Sea Turtle and Marine Conservation Internship in Malaysia with Tengah Island Conservation
View Other Details
- 18 years old or above.
- A background in biological sciences and/or marine conservation is desirable.
- A strong swimmer & comfortable in the water.
- A minimum of PADI Openwater Diver (preference for more advanced diving qualification and over 15 logged dives).
- Outgoing, friendly, team player, open minded, passionate about nature and conservation.
- Be able to communicate & write in English.
- Happy to share a room with another intern/volunteer.
The fee covers:
- Food and accomodation for the duration of the internship.
- Transfers to and from the mainland to the island.
- Training materials.
- Diving equipment and diving costs.
- Fun Dives
- Two free T-shirts
- Boat transfers from the mainland
Tengah Island Conservation assistants play an essential role to the continued sustainability of our conservation/research projects.
As an intern you'll get hands on training in sea turtle monitoring, hatchery management, marine biodiversity surveys and public outreach. You'll also be able to work on your diving skills as our volunteers usually carry out numerous survey dives and underwater cleanups during their time with us.
- Conservation of the endangered Green Turtle and critically endangered Hawksbill Turtle
- Reef Monitoring: Underwater surveys on coral reefs; substrate survey, fish survey and mapping coral reefs.
- Beach and underwater clean-ups
- Micro-mammals and invertebrates study
- Habitat restoration
- Educational activities with guest, resort staff and local schoolchildren
Video and Photos
- Sea turtle monitoring & hatchling release
- Coral reef surveys
- Training on coral and fish identification & survey techniques
- Live on a beautiful tropical island
- Beach & underwater clean-ups