View Other Details
- Interns range in age and life experience, but must be between 18 and 35 years old during their session.
- Must be able to perform demanding physical labor daily.
- Must be able to complete the entire internship session.
- For the health and safety of all of our interns, staff, residents and guests, at this time interns must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to participate.
The internship program fee covers just 1/3 of the cost to run the program each year. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, Friends of Spannocchia is grateful for generous support from private foundations, our loyal community of individual donors, and the Tenuta di Spannocchia, without which this program would not be possible.
Some transportation to nearby Rosia and Siena is included.
For over 25 years, Spannocchia’s farm internship program has been dedicated to enriching lives by providing participants with a unique educational experience on a community-oriented organic farm in Tuscany, Italy. Through involvement in the daily operations of Spannocchia as well as additional enrichment activities, interns learn about regenerative farming and animal care, conservation, maintenance and restoration, Italian language, and local cultural history. After a hiatus due to COVID-19, we are extremely excited to be relaunching the program with three 3-month-long internship sessions in 2022 (spring, summer, and fall). Interns come from all over the world, and many go on to have fulfilling careers in sustainable farming, food, or environmental fields.
- The program is based on a 45-50 hour week. Approximately 35 hours are dedicated to hands-on work and 10-15 hours are spent on the educational component of the program, including classes, group activities, and field trips.
- Farm work can be extremely rewarding, as there are opportunities to learn new skills and interact closely with Italian workers, who can provide a wealth of knowledge about Tuscan farming techniques and cultural traditions.
- Interns live on-site in Casa Pulcinelli, a large farmhouse with double-occupancy rooms, and they share meals together, work together, and often spend free time together.
- Spannocchia values community. Farm-to-table dinners are eaten in the main Villa, with various residents and guests.
- Beyond the internship, we offer alumni networking opportunities to help build both personal and professional connections.