Learn Spanish in Bocas del Toro, Panama

Win FREE Flight to Panama, $500 USD + 3 Week Spanish Immersion Vacation with Classes and Active Pursuits

Learn Spanish and have the vacation of your lifetime:
- Daily Yoga Lessons
- Whitewater River Rafting
- Horseback Riding
- Island Hoping
- Sailing

Bocas del Toro is a funky, laid back archipelago, dotted with pristine islands of white sand beaches, coconut trees and crystal clear turquoise waters. Bocas attracts off the beaten path travelers in search of uncrowded beaches, first class surfing and scuba diving, a chilled and authentic nightlife, and endless opportunities of wildlife encounters both on land and under the Caribbean Sea.

Habla Ya Bocas del Toro holds accreditation from the Instituto Cervantes as well as being an Official DELE Examination Center, and is one of the most and best reviewed immersion programs in Central America, offering you everything from Group to Private Lessons, Medical Spanish or Spanish for Teachers.

Improve your Spanish, explore stunning beaches and make friends from all over the world. Habla Ya will take care of every single detail, setting you up in the most suitable accommodation according to your budget, as well as offering you loads of eco-adventure and volunteering opportunity.

• Instruction 9.6
Tabitha

sucessfull development of Travel language skills

I just finished 4 1/2 unplaned weeks of language school in Bocas. I got in, in the middle of the week and just could attend a on going class. In my second week i could switch to private classes in the afternoon. So many thanks to the frontdesk for the flexibility. With Lineth i got an amazing teacher who was always adapting properly to my language level in speaking und boosting it in such a short time to a new level! So I got really into spanish and got joy of using it, what made me take 3 weeks more of private lessons with Lineth. By arriving i couldn‘t even build one proper sentence, now am able to have a real conversation.

First i really would have prefered to take private classes in the morning, whats not possible, as the teachers have regular classes in the morning. but with classes from 3-5 you still have time to do something in the morning or learning a bit on your own. Some people take 4 hours of private classes per day-> for me 2 hours per day where perfect as its more intens (2 classes private are equal to 4 hours in a regular class)

ps. i cant t rate the housing as i did organise it on my own.

Jason

Great place to learn or improve your Spanish

A great place to learn Spanish. I initially only signed up for 1 week but added a second week because I was really enjoying it and learning a lot. Benita is an amazing and patient teacher who knows her stuff. Expensive but worth the money.

Bocas itself didn't have as great and as convenient beaches as I was expecting but it was still a really cool spot. Mamallenas was a nice hostel with an amazing back deck that you can swim from.

Now I just need to keep practicing to make sure I don't lose what I have learned. So far I have found it a lot easier to get around Central America with my improved Spanish.

And now I'm just rambling to get my characters up to 750. Not sure why they need so many characters to write a simple review. Need 6 more, there we go.

Mark

Great Experience

My family and I spent two weeks at the Habla Ya Bocas del Toro campus. Our experience was great. My teacher Benita was outstanding. She did a great job of push us forward at a pace that kept things moving. She was always happy to change gears to meet our individual learning needs. This was my first time taking a Spanish class and my Spanish grammar improved significantly. It was a great experience.

My daughters (10 and 6) had classes with Yessica who was absolutely great

The town was beautiful and felt very safe. Important, traveling with a young family. We did a homestay with Romaldo and Viodelda who were lovely! They made an effort to help us practice our Spanish, and the food was incredible. It was a highlight of our trip! We would definitely recommend this experience!

Mark

Great Experience

My family and I spent two weeks at the Habla Ya Boquete campus. Our experience was great. My teachers Alex and Leydis were outstanding. They were attentive and tailored the content to my learning needs. This was my first experience taking Spanish classes and I feel much more confident speaking now!

My daughters (10 and 6) had classes with Erian who was absolutely incredible - the girls were excited to be there, worked hard for the entire 4 hour class and picked up a ton of Spanish.

The town was beautiful and felt very safe. Important, traveling with a young family. We stayed nearby at the Isla Verde which was beautiful. The town is lovely with orange trees everywhere. Pretty much everything was walkable which was great too. It was overall a great experience and I would absolutely go back again.

