• Spain
    • Seville
Term
Fall, J-Term, Spring, Summer
Anthropology Architecture Business Cultural Studies European Studies History Religious Studies Sociology

Program Details

Dormitory Host Family

Pricing

What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Classes Some Meals Travel Insurance
Jul 14, 2022
Sep 16, 2022
9 travelers are looking at this program

The capital of southern Spain’s Andalusia region is dotted with remarkable architectural remnants from its historical past, including the Alcázar of Seville, one of the most beautiful palaces in Spain.

Courses are available in English and Spanish.

Program Highlights

• Housed in a beautifully renovated palace built in 1725, CIEE Seville is close to the Royal Alcázar palace, a quick walk from the main building of the Universidad de Sevilla and EUSA.
  • Explore and step back centuries in time with tours of Roman ruins in Italica or the medieval city of Carmona.
  • Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer.

Popular Programs

CIEE Seville Summer Programs

Nearly always sunny, Seville is a warm, welcoming city and the perfect place to absorb Spain’s unique culture. Seville offers a large variety of cultural activities that range from the Flamenco Biennial and the European Film Festival to alternative theater venues, bars with live music, beautiful streets and open spaces and, of course, one of the most respected bullrings in the world.

CIEE Seville Semester Programs

Study alongside local students across a broad range of disciplines, in Spanish, while immersing yourself in the rich culture of Seville. Explore and step back centuries in time with tours of Roman ruins in Italica or the medieval city of Carmona.

CIEE Seville January Program

CIEE’s January in Seville program invites students of all majors to explore Spanish society through the lens of culture and cuisine.

CIEE

CIEE Scholarships and Grants

CIEE’s need-based grants offer support to students who face financial barriers to studying abroad. CIEE awards need-based grants based on students’ EFCs and program selection. The Gilman Go Global Grant offers students $750-$2,000 toward airfare, plus $2,500 toward semester program costs, or $1,000 toward summer program costs.

$500 - $2,500

• 9-10 rating 93.33%
  • 7-8 rating 6.67%
Cole

Life-Changing Semester

As cliché as it sounds, CIEE's Liberal Arts Program Sevilla changed my life and I believe it is the best program in Spain.

I lived with a host family in the center of the city, which allowed me to practice my language skills, get to know what daily life is like, and try regional, home-cooked foods. I felt comfortable like I was in my own home and still maintain a relationship with my host family even though I am back in the USA.

On the academic side, I enrolled in classes directly at the Universidad de Sevilla. This was one of the best decisions I ever made. My Spanish language skills improved immensely to the point I can now speak fluently. Moreover, I was able to connect with Spanish students in my class who became my best friends while I was abroad. These classes transferred back to my home university without any problems

CIEE was a phenomenal program provider. When I got COVID after a month of being in Spain, CIEE was quick to respond and get me the help I needed. They made the process so easy and I could not have imagined what I would have done without their support. This is only just a snapshot of the organization, professionalism, and experience of CIEE's staff in Sevilla. CIEE's planning of day trips around Andalucia was exceptional, allowing us to see places like Cordoba, Cadiz, and Ronda. Additionally, CIEE plans many activities within Sevilla that allowed us to get to the city's history, traditions, and attractions.

I can only say positive things about CIEE and its programs. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to study abroad in Spain.

Pros
  • Language Immersion
  • Cultural Immersion
  • Day Trips & City Excursions
Kim

An Unforgettable Semester with CIEE in Sevilla

My experience with CIEE in Sevilla was truly unforgettable. The beauty of the city, wonderful cultural events, and language immersion made my spring semester of junior year easily the best part of my college experience. Being immersed in the Spanish language not only drastically improved my skills, but made me feel at home. Having the opportunity to live with a host mom was my favorite thing about the program. We developed an amazing relationship through the many meals we shared together, time we spent watching her favorite shows, and conversations we had about our lives. Her impact on me will always be cherished.

