CIEE Business, Communications + Culture in Belgium

Grand Place -- an attraction at the center of the city that I visited as much as possible throughout my time in Brussels. You will be in awe at its grandiose presence.
Around the month of May, the Bluebells of the Hollerbos forest bloom and cover huge amounts of area with a beautiful purple veil. A must see.
bachelorette party
bachelorette party
cracking a cold one
cracking a cold one
CIEE Study Abroad (Brussels, Belgium)

Get a firsthand look at current political and economic issues by taking classes alongside Belgian students in the capital of the European Union. CIEE’s partner school, Vesalius College is your host for coursework in English on global affairs, human rights, international business and entrepreneurship, and communications and journalism. Centrally located in the heart of the city, students can immerse themselves in the melting pot of cultures and languages with an optional internship at a local business. For students with strong French language skills, classes are available at Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB). All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• TAKE CLASSES IN ENGLISH and opt for one in Dutch or French if your skills match up.
  • LEARN ON THE GO with visits to European Union institutions, as well as other Belgian cities and one of Belgium neighboring countries.
  • BOOST YOUR KNOWLEDGE with strong communications offerings, like intercultural communication, script writing for radio and television, international reporting in Brussels, and more.

Win up to $3,000 for 2020 Study Abroad with CIEE!

Put “study abroad” on your 2020 calendar! Enter the Seize the Season Sweepstakes for a chance to be one of eight lucky students who will share up to $24,000 in study abroad scholarships with CIEE. Choose your prize: $1,500 toward any of 80+ summer study abroad programs or $3,000 toward any of 100+ fall study abroad programs. The sweepstakes ends on April 15, 2020. Enter today!

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Rachel

An Incomparable Experience Through Multiple Seasons

I don't know how I can even begin to explain how fabulous my CIEE experience in Belgium was. I'll start with the academics; at Vesalius College, I wasn't ever in a class that was larger than 15 people, which was a huge change from what I was used to at my home university. The classes have a moderate academic rigor, but at the same time I had no issue getting credits to transfer back to my home school. The professors seem to cycle out fairly often, but I have no complaints whatsoever about the quality or the organization of the semester I spent there.

Next up, the support that CIEE provided was out of this world. Aside from having staff there that are more than willing to help you adjust to your new environment, they want to be your friend. They act as such amazing advocates not only academically and culturally but personally as well. I think being in a CIEE program really fostered the group dynamic that developed so quickly during my time in Belgium; through sponsored excursions and classes reserved only for the CIEE group, I was consistently connected to the on-site staff, and developed meaningful relationships with them.

Housing can be different from situation to situation, but I know that just about everyone in my group was totally satisfied with their placement. My homestay was so unexpectedly perfect; I felt spoiled to have such a caring and fun host that cooked amazing food and was always energetic and interested in my European endeavors. All in all, I know that CIEE puts a lot of effort into making strong matches for housing, and it really shows.

Finally, I can speak to the city of Brussels/country of Belgium itself, apart from CIEE. Let me tell you; it is one crazy, unique, enigmatic, wonderful city/country. If you do a quick internet search on Belgium, you'll find that the country is divided in many ways; linguistically, politically, geographically, etc, and the city of Brussels is just as mixed. However, the diversity and differentiation of Brussels is what makes it so compelling. You're consistently surrounded by people speaking many different languages, from many different parts of Europe, all in Brussels for different reasons. The city is versatile, and you'll feel like you're in the ultimate melting pot when you first arrive, which can be scary and totally awesome at the same time. Meanwhile, if it does get to overwhelming, you're in the "center" of Europe and it is beyond easy to travel almost anywhere in Europe you please.

One thing I really loved about Brussels was the greenspace; it has a good number of parks, and a lot of other cool destinations throughout Belgium host great outdoor spaces as well. However, I'm not going to lie to you: don't be disappointed when you can't visit these greenspaces for many months out of the year. The one thing that really got me about Belgium is its weather. I arrived in January, and I kid you not, it was rainy and cloudy almost every day until March. Granted, the city is full of culture and there were plenty of indoor activities to keep me occupied, but beware of the possible seasonal depression you may experience if you arrive during the more wintery times of the year (P.S. it only rains, and hardly ever snows, despite the air feeling like 15 degrees F. You decide if that's a good or a bad thing. Bring your umbrella.)

Then again, the seasonality of Brussels is what I think made me fall in love with it all together. I got to experience a total transformation of a city that already had my heart. Once March hit, it was sunny all the time and I was so excited to soak it up and see my home in a whole new light (literally).

I could go on and on and on about how delightful my experience in Brussels was. The staff, combined with reasonable academics, combined with such a uniquely fantastic location created the mix for a perfect semester.

Kate

Home Away from Home

Moving to a foreign country where you are a stranger to the language, culture, city, and weather is outright scary. You may cope by being timid, awkward, and standoffish. But take this opportunity and fly with it. Go on spontaneous trips. Drink all the Belgian beer you can. Make friends that you will keep for a life time. Get lost and explore the city you are now part of. Enjoy every moment because you know it, you will be on your flight back home.