Classroom Internship in Costa Rica's Cloud Forest School

Classroom Internship in Costa Rica's Cloud Forest School

The Cloud Forest School semester internship is a 4-month, field-based learning experience. Interns work as full-time assistants to a classroom teacher where they learn to plan and give lessons, evaluate student work and behavior, and refine their classroom management skills. They work closely with a cooperating teacher to assist in all aspects of the classroom.

Interns live with school homestay families, helping them to integrate into the local culture while being fully immersed in a Spanish speaking lifestyle as well. Interns attend teaching meetings, professional development sessions, and become a part of the CFS family.

• Work with our wonderful teachers and students!
  • Get authentic classroom experience!
  • Learn Spanish!
  • Be integrated into local culture!
  • Become part of the caring Cloud Forest School community!
North America » Costa Rica » Monteverde
Industry
Letters of Recommendation
Phone / Skype Interview
Host family placement (private room, 3 meals/day, laundry once per week), Spanish class twice a week, internship as a full-time teacher’s assistant in a CFS classroom, workshops and professional development, transportation to and from school daily, orientation, supervision, support, and farewell dinner.

Kayla
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Cardinal Stritch University

Amazing Experience

The Cloud Forest School is one of the best schools that I have ever had the opportunity to work with. They staff is unbelievably dedicated to the students and in turn, the interns. The bilingual challenge for me, as a native English speaker with limited Spanish, really pushed me out of my comfort zone and forced me to grow as an individual and a teacher. The students were great to work with and were very understanding of the fact that I was learning to become a teacher. They were always willing to help. I am missing it everyday.

I really have a hard time recommending anything for change. Although it is true that nothing is perfect, the CEC runs an incredible school and the powerful impact they have vastly covers any flaws.

Alicia
Monteverde, Costa Rica
University of Dayton

Costa Rican Paradise

I completed a three month counseling internship after completing my Master's in School Counseling. This experiences changed my future plan drastically. I fell in love with the Monteverde area and the Cloud Forest School. I was able to enjoy the beautiful cloud forest everyday as I walked around campus working with students and staff. The support and acceptance I experienced from the staff made my time away from home very enjoyable. In a very short time I was able to develop a home away from home. It took me a while to become accustom to finding scorpions and other insects in my living and working space, but all my experiences have left me with some great stories. I was participating in a yoga class one day when a scorpion fell off the ceiling right through my hair and onto my yoga mat! I was able to remain calm as the scorpion was tossed outside and we continued our yoga class without much interruption. That is something I have never experienced before! Through my work at the Cloud Forest School I was able to see a positive change in the lives of the students I worked with. This is the best results of any work with children in my opinion. I am so grateful that I took a leap of faith and came to Monteverde for this unique, empowering experience!

During my experience I was able to receive informal feedback from my supervisor every week. I would have liked to have a more formal process for feedback and guidance in order to get the most growth out of my experience. This feedback could have come from numerous people including administrators, teachers, and parents. I believe in the power and importance of constructive feedback.

Located in the heart of the Monteverde Cloud Forest in beautiful Costa Rica, The Cloud Forest School serves more than 200 students from Pre-K through 11th grade. We take pride in the fact that 95% of our student population are local students and that we