Learn Spanish in Bocas del Toro, Panama

Spanish Immersion + Active Pursuits and 2019 Early Bird Special!

5% - 15% Discount OFF 2019 Spanish Courses PLUS:
- Whitewater River Rafting
- Horseback Riding
- Island Hoping
- Sailing

Bocas del Toro is a funky, laid back archipelago, dotted with pristine islands of white sand beaches, coconut trees and crystal clear turquoise waters. Bocas attracts off the beaten path travelers in search of uncrowded beaches, first class surfing and scuba diving, a chilled and authentic nightlife, and endless opportunities of wildlife encounters both on land and under the Caribbean Sea.

Habla Ya Bocas del Toro holds accreditation from the Instituto Cervantes as well as being an Official DELE Examination Center, and is one of the most and best reviewed immersion programs in Central America, offering you everything from Group to Private Lessons, Medical Spanish or Spanish for Teachers.

Improve your Spanish, explore stunning beaches and make friends from all over the world. Habla Ya will take care of every single detail, setting you up in the most suitable accommodation according to your budget, as well as offering you loads of eco-adventure and volunteering opportunity.

• Instruction 9.7
Tara

This is an excellent school and an excellent place to visit!

Boquete and Bocas were great places to visit. Lots of fun activities to keep one busy. The school was awesome. My two teachers were terrific Leidys and Benita. They made learning fun! Would likely recommend the area and the teachers!! I did white water rafting in Boquete that was an absolute blast. The rapids were fierce and there were plenty of them. Need to be in decent shape to do this trek. Also did zip lining which was a lot of fun. My family in Boquete was great. They only spoke Spanish which was perfect because it forced me to have to speak the language. My family in Bocas spoke English and although they were extremely nice and I enjoyed my stay, the next time I do immersion I'm going to require that they don't speak any English, it's better that way because it forces me to speak the language.

Chelsea

Bocas Locos

I will never forget my experience at HablaYa in Bocas Del Toro. Iraida was my teacher for 3 weeks and now I call her my friend! I took the beginner group course for grammar/conversation, and private tutoring for medical terminology. Iraida was so patient and planned each class very thoughtfully. She tailors her teaching methods to each individual and never seemed to mind repeating herself a few times before we understood what the task was. I don't know how she didn't get frustrated haha but she is a very good teacher. You can tell she is passionate about sharing her language and culture. Before I came to Bocas, I could not say more than "Hola, Que paso, Me llamo Chelsea" , y ahora puedo hablar con mi amigos en espanol! My goal was to be able to have a conversation for at least 30 minutes in Spanish, and I am very happy with my progress. The only regret I have is that I was not able to stay longer. I hope to visit HablaYa again and recommend this school to everyone!

Cathy

Habla Ya in Boquete--Awesome Experience!

I attended Habla Ya in Boquete for three weeks. Alex was my Spanish teacher. He is extremely knowledgeable. He is an excellent teacher. He challenged me and encouraged me to improve each day. I looked forward to coming to his class. He was fun and engaging. He explained things and gave great examples so that I could understand things clearly. Alex has a huge heart and a passion for teaching. My experience at Habla Ya was fantastic!

Bree

Wonderful teacher!

We did a two week course at the Bocas campus with an amazing teacher Iraida! We had very very little Spanish and were in the most basic course that was perfect for our needs. There were 3 people in the class for the first week and then it was just us! We completed almost the 3 week course in 2 weeks, iraida tailored everything to our needs! She is possibly the most patient person on the planet, she corrected our mistakes gently and consistently. We had lots of fun in the lessons, playing games and going on an excursion one day. Absolutely loved our time there, made so by our teacher! Would recommend.

Jacquelyn

Learn Spanish in Bocas!

I had an excellent experience learning Spanish in Books del Toro at Habla Ya. I took group classes for 3 weeks with Erian my first week and with Iraida the second and third weeks. The group class sizes were always very small with about 3-5 students in the class including me. The teachers were very qualified and prepared for class. The classes included many opportunities to practice speaking, which is what I wanted the most out of class. I had learned Spanish previously in high school and university but I felt I had forgotten many of the verb tenses I had learned. The pace of the classes at habla ya helped me to relearn what I had forgotten and the extensive practice using them in conversation helped me to use them more naturally in conversation. I feel much more confident in my speaking ability after taking these classes. Thank you so much!

Amber

Habla Ya - Boquete campus

Habla Ya is the 7th Spanish school I’ve studied at in Latin America. I’m happy I chose to study at the Boquete campus. The town itself is beautiful and I had a great walk to and from my homestay through the lush scenery every day. My teacher, Alex, made class fun and lively. I could tell the other teachers, like Laidys and Erian, were also effective teachers. I was most impressed with how helpful and lovely Giselle was in the front office. She helped arrange a great weekend trip for us with one of the many tour agencies in town. Julio, an Habla Ya Travel Consultant, helped us plan our weekend in Panama City even though we were not taking classes at that campus. The staff, other students, my homestay family - they all made my time in Panamá unforgettable!

