IES Abroad Sydney Direct Enrollment

IES Abroad Sydney Direct Enrollment

Our study abroad program in Sydney offers you the opportunity to directly enroll in the prestigious Macquarie University, University of New South Wales, or University of Sydney with access to a vast array of course offerings across hundreds of disciplines.

Sydney will also be your classroom. Enjoy the city’s robust music scene with a performance at the world-renowned Sydney Opera House. Visit one of the many museums, such as the Museum of Contemporary Art or the Art Gallery of New South Wales to see some of the country’s great works of art. Soak in the beauty of Sydney’s landscape by walking the path from Coogee to Bondi Beach—or better yet, climb to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Welcome to study abroad!

Oceania » Australia » Sydney
Sydney

Josh
Boston

Sydney Semester

Studying abroad in Sydney, Australia was undoubtedly the greatest 5 months of my life. I went to Sydney without knowing a single person in all of Australia and left with countless lifelong friends. The IES Abroad Program played a key role in my unreal experience in Australia. From the moment I arrived in Sydney, the IES staff were there for me for whatever I needed. Not only did they offer great advice on activities to do in and around the city and organize group trips to fun places, but they also went out of their way to make me feel happy and comfortable. It was obvious that they cared deeply about the students in the program and that was probably the reason that so many of us became very close to the staff. IES Abroad made the transition to school in a foreign country so easy that it immediately felt like home. I think about my experience in Sydney everyday and highly recommend it to anybody even slightly interested.

It was near perfect

Ireana
Canton

The Best Decision

For the longest time, I knew I wanted to study abroad, but I never thought I would find myself halfway across the world in Australia! Choosing to study and live in Sydney was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It was an even better decision to travel with IES Abroad. The directors Matt and Michelle are some of the nicest, down to earth, friendly people and they make you feel right at home. The trips that were planned through the program allowed me to meet other American students that were going through the same initial excitement and concern that arises when living in a new place. I was able to experience things I wouldn't have been able to if I traveled alone and have a great time connecting. I studied at Macquarie University and it was one of the most diverse campuses I have ever been on with some of the coolest and chillest professors ever. There was always something to do on campus or in the city and I never got tired of spending an afternoon swimming and chilling on the beach. I highly recommend IES Abroad for those interested in studying in Sydney!

Michael
Buffalo
University of Rochester

A New Beginning

Studying Abroad was not the easiest decision I've ever made, but by far it has been the best. During my experience I had an amazing time traveling throughout Australia and learning about the culture. While traveling I gained a greater appreciation for nature, the Australian culture and the culture of the Indigenous people of Australia. I lived in residential dorm where I lived very close to many local Australians who helped me experience the country very well. From going to house races, to watching and playing in rugby games to surfing on the beach, I was able to fully immerse myself in the Australian culture and enjoy my time. I recommend anyone who has any slight interest to study abroad to just apply and go for it. This experience will change the way you view studying at University and will give you the chance one more time to be a freshman really live at University like you never had.

One way the program could be improved would to have more Universities involved.

Steph
CA
Tufts University

A Wonderful Semester

Spending my spring semester at University of Sydney with IES was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Going through IES provided me with amazing housing, support, trips, and much more that I wouldn’t have had without IES (my friends from other programs were so jealous of what we had!). Our program directors were extremely kind, welcoming, and helpful with everything from getting comfortable in Sydney to planning trips to medical help. With the program we got to snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef, explore the rainforest, hike, eat amazing food, learn to surf, and so much more. Having the support and comfort of IES made the transition to Sydney so easy, and I really felt at home. The classes I took at Uni were some of my favorite classes I’ve ever taken, and I had so much fun. I feel so lucky to have experienced all that I did, and I’ll always look back fondly at my adventures abroad with IES.

Courtney

Aussie Bound

When I look back at my experience abroad, it seems almost like a dream. Thanks to the IES Abroad it really was a dream that came through. Never would I ever have thought that I would be able to study at a huge internationally known university, meet so many amazingly diverse people, or even get to see someone the greatest world wonders. This was by far the greatest program to experience this through. From the moment that I confirmed that I wanted to participate in the program to when I arrived at the airport to staying connected once arrived to even now after the fact, the IES family has helped me along the way. All of my questions were always answered. The trips that they had planned for us, from the Great Barrier Reef to canoeing and hiking, were better then I thought they were going to be. Sydney is a beautiful, thriving and welcoming city, but with IES I was able to go beyond that to see the country and experience Australian culture. Plus, I have friends from all over the world thanks to the Sydney Studying Abroad Program and IES. I can't wait to go back for more and I hope you get the opportunity to go through what I went through as well!

