City or country? Urban or rural? Sustainability and human development is not the same everywhere and at ICDS, we understand students' needs when it comes to the best places to discover and learn about these topics.
For this reason, this unique program is divided into two experiences: urban & rural. First, students will spend 3 weeks in the capital city of San Jose, taking Spanish language classes and immersing themselves in the culture of the city. The urban experience also includes community service, homestays with local Spanish-speaking families and group cultural activities. Students will then transfer to Finca La Flor, an agro-eco farm in the Cartago province where they take the Sustainability Practices & Food Security course, do community work on the farm, and enjoy some weekend day trips. After completing the community work on the farm, students take part in a relaxing final excursion to the beach before concluding the program back in San Jose.
- Two-site program, half in urban San Jose and half in rural Finca La Flor
- Complete Spanish immersion through homestays and community work
- Service-learning with ICDS' network of non-profit groups and Finca La Flor
- Organized group excursions and cultural activities
- On-site counselling and 24/7 emergency assistance