IES Abroad Sydney Direct Enrollment

Our study abroad program in Sydney offers you the opportunity to directly enroll in the prestigious Macquarie University, University of New South Wales, or University of Sydney with access to a vast array of course offerings across hundreds of disciplines.

Sydney will also be your classroom. Enjoy the city’s robust music scene with a performance at the world-renowned Sydney Opera House. Visit one of the many museums, such as the Museum of Contemporary Art or the Art Gallery of New South Wales to see some of the country’s great works of art. Soak in the beauty of Sydney’s landscape by walking the path from Coogee to Bondi Beach—or better yet, climb to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Welcome to study abroad!

Adele

Semester Abroad 2017

Studying abroad is incredibly rewarding, specifically if done in Sydney, Australia. Deciding to study abroad was the best decision I have ever made. I truly believe it is the best thing you can do for yourself. I learned more about myself than I ever could have thought, and really grew as a person in general. I gained additional knowledge of the world and became more confident in myself. Being independent for so long and so far away from home enabled me to fully immerse myself in the Sydney culture. The experiences I had are unforgettable.

Josh

Sydney Semester

Studying abroad in Sydney, Australia was undoubtedly the greatest 5 months of my life. I went to Sydney without knowing a single person in all of Australia and left with countless lifelong friends. The IES Abroad Program played a key role in my unreal experience in Australia. From the moment I arrived in Sydney, the IES staff were there for me for whatever I needed. Not only did they offer great advice on activities to do in and around the city and organize group trips to fun places, but they also went out of their way to make me feel happy and comfortable. It was obvious that they cared deeply about the students in the program and that was probably the reason that so many of us became very close to the staff. IES Abroad made the transition to school in a foreign country so easy that it immediately felt like home. I think about my experience in Sydney everyday and highly recommend it to anybody even slightly interested.

It was near perfect
Ireana

The Best Decision

For the longest time, I knew I wanted to study abroad, but I never thought I would find myself halfway across the world in Australia! Choosing to study and live in Sydney was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It was an even better decision to travel with IES Abroad. The directors Matt and Michelle are some of the nicest, down to earth, friendly people and they make you feel right at home. The trips that were planned through the program allowed me to meet other American students that were going through the same initial excitement and concern that arises when living in a new place. I was able to experience things I wouldn't have been able to if I traveled alone and have a great time connecting. I studied at Macquarie University and it was one of the most diverse campuses I have ever been on with some of the coolest and chillest professors ever. There was always something to do on campus or in the city and I never got tired of spending an afternoon swimming and chilling on the beach. I highly recommend IES Abroad for those interested in studying in Sydney!

Michael

A New Beginning

Studying Abroad was not the easiest decision I've ever made, but by far it has been the best. During my experience I had an amazing time traveling throughout Australia and learning about the culture. While traveling I gained a greater appreciation for nature, the Australian culture and the culture of the Indigenous people of Australia. I lived in residential dorm where I lived very close to many local Australians who helped me experience the country very well. From going to house races, to watching and playing in rugby games to surfing on the beach, I was able to fully immerse myself in the Australian culture and enjoy my time. I recommend anyone who has any slight interest to study abroad to just apply and go for it. This experience will change the way you view studying at University and will give you the chance one more time to be a freshman really live at University like you never had.

One way the program could be improved would to have more Universities involved.
Steph

A Wonderful Semester

Spending my spring semester at University of Sydney with IES was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Going through IES provided me with amazing housing, support, trips, and much more that I wouldn’t have had without IES (my friends from other programs were so jealous of what we had!). Our program directors were extremely kind, welcoming, and helpful with everything from getting comfortable in Sydney to planning trips to medical help. With the program we got to snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef, explore the rainforest, hike, eat amazing food, learn to surf, and so much more. Having the support and comfort of IES made the transition to Sydney so easy, and I really felt at home. The classes I took at Uni were some of my favorite classes I’ve ever taken, and I had so much fun. I feel so lucky to have experienced all that I did, and I’ll always look back fondly at my adventures abroad with IES.

