• Denmark
Term
African Studies African-American Studies Agriculture Arts Astronomy Biology Communications Conflict Studies Ecology Education English European Studies Food Science and Nutrition Geography Global Studies History Hospitality Humanities Journalism Life Sciences Literature Mathematics Natural Sciences Peace Studies Physics Political Science Psychology Public Relations Social Sciences Sociology Sustainable Development Women's Studies +22

Program Details

Direct Enrollment
Dormitory

Pricing

$1,100 USD
The enrollment fee is 1000 euros. To cover the program costs students join the saving-up team. It means that to cover for example Africa trip costs students join the saving-up team and reach their goal by working in a university provided job or elsewhere. All students share a common budget and everybody receives pocket money each month.
What's Included
Accommodation Classes Meals Travel Insurance Wifi
Sep 19, 2019
Oct 02, 2021

DNS Teacher Training College located in Denmark is a leading school training future educational activists, conscious citizens of the world, another kind of teachers, and is walking this path since it opened its doors in 1972. Here we work with such ideas like equity, diversity, creativity, peace, and sustainability. Students are engaged to question, to participate and, to increase their potential. The main teaching method is called learning by doing. Our curriculum is very diverse, and include such subjects as: history of the world, pedagogy, social sciences, languages, epistemology, horticulture, sustainability, African continent, poverty, political science, arts, etc.

Just a lil' nerd
Fernanda

Starting The Program: The First Experience

After having lived in Tvind for almost a year, I think I can say with confidence that this place is a great place to visit & learn more about. Do I recommend it ? Absolutely. It's a great place to test your boundaries, to push yourself to become the person you want to be, & to be the change you want to see in the world. It's only been a month since I've started the official program, but already, even with just the saving up pre-course ( a pre program where DNS helps you find work in order to gather money to use throughout the travels & the program ), I've already learned & been through more experiences than I have in the last couple years. Heck, they're experience & events I probably would've never had a chance to learn or do on my own, but could only do here, with teammates that support me & with a community that is as excited for the events as me. It's a thing I'm grateful for, & I'm so excited to see what else I can learn or what other experiences I can gain. Not to mention that it's so nice to be able to study in a campus surrounded by nature, to be able to look out the window and see a vast scenery of green <3

Does this program work for everyone ? It depends on you. It's a demanding program where you have to manage your studies & experiences while living as part of a community-- when they say that it's a lifestyle, they mean it. You have to be able to manage your time, & to be flexible, because every day is different & things could change just like that... so there's no doubt that for some people it might be too much. But if you're able to do these things, then there's no doubt in my mind that you'll find this program to be an incomparable experience.

Even if you feel like the program might be too much for you, or you are undecided about whether to join or not, or are simply just looking for chances for the sake of looking for them-- I still very much recommend coming to check the place out. Not only is the campus extremely beautiful, and a very scenic place to visit, but it also holds a lot of historical value. You could come check out the windmill, to surround yourself with nature, while having a chance to talk to us face to face, for no amount of well-written reviews can do this place justice as seeing it in person does.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have joined earlier. For sure. I joined my team in December, when the saving up pre-course started in September. There's no real penalty for coming late to the saving up, but it's very much recommended to do so ! I constantly hear stories from my teammates of how it was like when they first started, & it really makes me sad I didn't join earlier-- if only to just meet my team earlier than I actually did in order to spend more time with them in general ( even if I'm going to spend the next four years with them too, it feels like it's not enough time <3 )
Lukrecija

My experience so far

I've started the program a month ago. Now as we are getting more and more into the studies my excitement just keeps growing. I never before experienced studying together with a team, where we can support and teach each other. Another exciting thing about studies is that we choose how we want to learn. Even today we were brainstorming ideas of what kind of alternative studying methods (documentaries, games, museums) we would like to try besides just doing the written study tasks. For the first time in my life, I approached studying by 'what I want to do' and not by 'what I have to do'

Don't be afraid and never say no to any experience. You would be surprised at how much you can learn. And learn danish!
1 person found this review helpful.
Beatrice

After five months in DNS: checkpoint!

