View Other Details
Immerse yourself in the Andes: perform a ritual ceremony for Pachamama, trek over snow-swept passes, and discuss the impacts of large-scale resource extraction with local communities.
In the heart of South America, the Andes Mountains and dense jungles of the Amazon inform daily life at every turn. Known as a land of extremes, Bolivia is home to some of the most staggering cultural and ecological diversity on the planet. Host to 36 distinct ethnic and language groups, vast mountain ranges, dense Amazonian jungle, and a shifting socio-political landscape, Bolivia provides a vast panorama for students to explore the links between past and present in the heart of South America. Students integrate into several local communities through extended home-stays, focused language study, and a direct engagement with local activists and politicians.
Scholarships and college credit available.
We offer comprehensive, personal home visits so that we can answer your questions in person. One of our expert staff members will present on our program options and share stories from their own formative Where There Be Dragons program. To request a home visit in less than 2 minutes, fill out this form.
- Explore land use and relationships, indigenous identity and representation, social and political activism, the coca leaf, sustainable agriculture, and the arts.
- Enjoy a 10-day homestay outside of Cochabamba, and a shorter homestay in a rural mountain community.
- Take on two multi-day treks in the high Andes, with additional wilderness exploration in Bolivia's lush rainforests.
- Participate in extended formal language lessons, with opportunities for language immersion throughout. Quechua classes are also available.
- Engage with issues in resource management, globalization, indigenous rights and representation, urbanization, environmental conservation, and sustainable development.
Where There Be Dragons Financial Aid & 529 Funds
Where There Be Dragons offers need-based financial aid to students that demonstrate reasonable financial need and are excited to engage with communities around the world.