Mexican Culture & Spanish Language - Summer Program

Age
Min. 18 years
15 travelers are looking at this program

About This Program

This summer, walk out of your comfort zone whilst learning and discovering Mexican culture! In just 4 weeks, you'll be surprised by the diversity and uniqueness Mexican culture really is - far away from the stereotypes!

Upon arrival, you will take a Spanish-language placement test which will determine the course you'll be in. Each Spanish class incorporates grammar, reading, writing, speaking, listening comprehension, and socio-cultural aspects, such as Mexican history, literature, culture seminars and a folk dance workshops.

You'll share your classes with other international students, 5 hours per day, Monday through Friday.

The program also includes trips and excursions to different cities including Mexico City and Dolores Hidalgo.

• Experience the Mexican way of life and enjoy walking though the colorful streets of Guanajuato.
  • Gain Spanish fluency by living with a Mexican host family and share daily life with them.
  • Make memories you'll never forget during weekend excursions with classmates.
  • Be part of a program that is a 100% local and that wants you to have the most authentic experience possible.
  • Visit Mexico City, Dolores Hidalgo, San Miguel Allende and more during our weekend excursions.

Your day will start around 7:30/8am with a delicious breakfast Mexican style - eggs, freshly squeezed orange juice, season fruit and coffee.

After breakfast you will walk to the Universidad de Guanajuato central building (usually around 20mins from your house) and attend classes for 5 hours everyday from Monday to Friday.

After classes you can return home to have lunch with your host family and use the rest of the afternoon to do homework in one of the many small coffee places downtown, explore the city, attend cultural activities or just go out with your friends.

COURSES: Each level integrates the teaching of grammar, reading, writing, speaking, listening comprehension as well as socio-cultural aspects like Mexican history, literature, culture seminar and a workshop of popular dance.

SCHEDULE: 5 hours every day from Monday to Friday.

What's Included
Activities
Airport Transfers
Classes
Meals
Wifi
More info on what's included:

Online Pre-Departure Orientation
Trip to Mexico City
Excursion to San Miguel de Allende
Excursion to Dolores Hidalgo
Weekly cultural activities

What's Not Included
Airfare

Mi casa es su casa, is a very popular Mexican saying that means 'My home is your home'. Our host families go through a careful screening process to make sure they've met all the conditions required and are eager to host you. Your homestay will provide:

- A private room with a bed, closet, and a desk
- Wi-Fi
- Your laundry washed once a week (optional)
- Friendship, integration as a family member, conversation in Spanish and advice when appropriate

Our host families are all within 15 - 20 minutes walking distance (or an 8-minute bus ride) from downtown Guanajuato.

Your homestay will provide three meals a day and the occasional sandwich if we have an excursion.

Video

Jul-Sep
73 F / 54 F
Oct-Dec
72 F / 45 F

Guanajuato is known as the place of frogs. Guanajuato was first popularized after silver veining was found in the areas, which have since become a UNESCO world heritage site. This charming city is small enough to be discovered completely on foot.

Hosted by CLA - Culture and Language Abroad

Culture and Language Abroad is a uniquely immersive study program based in the UNESCO World Heritage city of Guanajuato, Mexico. Unlike less personal exchange programs, we focus on designing individual curriculum experiences that are authentic to...
Fabiola Estrada Valtierra
Founder & Director
Have a question?
Send Fabiola a Message

• Instruction 9.8
Emily

¡Qué padre! My Amazing Summer with CLA Guanajuato

I had an incredible time participating in this program! The program director Fabiola was great at answering my questions and concerns before I left the US. She, along with Samantha, were wonderful tour guides, supports, and friends. CLA connected me with classes at the University of Guanajuato, where I was able to take classes with fellow international students from other programs. My host family was very kind and experienced, and lived in a vibrant and safe neighborhood. I was constantly spoken to in Spanish, which I loved because it forced me to step out of my comfort zone and learn so much so fast. The city of Guanajuato is beautiful, and is big enough to have a lot to do but small enough that by the end of your trip you feel like a local. Fabi and Sami led weekend trips for myself and the other CLA student, which were so much fun. The small group allowed us to learn so much more about Mexican history and culture. Also the food and coffee were obviously amazing. I would definitely recommend this program!

