Semester and Term Programs in Asia and Australia

Beijing!
Sand Dunes
Sand Dunes
Blue Mountains

Imagine studying Buddhism in the temples of Angkor Wat, exploring the Great Wall of China in Beijing and snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef. Picture yourself taking a cruise in Ha Long bay, studying the Ming Dynasty in the Forbidden City, or seeing the effects of the Western world on the development of Communist China.

SEMESTER PROGRAMS INCLUDE MULTIPLE TERMS:

TERM 1:
Asia: Culture, Currency & Conflict | Beijing, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City, Mui Ne, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, Bangkok

Course Offered:
Grade 12 World Issues, Grade 12 International Business, Grade 12 Economics, Grade 12 Modern Media, Grade 12 English, Grade 12 Studies in Literature

TERM 2:
China and Japan: Politics and Power | Beijing, Hong Kong, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Osaka, Kyoto, Takayama, Nagoya, Tokyo

Courses Offered:
Grade 12 International Politics, Grade 12 World Cultures, Grade 12 English, Grade 12 Studies in Literature, Grade 12 Writer's Craft

Erika

Nothing Can Too This

Amazing. Honestly this trip is outstanding. This trip is probably the coolest thing I have ever done. It allows you to see different perspectives of the world, step out of your comfort zone and meet your future besties. Truly, I wish to do it all over again. This program keeps you on your toes both physically and academically. The friends and memories I made in this trip are indescribable. Also if you like adventure I highly suggest MEI, the excursions we did were unreal: Zip-Lining in Cambodia, Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reef, Swim in waterfalls in Bali. I know nothing is perfect but this trip comes pretty close to perfection.

LIVE IN THE MOMENT BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOU WILL BE BACK SLEEPING IN YOUR BED
Alex

MEI Abroad (Australia/Bali)

I had an absolutely amazing time on the Trailblazers trip. I made incredibly strong connections with all of the students and teachers and would not trade my experience for anything else. I HIGHLY recommend this trip to everybody who has a strong passions for adventure, making new friends, learning, and having fun! I fell in love with Australia and Bali, and can’t wait to be able to travel back one day. MEI truly made being on the road feel like home. Since being back, I have maintained strong relationships with everybody from the trip, and can’t wait to visit everyone soon.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was smoothie bowls! And I wish I had learned about them sooner. Although I have to say they taste much better in Bali than they do in Toronto. I also tried many dishes I can not remember the names of but were delicious.
Lola

MEI Trailblazers

My adventure with MEI was an unforgettable, life changing experience. From the places we went to the people we went with, everything and everyone was amazing. You meet a whole new group of people that become your family, including your teachers. With spending every day together, you grow together, learn together and are able to experience the world together which is so great. I recommend MEI to any student or teenager that is adventurous, wants to see the world, wants more out of school or life, or needs help finding themselves.

madison

Once in a Lifetime Experience

MEI was the most amazing experience! I made some incredible, life long friendships, saw very beautiful places, and had the best teachers. They offer a good blend of academics and fun while taking us to all of the major tourist attractions in each location assuring we don’t miss out on anything. Living away from home without my parents taught me a lot of independence and helped prepare me for going away to school best year. My business class with Simon was the best course I have ever taken, he is the best teacher I have ever had. If you have the opportunity to go on this trip, do it!

My advice would be to put your phone down. Try to live in the moment and don’t get caught up on whats going on at home. Moments pass by and you don’t even realize it until you’re looking back.
sierra

the adventure of a lifetime!

Going on MEI was one of the best decisions I could have ever made. Not only did we have this amazing opportunity to travel, meet amazing people, and be taught by the best teachers, but we were able to experience what is truly means to adventure, explore, and just feel alive. If you want to escape the ordinary, and truly step outside of your comfort zone, this is the trip for you. Every morning of these 90 days I woke up excited and eager for the adventure this new day would bring. Each day filled with unforgettable places, friends, experiences and moments, moments filled with pure joy and vitality. But on top of all this, I was also able to grow personally. MEI gives you just the right amount of guidance to help you gain independence and leadership, learn responsibly and help you find and forge this new and better version of yourself.

I would recommend that you truly just live in the moment as much as possible. Every single moment of this trip is special, and so you should try to be the most present you can be. Try and avoid being wrapped up on your phone too much, and try to keep your home life at home. Don’t dwell on what you might be “missing out on” overseas, because you are definitely not missing out on anything! You get out of this trip whatever you put into it! Also, try and get to know everyone on the trip. Don’t just stick to your own little group, branch out! I can assure you that you will have a lot more fun that way.
Sophie

The trip of a life time.