Expectations don't always meet reality... luckily! I had to let go of many aspects I expected about DNS and about myself living in a community. I am facing many more challenges than I thought I would and I am learning on a great variety of levels and directions. For example, I didn't know I could be such a good facilitator among group dynamics and at the same time struggle to open up myself to others. DNS is not only a university of pedagogy, it's a school for Life! The people I live with - who come from a great variety of places and backgrounds - are sincere mirrors of the different shades of me, and recognizing myself is not an easy task. I find that the program I'm building together with the other students and the teachers is a powerful fuel for my soul: I still get amazed by the number of things I get to do in just one week, by the power of community, and by the ways in which I'm developing myself. I'm curious to see who I'm going to be at the end of this four-year program.

I want to improve the way we make decisions altogether. Once a week we gather to make decisions in the matter of how we run our school on a social and practical level. The theory behind decision making is the democracy of consensus, but what often happens is that shy people don't have the chance to express themselves or that disagreement come up afterward. So, my plan is to experiment with other ways of decision making and gain tools to make a change, to have common discussions in a more inclusive environment.
Laura

Perspectives from a fresh graduate

I've just graduated from DNS college, and I couldn't feel more grateful and fulfilled for all the experiences and perspectives this journey has brought to me, as an individual, as a teacher and as a citizen.

I find it to be a powerful education that invites the students to undergo very different and intense experiences that one is used to, coming from a conventional education background. The student, as a future teacher, after experiencing and studying such profoundly different models of learning has a much more rich, capable and creative backpack to bring with oneself, as a teacher as a social agent of change and empowerment.
To do so, at DNS we constantly engage with a wide range of necessary dialectics such as: global/local, theory/practice, knowledge/experience, individual/collective, teaching/learning and conception/action.
The interdisciplinary approach of DNS studies, together with the constant dialectics between global and local dynamics, for example, met through active, intellectual and physical investigations, such as by travelling, are one of the many elements that enables us, the students, to have a much more complete, critical and integral study of a certain reality, such as the study of the political dynamics, educational practices, welfare system or agricultural policies of a certain region.
Besides, it's not just the object of study that is aimed to be seen integrally. This Pedagogy aims to design spaces for the students to develop holistically. Meaning that it counter-acts on the supremacy and exclusivity of the development of the rational part of humans. On the other hand, it sheds the light, values and stimulates the learning and development of the student in its various spheres of existence, such as the practical, emotional, social and creative.
And this program-centered education has much more in its sleeve!
Each year's class of students operate as a collective and therefore are named as "teams". Where the teacher takes part as a participant, but mostly as a facilitator of the team's learning processes through out the study program's frames.
In these circles, each and everyone of the students have the space to actively participate in the unfolding of their own education. This freedom sheds the light to its long-living partner: responsibility. This individual and common responsibility to be the driving forces of one's educational journey leads the students to experience a shared ownership over their studying and living. For me, this one of the strongest emancipating forces that makes us see, think and feel on how much of actors of our lives, of our world we CAN be. And how much is necessary we take that responsibility strongly, and stop being mere spectators of the world's unfoldings.

In the end, DNS makes you go through a much revealing revolution, both at the personal and collective level. And leaves profoundly marked on you how much we CAN and MUST do, as humans, teachers and citizens to collective and actively shape our futures into a more just, sustainable, peaceful and liberating world for all.

You sow what you seed.
The more you put yourself in it, the more you get involved, the more you will learn and take something from it!
So be corageous, be critical, be loving and trust, to give and take the most!
It's soooo worthy! :D
Xenia

Great Start

I have only enrolled a few months ago but I feel that I have already learned so much. Right now I have joined the Saving Up period and I am working with some of my team mates in Tvind Campus's Care Home.

