DNS Necessary Teacher Training College

Be healthy!
Alternative teacher training programe
Alternative teacher training programe
dns
Tvind College from above. This is where Necessary teacher training college is based
learning by traveling
learning by traveling

DNS Teacher Training College located in Denmark is a leading school training future educational activists, conscious citizens of the world, another kind of teachers, and is walking this path since it opened its doors in 1972. Here we work with such ideas like equity, diversity, creativity, peace, and sustainability. Students are engaged to question, to participate and, to increase their potential. The main teaching method is called learning by doing. Our curriculum is very diverse, and include such subjects as: history of the world, pedagogy, social sciences, languages, epistemology, horticulture, sustainability, African continent, poverty, political science, arts, etc.

• democratic learning

Uh oh, we couldn't find the answer either! But that's a great question. Click here to contact the program directly: https://www.dns-tvind.dk/contact-us/

Dona

Another kind of Education

Although I've been here for not full 2 years, DNS has already influenced me on so many levels and has been part of some biggest changes in my personality and perspective upon the world and society. It really is another kind of education; where you are treated differently, constantly challenged and taught to think critically and outside of the box. This school is placed in the community, so as such I have an opportunity to live a life where I am not just an individual focused on myself, but whatever I do I contribute to bigger good and others benefit from it as well. It is unexplainable how it feels like to be able to study about the world, learn from it and work together with many people for the same goal. If you are sick and tired of casual schooling system where your voice and opinion don't matter, you want to learn how to become an active citizen and have bigger knowledge about the world, DNS is a place for you!

We need more people! There are so many things to be done and we want to achieve a lot, but we cannot if we don't have people to do.
Jenifer

Another kind of teacher

DNS is a necessary teacher training college for the people, who are interested to learn about the World through traveling, experiencing, investigating. Who believes that there is something better to learn for.
Besides the travel, the amazing experiences, the studies there is the aspect of the community, the team, which you are closely working, studying and living. From my point of view this is one of the uniqueness of this education, where you get together with people who you are going to share 4 years of your life. In the team not just studies, daily life, but also decisions, sometimes struggles are shared, because it is like a body, which moves together and if a part is not functioning then we all have to fix it in order to move forward.

When I started DNS I was 21, with no experience of living in such a community and moreover I never experienced to have a group of people, who I have to get to know closely, to study together and share my everyday life. In the beginning it was difficult to imagine how a TEAM supposed to work, how do we share and take decisions together. For example through the travel of Africa, which route we should take, or before European reality to decide which is the city where we would like to live for 6 months, or even which subject do we want to study and how do we want to do it as a TEAM.
To be honest there were ups and downs, but what I really can say that we learn; every individual matters and that we are going for the same goal, to bring something new to this World. It might sounds abstract, but in the end every one of us makes a difference.

Everyone matters and can make difference, it's up to you!!

I would more like to let more people know how amazing it is!

To have more people here and share with more person this education program!
Evans

Authenticity and Critical Thinking

In DNS, my whole life literally changed. I came with a big excitement for this opportunity of alternative learning. Meeting the students left me only with a definite, positive decision about joining. They were all so unique, so different and yet they all had the same wish: to change themselves and the world around them.

And so i joined. I had lots of struggles, i felt challenged on all levels: physically, emotionally, and mentally. I had the opportunity to learn by working in all kinds of works, something that i would never expect. It make me a much more confident and capable person in creating things with my hands, feeling deeply with my heart, and producing world changing thoughts and considerations with my mind.

I still have a long way to go(been to Africa already) and i know that day by day i will get more critical, political, empathetic and passionate activist and world citizen. But most important than everything, DNS helped me find my own voice among a crowd of unique, authentic individuals.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Each and every moment, i realized i could improve myself and how. I felt each of them really strong, but i managed to overcome them with the love and demand i receive from my teammates and their valuable feedback. We all live and study together, and we sometimes get to know each other as much as ourselves.
Noémi

Could I have expected so much?