C

4 weeks in Bocas and Boquete

The highlights of this school are their dedicated teachers. Partly they did much more than necessary: Alex of Boquete introduced me e.g. to his family and friends and we spent a wonderful weekend together which enabled me to get an insight into local family life.
I also stayed with host families and had the chance to see a couple of different host families (because I changed locations and also through other students). All of them were dedicated and warm hearted, however, the standard (also the level of conversation, if you are an advanced Spanish speaker) differs. Some families really live in very basic conditions others not. If you are not satisfied, it might be worth to ask for a change. The difference between what a student pays (for accommodation at host families or classes) and what the families and teachers receive seems quite unfair, even when you take into account that the school has expenses for renting the location etc. and I can compare it to other schools that I have been to.
However, I would come again because the dedication of teachers and other staff as well as the warm hearted reception by the host families (in spite of the little money that they receive by the schools) was outstanding.

Martina

Great time at habla ya with lineth

I studied at habla ya for 3 weeks and I had Lineth as my teacher. I was very happy that I could study with her for the whole free weeks. Lineth is a very great teacher. I learned a lot during the 3 weeks and the lessons never got boring with her. She doesn't just use the book during class, we also did a lot of talking, played games and so on. Like that i could improve my spanish a lot. It was also great that there were not many other people in my class, for 2 weeks we were 2 and one week I was alone. I would definitely love to go back to habla ya to study with Lineth!
I also liked Boca del Toro. There are many nice beaches to go to and very good restaurants which are quite cheap. Unfortunately, it has been raining a lot when I was there but I still had a great time.

T

Habla Ya Spanish with Iraida!!!

A friend and I took a course with Iraida. It was excellent, and it moved at the perfect pace for my current level of Spanish. Iraida and all the staff were very accommodating, knowledgeable and friendly. I recommend taking one of their courses if you are ever in Bocas!!! We took a B2 Level series and worked on all of the tenses at one point or another. We focused on the last 7-8 tenses and worked on the subjunctive. It is empowering to have knowledge of all the tenses and to have the ability to use new lesser used terms (some local) for day to day activities. Iraida was very flexible, particularly when we had to miss a lesson. We were allowed to reschedule to make up the time we missed. If you come to Bocas, taking a course here is an excellent way to immerse yourself in the culture here. You will be able to immediately apply what you learn in the class when you leave the campus. ---------------------------------

Christoph

Una Buen Tiempo

I visited the Language School Hablaya four weeks in August 2018 and absolved a part of A2 and the full part of B1.

I had three weeks classes with Iraida and one week with Jessica.

Both are very patient and helpful when you have Problems with a theme.

The atmosphere in Class was really nice and it was a joy to learn.

The Classes are really various , its funny to play Scrabble in Spanish but also to read specific texts about various themes.

The Freetime was also nice I got to know the different Isles, did some Fiestas and tried new sports like Yoga.

The excursions were also nice like the Grave Tour were you could saw many bats or the visit of the Smithsonian Tropical Center.

I can recommend the language school to build or to improve your language Skills and Bocas is a beautiful place therefor.

Stephan

Learn spanish in panama

I had a great time in Bocas at habla Ya with teachers who really care about you. My teacher in group class was Yesika in the first 2 weeks and Iraida in my other 2 weeks and Benita in privat class. If you want to enhance your spanish skills or you just want to learn a new language I highly recommend to go there. Class is usualy in the mornings, which is really nice, because you have a lot of time to explore the island(s) afterwards.

Irene

Learning Spanish is fun!

My spanish course at Habla Ya Bocas del Toro was all together a very good experience. Everyone, especially Iraida, my teacher, was lovely and very helpful. Iraida was very attentive to each students’ needs and used a pace that was very helpful. Every day of class was so much fun.
The atmosphere at Habla Ya was very good. The lessons are from 08.00h-12.00h so you have enough time to enjoy the day at the islands.

James

Great Immersive experience

I live in Costa Rica, struggling with my limited Spanish, and a friend recommended Habla Ya in Boquete, Panama as an alternative to some of the more expensive alternatives locally.

I contacted Habla Ya and they quickly make arrangements to accommodate my need for private classes at their school in Boquete. I chose 30 hour a week private lessons and full immersion with a Panamanian Family for three weeks. The staff at the school took care of everything including finding the family, directions for getting to David from the border, and transport from David to Boquete.

Once at the school they quickly put me to work with my instructor Alex Cano, and his associates. During my first lunch break, they transported me to my host family's house, introduced me to my new "roommate" and let me drop off my luggage.

