The Traveling School's Fall Semester to Southern Africa

The Traveling School's Fall Semester to Southern Africa

Our fall semesters run from August 20 - December 5 in southern Africa. We travel through South Africa, exploring the diverse cultures and lasting effects of apartheid by talking with freedom fighters and community members, visiting Mandela’s birthplace, museums and monuments. We continue northward to the sand dunes of Namibia. River guides, diamond miners and local villagers educate us about the diamond industry – from discovery of ore to shining gems on a ring. Students observe African animals in National Parks, study their behaviors and visit desert and marine ecosystems. In Botswana, students are poled by Tswana guides on the Okavango Delta in traditional makoro canoes. Throughout the semester we camp under the stars, along rivers and on huge boulders in the desert. We rock climb, listen to African drums in ancient villages, help with service projects, learn to surf and tandem kayak on the Orange River.

Africa » Zambia
- Since 2003, we have distributed over $571,000 in financial aid awards

Margo
San Francisco, California
University of Oregon

Your life will never be the same, in the best way possible!

Making the decision to go abroad with the Traveling School was the best one I ever made, and has shaped my life every step of the way since. I loved it so much I even went on a second semester! The SW Africa semester is truly incredible, with breathtaking scenery at every turn, wild animals to see on every travel day, and some incredible outdoor adventures. Spend a semester traveling in an overland safari truck, camping with a full view of the beautiful starry sky, and learning greetings in languages from Tonga, to German, to Xhosa (a clicking language!). We got to learn about the impacts of apartheid in South Africa, visit the town where Nelson Mandela grew up, and spend a week in the bustling city of Cape Town. We learned to surf in the well-renowned Jeffery's Bay, rock climb in Waterval Boven, and hike Dune 45 in the Namib desert to watch the sunrise. This doesn't even touch on all of the amazing things were able to do and see during our time in Southern Africa, because every day there was a new adventure and unparalleled opportunities for academic exploration.

I genuinely cannot think of anything I would change about this program. Amazing places, people, activities and academics. I just wish I could go again!

Allegra
Bellingham, Washington
Western Washington University

Just Apply Already!

I've done a lot of semester programs, and TTS is definitely top notch. The experience is unlike anything you will ever have in a normal high school, or on another semester program. I learned a lot about my academic subjects, and myself, during my time in South Western Africa. TTS does a fantastic job of making connections with different people and organizations in the countries that we traveled in, so you are always busy! In addition the food on this semester is great because you have your own chef, Crispen, to cook for you (you have to do some prep work with him though!). This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity, and while it is difficult to leave home, I promise it will be worth it in the end. Going on a semester with the Traveling School was hands down the best decision i've ever made.

While traveling with all girls can be very empowering, it also is a little tough sometimes. But I think this also has to do with the girls who attend each semester, it's a little bit of 'luck of the draw'.

Charlotte
Oakland, CA
Western Washington University

The best experience ever.

The only negative thing about The Traveling School is that no program I do can ever live up to this.
When you are in high school you are learning - but also shaping your values, your beliefs, and your relationships to those around you and yourself. Traveling with a group of girls and your teachers allows you to focus on the basics...
I hated sitting in a classroom staring at the walls while teachers pointed to text book facts. The Traveling School allowed me to learn about history while walking through a museum: writing about a particular exhibit, researching through talking with experts as well as locals in the area. (Interdisciplinary study does not get any more real than this).
Typical day? In the mornings you wake up (usually in a tent) and then do a PE class. Then breakfast, and class- which might be counting animals in a wildlife park to later write a report on.. Lunch, traveling to the next spot, rock climbing, math class, homework time, dinner prep, and setting up the tent again... As I think about it, I realize there are no typical days in this program, each one is different and can not really be described... If you have the slightest inkling for full days with studies that last and friendships that cannot be surpassed, I suggest this program.

The girls who sign up for this program are the girls you are with. Sometimes you have to adapt to strong personalities, it is worth it.

Jessie
Tulsa Oklahoma
University of Tulsa

An incredible journey

Our days in Africa varied immensely, though each was incredible. Though it sounds cheesy, I can honestly say that the semester to South-Weet Africa changed my life. The people I met, both the girls and teachers on the trip, the guides and the people in the different towns were all unique and very welcoming. When I came home, I was a better human, with more direction in my life than when I had left. Though there were no "average" days, a somewhat normal routine was to have class in the morning and go site seeing or to a historical site in the afternoon. Some days we would have full class days, others no class at all. Each day was varied, each a new experience

Honestly I can't think of one thing to change. No I'm not being paid to write this, but it was the best experience I would have asked for. The only thing that ever was a struggle for me was homesickness. And with that, it had nothing to do with the program it was all personal.

The Traveling School offers teenage girls ages 15-18 the opportunity to explore the world and learn about themselves through academic, physical, and cultural challenges. Sixteen motivated young women and four inspiring teachers travel to a unique region of the globe for 15 weeks. Students earn