IES Abroad Sydney Direct Enrollment

Our study abroad program in Sydney offers you the opportunity to directly enroll in the prestigious Macquarie University, University of New South Wales, or University of Sydney with access to a vast array of course offerings across hundreds of disciplines.

Sydney will also be your classroom. Enjoy the city’s robust music scene with a performance at the world-renowned Sydney Opera House. Visit one of the many museums, such as the Museum of Contemporary Art or the Art Gallery of New South Wales to see some of the country’s great works of art. Soak in the beauty of Sydney’s landscape by walking the path from Coogee to Bondi Beach—or better yet, climb to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Welcome to study abroad!

Destiny

Semester in Sydney: An Amazing Adventure

Studying abroad in Sydney, Australia was the best experience of my life so far. I went to Sydney to experience and learn from the people around me and I came out with lifelong friendships and a deeper understanding of the world. I’d never traveled before and I never thought in a million years I would be able to study abroad. IES Abroad was a great bridge for me. Allowing for friendly faces from the first day you touch down, to an office staff who answered any and all questions during, prior, and even after my study abroad period. Once I arrived in Sydney, IES Abroad planned events throughout the semester; from break excursions to meals and surf camp. The staff there value you as people and take the time to get to know you and take care of any issues that may arise; whether it was issued with housing or navigating timetables (schedules) and finding tutors. I attended the University of Sydney and lived in an apartment complex located less than a fifteen-minute walk from campus and conveniently located in the heart of Newtown next to great restaurants, movie theater, and plenty of stores. The apartment complex also offers a host of events throughout the year, which is a great way to get to know and make friends with people who are either also exchange students or locals. For me, the best part of the University of Sydney was the ability to take classes at the Conservatorium of Music. It’s located about forty minutes away by public transportation, however, the professors are amazing and it’s a unique opportunity to learn with very talented and passionate musicians. I would highly recommend anyone who is even thinking about studying abroad to look into IES Abroad and its ability to create an amazing experience.

Emily

Amazing Experience!

I had an amazing experience abroad! I had the opportunity to travel, meet new people, and make new friends. The staff at IES Abroad Sydney helped me and was there for me whenever I needed them. They helped me learn how to navigate public transportation, gave advice on places to visit, and kept me updated on different events happening throughout Sydney. They planned fun trips and activities throughout the semester, such as hiking and surfing lessons. I would recommend studying abroad for anyone who is interested!

Kaylin

BEST EXPERIENCE EVER

I could not have asked for a better four months of my entire life. I grew as a person through immersing myself in a new culture, living completely on my own, planning all my own trips, creating friendships of a lifetime, and so much more. You can not go wrong studying abroad in Sydney. What a friendly, diverse, and simply AMAZING city in every aspect. I would do anything to go back and have another four months in the best and most beautiful place on earth. IES supported everyone so much with academics, health related issues, apartments, etc. They were the backbone and helped in EVERY WAY.

It can't be improved. It's perfect.
Natalie

Best 4 months of my life!

I wouldn't have wanted to study abroad with a different program! IES Abroad was there for me before, during, and after my abroad experience. The IES staff truly cares about their students and helping them to succeed during their abroad programs. Before leaving for Sydney, an IES staff member called me to make sure I had all aspects in order before leaving. For example, this staff member made sure I had the right amount of my medications to take with me, as well as offer health resources while I was in Sydney. While in Sydney the on site IES staff member always went above and beyond to help the students in my program. No matter what we needed, she was always there for us. IES also a few activities planned for us during the program so that we could meet all the other students. One of the events was a surfing lesson which was awesome, and something I definitely wouldn't of done otherwise! IES also made the transition to a different type of university seem very easy and seamless. Sydney itself was an amazing location to live. Even though it was a city, there was beach very close by, which I loved! Being in Australia gave me the opportunity to travel to places I never would have otherwise like Bali and New Zealand. I immediately felt at home in Sydney and always felt safe. Some useful tips I would tell future students would be to pack LIGHT and to seriously make a budget and stick to it!! You'll thank yourself later.

