SIT Study Abroad: Social Movements in Argentina

Waira
Orientation Celebration

Discover the diverse social movements and struggle for human rights in Argentina on this program.

Argentina is a country renowned for heroic efforts against impunity, economic disenfranchisement, and social exclusion. Central to its history are the immigrant movements of the late 1800s, Peron’s populist surge in the mid-20th century, and the military regime of the late 20th century that resulted in tens of thousands of disappearances. Argentina’s economic crisis in 2001 sparked action by new social movements working for economic advancement and social justice.

Located in the vibrant capital city of Buenos Aires, this program examines Argentina’s prolific and highly dynamic social movements. The program’s office is in one of the most renowned research institutions in Buenos Aires, the Centro de Estudios de Estado y Sociedad (CEDES). Students have the chance to interact with CEDES scholars and use the institution’s library and other resources.

Troy

Literally the best experience one could ask for

Like anyone would be before going on a study abroad semester, I was nervous about what to expect, as everything would be very new to me. I was almost immediately reassured, because literally every aspect of this program was phenomenal. The professors and staff are literally the most wonderful, kind, smart people I've ever met. Furthermore, the education is outstanding, and you learn an incredible amount about Argentina, especially during the trips/excursions, which is very hands on, and you meet many very inspiring and kind people. Being able to see the country was incredible, it's very beautiful, and connecting it to the social organizations whose members you meet during the trips made the trips incredibly educational, and made the trips unforgettable. My homestay experience was incredible. My host mom was I think literally the kindest person I've ever met, and we became very close friends, and talked about everything together, and I love her so much haha. I also had the privilege of becoming close with her wonderful daughter, her daughter's partner, and their new baby! I miss them all every day a crazy amount. You'll also meet great friends, all of the students on the program were brilliant and kind, and we have kept in contact, and I am close friends with everyone. Lastly, Argentina is a BEAUTIFUL, incredible country, with so much history and wonderful people. People are incredibly warm. Buenos Aires is a beautiful city that functions very well with excellent transit, and it was amazing getting to explore it. If you're considering studying abroad in Argentina, you won't ever forget this program. And even if it sounds cliched, it'll change your life!

Like basically nothing, the only thing that is challenging sometimes is the fact that the classes are taught in Spanish by native speakers, and at times can be challenging to understand everything, however I would NOT change this as it really helps you learn Spanish, and forces you to really study the incredibly important material. Just know that you're going to need to focus hard during the lectures.
Mieko

Excellent Program Choice

SIT gave me the best experience possible. While this is not the program for those who would like to move more independently, I found that highly structured time followed by a month free for research was actually very beneficial to my experience. I was very impressed with the academic aspects, and the visits that we did taught me so much more about Argentina than I would've known had I just been visiting. I was consistently impressed by our coordinators, who devoted themselves to ensuring that the program was good and genuinely cared about us. They were attentive and thoughtful and always available. My homestay was a better experience than I had even anticipated, and I found that my host family taught me just as much about the materials we were learning as the professors did.

Overall, I would rate SIT Argentina: Social Movements and Human Rights very strongly. If you are looking for an in-depth, impactful experience that will truly teach you about both the country you're studying in and your own culture, I would recommend this program.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was surprised by the amount of contact we had with folks involved in social movements, nonprofit organizations, and schools. We actually got to meet people doing important and groundbreaking work (including a Nobel Peace Prize winner) and had opportunities to learn on-site.
Mariana

A Truly Spectacular Experience

The academics were amazing, we learned so much about so many different things and were able to be taught by some of the best professionals in the field/visited wonderful organizations. The people were fantastic, I met some of the coolest people and the directors of the program were also some very impressive ladies. The excursions and adventures were unforgettable--we were able to explore different parts of Argentina while also continuing to learn awesome things . I truly had an amazing 3 months participating in this program and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. As cheesy as it sounds it was very life changing and eye opening! If you have specific questions or concerns I really recommend you reach out to the program specifically through their website!

The only thing might be some organization but no program always functions super smoothly and even when plans were not super organized it still was a fun experience !
Megan

A unique, life-changing experience

I came back from this program a more passionate, educated, and confident individual. This program truly helps you grow academically, socially, and culturally. It is definitely a unique program that is unlike any others. The program excels at improving your language skills and encouraging experiential learning. The focus on human rights and social movements matches perfectly with the location of Buenos Aires. The city really becomes your classroom. I learned about Argentine history and the human rights issues of the dictatorship in a way that I would have never had the opportunity to learn about in the U.S. The subjects that the courses cover are incredibly interesting, but hard to learn about; however, the professors and guest lecturers do not shy away from anything. The visits to local organizations, museums, and historic sights really help to put what you learn in the classroom into context. There is no way you can come away from the semester without changing your perspective on the world.

The home stay aspect of the program is also fantastic. Almost everyone had a great experience with their host family. They are so welcoming and really make you feel like a part of the family. They act as a great way to immerse yourself in the culture and get comfortable in a new city and country. Outside of your host family, it is pretty hard to make local friends because you end up spending most of your time with the other students in the group. The size of the program tends to be small (my program only had 25 students) and the excursions to the north and south result in you spending a lot of time together. The program does have its weaknesses, but they are all outweighed by the overall experience. In the end, you get out of the program, is what you put into it. If you are looking for a unique study abroad experience and are a self-starter, I would highly recommend this program.

