Wilderness Adventures | Peru

Wilderness Adventures | Peru

Travel to the ancient lands of Peru and uncover its many secrets! Explore historic Cusco, navigate the whitewater of the Urubamba as a team as you raft down its class II and III rapids, volunteer at a local orphanage, and trek through the breathtaking valleys of the Humantay and Salkantay on your way to the iconic city of Machu Picchu. Visit the colorful and historic Pisac Market before celebrating your group’s accomplishments with a final Peruvian banquet before boarding our flight back home.

South America » Peru
Program Categories

Mamie
Madison, NJ

Travel, volunteer, have fun

The Wilderness Adventures trip to Peru was an amazing experience! It was the best decision I've made. It was the perfect balance of volunteering, hard work, having fun, seeing amazing places and views, and meeting new people. I always felt safe, very comfortable, and in good hands. The trip-leaders were helpful and enthusiastic and they helped to make the trip special. The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu was the coolest thing I have ever done. It was a lot of fun camping in different places and hiking across the Andes. Getting to the top of the Salkantay pass and to the top of Machu Picchu mountain was an amazing accomplishment and experience. Seeing one of the seven wonders of the world is something I will never forget. I had never been white water rafting before, and rafting on the Urubamba River with class II and III rapids was super fun. Volunteering at each school was a great experience. I loved making a difference and being able to play with the kids and learn about them and the culture. Overall I had an amazing time and I would definitely do something like this again. I will carry the memories I made on this trip with me forever.

Emma
Sherborn

Amazing Adventure In Peru

The Peru service trip led by Wilderness Adventures was the most amazing experience of my life. One of the many stories I have is when our group was helping out at a small school in the Sacred Valley. It was after we had finished our work for the day and the sun was starting to set. A few kids from the school stayed later and we're playing some soccer. I have never been a person who is good at sports and I usually feel self conscious about playing sports in front of strangers.
However, the leaders on my trip created an environment where I felt comfortable and after one week we all became very close. Everyone began joining in the game and it was incredible. We were all screaming in Spanish and sprinting up and down the field. It almost felt like we were
competing in the World Cup. Soon the sun set and it was totally dark. You couldn't see past three feet in front of you. I felt sad that game was over but then someone pulled out their headlamp.
The game continued and as I looked around it was amazing to see that I could connect with kids from a different country who didnt speak my language. After a while the kids began to filter off to go to dinner. Eventually we headed over to diner also with huge smiles on our faces. This was one of my favorite experiences because I was so surprised and in awe of it. I will definitely never forget this trip.

The only thing I wish that could be improved is that it was longer.

Wilderness Adventures is the intersection of the summer camp experience and hard-skills backcountry education. Have fun and develop your leadership and outdoor skills while immersing yourself in new environments, cultures, and community living. Wilderness Adventures is a launch pad– an important step that teaches our