Courtney Regan
Courtney

Aussie Bound

When I look back at my experience abroad, it seems almost like a dream. Thanks to the IES Abroad it really was a dream that came through. Never would I ever have thought that I would be able to study at a huge internationally known university, meet so many amazingly diverse people, or even get to see someone the greatest world wonders. This was by far the greatest program to experience this through. From the moment that I confirmed that I wanted to participate in the program to when I arrived at the airport to staying connected once arrived to even now after the fact, the IES family has helped me along the way. All of my questions were always answered. The trips that they had planned for us, from the Great Barrier Reef to canoeing and hiking, were better then I thought they were going to be. Sydney is a beautiful, thriving and welcoming city, but with IES I was able to go beyond that to see the country and experience Australian culture. Plus, I have friends from all over the world thanks to the Sydney Studying Abroad Program and IES. I can't wait to go back for more and I hope you get the opportunity to go through what I went through as well!

I think everything was spectacular!
Stephanie

Life Down Under

Spring 2016 I was able to study in Sydney Australia and it was the best experience I've had. Going through IES made it easy because they provided us with housing and trips throughout the semester. Housing was great because it was in the village of the University. I was able to meet many Australians through this housing placement as well as other Americans. The trips they took us one were amazing. We were able to go hike in the blue mountains, Cairns to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef, have a cultural experience with the Aboriginal people, and many more. The location of Sydney was amazing because we were right in the city and very close to night life as well as the different markets and the Harbours. Traveling around Australia was very easy as well. I think that choosing Sydney Australia was a great choice and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to study abroad. You will be able to see so many amazing views, meet the kindest people and eat the best food!!

Grace

The Most Amazing Four Months

This experience was hands-down incredible. Looking back on my time in Australia, it feels as if I was living in a fairy tale world. From snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, to zip lining in the rain forest and sleeping amongst some of Australia's wildest animals, it was an experience that will never be forgotten. IES was such a great help and held very awesome and fun programs. Being so far from home, IES made me feel so accommodated and allowed me to adjust so much easier!

If I had to change one thing, I would put all abroad students in apartments, rather than some in singles. I would also mix living arrangements with abroad students and Australian students.
Connor

Sydney, Australia: The Best Semester of My Life

My semester in Sydney was far better than I could have ever imagined it would be. From the moment I got through customs in Australia the IES leaders were always there to provide a helping hand when needed. IES also organized numerous free lunches, a once in a lifetime trip to Cairns over mid semester break, and a surfing lesson which were all incredible experiences. The program directors were all very personable and kind which made the journey through my semester abroad even more amazing. The city is always busy with awesome events and concerts, the beaches are gorgeous, the people are friendly, and the education at University of Sydney was spectacular. Overall my semester in Sydney was by far the best four and a half months of my life and IES made it possible in an easy and affordable manner. If you're looking to study abroad, I would HIGHLY recommend going to Sydney through IES Abroad!

Jen

Amazing experience!

Studying abroad through IES at the University of Sydney was an incredible experience. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was in love with Australia. Switching up the environment in which you live and learn completely changes your worldview and provides you with opportunities that you never knew were out there. In addition, the relationships you create become strong enough to last a lifetime. I truly appreciate all the programs and events that IES planned/took us to because it was during these experiences that I was given the opportunity to explore the country in more depth and detail, while getting to know my peers in the program. IES makes it easy to adjust to a different culture, and is a useful resource when it comes to any questions you may have while away from home. I would recommend studying through IES to any prospective student!

I would make the program longer
Morgan

Sydney Abroad

The city of Sydney stole my heart the moment I stepped off the plane. I was blessed to be able to make so many life long friends from traveling with this program. I can't imagine not knowing these wonderful and diverse people before. The experiences that I have been able to take part in have been remarkable as well. My new found friends and I were able to road trip up the east coast of Australia from Brisbane to Cairns with multiple adventures on the way. We were also able to leave Australia to venture all the way to New Zealand. These past four months have been the most exciting and challenging yet most rewarding months of my life.

My favourite part of Sydney however has to be how you can explore for countless hours. I am very much the type of person who enjoys wandering around and exploring a new place until I know it like the back of my hand, but after four months here I am still discovering new restaurants and things to do. There are endless opportunities for anyone who chooses to call Sydney home for their program and I hope that if the opportunity presents itself for someone to travel here they take it in a heartbeat.

