Chinese Language Center of Tzu Chi University: Mandarin in Taiwan

Volunteer activities with children from unstable families
Volunteer activities with children from unstable families
Students join Hualien Joint Aboriginal Harvest Festival
Students join Hualien Joint Aboriginal Harvest Festival

Here's what you can expect from taking Chinese language courses with us!

- Improve you listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in small-sized classes
- Obtain a better understanding of Taiwanese culture through various extracurricular programs, including festival activities, volunteer opportunities, indigenous tribal tours and traditional culture field experiences
- Immerse yourself in the life-world of the locals and broaden horizons through interacting with people from diverse backgrounds

Our classes range from beginner levels to advanced - there is something for everyone! Visit our site for more information.

• Small-sized classes to facilitate more interaction.
  • Free cultural and festival activities.
  • Three hours of class a day for optimal learning.
  • Indigenous tribal tours and field experiences.
  • Volunteer programs and opportunities.

• Instruction 9.4
Cristina Narcisia

Why I like to study in Tzu Chi Language Center

When I arrived in Taiwan, I was as concerned with how I would learn because my English was not so good, but when I started studying Chinese I was impressed with the way the teachers teach, they use Chinese to teach Chinese and they also use pictures to show what they are talking about, and as we are not many people in the classroom, I have the opportunity to practice my Chinese and the teacher will always correct me. I never thought that I would be able to speak, write and read traditional Chinese in 6 months. I am very happy with my results and proud of myself and happy to be at the Tzu Chi language center, I like the staff people and the teachers because they are very kind ,friendly and whenever they see you, they smile 😁. The center also arrange some classes that we learning more about Taiwan culture how to cook Taiwan foods, and we also have competition with our classmates cooking our own country's food. I love studying here because I'm learning more than Chinese language.

I think the school can arrange more activities with Taiwanese people for language students to practice there Chinese.
Md Sharyful

Best Language Center in Taiwan

This is a good opportunity to learn or better your mandarin chinese speaking and writing skills. I studied here and met a lot of people who help you with what they can. Also the activities are fun and just the right environment to develop your mandarin skills and socialize with other students. The teachers are also very nice and offer you the best time overall in class and some other activities available. Their teaching material, techniques and methods applied have the clear understanding of the students mind and how to transfer the knowledge to the students and it also gives you the right motivation to keep practicing to improve. I have also a recommendation since you are going to be in Hualien how about doing some volunteering work and visit Tzu Chi abode, and take a look over there and other places to practice your chinese and immerse yourself in Taiwanese culture.

What was your funniest moment?
There are so many funniest moments in the class. Students are doing so many funny.
José

Teaching quality

The quality of teaching is extremely excellent and easy to understand for me as a student. The university offers a wide range of attention to all students and is well monitored by part of the Teachers and Administrative Staff. In addition to learning the language in a closed field (classroom) there are also activities that allow interaction between various students of different levels and together practice speaking Chinese with all the students and teachers. Its really amazing and as been a good opportunity to improve our speaking

Yousim

Good staff , teacher and environment

After studied here for 1year and 3months I learnt a lot from studying abroad, I was the person who didn’t know how to do housework like cleaning or doing my laundry but after cake here for three months I learnt a lot of things from friends teachers and staff.Actually they are friendly, kindly also helpful at the same time, whenever I need do extend visa or doing some other stuffs like registered for my exams or applied for my university, they really happy to help me from the heart .Thanks!

Jorge

Must TRY!

Get the most out of it! Go and look around practicing speaking mandarin around the city and rural areas.
Vicheka

Fun experienced

It was an interesting camp and yet a great experienced to explored Taiwan and learn about the culture there through out this camp and I can say that I have learnt a tons of things during this two weeks from loving, giving, cherishing the food, environment to being a good citizen and child. Plus the camp have plenty of activities and classes such as learn how to cut paper, moral of living, how to recycle, how to make tea and more, but my favourite was how to make tea, not only it teaches us how to make it but to learn the history behind it and the meaning behind the art of making tea which is to me was very interesting to learn yet to enjoy the taste of it.
Overall, this was an amazing experienced for me that I have been here the first time and get to taste every bits of Taiwan and I also get to taste quite a few delicacy too, like the Boba Milk Tea, Mochi and Smelly Tofu and I am looking forward to attend this camp next year !

For me it was the meal it was vegies food but I would say I am okay with it.
Eric

One of the best places to learn Mandarin

I have studied Chinese occasionally now and then in Taiwan, China, and the United States, and I can honestly say that the quality of instruction at Tzu-Chi University is equal or superior to anything else I've experienced. It's the best. The teachers create supplemental materials, offer a good blend of conversation, vocabulary, and grammar, and have an encouraging and caring attitude. I've studied foreign language acquisition as a topic, and the staff at Tzu-Chi are up-to-date and using the best methods to help their students. The place is also a good choice for study because of the geographic location (natural scenic beauty, fairly clean environment, frequent fast trains available the Taipei metropolitan area, etc.) and the cultural context (the entire Tzu-Chi movement is well worth examining, and learning about the Tzu-Chi Foundation and its work can be part of the fun of learning Chinese here, if you are curious about it. The people here are serious about environmental protection, which means if you live on campus there are restrictions on air conditioner use in the summer, and some pretty strict standards of getting your trash organized into multiple categories and presenting the various recyclable objects in clean condition. The rules about no meat on campus were fine with me (I prefer vegetarian). But when I studied here the longest, in 2014-2015 for two semesters, I lived off-campus in an apartment in the nearby neighborhood, and found it a delightful place to live. I try to bring students here from my university in the summers, and I think students have a better experience here than they would in any other language center.

They ought to produce even more of their own materials, such as flashcards. The materials they do provide as supplements to what you find in the textbooks are so good, I just wish there was more of it.
Alexander

Mountains and Water

I was in my early thirties when I went to Taiwan for the first time. I had done my research, so I went straight to Hualien. In need for a break from the busy city life, I found just what I needed.
The language center of Tzu-Chi is on a small campus that lies 2-3 km outside the city center of Hualien. It's a beautiful place, with grass fields around, and an exceptional view on the mountains. At times, it has a quiet meditative feeling. Still, it is very convenient : there are outstanding sport facilities, a cafeteria, a big library (with English books too) and dormitories on site. Within 5-10 minutes walking distance, there are many restaurants, shops, and private rooms for rent. It takes 20 minutes by bicycle to reach Hualien train station from which you can explore the East coast or go to Taipei for a weekend.
The classes are well taught and because there aren't too many foreigners, there's plenty of opportunities to practice Chinese and meet Taiwanese students. The language center also offers extra cultural activities for those interested. On the Tzu-Chi main campus close to the train station, there are even more activities for learning (like taichi, chinese painting...) or meeting people.
Apart from the laid-back atmosphere of Hualien, the other thing that drew me to Tzu-Chi, is that it is a Buddhist organization. I was interested in learning more about Buddhism and I was touched by story behind Tzu-Chi. However, for most students the influence of Buddhism will only be felt through the restriction on vegetarian food within the campus, but the more sensitive observer will feel the attention that has been put to nurturing the heart and uplifting the soul...

PS: At time of writing, the website states this is a 1-6 weeks program. The study terms are actually 2 or 3 months in length for group classes (4-10 students), with 4 terms a year.
I thought I would study there for 6 months then go to mainland China. It was so good I ended up staying two years.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Stinky tofu :P

Even though I wasn't a vegetarian, I was actually amazed by Taiwanese vegetarian food. It's delicious!