The staff at CIEE made the transition from attending an American university to a Spanish university as comfortable as possible. They were warm and welcoming to all of their student and ensured that we know their role in helping us have an amazing semester. Taking classes taught in Spanish at CIEE, as well as the University, greatly improved my comprehension skills and made it easier to build fluency. Having the ability to communicate with the locals and build relationships with other exchange students from around the world gave me friendships that will last a lifetime.

Sevilla is breathtaking. The architecture of the buildings gives a glimpse into the city's rich history. CIEE provided activities and excursions throughout the semester to explore everything Sevilla has to offer. In the spring semester, students get to experience La Semana Santa and La Feria, two of the biggest festivals celebrated in Sevilla. Students can be immersed in the beautiful culture of Sevilla and learn more about the history of Andalusia while engaging with the locals and participating in the Andalusian lifestyle. These memories studying in Sevilla with CIEE were truly unforgettable and made it the experience of a lifetime.

Pros
  • Language immersion
  • Enriching cultural experiences
  • Living in a homestay with a Spanish family
Cons
  • The semester went by too quickly!
Thomas

My Experience with CIEE Seville: Communication, New Media + Journalism Spanish

I truly had an incredible experience in my semester abroad in Sevilla with CIEE. Beyond navigating a new place and having fun traveling, exploring, and other such things, I felt that this program gave me a unique opportunity to gain a level of autonomy, as well as a level of peace and self-confidence among some manageable challenge. My program in particular, as a Spanish minor, required that all my classes were in Spanish, and that I would do a homestay with a family that only spoke Spanish. I think that in my experience, the thing for which I'm most grateful to CIEE is the way that housing was handled. I know that my experience in a homestay is a bit of a particular one, but it was one of the best parts of my experience. My host family was kind and supportive, they offered me a healthy, exciting environment to improve my Spanish speaking, and they gave me the freedom to live as I saw fit.
Additionally, I'd like to note that CIEE's faculty were always incredibly supportive and understanding of students' circumstances. It was clearly that they genuinely cared about as students and people.

Pros
  • Travel opportunities and other amenities
  • A staff that cares about you
  • dedicated and careful housing matching
Cons
  • Class structure was, at least for me, not ideal
  • Class selection process was unclear and felt a bit inefficient
Michelle

Life changing experience

My experience studying abroad in Seville with CIEE really changed my outlook on life. I lived in a homestay and attended the University de Sevilla and had a true immersion in the Spanish culture by attending culture experiences, like Feria and Semana Santa. The weather is absolutely stunning even in the winter months, and the people in the city have personalities just as warm. CIEE supported struggling students within my program and really encouraged us to try new things. If I could, I'd go now!

Pros
  • Beautiful weather
  • Kind people
  • Amazing food
Cons
  • Smaller airport
Sofia

CIEE Study Abroad Spring 2022, Sevilla Spain

My experience with CIEE was wonderful this past Spring in Sevilla, Spain. I felt like there was so much pre- and post-program communication and support. There were numerous info sessions where students could attend, and people at CIEE were in constant communication with me for any inquiries I had. I made so many friends on the program from the United States and Spain, and those relationships have carried with me back to my college campus. CIEE throughout the semester, hosted numerous cultural activities such as wine tastings, excursions to local cities, food classes, dance classes and more.

Pros
  • Language Learning
  • Cultural Immersion
  • Cultural Events
Olivia

Best Month of my Four Years of College

Deciding to study abroad in Seville was one of the best decisions I ever made. My time there with CIEE literally could not have been any better. The support staff was amazing, and they provided us with countless activities and ideas for things to do throughout the city. We also got to go on excursions to explore the surrounding areas. I took weekend trips to Portugal and Morocco when I had the chance, and I would highly recommend anyone studying abroad in Europe to take advantage of the ability to travel so easily. The friends I met during my program will be friends for life. Additionally, I found it very easy to adjust to the culture, even while living in a homestay. My host parents were exceptionally kind and helpful. The city of Seville was the perfect place to live as a foreign student. The city is on the smaller side, and almost entirely walkable, so you don't have to worry about finding transportation to get around. There are endless activities to take part in, beautiful streets to explore, and restaurants to eat at. People are friendly and welcoming to Americans. Overall, I would recommend this experience to anyone and everyone. It really changed my life.