I arrived to this diverse community only a month ago, but already had so many possibilities to take part in different activities such as a variety of sports, singing around the bonfire, having late evening chats with a cup of tea, go for jogging or doing yoga by the nearby fishing lake in the precious sunshine, or painting. I not only participated in a welcoming challange-journey with my team, but also organised a big olympic event for students with special needs, which gave light to my purpose of being here, being active and dedicated to this sustainable lifestyle.
You might be wondering how so many different personalities can match their own wishes, thoughts and approches. It is all about wanting to understand. We were not created, or pulled together, we wanted to be together, it is not a forced community, it formed itself naturally by giving credit to former DNS-ers' desires and beliefs.
"Big words. Small gestures. And tiny details.
-What is it about?
- Must be community..."

I would give more help at the beginning to find one's role in the community easier, because it can be really demanding and challanging as you start the program, but also now I see, that it's all about learning by doing. You have never tried to fit in such a unique and intense sommunity life, well here you have the chance to give it a go, and get experienced in it, how you can build up your own role and contribution in this miniature society, in the way you want to live it, the way you want to benefit from it.
I would appraciate to have more bathrooms in the buildings, since it can happen (not too often but still when it does, it's quite uncomfortable) that both of the toilets are occupied.
It would be great to have a chef, but as I saw this is on the way to have a solution. (still, if anybody is interested in it, just contact school, it is an awesome opportunity to have a reform kitchen)
I would also write on the doors of the buildings, where students have accomodations, or agree with the communitiy, that after 22 pm is not very advicable to talk and lough loudly on the common corridor, because it does disturb sometimes.
But all in all, I believe everything can have a solution, it's just the matter of communication and "correct attitude" :)
- which I think the people practice here a lot

Matei

My own experience/experiența mea

First I will write in English and then in Romanian. For me this place is an open space and also a good start in life. It is open space because you can take easily initiative to make something fun as sports and people will help you to achieve your initiative. It is for me a good start in life because now days I think in the normal sistem that we have today divides people and here you can be a part of a great comunity. I like the accomodation. The food is great.
What I like is that I can be part of an active community that fights for the world and for the people in it. Also the community is very supportive.

Cum aș putea pune mai bine in cuvinte care este experiența mea in DNS?

Sunt de părere că și român că ce se întâmplă aici poate fi foarte nou pentru noi și că oamenii sunt foarte deschiși. Este foarte nou pentru că stilul de viață este foarte sănătos și sistematizat Intr un fel. Aproape totul este făcut organizat și primești ajutor din partea a multor oameni de aici. Cred că am putea să implementăm în viața noastră ce fac ei aici, mai ales că interacțiunile dintre oameni sunt bazate pe încredere și asta este foarte diferit. Cat timp faci ceea ce spui, ești civilizat și liber iar în același timp îți faci treaba nu ar trebui să ai probleme stand aici. Sper că programul DNS să vă ofere poate o noua perspectivă despre cum ar trebui să fie viața și despre problemele actuale în societate și nu numai.

Jenifer

Be another kind of teacher

DNS teacher training college is a unique program. It promots everything what I find important in an education. It gives an opportunity to study in an alternative way about pedagogy. Connect people with the world and at the same time present freedom to be yourself. Here matters who you are and who you want to be.

DNS promotes healthy lifestyle by growing own garden, what later on use for cooking. The other way is the sport. Generally DNS have sport evenings, BUT certain times we organize sport events for example Olimpic games.

Come and be another kind of teacher! ; - )

Honza

Alternative progressive community - WORTH OF VISITING!

Eat what you pick! Experience living in the community! Join political discussions! Study, Volunteer and Travel in the SAME TIME!
The campus is situated on the west coast of Denmark surrounded by the beautiful nature. The residents of this place are very friendly, supportive and open-minded. I have always received help when I needed. I would never believe I could find the place like this.

Rami

A School of Life

The DNS 3 year programme, is more than just an education. My father often calls it a school of life. Where else would :
- you learn how to transform a bus into a house on wheels?
- you go off from Denmark to Guinea Bissau, for a 4 months travel in a 28 year old bus?
- you hitchhike all around Europe to give presentations about your breathtaking travel?
- you learn how to build a house?
- you would live in a community with people from different countries?
- you would learn about garden farming?
- you would move to an European city with your classmates to be an active part of the society and learn from it?
- you would travel for 3 months and fulfill a project that you have always dreamed of?
- you would have an amazing 8 months teaching practice with the possibility to experiment?
....
And this is just a little part of what you can learn in DNS, besides the academical studies.
DNS education will make out of you "another kind of person", somebody lively, open minded, full of ideas and initiatives, a wonderful teacher and a very brave human being!

