SIT Argentina: Public Health in Urban Environments

Examine the realities of public health policy, the challenges of urban epidemiology, and the issues of healthcare equity in Buenos Aires — one of Latin America’s largest cities.

This program will provide students interested in public health, health sciences, development studies, and other disciplines with the opportunity to scrutinize health-related challenges in urban environments. Students will learn from academics and practitioners associated with leading institutions in Argentina.

Lucy

Life changing experience: challenging in a difficult yet amazing way

This program is an incredible opportunity for personal and academic growth. I learned so much about the Argentine healthcare system and improved my Spanish 10 fold. I loved that the classes had guest lecturers on their specialty topic because we were able to learn from the top professionals in that area. My favorite aspect academically was the ability to conduct my own research project in another province. I learned so much from this experience. Personally, I made incredible friends who I know I will be friends with for the rest of my life. I also loved exploring the city; I come from a small suburb and was really pushed outside of my comfort zone in a new large city which was great. I also loved my host mom and had an incredible experience living in her home. I would highly recommend this program if you are looking to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and really learn about healthcare in Argentina!

Taisa

Would go back in an instant

Argentina was amazing and my program was intense. Our classes were based in Buenos Aires but we did a lot of traveling (almost every 2 weeks!) to other provinces in the country, so it was a lot of flying and first-hand exposure to real world situations. We visited hospitals, health centers and met with various professionals to learn about their healthcare system. Everything was in Spanish so it took me about a month to adjust, but by the end of it I was pretty much doing my own independent study project without a problem. Along with all the educational excursions, I got to see some really cool sites, visit wine country, go hiking and the most beautiful site I visited were the waterfalls at Iguazú, which is one of 7 natural wonders of the world (pics below!)

There were a lot of logistical aspects of the program that could have been improved, such as timing and due dates of certain assignments, that at times, conflicted with our desires to go out to the city and have fun. However, although this program was academically rigorous, it was well worth it.
Maya

Good program, lack of immersion

I enjoyed this program and made some great new American friends but I wasn't able to interact in the local culture as much as I had wanted to. It was hard to make friends outside of the program and the majority of the program is female. I liked my classes though because they were all public health focused which was a nice change-up from my university and I was able to really understand the Argentinian public health system. Buenos Aires is an AMAZING city and I loved living there.

Academic structure- I didn't like how professors changed every week.

About SIT Study Abroad

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in...