Chinese Language Center of Tzu Chi University: Learn Mandarin in Taiwan

Here's what you can expect from taking Chinese language courses with us!

-Improve you listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in small-sized classes
-Obtain a better understanding of Taiwanese culture through various extracurricular programs, including festival activities, volunteer opportunities, indigenous tribal tours and traditional culture field experiences
-Immerse yourself in the life-world of the locals and broaden horizons through interacting with people from diverse backgrounds

Our classes range from beginner levels to advanced, there is something for everyone! Visit our site for more information.

• Small-sized classes to facilitate more interaction
  • Free cultural and festival activities
  • Three hours of class a day for optimal learning
  • Indigenous tribal tours and field experiences
  • Volunteer programs and opportunities

• Instruction 9.2
Alex

High-value instruction in a terrific location

The quality of course instruction combined with the quality of life in Hualien can't be beat. The air is fresh, the mountains are beautiful, and the average person in public is warm and accommodating toward Chinese learners. Courses at the university are affordable and one-on-one instruction at Tzu Chi has been a tremendous introduction to the language for me. I would highly recommend this language center and location to anyone, beginner or advanced. I will soon be returning Stateside for graduate school and have every intention of continuing my journey with this language.

Anneke

Really Valuable Experience

I came to Taiwan as an American who spoke no Chinese, had very little knowledge of Asian culture, and whose Spanish skills would not be of any use in Taiwan. I knew that when I arrived, learning the language would be essential for improving my quality of life and enhancing my experience in Taiwan. My contract to live and work in Taiwan was for eleven months, and I will have taken Chinese class at Tzu Chi Univeristy's Language Center for nearly 8 of those eleven months for a total of three terms. My learning experience has been entirely positive, and I have been fortunate enough to have a teacher who will rearrange her schedule so that I can have consistent instruction from her for all three terms. I take individual tutoring, and my Chinese abilities have been slowly, but steadily, improving. It has been worth every penny! My experience in Taiwan has most definitely been enhanced by learning Chinese, and I would recommend this course to anyone who asks.

Jeremy

My Tzu Chi Experience

I attended the Chinese Language Center of Tzu Chi University for about 18 months. I arrived in Taiwan with no previous knowledge of Mandarin. The staff was very helpful in tailoring my studies to fit my learning habits. During my time at Tzu Chi I took both individual and group classes, each of which provided their own distinct advantages. I enjoyed the diversity of my group classes, meeting classmates from all over Asia, Europe, and North America. Several of which I still remain in contact with.

During my time studying at Tzu Chi I became very sick and had to have my gall-bladder removed. The staff and my teacher were amazing in helping me though this ordeal. They visited me in the hospital and were accommodating as I tried to catch-up on my studies. I could tell that they cared for me not only as a student but as a person.

Tzu Chi University is located in Hualien, Taiwan, which is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The city is located on the east coast of Taiwan and is in-between the ocean and the mountains. What I also enjoyed about studying at Tzu Chi is that Hualien is a more relaxed city than the larger cities of Taipei, Taichung, and Kaohsiung. The campus itself has large wide open green spaces, which can be somewhat hard to find within Taiwan cities. It has a very peaceful atmosphere.

As, I write this I am still living in Taiwan and work for a Taiwanese non-profit that operates predominately in Mandarin.

Provide an option of housing for families with children.
Conor

A great place to study.

The language course offered here is great. It's a very peaceful place with mountains and the ocean nearby. For me it was an ideal place to focus and study the language. Living in the dormitory gave me an opportunity to practice speaking Chinese every day and meet new friends from all over the world.

Before taking this language course, I had very basic Chinese but holding conversations was difficult. After taking the course I felt my Chinese improved a lot, I can hold conversations with people and understand a lot more.The teachers and staff are very friendly and supportive. During the course there are a lot of cultural activities and opportunities to volunteer.Taking part in these activities will also help you improve your Chinese. I would highly recommend studying here.

If worksheets based on Youtube videos that related to the topics taught in the textbooks were prepared as supplementary . I think it would help reinforce the content taught in class. However the student can also research this in their own time.
David

Intense Learning

I studied for two terms at Tzu Chi’s Chinese Language Centre. A few weeks before the end of the second term I took the Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL). I achieved Level 2, with a score of 61/80 (76%) and 62/80 (77%) in listening and reading, respectively. As is to be expected when learning a new language, my listening comprehension skills are better than my speaking skills. Upon completion of the second term I was able to hold short, simple conversations.

My experience was that the teachers were incredibly kind, dedicated, enthusiastic, encouraging, and helpful. They created learning materials to supplement the textbook. They willingly answered questions during and after class, and during breaks, and were open to suggestions and special requests.

There were several hours of homework each day. Much of this involved learning to write and read characters. Writing assignments focused on learning new vocabulary, language patterns and grammatical structures.

I felt that the language patterns were not always adequately explained in terms of broader grammatical structures. To remedy this, I studied grammar books and online resources to supplement the classroom instruction.

In my opinion there is not enough emphasis on speaking and pronunciation. The program does not use a communicative approach to language instruction. Very little class time is spent on controlled practice of new language patterns.

I did not live in the dormitory. There were only a few events to promote socializing and networking. I enjoyed the special cultural events, especially the tea ceremony. Most of the students were from other countries in Asia.

Hualien is a pleasant city that is accessible and easy to navigate, but it is best to have a bicycle or a motor scooter, since there is no public transportation within the city. Second hand bicycles are inexpensive, and a small shop near the campus will buy it back when you leave.

The Language Centre is at Tzu Chi’s Humanities and Social Science campus, on the western edge of Hualien City. It is small, pleasant campus in a garden-like setting. The classrooms are air-conditioned. There is a good library with English language newspapers, comfortable study areas, computers with internet access, and a solid collection of English language books. The library staff are helpful but speak minimal English. There are good sports facilities and a comfortable student lounge, with interesting cultural exhibits.

I enjoyed my time at Tzu Chi, believe I made some solid progress in learning Mandarin, and am considering returning for another term.

More attention to speaking.
Bonnie

Warm, generous, and responsive teachers and support staff

I attended a seven-week short course and also spent an additional ten weeks with an individual tutor for two hours each day. The class size is small (five to six students) and the breaks are well-timed (roughly every hour). Each class period is a mix of listening, speaking, reading, and writing practice, with opportunities to interact with classmates as well as the highly energetic teaching staff. The tutoring allows for more individualized vocabulary development and grammatical practice. The center also offers additional cultural activities such as calligraphy, stampcarving, cooking, and bookmaking, as well as cultural fieldtrips for an additional, reasonable fee. The dorms are very basic, with four beds to a room sharing a bathroom, midnight curfew, and a cafeteria for those who would rather not walk ten minutes to a street full of food vendors.

I continue to study at this center and find the staff very open to improving based on feedback.

About Chinese Language Center of Tzu Chi University

Motivated to learn Mandarin, but tired of large cities?

Come to Hualien, a place with clean air, friendly people, diverse culture and picturesque natural scenery. We are located near the foothills of the majestic Zhongyang Mountains, close to the...