One of my few problems with the program was its organization and structure. Often, there seemed to be problems with the flow of communication between program staff, teachers, and students. This would often lead to lots of confusion about due dates and assignments. Additionally, scheduling was often a problem. Time between classes were often short, making it hard to have time for lunch and get to our next class in a different part of the city. Time and locations of classes or visits were often changed at the last minute. To be fair, my semester had just had some staff changes so the team was still adjusting to working together. Additionally, a lot of the frustration was just due to cultural differences when it comes to timing and it was good to learn how to adapt quickly.
Jenna

Review of My Social Movements and Human Rights Trip

If you are looking to challenge yourself or are an Honors student, this is definitely the right program. You will get real, invaluable experience. Coming back from Argentina, I found that many of the things I personally experienced there were coming up in many of the courses I was taking at home. This allowed me to be able to relate to many more people and experiences and has since given me an edge that other students don't have.

This program could be improved by implementing more structure into the syllabus. Generally speaking, it was difficult for most students to keep up with and understand what was expected of them.
Maggie

SIT Argentina: Social Movements and Human Rights

SIT is a very strong program provider for a multitude of reasons, but in my experience, its most valuable assets are the experiential learning component and the Independent Study Project structure.
With regards to language acquisition, I can think of no better way to gain skills than immersion. Although immediate immersion can be intimidating, the Social Movements and Human Rights (SMHR) program directors educated us on the importance of constant practice in our learning process. Furthermore, we were encouraged to speak Spanish to exercise respect and appreciation for Argentine culture, as well as a gateway to forming grounded relationships with our Argentine friends. My home stay in particular provided me with a comfortable environment in which I could struggle through the learning process with my host mom, who helped me gain so much confidence! The structure of the program also allowed my group to learn outside the classroom on a daily basis, a component that in retrospect pushed us to gain a deeper understanding of the practical applications of the theoretical concepts taught in the classroom.
The Independent Study Project (ISP) gave us the space to form professional and personal connections with Argentinians. While the academic rigors of the ISP challenged me on a daily basis, I also gained the research experience of conducting interviews in Spanish and writing a qualitative research paper. I'm actually currently continuing various components of my research back at my university in the US!

I think that the program could be improved by tightening up the language component. It was at times difficult to communicate within our group because some chose to speak Spanish outside the classroom, and others preferred to take a break to speak English. The program could have guided us a little more at the start to help us form agreements about our chosen language of communication and how much each individual wanted to push him/herself outside the classroom.
Emma

Excellent Program - Worth the Work

I most enjoyed the unique travel experiences offered by SIT. Over the course of the program, we visited Andean Patagonia, Uruguay, the northwestern provinces, and tons of other cities in between. I felt I really got to know the country outside of our base, Buenos Aires, which can be a tough city to live in, particularly for those who identify as female. Between all of our classes and the independent study project we completed to finish the program, I didn't have a lot of time to hang out with friends and see the city - but I loved my classes and was dedicated to my grades, and I feel I learned a lot as a result.

I think the program directors could and should emphasize to students that their homestay family is not their responsibility. The current emphasis is on assimilating to Argentine culture (i.e. treating the host family with respect) and problem-solving together, rather than switching students out, and it is emphasized in the orientation that families are compensated well to take on students. This can lead to students feeling uneasy asking for a switch when they are a source of income for their families. If students can feel more comfortable asking for a homestay switch even if they are only mildly uncomfortable in the home or not a good fit for the family, because even if it's not hugely problematic, it can make a study abroad experience significantly more immersive and fun.
Margot

Amazing cultural & academic experience

I cannot speak more highly of this program. Not only was I able to fully appreciate BA's nightlife and culture, but I learned so much about its history and culture thanks to amazing professors and staff.

Veronica

Amazing country and program!

I learned so much while abroad! It was 1000% worthwhile. I loved that the program had a specific, interesting and relevant theme that all our courses and activities pertained to, and I learned so much from these components of the program. I also learned a great deal about myself and really matured and grew individually just from adjusting to a different country/city, culture, language, homestay, etc.

Skylar

A chance to learn a ton about Argentina and yourself

This program was definitely everything I looked for - you don't spend too many hours in conventional classes but you'll learn a ton. Argentina has almost limitless chances to get to know a place that might seem similar to a Western city at first, but has a completely different attitude, culture and politics.

My host parents were impressed with how much we got to know Argentina and BA - I was their first student from SIT and it really was different than the other experiences they described, and the stories my friends from competing programs described. The homestay will be what you make it - speak as much spanish as you can with your family, spend time with them, ask questions and say yes to any opportunities!

You'll have a few fancy meals of Argentine asado but also find the cheap lunch spots across BA – there's an awesome growing culinary culture and a million food blogs to go follow for recs.

About SIT Study Abroad

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in...