Wilderness Adventures | Peru Service

Travel to the ancient lands of Peru and uncover its many secrets! Explore historic Cusco, navigate the whitewater of the Urubamba as a team as you raft down its class II and III rapids, volunteer at a local orphanage, and trek through the breathtaking valleys of the Humantay and Salkantay on your way to the iconic city of Machu Picchu. Visit the colorful and historic Pisac Market before celebrating your group’s accomplishments with a final Peruvian banquet before boarding our flight back home.

Reilly

Wilderness Adventures Peru Review

The moment I got to Peru I was shocked by how at home I felt with the leaders and other campers. Throughout the three weeks I grew as a person pushing myself physically and mentally. My group leaders were so supportive if I ever didn’t feel well, and always could sense if something was up. The friends I made on this trip I will stay in touch with forever and am already planning to meet up with them. Overall it was by far the best 3 weeks of my summer and the activities I participated in we’re unforgettable. It was just an amazing experience from start to finish.

Andrew

An experience unlike any other

I have done many trips similar to this, however, Peru stands out as the most unique adventure I have ever experienced. I was certainly encouraged to step outside of my comfort zone. I was not even awarded the comfort of being in the same hemisphere! With enthusiastic trip leaders, a great group of friends, a superb guide, satisfying and productive community service, and an immersive trip itinerary, you are guaranteed to come back from Peru with a deeper understanding about not only the culture, but of yourself as well.

I think the pack list could be improved. Peru in the winter (which is summer in the United States) would be a reasonable temperature if not for the altitude, which makes it feel much colder than it is. Make sure to pack warm clothes!
Mamie

Travel, volunteer, have fun

The Wilderness Adventures trip to Peru was an amazing experience! It was the best decision I've made. It was the perfect balance of volunteering, hard work, having fun, seeing amazing places and views, and meeting new people. I always felt safe, very comfortable, and in good hands. The trip-leaders were helpful and enthusiastic and they helped to make the trip special. The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu was the coolest thing I have ever done. It was a lot of fun camping in different places and hiking across the Andes. Getting to the top of the Salkantay pass and to the top of Machu Picchu mountain was an amazing accomplishment and experience. Seeing one of the seven wonders of the world is something I will never forget. I had never been white water rafting before, and rafting on the Urubamba River with class II and III rapids was super fun. Volunteering at each school was a great experience. I loved making a difference and being able to play with the kids and learn about them and the culture. Overall I had an amazing time and I would definitely do something like this again. I will carry the memories I made on this trip with me forever.

Emma

Amazing Adventure In Peru

The Peru service trip led by Wilderness Adventures was the most amazing experience of my life. One of the many stories I have is when our group was helping out at a small school in the Sacred Valley. It was after we had finished our work for the day and the sun was starting to set. A few kids from the school stayed later and we're playing some soccer. I have never been a person who is good at sports and I usually feel self conscious about playing sports in front of strangers.
However, the leaders on my trip created an environment where I felt comfortable and after one week we all became very close. Everyone began joining in the game and it was incredible. We were all screaming in Spanish and sprinting up and down the field. It almost felt like we were
competing in the World Cup. Soon the sun set and it was totally dark. You couldn't see past three feet in front of you. I felt sad that game was over but then someone pulled out their headlamp.
The game continued and as I looked around it was amazing to see that I could connect with kids from a different country who didnt speak my language. After a while the kids began to filter off to go to dinner. Eventually we headed over to diner also with huge smiles on our faces. This was one of my favorite experiences because I was so surprised and in awe of it. I will definitely never forget this trip.

The only thing I wish that could be improved is that it was longer.

About Wilderness Adventures

Wilderness Adventures is the intersection of the summer camp experience and hard-skills backcountry education. Have fun and develop your leadership and outdoor skills while immersing yourself in new environments, cultures, and community living....