Australia Veterinary Service is available as both a high school program (ages 14-18) and a college and young adult program (ages 18-25). This amazing program takes place outside of Sydney in Calga Springs, where you will live at a ZAA-accredited wildlife sanctuary for two weeks.
Your program will be led by a team of veterinarians who will help oversee all your activities and teach you all about Australian animals. From kangaroos and koalas to frogmouths and pythons, this sanctuary has pretty much any Australian animal you can dream of (except for platypus). You will get hands-on with these animals as you learn about marsupials, mammals, birds, and reptiles and help to care for their upkeep, enrichment, and medical needs.
You will be working alongside your veterinarians and the park staff each day. On the weekend, we will head into Sydney for fun in the city, including a trip to Sydney Opera House, famous beaches, Taronga Zoo and more!
- Assist in health rounds, including helping to treat kangaroos and koalas.
- Examine and medically assess possums, echidnas, pythons, and bandicoots.
- Perform enrichments for flying foxes, dingoes, frogmouths, and emus.
- Perform veterinary labs such as marsupial necropsies, supervised by your team of veterinarians.
- Visit Sydney including the Opera House, Royal Botanic Gardens, Darling Harbour, beaches, and the Taronga Zoo.