I would have liked to take one trip with my program after we were all done with class rather than a lot of them at the beginning.
Steven

A second home

I titled this a second home for a reason. Not only have I been missing Sydney since being home but I am physically home sick for it. Leaving to go abroad, I had the highest of high expectations and this trip still exceeded them. I never expected to be part of such an amazing opportunity in my life.

The Friends I made:
I didn't know anyone when I left for this trip but that didn't last long. The friends come so quickly; whether it's locals because you the interesting foreigner or because its other travels looking to get to know people just like you are. The friends you make on this trips quickly become your friends for life.

The things I saw:
The Sydney Opera House is the kind of site that's on everyones bucket list but imagine it becoming your backyard. If you're even slightly willing to do some exploring the miraculous things you'll encounter will blow you away. Sydney has awesome public transportation so almost everything is a bus ride or two away. The best of the best however are their sunsets. They are so unbelievable that sunsets will be forever ruin thereafter.

The experiences I had:
I went bungee jumping.... off a roof ......on a bike..... Australia's amazing. (This was on my own time of course.) They have ultimate thrills all over but that's just who I am. If you like the beach hop on the bus anytime you please. Australia only has over 10,000 to choose from. Coffee shops around every corner, hidden underground bars and endless boat cruises are waiting over there for you.

This trip was the best experience of my life by a lot. If you read this and decide to go, I'm sure you'll be dying to thank me after!

Easier communication with home advisors
Victoria

Another semester please?

Growing up, I was able to travel with family and it sparked a wanderlust that blossomed into the best decision I ever made - to spend 5 months on my own in Australia. I ended up choosing IES because of their program at the University of Sydney, their mid semester trip, and the housing arrangements. The staff both at the US center and at the one in Sydney were very easy to communicate with and helped me along every step of the way. While in the city, I felt extremely safe knowing that I could easily contact the program directors if an emergency came up. Sydney has everything to offer - great food, arts, sport, scenery, coffee, activities... Getting to explore this incredible city never got dull, and it really did become a second home to me. I cannot wait to go back there some day soon.

It was a little spendy, but overall worth it for the safety and ease of transition and living.
Rachel

Becoming a Time Traveler

"Oh my gosh! You're in the future!" That was the best comment I heard from friends and family back home. While studying in Australia, most of the time you are a day ahead of everyone in the States. This doesn't seem like a big deal to you, but everyone else can't seem to get over it. Other things that will be second nature after a semester in Sydney-- shortening all your words, the rules of rugby (and the difference between League and Union), and the deliciousness of meat pies and gelato. But before you have the chance to learn all this, you must first get accepted to a uni, apply for a visa, arrive, and then adjust. I had no fear though because IES Abroad Sydney was with me the whole way! From the beginning they sent step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a visa, select my classes, choose a housing option, and so much more. If I did happen to have a question there were previous participants I could contact and also an advisor. Everyone was quick to answer their emails. Once I arrived, the program had a transition orientation and then monthly outings planned. The program directors were very personable and always around to help. Sydney is a wonderful city and I couldn't imagine a better way to get to know it than through IES Abroad Sydney. And I can't wait to go back!

I arrived after my dorm's orientation week which was a little sad. There are some traditions I missed out on, but it didn't really matter in the long run. I wish that my program arrival date was earlier, but I think it was just a mix up between the program and the university.
Rhiannon

Home is where the koalas are

Do you love adventure? Do you love meeting new people? Do you want to experience a new culture and become more independent? Then IES Abroad is the program for you. There are so many cities across the world to choose from, and I ended up at the University of Sydney in Australia. It was a dream come true to travel so far and call a new city home. IES covered so many bases for us before departure by arranging housing, step by step directions for visa applications, and having awesome events and trips set up for the group once we were in Sydney. The advisers Matt and Kristin were always willing to go out of their way to find out what sort of things we wanted to do and bring us to exciting new places. The mid semester break trip is a must for a great cost and the perfect bonding experience with fellow IES members in other schools in Sydney. The city is incredible, but don’t forget to take advantage of long weekends and see other cities in Australia! Our experience ended with a beautiful IES dinner in the Sydney harbor with photo montages of our semester and hilarious superlatives. It was a great chance to see everyone together one last time and thank our advisers for the continuous support. I would go back to Sydney in a heartbeat if I could. So take the amazing opportunity from IES and “give it a go”!

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...