I think everything was spectacular!

Stephanie
Illinois
University of Michigan

Life Down Under

Spring 2016 I was able to study in Sydney Australia and it was the best experience I've had. Going through IES made it easy because they provided us with housing and trips throughout the semester. Housing was great because it was in the village of the University. I was able to meet many Australians through this housing placement as well as other Americans. The trips they took us one were amazing. We were able to go hike in the blue mountains, Cairns to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef, have a cultural experience with the Aboriginal people, and many more. The location of Sydney was amazing because we were right in the city and very close to night life as well as the different markets and the Harbours. Traveling around Australia was very easy as well. I think that choosing Sydney Australia was a great choice and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to study abroad. You will be able to see so many amazing views, meet the kindest people and eat the best food!!

Grace
Ithaca, New York

The Most Amazing Four Months

This experience was hands-down incredible. Looking back on my time in Australia, it feels as if I was living in a fairy tale world. From snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, to zip lining in the rain forest and sleeping amongst some of Australia's wildest animals, it was an experience that will never be forgotten. IES was such a great help and held very awesome and fun programs. Being so far from home, IES made me feel so accommodated and allowed me to adjust so much easier!

If I had to change one thing, I would put all abroad students in apartments, rather than some in singles. I would also mix living arrangements with abroad students and Australian students.

Connor
Ithaca, New York

Sydney, Australia: The Best Semester of My Life

My semester in Sydney was far better than I could have ever imagined it would be. From the moment I got through customs in Australia the IES leaders were always there to provide a helping hand when needed. IES also organized numerous free lunches, a once in a lifetime trip to Cairns over mid semester break, and a surfing lesson which were all incredible experiences. The program directors were all very personable and kind which made the journey through my semester abroad even more amazing. The city is always busy with awesome events and concerts, the beaches are gorgeous, the people are friendly, and the education at University of Sydney was spectacular. Overall my semester in Sydney was by far the best four and a half months of my life and IES made it possible in an easy and affordable manner. If you're looking to study abroad, I would HIGHLY recommend going to Sydney through IES Abroad!

Jen
Ithaca new york

Amazing experience!

Studying abroad through IES at the University of Sydney was an incredible experience. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was in love with Australia. Switching up the environment in which you live and learn completely changes your worldview and provides you with opportunities that you never knew were out there. In addition, the relationships you create become strong enough to last a lifetime. I truly appreciate all the programs and events that IES planned/took us to because it was during these experiences that I was given the opportunity to explore the country in more depth and detail, while getting to know my peers in the program. IES makes it easy to adjust to a different culture, and is a useful resource when it comes to any questions you may have while away from home. I would recommend studying through IES to any prospective student!

I would make the program longer

Morgan
Warrenton, Virginia
Pennsylvania State University

Sydney Abroad

The city of Sydney stole my heart the moment I stepped off the plane. I was blessed to be able to make so many life long friends from traveling with this program. I can't imagine not knowing these wonderful and diverse people before. The experiences that I have been able to take part in have been remarkable as well. My new found friends and I were able to road trip up the east coast of Australia from Brisbane to Cairns with multiple adventures on the way. We were also able to leave Australia to venture all the way to New Zealand. These past four months have been the most exciting and challenging yet most rewarding months of my life.

My favourite part of Sydney however has to be how you can explore for countless hours. I am very much the type of person who enjoys wandering around and exploring a new place until I know it like the back of my hand, but after four months here I am still discovering new restaurants and things to do. There are endless opportunities for anyone who chooses to call Sydney home for their program and I hope that if the opportunity presents itself for someone to travel here they take it in a heartbeat.

I would have liked to take one trip with my program after we were all done with class rather than a lot of them at the beginning.

Steven
State College, Pennsylvania

A second home

I titled this a second home for a reason. Not only have I been missing Sydney since being home but I am physically home sick for it. Leaving to go abroad, I had the highest of high expectations and this trip still exceeded them. I never expected to be part of such an amazing opportunity in my life.

The Friends I made:
I didn't know anyone when I left for this trip but that didn't last long. The friends come so quickly; whether it's locals because you the interesting foreigner or because its other travels looking to get to know people just like you are. The friends you make on this trips quickly become your friends for life.

