Australia Veterinary Service

Australia Veterinary Service is available as both a high school program (ages 14-18) and a college and young adult program (ages 18-25). This amazing program takes place outside of Sydney in Calga Springs, where you will live at a ZAA-accredited wildlife sanctuary for two weeks.

Your program will be led by a team of veterinarians who will help oversee all your activities and teach you all about Australian animals. From kangaroos and koalas to frogmouths and pythons, this sanctuary has pretty much any Australian animal you can dream of (except for platypus). You will get hands-on with these animals as you learn about marsupials, mammals, birds, and reptiles and help to care for their upkeep, enrichment, and medical needs.

You will be working alongside your veterinarians and the park staff each day. On the weekend, we will head into Sydney for fun in the city, including a trip to Sydney Opera House, famous beaches, Taronga Zoo and more!

• Assist in health rounds, including helping to treat kangaroos and koalas.
  • Examine and medically assess possums, echidnas, pythons, and bandicoots.
  • Perform enrichments for flying foxes, dingoes, frogmouths, and emus.
  • Perform veterinary labs such as marsupial necropsies, supervised by your team of veterinarians.
  • Visit Sydney including the Opera House, Royal Botanic Gardens, Darling Harbour, beaches, and the Taronga Zoo.

Raelyn

Australia 2018

My time spent at Australia Walkabout Wildlife Park and Sydney with loop aboard was top-notch. Having the opportunity to be surrounded by the amazing Australian wildlife on a daily basis and work with the knowledgeable staff was truly a once in a life time opportunity. The vets that accompanied us were inspirational and willing to help and teach at any given moment. The loop aboard and walkbout staff helped make my Australian adventure one to be remembered and I went home feeling inspired and grateful for all that I had the chance to learn and partake in.

Sally

Amazing Experience with Unique Wildlife

My trip to Australia with Loop Abroad was a one-of-a-kind experience. I learned so much about Australian wildlife and veterinary medicine in general. Both the Loop Abroad staff and the Walkabout Wildlife Park staff were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. I got hands-on experience with animals I would never get the chance to handle at home, such as dingoes, echidnas, wombats, and more. The mid-program trip to Sydney was a great cultural experience, and the behind-the-scenes tour at the Taronga Zoo was an incredible educational opportunity. I’m so glad I took this trip and would recommend it to anyone interested in veterinary medicine and/or conservation.

My only suggestion would be to have an extra day or two in Sydney, but I believe that is a change Loop is already looking at making for future programs!
Lianes

Australia loop abroad

As my first study abroad trip, it was amazing! Being able to learn from different veterinarians, especially how knowledgeable each of them were was incredible. Being able to live amongst kangaroos was one for the books. Also, enjoyed being able to learn so much of Australia’s aboriginal culture while being able to walk through the bush. I learned so much, met so many different kinds of people who shared the same passion, definitely all around a great program!

None
Riche

Amazing Experience

Loop Abroad has great programs and the Australia one did not fall short. It provides you with great opportunities to gain experience and learn about veterinary medicine. It allows you to have hands-on experience along with interactions with certified veterinarians so you are being taught by people currently working in the field. They do their best to accommodate you and make sure the trip is as fulfilling as possible.

I have no improvements I can think of
Allison

Very Educational

This was my 3rd and most recent trip with loop abroad. I think this one was the most educational, wise of the amount of class and material we went over. I learned a lot about wildlife medicine, some of which I won’t even learn until I’m in vet school! That being said I will already be ahead of the game, which is so amazing! Such a great experience! We also did get to do hands on exams on some of the farm creatures at the park we stayed at and shadow a veterinarian at a nearby zoo.

None.
Jordan

Loop’s Australia program

Loop Abroad’s two week college veterinary program in Australia was one of the most memorable two weeks of my life. Not only do you get to meet and be hands on with a wide variety of different species, including kangaroos, koalas, flying foxes, pythons and so many more, but you also get classroom style learning as well. Along with this, I promise that you will make life long memories and friends if you participate in one of Loop Abroads programs.

This program was everything I dreamed it could have been! The only improvement I could suggest would be having more exciting animals for the enrichment projects.
Sarah

Loop Abroad Australia Vet Service

This trip was the experience of a life time and really allowed me to use the veterinary skills I had already learned as well as learn new ones. Although I am not planning to into exotic veterinary medicine it was still fascinating to learn so much about Australia’s wonderful animals. The staff also made time to learn about animals we may see everyday such as rabbits and goats which was extremely interesting to me as I want to be a mixed animal practitioner. I also enjoyed learning about the native plants and culture.

The program is already revising its Australia event to what our group suggested which will make the program even more fun!

About Loop Abroad

Loop Abroad has been offering exciting animal and teaching programs abroad since 2009. We offer summer and semester programs for people who love animals, travel, adventure, and authentic experiences. With programs in Asia, Africa, Australia and...