Even if it might seem scary to explore an unknown part of the world with an unknown group of people, it was one of the best decisions of my life. The teachers are incredible and strive to create a strong sense of independence, community, and curiosity in all students. This program is the reason I finally enjoy school. It gave me a new point of view on the world we live in. It is incredibly safe and I wish I could do it again. I strongly recommend this trip to any student looking for an adventure!

Don’t be scared to try new things and work towards a healthy work and play balance
Kate

Absolutely Unforgettable

I did 3 months of travel with MEI all throughout Asia and Australia. I was SO nervous when the trip started but after just a few days our group started to feel like a family. I met some of the best people and a couple I now consider my best friends. I promise you won’t find teachers that care as much as the ones on MEI. They are there for whatever you need. Not to mention they’re just amazing people. I noticed so much personal growth while I was on the trip. I really discovered who I was and who I wanted to be. I also feel like coming off of the trip, I know myself so much better. You get a chance to be super independent and manage a lot of your schedule. It taught me to use my time wisely and definitely prepared me for future schooling and university. The trip might seem a little scary but it will be the best thing you can do. Travel the world with your future best friends. I promise you won’t regret it.

Enjoy every moment. You’ll always wish you were still travelling. Manage your time well. Explore, do some more exploring and once you think you’ve explored enough, do some more. There are so many things to see.
Benoit

Personal Growth

This trip provided me with life long friends and memories. Throughout our travels from country to country we all bonded between students and with the teachers. The courses provided us with a lot of knowledge on the places we visited and the activities we did. Being able to experience these culture and cities really gave me a new point of view on my life and the world and I would do it again and again. From the people to the places, my MEI trip will hold a special place in my heart for the rest of my life.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
On the first day of our journey we woke up in Beijing and we were brought to the Great Wall. Our trip started off with such a high and never went back down.
Chloe

Big year

I am completing the big year, I traveled to Asia and Austrialia for my first semester of senior year and I will travel to Europe for the second semester of senior year. This experience and opportunity is truly once in a lifetime. I had the most incredible time on my first semester and I can’t wait for semester two to start. The people who do this program are so open-minded and mature so it makes getting along with people very easy. The places I traveled to were so amazing, destinations such as Angkor Wat and the Great Barrier Reef are dream trips on the top of most travelers lists so I feel very grateful that I was able to experience all of it. The school work is demanding and it challenges you, but in the best way possible. I feel the courses have prepared well for university because we do assignments that have purpose, rather than loads of busy work I use to do at my traditional school. If you have the opportunity to do this program I would not turn it down, it is an incredible experience that I will no doubt remember for the rest of my life.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Walking into the pre-departure meeting is the most nerve racking moment by far. The good part is that everyone is in the same boat- no one knows each other so everyone is nervous! Walking in to the room where your group and teachers are, and meeting them for the first time does feel like that first day of school moment. Although the nerves go away right after that moment. You instanley get a feeling of inclusion and welcomeness with the group as a whole.
Zoe

A Life Changing Experience

I can hands down say that studying abroad with MEI was the best decision I have ever made. Coming from a traditional high school, my preconceptions of studying abroad were pretty standard. I expected to experience, fun, community, and knowledge. What I couldn't have planned for was how just three months would drastically expand my views on the world we live in and at the same time grow my confidence and internal reflection of what it means to be a cog in the greater machine of society. With MEI you are given all of the tools and guidance to challenge yourself as far as you wish. What makes this program so unique is the self-led investigation that is encouraged throughout. The teachers would cover the required curriculum while at the same time encouraging and supporting me and my peers when our curiosity sparked by something specifically. For example, when I expressed an interest in learning how to write a proper professional email, an English assignment was adapted so I could have time set aside to explore that writing format. Or when I expressed an extreme desire to trek across Beijing to the Summer Palace, the teachers celebrated my passion and gave me the time and resources to do it. The people I met and places I visited shaped the way I think of the world at present and my views toward the future. Studying with MEI has redefined what learning means and I am so grateful for my experience on the Term 1 and 2 programs.

If I could improve anything it would be to visit more off the beaten path locations. Some of my favourite memories and best learning experiences took place in the locations that one may have never even heard of, such as Mui Ne, Vietnam, or Yungaburra, Australia.
Payton

Soaring High to Seize (Seas) the Day

I was a shy kid growing up. I never did anything that would force me out of my comfort zone. I would surround myself with my best friends. So, when I saw the MEI Fall semester online I knew I needed to apply. I needed to do something for myself. I needed to do something that would change my life. The MEI Fall Semester was incredible. There are no words to describe how amazing this experience was but I’m going to try to explain it in a few paragraphs.

First you step into a room with a bunch of people you’ve never met before in your life. Immediately you feel comfortable around them, because these will be the people you spend your next three months with. You switch roommates every location so it’s impossible not to get close with everyone on the trip. As cliché as it sounds these people will become your family. I shared so many secrets that I have never admitted to anyone in my life.