Julia

July in Guanajuato

My name is Julia, I'm a 21 year old college student from Chicago who recently went on this amazing excursion. I genuinely had no idea what to expect before getting to Guanajuato, but what I experience surpassed anything I could have hoped for. I genuinely had the best summer of my life because of this program. The program director, Fabiola, is one of the greatest people i've ever met. She is extremely committed to making sure that everyone is safe and has an enjoyable experience. We went on weekend excursions to Mexico City, Dolores Hidalgo, and San Miguel de Allende. I laughed SO much during this program, and learned a great deal of Spanish in only one month. The language school itself has wonderful teachers who are very passionate about teaching you Spanish and making sure that you understand the culture. I am very glad I did this program instead of directly enrolling in the language school, because I received such an immersive experience into Mexican culture. Guanajuato itself is such a hidden gem, it has: music, food, and tons of places to explore. Guanajuato is an incredible city, it has retained its authenticity while still being a relatively big city. That being said, it is not a huge city by any means, nor is it extremely touristy. Most of the tourists in Guanajuato come from other Mexican cities. Mexico, and Guanajuato in particular, is so interesting and different from American culture, there is something here for everyone. I would recommend staying with a host family because it is was one of the most rewarding experiences of my trip. I will be returning to Mexico during Christmas, and I hope to see both Fabiola and my host mother while i'm there!

Matthew

Summer Fun

If you are looking for an amazing culture filled experience, look no further!! I have recently returned from Mexico and had a great time. I was able to meet a lot of great friends from Mexico as well as from many other countries around the world. When I arrived in Guanajuato my Spanish was very basic, I knew some words and phrases but that was about it. After a month in the program, I was speaking fluently on a conversational level and able to interact and engage in many facets of Mexican society and culture. Guanajuato is a really special place, it is big enough to always have something to do and explore, but small enough to maintain some of its old world charm. Think cobblestone streets, old beautiful cathedrals, and narrow alleyways filled with museums and cafes. I was able to travel to a few other cities in Mexico before I returned to the US, and Guanajuato remains my favorite. You will understand why when you get there! The reason this is such a great program is because it blends your education at the university with cultural events and trips with the Mexican people. You will attend classes at the University of Guanajuato, it is one of the best schools in Mexico and is centrally located in the heart of the city. There are over 20,000 students who attend the University which creates a really cool atmosphere in the city. It makes it really easy to meet other students and find out about parties/events etc. as you have a common bond with the other students. I made friends from all around the world who attended the school, and my Mexican friends helped me immensely with the language. In addition to your classes, you can take part in various events and trips set up by Fabiola the program director. We took a trip to Mexico City (which was awesome), went hiking, and attended many other cultural festivities. The program director Fabiola is the best, she takes care of everything and is always available for anything you need. More importantly, she arranges and goes to all the events with you, making your transition in a foreign country very smooth. I knew some friends in Guanajuato who were with other programs and they had a very different experience because their programs didn’t organize as well or introduce them to the local community. They were constantly coming to our CLA trips and events! Overall, I had an awesome summer and plan to return to Guanajuato soon. Sign up for this program, you won’t regret it.

Monica

Guanajuato 2018

I was incredibly impressed with my trip with CLA to Guanajuato. I went to improve my proficiency in Spanish and learn about my heritage and I ended up gaining so much more. By the end of the month I was completely thinking in Spanish without having to translate everything into English first and even slept talked in Spanish which tells you it was deep in my subconscious. The classes that you will take at the University of Guanajuato are very well rounded so that you learn grammar, culture, literature, history, and dance with teachers who really care. The entire trip is completely immersive which is the most effective way to learn a language when paired with language classes. My host mom was amazing and made me feel at home from the very first day. It was also way easier to make friends than I expected. Fabiola, the director, made herself incredibly available to any need we had and planned so many fun and cultural activities to make the most out of our month in Guanajuato. I left Guanajuato in LOVE with Mexico and plan on returning more long term in the future. This program is the ultimate to experience Mexico as a one time trip or a tester before a more long term move.