Public Health Medical Internship

This is an opportunity for motivated, enthusiastic, and adventurous interns to learn about the fields of medicine and public health in the most biodiverse place in the world - the Amazon rainforest. It is a unique opportunity to analyze the relationship between Western and traditional medicine in the local context.

Interns work in the Napo province which has disproportionate access to healthcare and a lack of educational resources for disease prevention. Public health interns have the option to support staff at a local hospital, rural health clinic, or a public health organization in the non-profit and/or governmental sector.

We accept medical/nursing students and healthcare professionals looking to get more experience in their fields or specializations. We also accept public and global health students and professionals

Program Highlights
  • Placement in a health clinic, hospital, or public health organization and work alongside local doctors, nurses, dentists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, and other health professionals
  • Learn about the Ecuadorian healthcare system and practice medical skills
  • Support on-going public health projects about nutrition, hygiene, disease prevention, sexual education, and other topics
  • Hands-on experience in the medical field along with the opportunity to learn about traditional medicine, plant medicine, ethnobotany, agroforestry, indigenous rights, and more
  • Research & dissertation support available with partner organizations and universities, if requested

Cindy

If you are interested in engaging in community health work, look no further!

I interned with Amazon Learning from May to July 2018. Over the course of 6 weeks, I participated in their Public Health and Traditional Medicine internship in completion of my MPH program’s curriculum. Given my concentration in global health and strong interest in investigating the intersection between Western and traditional health care practices/systems, this direction seemed suitable because it would allow me to engage in an under-researched topic within a global setting.

During my interview process, my interviewer was attentive to my interests and expressed flexibility in allowing me to combine aspects of different internships to meet my learning objectives. As part of my internship orientation, I received a cultural competency training in a group setting (this was my first time being exposed to a training of this nature). Take away points from this training established the foundation for my research (including ethical data collection methods). During my internship, I was placed in contact with local community members and experts (I lived with a local family), which enabled me to conduct ethnographic fieldwork. This facilitated a community-involved needs assessment, that informed the development and implementation of a culturally humble health promotion program for older adults.

In short, this experienced encouraged my professional growth. Beyond putting theories into practice, I took initiative to achieve my learning objectives, which helped me hone research and leadership skills. Drawing from the successes and challenges of this experience, I feel confident engaging in community needs assessments, as well as developing and implementing health programs in underinvested settings. For anybody wondering, staff members were accessible and responsive to my physical, mental, and spiritual well-being throughout the entirety of my internship. I would highly recommend interning with Amazon Learning!

Be sure to pack mosquito repellent and sunscreen!!!