Donna

Fun way to study Spanish

Last week I studied Spanish in a small group (1 or 2 others) with an amazing teacher, Iraida. She was my age (23) and we were able to have many conversations (in Spanish of course) about her life and experiences and ours (also all from different cultures). I believe that in a week time I have improved my Spanish in a way that I am now able to make full sentences in numerous situations, and my vocabulary has improved a lot. Lastly I really enjoyed playing games in class to study Spanish in a fun way. Thanks Habla Ya and especially Iraida!!

I thought it was really nice as it is
Hannah

Habla Ya is awesome!

I love these schools! I spent two weeks in beautiful Boquete with Leidys, and I can't say enough good things about her. She is a clear and concise teacher; you will grow leaps and bounds in a short amount of time! I also had my two sons, ages 12 and 7 in the program with Kimberley, Yeremy, and Alexander and they have very positive experiences.
We are currently in Bocas Del Toro and we are having excellent experiences here as well. We just finished our first week and have one week left. My teacher here is Sergio and he is also excellent. My sons have Jessica and Lynette and they both are growing and comprehending so much! We will have four weeks total in the program by the time we return home, and it will be difficult to say goodbye to the beautiful country and people of Panama. :)
If you want to learn a lot in a short amount of time come to Habla Ya! They do a wonderful job with their methodology and with their teacher training. I am planning on continuing with online lessons after I return home!

Mike

Spanish in Bocas

My wife and I attended this program for a month. We both had had previous Spanish courses in the US but had forgotten much of it. From day one it was all Spanish with the instructor (Iraida) who was very patient as I butchered the language especially trying to roll my rr's (which did get better). We used a mini group format for just my wife and I which worked best for us since we were at the same level (low ability). We also attended 2 hours of private instruction in the afternoon after a 3 hour break . My wife was focusing more on medical Spanish (with Sergio) and I was working on making the basics solid. We did finish our basic course and receive our first level certificates. We enjoyed Bocas and the school and hope to return for more instruction.

The office staff at the school in Bocas (Carlos, Cesear and Ludo) were always very helpful and very eager to assist us with anything we wanted to know about (such as places to tour in the area). I wanted to surf (surfed for many years) but getting a board and then transporting to the other island to surf was becoming a problem. The guys in the office put me in touch with Chapos (great beginner instructor and good surfer) so he and I went surfing one morning (I paid him as a guide service) and it was well worth it. The office guys can help out with private tours if you want too, since they are a great source of local knowledge.

Our only negative was our lodging (1 bedroom Bocas Condos) which was represented as quite and it was not. 2 dogs barked all hours of the night which made sleep difficult. Possibly the studio rooms on the opposite side of the building maybe ok. The building is secure and close to town. It seems that the staff in Panama City handles the lodging so there is no checking on the actual accommodations therefore the information about lodging may not be accurate. Muchas Gracias Iraida y Sergio.
Mike & Kaja

Rachel

Amazing month in Bocas

I spent 4 wonderful weeks at Habla Ya in Bocas del Toro. Erian was my professor in group classes and he is amazing. He’s patient, kind, and fun. I learned a ton in a beautiful place and I can’t wait to return. Many thanks to Habla Ya!

Pasé 4 semanas maravillosas a Habla Ya en Bocas del Toro. Erian fue mi profesor en las clases del grupo y el es increíble. El es paciente, amable, y divertido. Yo aprendí muchísimo en un lugar muy bonito y no puedo esperar a regresar. Muchas gracias a Habla Ya!

Lea

Un mes en el paraíso

Estaba 4 semanas en Bocas del Toro en HablaYa y nunca voy a olvidar eso tiempo. Me quede en una familia y tome el curso del grupo y una hora de clase privada.
*I spent 4 weeks in Bocas del Toro in Habla Ya and I will never forget that time. I stayed with a family and took the group course and a private class.

Me quede en la familie Ortiz. La madre Maribel es muuuy amable y simpatico. Me sentia como si fuera su hija. Ella cocino todos los dias comida muy rica. Ella siempre estaba bailando y cantando y por eso teniamos siempre mucho para reirse en la casa.
*I stayed in the Ortiz family. Mother Maribel is very kind and friendly. I felt like I was her daughter. She cooked very rich food every day. She was always dancing and singing and so we always has lots of laughs at the house.

Yo tenia la suerte de tener clase con la prima de Maribel, Benita Georget. Ella es una profesora muy amable. La clase siempre era divertido y todos los días me alegre de ir a la escuela. En la clase aprendí mucho. Como yo estaba en un nivel bastante alto, hemos hecho muchos análisis y conversaciones. Mi hora de clase privada también tenia con Benita. Siempre hablábamos mucho y si tuve una pregunta ella trato de explicarme con mucho paciencia.
*I was fortunate to have a class with Maribel's cousin, Benita Georget. She is a very kind teacher. The class was always fun and every day I was glad to go to school. In the class I learned a lot. As I was at a fairly high level, we did a lot of analytics. My private class was also with Benita. We always talked a lot and if I had a question she tried to explain me with a lot of patience.

