was when I went to Machu Picchu. The scenery was amazing and the town was even better. My friends and I had pizza at a restaurant, then we listened to some music in the main plaza. Another thing that I loved was my host family. They were so kind and spent a lot of time with me and my roommate. I genuinely feel that my Spanish has improved living in Peru. I recommend this program to anyone who is interested in expanding their horizons and learning the Spanish language.

The activities were planned very close together. It was a little overwhelming.
Isabel

Having fun down-under!

I choose to study abroad with CIEE because I wanted to get outside of my comfort zone; I’m generally shy and quiet but I love animals. At the beginning of my program I didn’t know anyone but by the end I had made so many amazing friends along the way, and I still keep in touch with most of them. The program leaders were fabulous and so much fun to be around (I was room mates with one). The excursions you do on this trip were so incredible and absolutely life changing. Seeing the animals on T.V. Or in zoo is okay but going out into the wild and seeing them in person was such a surreal experience. For those of you who are thinking about going abroad I highly recommend doing so; you will regret it if you don’t. If you are one of those people who love animals, loves helping them and learning about them, making a difference and isn’t afraid to get on you hands and knees; this is the program for you.

There is nothing that I would actually “improve” about the program, but originally we (my program group) we going to go to an Australian animal rehabilitation center. On the program I later learned that the center called to say the we cant come and visit because it wasn’t open to the public. That wasn’t necessarily CIEE or the programs fault but I was still a little disappointed.
Rachel

My Experience in Ghana

I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I know for a fact that I wasn't expecting it to be like that. I admit, the beginning was tough. I didn't feel like I fit in with the other participants, I wasn't used to cold showers and bugs in my room and sheets that would never stay in place, I was bored out of my mind during orientation, and I had no idea children were so exhausting and journal entries were so hard to write. I admit, I felt like I didn't belong. I felt a little like a small stain in this country that wasn't mine in the first place. But those challenges are what helped me grow the most. And I think(hope), I've become a much better person because of it. I feel more confident, more comfortable in conversation, more appreciative of things I didn't see before, more flexible, more motivated, more at peace with myself. And those are things that would've taken me a lot longer than 3 weeks had I not gone on that trip-- frankly, some of those things never would've happened had I not gone on that trip. And I am so thankful I did. Ghana was beautiful and good to me and I miss her already.

Honestly, it was perfect. Wish we learned "have a good day" in Twi instead of the days of the week, though.
Karina

My son had a great experience visiting Ferrara, Italy

I had my doubts when sending my teenage son to another country but I have to say that CIEE exceeded by far my expectations. The communication with the coordinators was wonderful and they guide me trough every step of the way. The chaperones made me feel immediately comfortable and I was able to live my son's experience by reading and seeing the pictures they were posting on the blog.

My son couldn't be happier with his host family, the food, excursions and the culture in general. Seriously, CIEE thought of everything to make his trip a great experience.

His Italian improved greatly, he made tons of friends, was introduced to new variety of foods and I, myself made friends with the hosting family and can't wait to meet them in person.

I would strongly recommend studying abroad with CIEE.

Trenton

An amazing experience and a great place to improve Spanish skills

My program in Valparaíso, Chile, recently ended and I am returning to the United States where I live (unfortunately). First of all, let me say that this program is absolutely amazing, but it still has its pros and cons. When I began my journey, I received nothing less than support from on-site staff, program leaders, and language teachers. I do not recall any bad experience with them and I will miss them as much as I will miss the destination itself. They were all very nice, respectful, and helpful. My host family and host sibling placement was amazing. I got along well with them and the only problem I had was with the bathroom in the house breaking and a slight invasion of ants into the hallway (which is out of control of anyone). The activities in this program are almost always enjoyable. There is a lot of walking, and viewing street art and museums, which can be boring if you aren't into that. The larger weekend trips (one of which was overnight) were amazing. One problem with being so busy is just how tired you will get. The projects and journals for class are also required and very time consuming. You must be prepared to be going and doing all the time, and you will have fun on this trip!

Less coursework, more free time, no ´reflection journals´