Why did I join DNS? :D
I have a unsaciable hunger for knowledge and a huge appetite of sharing it. I want to share the feeling of getting "mindblown" with everyone, so I might aswell be a teacher. I question what I do in life all the time, like any critical thinker; so when I think "How can I have the best positive impact possible in this world full of crisis?" the best answer so far has been to take part in the urgent need to reform our education system. I know I will have the most amazing 4 years of my life here. I expect to grow a lot as a person and to be prepared to anything life throws at me when I graduate. Wether or not I will be a teacher, this program prepares me for LIFE.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
After travelling around by myself for a year I realised that my favourite part of travelling is the people that I meet. Those magical spontaenious encounters with other travellers and local people who inspire me so much is what I thrive for. This place is like a magnet for these AMAZING people. Never in my life have I been around so many kindred spirits like here. Even during big events, just meeting the volunteers that come here for only a few days already fills my heart with joy.
Dona

Another kind of Education

Although I've been here for not full 2 years, DNS has already influenced me on so many levels and has been part of some biggest changes in my personality and perspective upon the world and society. It really is another kind of education; where you are treated differently, constantly challenged and taught to think critically and outside of the box. This school is placed in the community, so as such I have an opportunity to live a life where I am not just an individual focused on myself, but whatever I do I contribute to bigger good and others benefit from it as well. It is unexplainable how it feels like to be able to study about the world, learn from it and work together with many people for the same goal. If you are sick and tired of casual schooling system where your voice and opinion don't matter, you want to learn how to become an active citizen and have bigger knowledge about the world, DNS is a place for you!

We need more people! There are so many things to be done and we want to achieve a lot, but we cannot if we don't have people to do.
Jenifer

Another kind of teacher

DNS is a necessary teacher training college for the people, who are interested to learn about the World through traveling, experiencing, investigating. Who believes that there is something better to learn for.
Besides the travel, the amazing experiences, the studies there is the aspect of the community, the team, which you are closely working, studying and living. From my point of view this is one of the uniqueness of this education, where you get together with people who you are going to share 4 years of your life. In the team not just studies, daily life, but also decisions, sometimes struggles are shared, because it is like a body, which moves together and if a part is not functioning then we all have to fix it in order to move forward.

When I started DNS I was 21, with no experience of living in such a community and moreover I never experienced to have a group of people, who I have to get to know closely, to study together and share my everyday life. In the beginning it was difficult to imagine how a TEAM supposed to work, how do we share and take decisions together. For example through the travel of Africa, which route we should take, or before European reality to decide which is the city where we would like to live for 6 months, or even which subject do we want to study and how do we want to do it as a TEAM.
To be honest there were ups and downs, but what I really can say that we learn; every individual matters and that we are going for the same goal, to bring something new to this World. It might sounds abstract, but in the end every one of us makes a difference.

Everyone matters and can make difference, it's up to you!!

I would more like to let more people know how amazing it is!

To have more people here and share with more person this education program!
Evans

Authenticity and Critical Thinking

In DNS, my whole life literally changed. I came with a big excitement for this opportunity of alternative learning. Meeting the students left me only with a definite, positive decision about joining. They were all so unique, so different and yet they all had the same wish: to change themselves and the world around them.

And so i joined. I had lots of struggles, i felt challenged on all levels: physically, emotionally, and mentally. I had the opportunity to learn by working in all kinds of works, something that i would never expect. It make me a much more confident and capable person in creating things with my hands, feeling deeply with my heart, and producing world changing thoughts and considerations with my mind.

I still have a long way to go(been to Africa already) and i know that day by day i will get more critical, political, empathetic and passionate activist and world citizen. But most important than everything, DNS helped me find my own voice among a crowd of unique, authentic individuals.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Each and every moment, i realized i could improve myself and how. I felt each of them really strong, but i managed to overcome them with the love and demand i receive from my teammates and their valuable feedback. We all live and study together, and we sometimes get to know each other as much as ourselves.