DNS - is a School of Life

Egle

Education for Democracy

I’m here because I think that education is the tool for creating better world for all of us. I think the aim of education is to educate tolerant, open minded and responsible world citizens. For myself as a teacher I set demand to create for my students conditions that they would discover these values by themselves.

I’m part of DNS The Necessary Teacher Training College since 2012. I came to this teacher training college because I had a dream to become a teacher. I wanted to learn how to share knowledge and experiences that I have with others. But I discovered that to be DNS teacher is much more - it becomes your lifestyle.
I think to be DNS team teacher is one of the most beautiful, encouraging and the most demanding, challenging job you could have. I find myself in extraordinary interesting situations. For instance, having team meetings till late night, fixing the bus together with students somewhere in Western Sahara, driving the bus, cooking, working in the garden, organizing events, giving courses, going together with students for investigations, traveling around Europe and giving presentations, learning how to be together.

Elora

More than a teacher training

Challenging, challenging, challenging; but all the challenges are learning points. It's not simply a training to become teachers but it develops stronger, open minded and lively people. I joined the program straight after high school and I am extremely glad I did so. Here I am, in fact, enriching myself in many different aspects each day. I got the space and support for improvements , for failures, for utter learning.

Ermes

Togheter we can

DNS is an unique education, a programme which push your limits and pull you out of your confort zone. A place for people who want to take actions and cooperate together in order to make the world a better place. Travelling, studying, working, experiences, community life, and peace. I'm very greatfull i took the desicion to join it and day by day i'm learning something new and i'm challenged by the programme. I wish for all the people to try this amazing life changing experience.

X

A very tough, emotionally draining program

A lot of people quit the program during the 6-12 month 'saving up' period where you work (often at the school) before the program starts. I was one of those people who quit before it started after spending about half a year there.
I like the idea of the place and the people, there are many many good happenings. It is inspiring for sure.
The reasons I quit,
It was too hard work. During the program you have no days off. Your up and at breakfast every morning, cleaning and doing other tasks before your day starts.
You only get about two weeks off a year, for three-four whole years.
You can get 'cabin fever' here. It's a small isolated place with no easy transport options
There seems to be the idea that the students make decisions but actually after some time it felt that the teachers made the decisions. I felt very powerless actually, which is not the idea.
Another thing I didn't like was having to work in promoting the program. I didn't like to say 'this program is great, you should do it' when actually I hadn't started it yet.
Also, when I decided to quit I noticed things that made me glad about my decision. The people there were not interested in my reasons for leaving, even though probably 50-75% of people quit, they don't seem to want to listen to these people and change in any way. Actually in the few days before my travel home some teachers and students stopped talking to me altogether, it was very cold. One teacher only said one thing to me in the whole time, which was knocking on my door to ask why I wasn't helping with cleaning. Many people did not say goodbye. It's a small thing but it made me realise this place is like, your either 'in' or 'out'. And once your out people change and you realise it's almost cult-like.
The most thing I missed when I left was the wonderful people I met. I you want to have a very crazy very demanding very unusual experience where you will learn a lot, go here.

Karolina

Place where everything can happen

One of the best choices of my life for now. Challenging, exausting, mind-blowing, sometimes overwhelming, but totally worth it.
It is another kind of college, where you together with your team create an education for yourself. It depends basically on you how will you make it happen. You're all the time pushed think outside the box and have an overview of the bigger picture. You're pushed to question, investigate and look for alternative solutions.
In short words, it's a place where critical, mindfull and creative human beings blossom.

Only disatvantage - too little beautiful souls to fullfil such a great wishes.
Piotr

Best choice of my life

Starting and finishing this education was the best choice of my life.

It was an extremely active time!
Theoretical knowledge is of a little use if it abstracts from reality, so I was happy to investigate and do stuff. Here, I have learned how to travel, and travelled to learn in Africa, India, Europe, wherever. It had nothing to do with tourism and it was much more fun.

I got awareness about the complexity of our world and its unfairness. I also gained tools how to take a stand towards it and act upon.

