SStS Bolivia: Rural Health Care in the Amazon

Experience the Bolivian Amazon, learn about indigenous cultures and immerse yourself in rural Andean life while exploring Lake Titicaca.

SERVE:
With SStS, you will have the chance to work shoulder-to-shoulder with our trusted NGO partner, the Rio Beni Health Foundation. As part of your work, you will build and deliver life-saving water filters to rural indigenous communities along the Amazon River.

EXPERIENCE:
You will have the opportunity to learn about the ecology and culture of the Bolivian Amazon as well as experience rural Andean life while trekking on the beautiful island of Lake Titicaca.

LEARN:
As part of your experience, you will learn about ethical leadership and global citizenship through SStS's unique Five Lens Curriculum. In addition, you will be immersed in the Spanish language throughout your time in Bolivia.

THE SSTS DIFFERENCE:
-Small groups (10-12 students)
-Leadership curriculum
-Expert course instructors
-Trusted NGO partners

• Learn about rural health care and life saving bio-sand filters.
  • Travel to rural indigenous communities along the Bolivian Amazon.
  • Hear stories of life in the Amazon and enjoy soccer with local kids.
  • Experience a jungle that provides life to more species than any other place on Earth.
  • Immerse yourself in rural Andean life while on Isla del Sol, an island in Lake Titicaca.

Selwyn

Bolivia 2017

My trip to Bolivia was a once in a life-time trip and I encourage you to sign up. My experiences traveling in the Amazon Basin, living in an indigenousness community and experiencing their way of life, gave me a different perspective on everyday life. You will learn to appreciate little things in life, especially your access to water. The work can be hard at times but it's all worth it by the end. Throughout your travels, you will meet amazing and unique people and develop lifetime relationships. All in all, this trip was an incredible experience that I will never forget.

Everything was great!
Emma

Bolivia SStS Summer 2017

The trip to Bolivia that I took last summer has changed my life. It has brought me awareness about clean water, experience in another country, and a second family. I was nervous to go on the service trip, leaving my family and friends behind for 16 days, but it was the best decision of my life. I learned so much, met so many new people, and made connections to last lifetimes. The people you meet on your journeys will never be forgotten and will bring you so much joy throughout your time there. Yes, the work is hard, but trust me, when you install those filters, and see clear water running out, when you see the smiles of the people's whose lives you improved, it is beyond worth it. If you are considering doing this trip, I encourage you to. You will not regret it.

I don't think that this program needs improvement.

About Students Shoulder-to-Shoulder

SStS essentially began with a question: what can we do? As classroom educators striving to teach our students about many of the pressing problems that exist in the world, as well as potential solutions for addressing them, students were...