Pros
  • Walkable city
  • Easy to travel outside the city
  • Lots of activities provided
Cons
  • Ended too soon!
Henry

This experience changed my life!

Words can’t describe how awesome this program was. During my adventure I learned how to say hello, thank you and goodbye in 5 languages. I saw so many cool historical and natural sites that I got tired of them. I got to really close with my host family, experienced real Spanish traditions, and we still stay in contact. I spent time volunteering at a middle school and improved my Spanish from beginner to intermediate. I had classes with all kinds of international kids who had experiences all over the world. I learned and reflected about how culture affects the way we learn and look at the world. Best of all, I overcame a lot of my personal fears and gained a new level of confidence and intercultural competence that has changed my life.

Go all in. Like a skateboarder dropping into a bowl, commit yourself fully to the experience. In the end, the experience is what you make of it, so if you are open, willing to lean, set some goals, and reflect on the experience you are going to love your time abroad.
Maren

Smart program, useful classes, still second to the city

I picked this because I'm a comm major w/interest in journalism, and because of the urban setting and CIEE's varied extracurricular activities.

Staff and faculty are smart, caring people. Any help I needed could be found on the top floor of study center. They are open about safety, resources, etc. and they hold students to a high standard of using common sense. The response to COVID was calm, informed, and measured.

Students cared about their Spanish skills and immersion. The day trips are great, but the more frequent tours and activities throughout the week are awesome ways to meet more faculty, a super easy way to get to know the city and the social calendar as well as other students from CIEE's many programs. About half of my classes were fairly easy, the other half were more serious/high level work. All the classes had less reading required than at my home university. Magazine class focused on storytelling and Profe Oscar Ceballos cares passionately about the craft. My Cursos Concertados flamenco class was fantastic. The classes available to you are in the study center for the CNMJ, Nervion for business, Triana for a few more, like my dance class. The classes do not necessarily help you get out into the community in an interactive and deep way, that is more up to you to figure out how to build connections with vendors or citizens when you visit the market or the women's march with class. I expected it to push me more/harder to do that. Regardless, the opportunities are there!

Homestays are great, and for the CNMJ program their location is in La Alameda or La Macarena, home to a lively artist community and close to the river and Calle Feria, and closer to the study center than the other neighborhoods, so it is arguably the best homestay neighborhood CIEE has in Seville.
I loved walking everywhere, smelling the orange blossoms, and riding a bike, as well as weekend independent travel. I had a little trouble connecting with my homestay (only 8 weeks though cuz COVID) but we got along well. I was with another student and she interacted very little with me. CIEE's weekly activities and their first month-ish social helped add variety and meet new people.

Add variety to your schedule: join a club; sign up for excursions - the ones that are just a few hours are easy, comfortable, and show you great places to hang out in the city, and are free/included in tuition; take a class outside your focus (I took "History of Flamenco through Dance" and "Business Ethics," both classes for international students. almost, but not all, of students in these courses were from the USA and in Seville with CIEE). Look for a language exchange at a local restaurant or bar. CIEE's has mostly English speakers, and if you join a non-CIEE one you will meet people who have found things in the city you don't know about. CIEE's program is a great jumping off point, but not the end goal.
Another piece of advice for anyone abroad, in any program, is: Trust that you will find your place socially and that you are worthy of inclusion and appreciation. It can take effort, time, and chance to find security in your peers. This program is small though CIEE Seville is big and you might feel like the odd one out among 11 others at first, but it will work out. You're