What’s the best way of becoming a teacher than being a teacher? Here, I was one from Day 1 for the most vulnerable like youngsters with special needs as well as for my teammates. And there are no teachers just standing there and making monologues. They rather create conditions for us to learn, which is provoking, which is good.

Actually, many things are provoking here. For example, the students and teachers together govern and run the school. Actually, we decided in common about how we implemented the programme but also quite trivial matters: should we have only vegetarian food for breakfast? Often it was too much, really, too many meetings. But, what I liked was that every once in a while we completely changed how we managed things. And, we decided to build a chicken house!

Teachers are constantly there, 24/7, live together with us. They didn’t just teach but also supported me, which is quite important for a young person away from home with no income. At the same time, they challenged me a lot! They also do humble work: cleaning, cooking, fixing stuff etc. Well, it’s not that I appreciated all of it at that time. :)

It is a hard work to be here, intensive physically and socially… on the other hand, my needs and many wants are part of the programme.

There are no drugs and no alcohol, which I appreciate a lot. The parties and relationships have content and it is possible to do so much more!

I finished my education with no debts. Saving-up periods, teaching practice and common economy are not only to learn from but solve many economic issues. Anyway, it didn’t cover all the expenses, but the college solved it by running the care homes that could generate some income.

An interesting thing: each team has its own account and is responsible for how to earn money and how to spend it. Thanks to that, there was not so much division for rich and poor as elsewhere.

When you finish, you have a bachelor degree – sometimes it gets recognised, sometimes it doesn’t. Well, if having a good paper is very important for you, don’t join this college. If you want to learn a lot, go on.

But don’t get fooled: all the above doesn’t just come! YOU are responsible for all that and YOU have to create it with your hard work. But, I think it is worth it!

Ex
No, I don't recommend this program

Think twice before joining this college. Great concept, but but in reality a very moderate school.

DNS Necessary Teacher Training College sounds and looks like a wonderful education with great concepts and ideas.

I have spent some time at this college and I will tell you why it is not all as great as it seems.

First of all, DNS is a very small private college. A lot of people have joined the college over the past years, but not many have actually finished the program. I estimate about 60 percent of the students who did enroll in the past 5 years quit within the first year. There are many reasons why people quit. I believe it has something to do with some of the following facts.

The quality of the education is very poor. The teachers are students who have completed the program before and are often occupied with other tasks besides teaching. They give the impression that the students have a lot of influence on the program. The reality is that the teachers decide everything.

Another disadvantage of DNS is that the degree is not recognized by the Danish government. The bachelor degree is from a cooperating university in Mozambique. That means all the oral exams are with teachers from this university through Skype. When you want to work at a school in Western countries, you will have to do an additional education depending on your level.

In DNS people have very little privacy and time for themselves. You are expected to work/study during the weekends and evenings. There are many events and meetings you have to attend. There are also a lot of side projects going on all the time. They call it 'managing the school''. There's often work to be done which has nothing to do with the education you paid for. When you would have a day off, you are still in the community, 4 kilometers from the nearest village. You can't use a car for private stuff and there is not much to do within biking distance. Normally, you are allowed to have a vacation of 12 days, two times a year. The traveling time is included in these 12 days.

DNS has a unique way to fund their college. Students have to save up the school fees before and during the program with jobs provided by DNS and connected organizations. These jobs do not meet the Danish standards. Often students are getting underpaid. They work way too many hours. And they do work they are not qualified for such as working with mentally disabled people and people with psychological problems. Students are sometimes exposed to aggressive people and situations who require educated pedagogues.

DNS students have a common economy. All the money earned by students goes to an account controlled by the teachers. There is little to no insight into how this money is used. Students get a very small amount of pocket money each month.

DNS is an essential part of Tvind, a confederation of private schools, humanitarian organizations, and businesses. Tvind is very infamous in Denmark. A lot of different media have done research or have been reporting about Tvind. Before joining DNS, you should be aware of what kind of organization you are dealing with.

In my opinion, these are the facts you should know about DNS if you consider joining this college.

Alumni Interviews

About Teacher training college

DNS Teacher Training College situated in Denmark offers a unique 4 year program which includes: - a 4 month trip in Africa with a bus, - doing researches, - living in a community sharing a common budget, - studying poverty, history, education,...