The things I saw:
The Sydney Opera House is the kind of site that's on everyones bucket list but imagine it becoming your backyard. If you're even slightly willing to do some exploring the miraculous things you'll encounter will blow you away. Sydney has awesome public transportation so almost everything is a bus ride or two away. The best of the best however are their sunsets. They are so unbelievable that sunsets will be forever ruin thereafter.

The experiences I had:
I went bungee jumping.... off a roof ......on a bike..... Australia's amazing. (This was on my own time of course.) They have ultimate thrills all over but that's just who I am. If you like the beach hop on the bus anytime you please. Australia only has over 10,000 to choose from. Coffee shops around every corner, hidden underground bars and endless boat cruises are waiting over there for you.

This trip was the best experience of my life by a lot. If you read this and decide to go, I'm sure you'll be dying to thank me after!

Easier communication with home advisors

Victoria
Stillwater, Minnesota
Texas Christian University

Another semester please?

Growing up, I was able to travel with family and it sparked a wanderlust that blossomed into the best decision I ever made - to spend 5 months on my own in Australia. I ended up choosing IES because of their program at the University of Sydney, their mid semester trip, and the housing arrangements. The staff both at the US center and at the one in Sydney were very easy to communicate with and helped me along every step of the way. While in the city, I felt extremely safe knowing that I could easily contact the program directors if an emergency came up. Sydney has everything to offer - great food, arts, sport, scenery, coffee, activities... Getting to explore this incredible city never got dull, and it really did become a second home to me. I cannot wait to go back there some day soon.

It was a little spendy, but overall worth it for the safety and ease of transition and living.

Rachel
St. Louis, MO
Macquarie University

Becoming a Time Traveler

"Oh my gosh! You're in the future!" That was the best comment I heard from friends and family back home. While studying in Australia, most of the time you are a day ahead of everyone in the States. This doesn't seem like a big deal to you, but everyone else can't seem to get over it. Other things that will be second nature after a semester in Sydney-- shortening all your words, the rules of rugby (and the difference between League and Union), and the deliciousness of meat pies and gelato. But before you have the chance to learn all this, you must first get accepted to a uni, apply for a visa, arrive, and then adjust. I had no fear though because IES Abroad Sydney was with me the whole way! From the beginning they sent step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a visa, select my classes, choose a housing option, and so much more. If I did happen to have a question there were previous participants I could contact and also an advisor. Everyone was quick to answer their emails. Once I arrived, the program had a transition orientation and then monthly outings planned. The program directors were very personable and always around to help. Sydney is a wonderful city and I couldn't imagine a better way to get to know it than through IES Abroad Sydney. And I can't wait to go back!

I arrived after my dorm's orientation week which was a little sad. There are some traditions I missed out on, but it didn't really matter in the long run. I wish that my program arrival date was earlier, but I think it was just a mix up between the program and the university.

Rhiannon
Ithaca, NY
University of Sydney

Home is where the koalas are

Do you love adventure? Do you love meeting new people? Do you want to experience a new culture and become more independent? Then IES Abroad is the program for you. There are so many cities across the world to choose from, and I ended up at the University of Sydney in Australia. It was a dream come true to travel so far and call a new city home. IES covered so many bases for us before departure by arranging housing, step by step directions for visa applications, and having awesome events and trips set up for the group once we were in Sydney. The advisers Matt and Kristin were always willing to go out of their way to find out what sort of things we wanted to do and bring us to exciting new places. The mid semester break trip is a must for a great cost and the perfect bonding experience with fellow IES members in other schools in Sydney. The city is incredible, but don’t forget to take advantage of long weekends and see other cities in Australia! Our experience ended with a beautiful IES dinner in the Sydney harbor with photo montages of our semester and hilarious superlatives. It was a great chance to see everyone together one last time and thank our advisers for the continuous support. I would go back to Sydney in a heartbeat if I could. So take the amazing opportunity from IES and “give it a go”!

Ellie
Bridgeport, Connecticut
University of Sydney

livin' in a land down undah

I had the best four 1/2 months of my entire life in Sydney. I went to the University of Sydney and L O V E D it. It's the perfect location between being close to the city and the beaches. The program really tries to get you adjusted to the life. The two program directors at the centre in the city, Matt and Kristen, really made an effort to help and support us. It was awesome having them supporting us whenever we had an issue with something. The city is perfect because you can always find something new to do. I highly recommend going on the week long vacation that IES offers, it's not only an extremely good cost but it's an amazing time to get to know all of the other students in the program. If you love delicious food, amazing people, and beautiful scenery than choose no further than going with IES to study in Sydney! You'll never run out of things to do both in the city or Australia in general. It's super easy to travel throughout the country! (also, make sure you try TimTams!)

