SIT Study Abroad Argentina: Social Movements & Human Rights

SIT Study Abroad Argentina: Social Movements & Human Rights

Discover the diverse social movements and struggle for human rights in Argentina on this program.

Argentina is a country renowned for heroic efforts against impunity, economic disenfranchisement, and social exclusion. Central to its history are the immigrant movements of the late 1800s, Peron’s populist surge in the mid-20th century, and the military regime of the late 20th century that resulted in tens of thousands of disappearances. Argentina’s economic crisis in 2001 sparked action by new social movements working for economic advancement and social justice.

Located in the vibrant capital city of Buenos Aires, this program examines Argentina’s prolific and highly dynamic social movements. The program’s office is in one of the most renowned research institutions in Buenos Aires, the Centro de Estudios de Estado y Sociedad (CEDES). Students have the chance to interact with CEDES scholars and use the institution’s library and other resources.

South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires

Megan
California
Claremont McKenna College

A unique, life-changing experience

I came back from this program a more passionate, educated, and confident individual. This program truly helps you grow academically, socially, and culturally. It is definitely a unique program that is unlike any others. The program excels at improving your language skills and encouraging experiential learning. The focus on human rights and social movements matches perfectly with the location of Buenos Aires. The city really becomes your classroom. I learned about Argentine history and the human rights issues of the dictatorship in a way that I would have never had the opportunity to learn about in the U.S. The subjects that the courses cover are incredibly interesting, but hard to learn about; however, the professors and guest lecturers do not shy away from anything. The visits to local organizations, museums, and historic sights really help to put what you learn in the classroom into context. There is no way you can come away from the semester without changing your perspective on the world.

The home stay aspect of the program is also fantastic. Almost everyone had a great experience with their host family. They are so welcoming and really make you feel like a part of the family. They act as a great way to immerse yourself in the culture and get comfortable in a new city and country. Outside of your host family, it is pretty hard to make local friends because you end up spending most of your time with the other students in the group. The size of the program tends to be small (my program only had 25 students) and the excursions to the north and south result in you spending a lot of time together. The program does have its weaknesses, but they are all outweighed by the overall experience. In the end, you get out of the program, is what you put into it. If you are looking for a unique study abroad experience and are a self-starter, I would highly recommend this program.

One of my few problems with the program was its organization and structure. Often, there seemed to be problems with the flow of communication between program staff, teachers, and students. This would often lead to lots of confusion about due dates and assignments. Additionally, scheduling was often a problem. Time between classes were often short, making it hard to have time for lunch and get to our next class in a different part of the city. Time and locations of classes or visits were often changed at the last minute. To be fair, my semester had just had some staff changes so the team was still adjusting to working together. Additionally, a lot of the frustration was just due to cultural differences when it comes to timing and it was good to learn how to adapt quickly.

Jenna
Lunenburg, MA
University of Massachusetts- Lowell

Review of My Social Movements and Human Rights Trip

If you are looking to challenge yourself or are an Honors student, this is definitely the right program. You will get real, invaluable experience. Coming back from Argentina, I found that many of the things I personally experienced there were coming up in many of the courses I was taking at home. This allowed me to be able to relate to many more people and experiences and has since given me an edge that other students don't have.

This program could be improved by implementing more structure into the syllabus. Generally speaking, it was difficult for most students to keep up with and understand what was expected of them.

Maggie
Lafayette, IN
DePauw University

SIT Argentina: Social Movements and Human Rights

SIT is a very strong program provider for a multitude of reasons, but in my experience, its most valuable assets are the experiential learning component and the Independent Study Project structure.
With regards to language acquisition, I can think of no better way to gain skills than immersion. Although immediate immersion can be intimidating, the Social Movements and Human Rights (SMHR) program directors educated us on the importance of constant practice in our learning process. Furthermore, we were encouraged to speak Spanish to exercise respect and appreciation for Argentine culture, as well as a gateway to forming grounded relationships with our Argentine friends. My home stay in particular provided me with a comfortable environment in which I could struggle through the learning process with my host mom, who helped me gain so much confidence! The structure of the program also allowed my group to learn outside the classroom on a daily basis, a component that in retrospect pushed us to gain a deeper understanding of the practical applications of the theoretical concepts taught in the classroom.
The Independent Study Project (ISP) gave us the space to form professional and personal connections with Argentinians. While the academic rigors of the ISP challenged me on a daily basis, I also gained the research experience of conducting interviews in Spanish and writing a qualitative research paper. I'm actually currently continuing various components of my research back at my university in the US!

I think that the program could be improved by tightening up the language component. It was at times difficult to communicate within our group because some chose to speak Spanish outside the classroom, and others preferred to take a break to speak English. The program could have guided us a little more at the start to help us form agreements about our chosen language of communication and how much each individual wanted to push him/herself outside the classroom.

Emma
Hamilton, NY
Colgate University

Excellent Program - Worth the Work

I most enjoyed the unique travel experiences offered by SIT. Over the course of the program, we visited Andean Patagonia, Uruguay, the northwestern provinces, and tons of other cities in between. I felt I really got to know the country outside of our base, Buenos Aires, which can be a tough city to live in, particularly for those who identify as female. Between all of our classes and the independent study project we completed to finish the program, I didn't have a lot of time to hang out with friends and see the city - but I loved my classes and was dedicated to my grades, and I feel I learned a lot as a result.

I think the program directors could and should emphasize to students that their homestay family is not their responsibility. The current emphasis is on assimilating to Argentine culture (i.e. treating the host family with respect) and problem-solving together, rather than switching students out, and it is emphasized in the orientation that families are compensated well to take on students. This can lead to students feeling uneasy asking for a switch when they are a source of income for their families. If students can feel more comfortable asking for a homestay switch even if they are only mildly uncomfortable in the home or not a good fit for the family, because even if it's not hugely problematic, it can make a study abroad experience significantly more immersive and fun.

Margot
New York
Columbia University

Amazing cultural & academic experience

I cannot speak more highly of this program. Not only was I able to fully appreciate BA's nightlife and culture, but I learned so much about its history and culture thanks to amazing professors and staff.

Veronica
Colby College

Amazing country and program!

I learned so much while abroad! It was 1000% worthwhile. I loved that the program had a specific, interesting and relevant theme that all our courses and activities pertained to, and I learned so much from these components of the program. I also learned a great deal about myself and really matured and grew individually just from adjusting to a different country/city, culture, language, homestay, etc.

Skylar
Seattle, WA
Colgate University

A chance to learn a ton about Argentina and yourself

This program was definitely everything I looked for - you don't spend too many hours in conventional classes but you'll learn a ton. Argentina has almost limitless chances to get to know a place that might seem similar to a Western city at first, but has a completely different attitude, culture and politics.

My host parents were impressed with how much we got to know Argentina and BA - I was their first student from SIT and it really was different than the other experiences they described, and the stories my friends from competing programs described. The homestay will be what you make it - speak as much spanish as you can with your family, spend time with them, ask questions and say yes to any opportunities!

You'll have a few fancy meals of Argentine asado but also find the cheap lunch spots across BA – there's an awesome growing culinary culture and a million food blogs to go follow for recs.

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in multiple locations. In addition to