Trimester, Semester and Academic Year High School Programs in Japan with Greenheart Travel

Spend a trimester, semester or year studying abroad in Japan as a high school student, and live like like local while perfecting your Japanese language skills. Students are matched with a carefully screened local host family and attend a local high school for a full immersion experience abroad.

Now is your chance to explore all that the country's history, art, language, and literature has to offer while boosting your college application and having the high school experience of a lifetime!

Program at-a-glance:
- Must have 1 year of Japanese language instruction OR level 4 on the Japanese-Language -
Proficiency Test (JLPT)
- Host family accommodation provides full Japanese language & cultural immersion
- You can choose between trimester, semester or academic year lengths
- Start dates available in spring or fall
- Straightforward online application process

Program Fees:
Academic Trimester: $10,610
Academic Semester: $12,930
Academic Year: $14,260

• Flight, host family accommodations and meals included in the program fee
  • Assistance from a personal program manager before, during and after your program
  • Medical Insurance and 24/7 Emergency Contact Support
Some Activities
Japanese
Program Prices Includes:
-- Roundtrip international airfare from LAX to Tokyo
-- Host family accommodations and meals with your family
-- Medical/Accident insurance
-- Support and counseling services from in-country staff
-- 24-hour emergency support
-- Pre-departure Orientation and Preparation
-- Cultural Pre-departure Orientation (via Skype)
-- General Pre-departure Orientation (in-person or via Skype)
-- 2 Day Arrival Orientation
-- Greeting and Transfer from Airport to Orientation Site
-- Accommodation at Orientation Site
-- Orientation workshops (covering school life, host family life, Japanese culture, etc).
-- Personal assistance from a Greenheart Travel program manager
-- Letter of Recommendation upon request and successful completion of the program

Hi Rick! According to the Greenheart site they, "can accept graduated students on a case by case basis and only for certain countries" as long as you are still between the ages of 15 - 18

Kara
Arizona State University

Greenheart Travel 2015-2016 exchange

I had the desire of traveling to Japan for a year-long exchange since I was in the sixth grade, and it came to fruition when I was accepted into Greenheart Travel's program at the end of my 3rd year in high school. I studied in Tokyo, Japan for ten months during my 4th year in high school, from August 2015 to June 2016. I felt overwhelming support from my Greenheart travel coordinator, and I still stay in contact with her now, almost a full year after returning from my exchange. I felt I was adequately prepared for my experience thanks to Skype interviews with members of Greenheart Travel, and frequent email updates with packing lists, readings on culture shock, and even reverse culture shock for the time that participants returned from overseas. I would definitely recommend coordinating a study abroad through Greenheart Travel.

In regards to my exchange as a whole, it was one of the most difficult yet rewarding things that I've ever done. I have a strong relationship with one of my host families (I had two, the first who hosted me for seven months, and the second for only three), and I still contact them from time to time. I made quite a few close friends with whom I still make frequent contact. The most important thing to know is that a language barrier can be very difficult and frustrating to overcome, but it's important not to compare your speaking/comprehension ability to some one else's (especially not natives', which seems obvious but I found myself doing frequently during my exchange). Don't be afraid to speak-- you're in a foreign country to learn about said country's language and customs. If you make a mistake, learn from it, and try not to feel too embarrassed. If you aren't making mistakes, you aren't learning. And if you aren't learning, why would you be there?

The only thing I wish would have been different about my program was the time I was able to spend with other foreign exchange students that were in my program. I was only able to spend a substantial amount of time with all of them at the very beginning and the very end of my exchange, and altogether it was only about five days. While I understand it is important to assimilate to the culture you are spending your program in, it would have been nice to have gotten closer with my fellow exchange students. There wasn't much opportunity to do so, especially with those who were in a different part of the country than I was.

Julia
Brooklyn, New York
Temple University

Absolutely phenomenal!

My time in Japan was very challenging and absolutely wonderful. I essentially lived the life of a Japanese high school student for three months, and experienced more new and interesting things than I can count. Everything from going to the top of the Tokyo Sky Tree to just sitting around the kotatsu talking with my host family was amazing. It was challenging being thrown in an environment where almost nobody spoke English, and through the process I learned a ton of Japanese and really grew as a person. Before and throughout my entire trip Greenheart Travel and JIEE were very supportive and made sure I knew everything I needed to know. I feel like I was given a very realistic explanation of what to expect before I started the program. During my time in Japan, if anything was bothering me, I had a wonderful counselor I could email or talk to on the phone. Overall, I had a great experience with Greenheart Travel and would highly recommend this program.

Greenheart Travel is excited to provide authentic cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. Our programs include volunteer opportunities, short and long term teaching contracts and work and internship positions abroad. We also offer TEFL certification, high school study