Habla Ya uses a brilliant technique of daily lessons along with constant practice, daily and hourly. After my 2nd class I was not allowed to use English at all anymore which forces you to start thinking in Spanish immediately. An average class would consist of greetings and conversational speaking about your day and previous night. The instructors pretty much let you talk about anything you want as long as it's in Spanish. If you break into your mother tongue, the instructor will quickly move you back towards the lesson or prompt you to change languages. So there was constant pressure to stay "on point" but you had plenty of freedom and encouragement to talk about anything you wanted. But they were happy to engage with you on any topic.

The class would end with some sort of homework which generally was based on the lessons for the day.

At the end of the day (which was about 3pm local time for me) you were allowed to continue using the wifi or school facilities for as long as the place was open. There were plenty of restaurants, stores, tourist attractions, and markets within easy walking distance (including a modern public library). Reception would help me with anything I needed from finding coconut oil to taking a tour of the local volcano, Baru.

The host family in Boquete consisted of an elderly lady who rented out space to among others, her son and his wife. She was nice, cooked me two meals a day and regularly engaged me in conversation (especially at meal time)….oh yeah and she also did my laundry.

Boquete itself, is beautiful. The air is fresh and sometimes cool but everything is within easy walking distance and taxi's are very inexpensive (less than a dollar for places in and around Boquete itself).

I would definitely recommend the school for any aspiring to learn Spanish. It was a wonderful experience that improved my Spanish dramatically. Thanks to Alex and the entire staff at Habla Ya Boquete!!!

Tara

This is an excellent school and an excellent place to visit!

Boquete and Bocas were great places to visit. Lots of fun activities to keep one busy. The school was awesome. My two teachers were terrific Leidys and Benita. They made learning fun! Would likely recommend the area and the teachers!! I did white water rafting in Boquete that was an absolute blast. The rapids were fierce and there were plenty of them. Need to be in decent shape to do this trek. Also did zip lining which was a lot of fun. My family in Boquete was great. They only spoke Spanish which was perfect because it forced me to have to speak the language. My family in Bocas spoke English and although they were extremely nice and I enjoyed my stay, the next time I do immersion I'm going to require that they don't speak any English, it's better that way because it forces me to speak the language.

Chelsea

Bocas Locos

I will never forget my experience at HablaYa in Bocas Del Toro. Iraida was my teacher for 3 weeks and now I call her my friend! I took the beginner group course for grammar/conversation, and private tutoring for medical terminology. Iraida was so patient and planned each class very thoughtfully. She tailors her teaching methods to each individual and never seemed to mind repeating herself a few times before we understood what the task was. I don't know how she didn't get frustrated haha but she is a very good teacher. You can tell she is passionate about sharing her language and culture. Before I came to Bocas, I could not say more than "Hola, Que paso, Me llamo Chelsea" , y ahora puedo hablar con mi amigos en espanol! My goal was to be able to have a conversation for at least 30 minutes in Spanish, and I am very happy with my progress. The only regret I have is that I was not able to stay longer. I hope to visit HablaYa again and recommend this school to everyone!

Cathy

Habla Ya in Boquete--Awesome Experience!

I attended Habla Ya in Boquete for three weeks. Alex was my Spanish teacher. He is extremely knowledgeable. He is an excellent teacher. He challenged me and encouraged me to improve each day. I looked forward to coming to his class. He was fun and engaging. He explained things and gave great examples so that I could understand things clearly. Alex has a huge heart and a passion for teaching. My experience at Habla Ya was fantastic!

Bree

Wonderful teacher!

We did a two week course at the Bocas campus with an amazing teacher Iraida! We had very very little Spanish and were in the most basic course that was perfect for our needs. There were 3 people in the class for the first week and then it was just us! We completed almost the 3 week course in 2 weeks, iraida tailored everything to our needs! She is possibly the most patient person on the planet, she corrected our mistakes gently and consistently. We had lots of fun in the lessons, playing games and going on an excursion one day. Absolutely loved our time there, made so by our teacher! Would recommend.

About Habla Ya Spanish Schools

Learn Spanish by the Caribbean Sea, in the cloud forest, in Latin America's most cosmopolitan city, or at the three of them!

With locations in Panama's most exciting destinations by the beach (Bocas del Toro), in the mountains (Boquete), and in...