Adele

Semester Abroad 2017

Studying abroad is incredibly rewarding, specifically if done in Sydney, Australia. Deciding to study abroad was the best decision I have ever made. I truly believe it is the best thing you can do for yourself. I learned more about myself than I ever could have thought, and really grew as a person in general. I gained additional knowledge of the world and became more confident in myself. Being independent for so long and so far away from home enabled me to fully immerse myself in the Sydney culture. The experiences I had are unforgettable.

Josh

Sydney Semester

Studying abroad in Sydney, Australia was undoubtedly the greatest 5 months of my life. I went to Sydney without knowing a single person in all of Australia and left with countless lifelong friends. The IES Abroad Program played a key role in my unreal experience in Australia. From the moment I arrived in Sydney, the IES staff were there for me for whatever I needed. Not only did they offer great advice on activities to do in and around the city and organize group trips to fun places, but they also went out of their way to make me feel happy and comfortable. It was obvious that they cared deeply about the students in the program and that was probably the reason that so many of us became very close to the staff. IES Abroad made the transition to school in a foreign country so easy that it immediately felt like home. I think about my experience in Sydney everyday and highly recommend it to anybody even slightly interested.

It was near perfect
Ireana

The Best Decision

For the longest time, I knew I wanted to study abroad, but I never thought I would find myself halfway across the world in Australia! Choosing to study and live in Sydney was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It was an even better decision to travel with IES Abroad. The directors Matt and Michelle are some of the nicest, down to earth, friendly people and they make you feel right at home. The trips that were planned through the program allowed me to meet other American students that were going through the same initial excitement and concern that arises when living in a new place. I was able to experience things I wouldn't have been able to if I traveled alone and have a great time connecting. I studied at Macquarie University and it was one of the most diverse campuses I have ever been on with some of the coolest and chillest professors ever. There was always something to do on campus or in the city and I never got tired of spending an afternoon swimming and chilling on the beach. I highly recommend IES Abroad for those interested in studying in Sydney!

Michael

A New Beginning

Studying Abroad was not the easiest decision I've ever made, but by far it has been the best. During my experience I had an amazing time traveling throughout Australia and learning about the culture. While traveling I gained a greater appreciation for nature, the Australian culture and the culture of the Indigenous people of Australia. I lived in residential dorm where I lived very close to many local Australians who helped me experience the country very well. From going to house races, to watching and playing in rugby games to surfing on the beach, I was able to fully immerse myself in the Australian culture and enjoy my time. I recommend anyone who has any slight interest to study abroad to just apply and go for it. This experience will change the way you view studying at University and will give you the chance one more time to be a freshman really live at University like you never had.

One way the program could be improved would to have more Universities involved.
Steph

A Wonderful Semester

Spending my spring semester at University of Sydney with IES was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Going through IES provided me with amazing housing, support, trips, and much more that I wouldn’t have had without IES (my friends from other programs were so jealous of what we had!). Our program directors were extremely kind, welcoming, and helpful with everything from getting comfortable in Sydney to planning trips to medical help. With the program we got to snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef, explore the rainforest, hike, eat amazing food, learn to surf, and so much more. Having the support and comfort of IES made the transition to Sydney so easy, and I really felt at home. The classes I took at Uni were some of my favorite classes I’ve ever taken, and I had so much fun. I feel so lucky to have experienced all that I did, and I’ll always look back fondly at my adventures abroad with IES.

Courtney Regan
Courtney

Aussie Bound

When I look back at my experience abroad, it seems almost like a dream. Thanks to the IES Abroad it really was a dream that came through. Never would I ever have thought that I would be able to study at a huge internationally known university, meet so many amazingly diverse people, or even get to see someone the greatest world wonders. This was by far the greatest program to experience this through. From the moment that I confirmed that I wanted to participate in the program to when I arrived at the airport to staying connected once arrived to even now after the fact, the IES family has helped me along the way. All of my questions were always answered. The trips that they had planned for us, from the Great Barrier Reef to canoeing and hiking, were better then I thought they were going to be. Sydney is a beautiful, thriving and welcoming city, but with IES I was able to go beyond that to see the country and experience Australian culture. Plus, I have friends from all over the world thanks to the Sydney Studying Abroad Program and IES. I can't wait to go back for more and I hope you get the opportunity to go through what I went through as well!