From climbing the Great Wall of China to Hiking in the Blue Mountains every experience pairs with an amazing scenic view. We walked through night markets in Beijing and Hong Kong and explored the busy streets of Ho Chi Minh City. There is not one memory that I can say was better than the rest because each day was a rollercoaster of events. In Australia we would wake up early in the morning to do an hour workout. It would drain us all of our energy, but we would rejuvenate in our beautiful three-bedroom apartments treating ourselves to homemade breakfast and showers. Next, we would have a lesson normally at a luscious green park and write in our morning notes about experiences, memories, and writing prompts provided. Afterwards we would have free time to explore the streets of the location we were in. Normally stopping in coffee shops to have our lunchtime latte while getting some work done. Later on, we would reconnect with everyone for a sport tournament or an activity. Everyday ran like this in Australia and Bali, and even though Asia was a bit more chaotic it ran the same way as well.

We developed such a common routine on the trip and got so used to the physical activity we had to partake in each day. Now that I’m back at home I miss the vigorous workouts. Even the academics were a challenge but so rewarding with every assignment we completed. We were required to present in front of the class to develop our public speaking skills, like our climate change debate in Mui Ne. Each of our presentations and book chats allowed everyone to have an equal voice. After every essay I wrote or short story I presented it felt gratifying. I knew all of my assignments broadcasted the best of my abilities and they helped me improve my communication skills.

If I can tell you anything that will convince you to come on the trip, is just know these people you meet: will be your friends for the rest of your life. As I am back to the real world, we are already planning reunions to see each other again. This trip is meant for you if you have a will and wanderlust. Everyone on this trip loved to travel, and we cherished each experience so much. The academics and physical activity may be challenging, but you can get through it and achieve your personal goals. Before I went on this trip I was lazy, I would watch TV when I woke up and watch it when I got back from school. After being on an incredible journey I don’t even think of wasting my time staring at a screen, I now am much more productive and have an even greater will to achieve everything I set my mind to.

If there is anything that you could improve it would be allowing the trip to be a few extra days at the end after ISU's and exams so that we can spend them relaxing and hanging out with our best friends.
Scorpion in thailand!
Matheson

An adventure of a lifetime

Never did I think I would look forward to going to class or go seeking out new opportunities to learn. MEI gave we a desire for knowledge and the techniques to obtain it, the idea that learning doesn’t necessarily have to happen within the confines of a classroom and within the borders of a curriculum. From sitting in Tiananmen Square to biking to Siem Reap, and to scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, my Mei adventure was the experience of a lifetime. It allowed me to make many meaningful connections with both passionate teachers and like-minded students, it allowed me to get out of my comfort zone and it shaped me as an individual. I would recommend Mei to anyone looking for the adventure of a lifetime, it is truly a life-changing experience

Emili

An Experience Like No Other

I have previously been on two trips with MEI and I can’t emphasize enough on how amazing the experience was. I wish I could explain to others how life-changing, eye-opening, and adventurous the trip really is but one would just have to experience it for themselves to really understand how spectacular traveling with MEI really is. I’ve traveled many times before I went on MEI but its very different since you really get to learn about the country you are in and experience the culture as well. Not only was my two trips with MEI amazing but it also taught me that school does not have to be a drag because for once I was always excited to attend my next lecture. Unlike regular school, the teachers are passionate about what they teach making each lesson exciting and engaging. Confidence, leadership, happiness, and friendship are just some of the things you’ll find when traveling with MEI, its an experience like no other and I wouldn’t want to have my high school experience any other way. MEI has brought happiness into my life and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to study abroad.

Caitlyn

World's Best Classroom

MEI gave me the opportunity to study in some of the worlds coolest classrooms. From learning about communism while sitting on the Great Wall of China, to learning about the Great Barrier Reef while sitting on a boat right above the Great Barrier Reef! It is amazing being able to learn about things while being immersed in them. I will never forget the things I learned and saw while travelling throughout Asia, Australia and Fiji. It was the trip of a lifetime that I would highly recommend to everyone!

Laura

Adventure of a Lifetime

I've been on multiple trips with MEI and I haven't regretted one second of them. I've had the chance to learn about the world while travelling, to make lifelong friends and to push myself out of my comfort zone by trying new things. There is nothing quite like learning about the Vietnam War while crawling around the Chu Chi Tunnels, or reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in Hyde Park, or learning about the gladiators at the Roman Colosseum. The teachers are amazing and supportive and MEI allows us to travel in a safe way and to meet new people we wouldn't normally hang out with. I avidly recommend MEI to anyone who will listen, it really is the adventure of a lifetime.

I can't think of any way this program could be improved. I've been on multiple trips that were absolutely amazing and I've had some of the best times of my life with MEI.