CEA Study Abroad in San José, Costa Rica

San José, the capital of Costa Rica, blends urban life and natural beauty with more than 800 miles of coastline and acres of lush rainforests lying just a short drive from this diverse metropolitan center.

Study a wide range of subjects with CEA’s partner university Veritas University. It boasts a large international student body with a focus on international business, intensive and medical Spanish language, and health sciences. Courses are available in both Spanish and English.

In addition to study abroad opportunities, the CEA™ Internships Abroad program provides hands-on, pre-professional experiences that will let you to dive into a career field, develop the skills you need, and help you rise above the competition when applying for your dream job.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to see what’s possible!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
  • Career workshops, Internships Abroad, and Alumni Ambassador positions

CEA Scholarships
CEA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Studying abroad will change your life, improve your employability, and enhance your global competence. That's why we commit more than $2.0 million each year to our financial and scholarship programs.

$400 - $3,000

I believe CEA only works with college students, but some Rotary chapters help high school students study abroad. Good luck!

Demitra

CEA San José - the ultimate abroad experience

I loved Costa Rica, and I know going with CEA was the right choice. I had a ton of support from the on-site staff, and I knew I could count on them. I took two months of advanced intensive Spanish and I spoke fluently by the end. I made amazing friends and I love my host family. Part of my heart with always be in Costa Rica.

Tips:
1. Pay for a checked bag to bring sunscreen/shampoo/conditioner - imported stuff like that is expensive in Costa Rica.
2. Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself speaking Spanish. The only way to learn is to try!
3. Visit Puerto Viejo, but stay in Punta Uva or Manzanilla, which are nicer beaches right next door. Puerto Viejo has good night life.
4. You'll probably end up eating some ants at some point. That's not a tip. I'm just letting you know.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

What insightful and honest tips, Demitra! Thanks so much for sharing and Pura Vida.

Elizabeth

Best Experience in My Life!!!

My semester abroad in Costa Rica was absolutely amazing! Costa Rica is absolutely beautiful and the weather is so nice. I learned so much about the culture and met so many amazing people. I definitely recommend Costa Rica to anyone who loves hiking, outdoor activities, and rice and beans. I went Bungee Jumping and I recommend it when you are abroad. Some locations that I recommend in Costa Rica include: Tamarindo, Puerto Viejo, Pacuare River, Monteverde, Arenal, and Manuel Antonio.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

It sounds like you were able to live the Pura Vida, Elizabeth. Thank you for sharing insights and providing a photo to give the experience color. All the best!

Lindsey

Studying Abroad with CEA

I have nothing but great things to say about CEA! I have been studying abroad in San Jose, Costa Rica for the past three months. The staff at the CEA office are so helpful and really want all of the students to have the best experience possible. Each month we have a cultural immersion activity with allows the students to connect with their host country. I feel so lucky to have been apart of this study abroad organization and am so grateful for all they have done for me!

The program could be improved if the housing was a little closer to the study abroad office!
Megan

CEA San Jose

I loved my experience with this program. One of the classes I took (Revolution, Religion, and Spirituality in Latin America at Veritas Universidad) changed my life in so many ways. My Tropical Marine Biology class was like nothing else I could have taken in the states; we actually went out and did field work in the ocean a couple of times.
Living in the homestay was also amazing. It helped further my cultural understanding and my language skills, and my mamatica was so helpful when I got sick.
The country is also so beautiful, and there's something for everybody. From beaches to mountains, volcanos to waterfalls, there's no shortage of adventure in Costa Rica.

Carli

Best 4 Months of my Life!!!

I jumped into my study abroad program having done little to no research about most things, so I was nervous of course. I was wondering what I had gotten myself into, but it turns out I found that I had gotten myself into the best opportunity and time of my life. I honestly would not change one thing from my experience! Going through CEA was the best decision I could have made, and Costa Rica is now forever a second home to me! I had a wonderful host mom, roommate, and I got to meet amazing people and create friendships that will definitely last a lifetime. All in all, I think that this is the perfect study abroad experience.

Symone

The Best Decision of a Lifetime

This by far was the most amazing, eye opening, soul finding experience of my life. I made some of the most amazing friends and an entire new group of people that i call family. The country was absolutely stunning and there was never a dull moment. The Program CEA was beyond accommodating. The staff was always helpful and assisted with anything that was ever needed. Some times they would even go out of their way to show you how enjoyable cultural activities could be in the area!

N/A
Kendall

CEA is the way to go!

The CEA Costa Rica team is AWESOME! Seriously the best! Leo and Maggie are super helpful and always available! They really care about each student and make sure you're doing okay! Anytime I needed help finding a bus, going on a weekend excursion, or anything they were always so helpful! If you want to learn Spanish and go on amazing excursion then go with CEA in San Jose! I would recommend this program to everyone!

Ray

CEA Costa Rica

This country is simply amazing! Before coming here I looked at going to South America to places like Argentina but, I took a risk and decided on Costa Rica. I can honestly say that it was the best decision of my life! I am now reaping all of the majestic benefits of that risk. The culture is so relaxed and focused on living every day like it may be your last, and thinking of yes before automatically saying no. They are so humble and willing to open up about their lives and country, with lots of stories to tell. Lots of beaches to visit, culturally rich Caribbean side (I place you MUST visit), but also had places like ASOPROLA a community that is sustainable and ecologically friendly. All in all, it is a place everyone must visit in their life, and definitely a place to go study abroad! Follow your gut and go somewhere that has the whole package of an experience abroad.