I think everything was spectacular!
Stephanie

Life Down Under

Spring 2016 I was able to study in Sydney Australia and it was the best experience I've had. Going through IES made it easy because they provided us with housing and trips throughout the semester. Housing was great because it was in the village of the University. I was able to meet many Australians through this housing placement as well as other Americans. The trips they took us one were amazing. We were able to go hike in the blue mountains, Cairns to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef, have a cultural experience with the Aboriginal people, and many more. The location of Sydney was amazing because we were right in the city and very close to night life as well as the different markets and the Harbours. Traveling around Australia was very easy as well. I think that choosing Sydney Australia was a great choice and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to study abroad. You will be able to see so many amazing views, meet the kindest people and eat the best food!!

Grace

The Most Amazing Four Months

This experience was hands-down incredible. Looking back on my time in Australia, it feels as if I was living in a fairy tale world. From snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, to zip lining in the rain forest and sleeping amongst some of Australia's wildest animals, it was an experience that will never be forgotten. IES was such a great help and held very awesome and fun programs. Being so far from home, IES made me feel so accommodated and allowed me to adjust so much easier!

If I had to change one thing, I would put all abroad students in apartments, rather than some in singles. I would also mix living arrangements with abroad students and Australian students.
Connor

Sydney, Australia: The Best Semester of My Life

My semester in Sydney was far better than I could have ever imagined it would be. From the moment I got through customs in Australia the IES leaders were always there to provide a helping hand when needed. IES also organized numerous free lunches, a once in a lifetime trip to Cairns over mid semester break, and a surfing lesson which were all incredible experiences. The program directors were all very personable and kind which made the journey through my semester abroad even more amazing. The city is always busy with awesome events and concerts, the beaches are gorgeous, the people are friendly, and the education at University of Sydney was spectacular. Overall my semester in Sydney was by far the best four and a half months of my life and IES made it possible in an easy and affordable manner. If you're looking to study abroad, I would HIGHLY recommend going to Sydney through IES Abroad!

Jen

Amazing experience!

Studying abroad through IES at the University of Sydney was an incredible experience. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was in love with Australia. Switching up the environment in which you live and learn completely changes your worldview and provides you with opportunities that you never knew were out there. In addition, the relationships you create become strong enough to last a lifetime. I truly appreciate all the programs and events that IES planned/took us to because it was during these experiences that I was given the opportunity to explore the country in more depth and detail, while getting to know my peers in the program. IES makes it easy to adjust to a different culture, and is a useful resource when it comes to any questions you may have while away from home. I would recommend studying through IES to any prospective student!

I would make the program longer
Morgan

Sydney Abroad

The city of Sydney stole my heart the moment I stepped off the plane. I was blessed to be able to make so many life long friends from traveling with this program. I can't imagine not knowing these wonderful and diverse people before. The experiences that I have been able to take part in have been remarkable as well. My new found friends and I were able to road trip up the east coast of Australia from Brisbane to Cairns with multiple adventures on the way. We were also able to leave Australia to venture all the way to New Zealand. These past four months have been the most exciting and challenging yet most rewarding months of my life.

My favourite part of Sydney however has to be how you can explore for countless hours. I am very much the type of person who enjoys wandering around and exploring a new place until I know it like the back of my hand, but after four months here I am still discovering new restaurants and things to do. There are endless opportunities for anyone who chooses to call Sydney home for their program and I hope that if the opportunity presents itself for someone to travel here they take it in a heartbeat.

I would have liked to take one trip with my program after we were all done with class rather than a lot of them at the beginning.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...