My only issue is that I wish we had the option at USyd to live in the colleges as opposed to the apartment buildings. It was still a lot of fun despite that, but the apartments grouped all of the Americans together so you have to make more of an effort to meet new people.

Jessica
Elmhurst, Illinois
University of New South Wales

A Lifetime Experience Down Unda'

During my first week in Australia, I had already learned to adapt the different living styles. One night, my roommates and I decided to go to the common area called the "Old Tote" to play some board games and hopefully meeting new friends. Soon enough, a couple of local Aussies came into the room and asked if they can join us. As we continued to play and socialized about the differences of America, which they called the "States." Chris, which was one of the guys told us that it was possible to ride in the pouches of the kangaroo. I got really excited because I've always wanted to do that when I was younger, so of course I believed him and continued to ask him questions about it. Then later in the week I learned that it was not true and realized that Australians love to joke especially with Americans. I decided to share this story because the sense of humor from the locals provided me a warm welcoming.

This program could be improved by providing a better description of the different living accomodation choices. I really enjoyed my living accomodation however, I did notice that students that lived in the Colleges had more interactions with locals and attended more events. Regardless, I thought this program was tremendous.

Lauren
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
Macquarie University

Adventure is Out There

Living in Australia was one of the most challenging but exciting four months of my life. Meeting locals on the streets of Circular Quay and The Rocks, from snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns, walking along hidden beaches and eating at local cafes, skydiving in New Zealand are just the beginning of my semester abroad. I know this sounds cliche but I felt like I was living in a dream.

I wish my program had set up more fun days trips together to explore more of Sydney or outside of Sydney. The group of friends I made through that program are some of the greatest people I have met and I didn't get to see nearly as much as I wanted to with the short time I had in Australia.

AL
Chicago, IL
Bradley University

Australian Adventures

Studying in Sydney, Australia via the IES Program was the best decision I've ever made. The staff stationed in Sydney were wonderful and the city couldn't have been more perfect. The trips we went on as a group were affordable and heaps of fun! It really allowed me to get cultural immersion easily and in a fun way. I would highly recommend this location and program to anyone wanting to study abroad. Happy Travels! :)

The communication before you get there. I wasn't exactly prepared for what was there.

Meredith
Buffalo, New York

Heaps Keen For Oz

Living a full 24 hours away from home can be terrifying. Ultimately, you will be flying into the unknown, forced to really put yourself out there, learn new things and make new friends all at once. With the help of IES, this process becomes not only smooth but also extremely enjoyable. IES works tirelessly to ensure that you are living safely and comfortably, succeeding in your classes, and forming lifelong friendships. IES organizes a variety of day activities and even weeklong trips to the Great Barrier Reef in order to guarantee that you reach your full potential during your time abroad. Along with the help of IES comes the help of living in the great city of Sydney. Between beaches, restaurants, and clubs, boredom becomes almost impossible. You will never grow tired of exploring the various neighborhoods and famous sites of Sydney all while experiencing new things and assimilating to Australian culture.

Better housing.

marykelly
Charlotte, nc
University of New South Wales

Wouldn't Change it for the world

Studying abroad can be scary and difficult but also very exciting! IES most definitely helped me as I prepared for, arrived, stayed, and left from Australia with the greatest ease. Being skeptical at first of the cost and copious amounts of emails, I am so thankful I stuck with them!
The website clearly explains what needs to be done and when so that you can leave your home country for all pre departure information. I would have never known where to even start with all of my paperwork without them- plus, it was awesome that I could chat with an IES ambassador at my home college before I went to feel out with program I wanted to do and what I was getting myself into before I started the process.
I am pretty sure that the Sydney IES staff, Kristen and Matt, are the best people in the world! Over the course of the semester, they provided us with an orientation and various fun and exciting activities in and around Sydney. They also looked after our health, were there to always talk to, and were simply people I knew I could count on.
I would never trade this amazing experience for anything, and IES made it possible! Thanks, IES!

I wish we had been shown around the city or somehow connected with someone to get us oriented to the new place and help with buying sheets, and other essentials.

IES Abroad offers 120+ programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to