Pero no solo en la escuela nos vimos. Los profesores tambien salieron con los estudiantes. Pasábamos nuestro tiempo libre juntos y por eso podia hacer amistades muy buenas. En Bocas del Toro se puede haver muchos cosas. Tiene muchos actividades organizada de la escuela y todos las playas son increíbles.
*But we did not just meet at school. The teachers also went out with the students. We spent our free time together and that's why I could make very good friendships. In Bocas del Toro there are many things to do. It has many organized activities from the school and all the beaches are amazing.

Entonces, aconsejaría a todos de venir a Bocas y pasar un tiempo increíble.
*I would advise everyone to come to Bocas and have an amazing time.

Aimee

Awesome experience! Great schools/options/flexibility!

I was a student at Habla Ya school in Boquete, Panama for two weeks. I loved it! The school is centrally located and there is a great coffee shop next door to help you stay on point! The office is well organized, the common space is comfortable, the schedule of extracurricular activities is diverse, and the classrooms are clean. I super enjoyed my time there! Leidys was my teacher and she is fantastic! She was always punctual, professional, positive, and flexible. My classmate and I had to spend part of one class at the doctor and Leidys made sure we spoke only Spanish with him. We learned so much and also made close friendships. I miss my time there so much! Thanks Habla Ya! Muchas gracias Leidys!

Yo era estudiante en la escuela Habla Ya en Boquete, Panamá por dos semanas. Me encanto! La escuela está en el centro y hay una buena café al lado para ayudarle a prestar atención! La oficina está bien organizada, el espacio común es cómodo, el horario de actividades extracurriculares es diverso, y las aulas están limpias. Me super disfruté de mi tiempo allí! Leidys fue mi profesora y ella es fantástica! Siempre fue puntual, profesional, positiva y flexible. Mi compañera de clase y yo tuvimos que pasar parte de una clase en el médico y Leidys se aseguró de que hablamos sólo español con él. Aprendimos mucho y también hicimos buenos amigos. Extraño tanto a Panamá! Gracias Habla Ya! Muchas gracias Leidys!

I had two teachers that took pretty different approaches so my experience was well balanced. I would only say that I would have appreciated a little more instruction in the use of colloquial language as that is what I will use more in my work when speaking with families. Overall, I felt that I got a lot out of it and would consider adding private instruction to my group course next time.
Kristin

Online Experience

I have tried many different approaches to learning Spanish. I decided that even though some of the web based applications and college courses may be helpful, nothing beats a face to face conversation with a native Spanish Speaker. I signed up for 20 hours of online lessons with Habla Ya since i am currently unable to travel for a foreign based immersion program. I was assigned Eliana Alejandra as an instructor. She was wonderful! My goal was not to be hammered with grammar lessons, but instead to practice every day conversations. We went over things that I had questions about and she was able to explain the answers very clearly and provide exercises for homework for my weaknesses. I feel like this class was very helpful. We would converse about whatever was going on at the time, about what I did yesterday or what I wanted to do in the future. It was very practical and I also picked up some new vocabulary along the way. I think the price is appropriate and I can't wait until I am able to travel to Panama to learn in person, face to face instead of using an internet connection.
**I put a 10 for housing only because this site requires a response. I did not physically travel to Panama**

The only problem I noticed was the quality of the internet connection at times. Obviously this may not be an easy fix as weather can affect internet service.
Esther

Great learning experience

This is already my second time at Habla Ya in Bocas del Toro. The first time I came here to study Spanish in 2015 (for 5 weeks) and I liked it so much that I returned this year again :)
This time I took three weeks of group classes (level C1) with Benita. I would have loved to stay longer but it’s not possible because of work. I can only recommend this institution, the school offers a really good service, you feel very welcome, there is help whenever and with whatever you need, there is a lot group activities and it feels like being part of a big family.
Especially the lectures with Benita were definitely incredible. I would like to compliment her. She fills the lectures with various exercises like telling stories, reading, writing, grammar parts, interpreting texts, listening to songs, playing scrabble on a Friday. The content is put together in such a way that you won’t feel like sitting in a class room. It rather feels like sitting together for a coffee and discussing different topics but nevertheless you are learning a lot. Well... sometimes we were indeed drinking a coffee during class, Benita looks after her students in such a lovely way as a mama :)
Thank you a lot, Benita, for creating such a good atmosphere for learning!

Valerie

3 weeks in Bocas

I studied Spanish for a month in Bocas and Boquete. I spent 3 weeks in Bocas fell in love with the place and the people. Benita was my teacher in Bocas . I recommend that if you'd like to learn Spanish - Panama is a great option. If you like to go out at night and enjoy beaches Bocas is certainly for you. I would recommend you try Deep boarding, kayaking, visit Starfish beach, Isla Caranero, Mamallena hostel, try Captain Caribe for food - patacones anywhere and try and use the Spanish you learn as much as possible because you won't be in a position to use it like this again!

About Habla Ya Spanish Schools

Learn Spanish by the Caribbean Sea, in the cloud forest, in Latin America's most cosmopolitan city, or at the three of them!

With locations in Panama's most exciting destinations by the beach (Bocas del Toro), in the mountains (Boquete), and in...