Study Abroad at Harlaxton College in the UK

Beautiful Harlaxton Manor
Beautiful Harlaxton Manor
Personal day trip to London, UK (watching the Tower Bridge open)
Field trip to Lincoln, UK for the British studies class (first month of class)
personal day trip to London, UK (visiting the museum with friends)

For over forty years, the students and faculty of the University of Evansville have had a second home in the United Kingdom, at Harlaxton College.

Imagine studying in a 100-room Victorian manor house in the rolling English countryside one hour north of London. At Harlaxton College, you will do just that! And you'll share the manor with a community of committed faculty, supportive staff, and fellow students from UE and our partner colleges. Your family from home may join you for a few days' visit if they are able; you'll also have the opportunity to make new family ties with members of the local community in Grantham who share in the Harlaxton experience each semester.

• Study in a Victorian Manor House in the Countryside of England
  • Travel widely through the UK and Europe
  • Earn Credit for your degree

18-24ish for students (typical college-age)

Brea

study at harlaxton!

A semester at Harlaxton is a semester well spent. Classes are of high importance and offer a standard of academics that are on-par with a typical university but are only M-Th (only M-W some special weeks!). This means you have almost every weekend to travel either around the British Isles or into mainland Europe! I went not knowing anyone and with no trips planned - I ended up making so many new lifelong friends and traveling to 7 different countries! You also have the opportunity to have a "meet-a-family" which is essentially a host family (except you don't live with them). This offers that host family feel and uniqueness that most programs offer, and your main residence is still in a gorgeous country house FULL of life and history. I highly recommend this program to any university student looking to study abroad during their college years - you won't regret it!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I took a solo trip to Norway during my semester at Harlaxton. All of my friends traveled to different places that weekend together, but I wanted this experience alone. It was terrifying but thrilling! I overcame a lot of the fear my planning my trip really well to avoid unnecessary bumps in the road when I got there, and it worked great! Being a solo female traveler, it also helped to book Airbnbs that were accommodating to that. I always knew that no matter what happened during the day that I would have a safe place to sleep that night.
Olivia

A Life-changing Experience

There was so much I loved about Harlaxton, it's hard to put it all down here. I suppose one thing I enjoyed and valued the most was the Meet-a-Family program. It helped me grow closer to the local community, as well as British culture as a whole. Plus, I made some amazing friendships and bonds with my fellow students and families who were a part of the program! The manor and surrounding grounds are gorgeous, and so much fun to explore and hang around in, no matter the season. The village of Harlaxton itself is also so cozy and quaint, and its people are so nice and friendly. Grantham was also a lovely town, small enough to not overwhelm but big enough to enjoy exploring all the shops and sights, though a word of wisdom to incoming visitors to the manor: don't attempt to walk to Grantham. It's a longer distance than you initially think!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Personal budgeting. You'd be surprised how quickly you can burn through money at the school's vending machines and in the Bistro!
Vincent

Harlaxton Summer 2019

Harlaxton was the best experience a student traveling alone could ask for. I came from my university by myself and although I was nervous, once I arrived and met other people, I had easily acclimated into my new home. So, if you are feeling apprehensive about traveling alone, try not to worry too much about being isolated and struggling to meet people because you will be immersed. The living arrangements were better than my freshman dorms back in the states. The beds were comfortable and the wardrobes very spacious with desks for work needs. There is also a sink in the room which comes in handy for brushing your teeth and other morning rituals. The rooms do not have air conditioning though, and my room had one window, so it can get hot from time to time. The classes taught at Harlaxton are very good and easy going for the most part. You will have to put in some effort, but nothing too strenuous. MAKE SURE TO PARTICIPATE IN YOUR HOUSE COMPETITIONS. This was the best and most exciting times at the manor because you have to work with your teams to overcome challenges to win the house cup (which is the key to Harlaxton manor). This program, especially in the summer, is very fast paced. You arrive and have a full agenda from the early morning until the dead of night. This includes your meals, class, local cultural trips, exploring the manor, meeting up with friends, going to the bistro, packing for weekend trips, going into Grantham, participating in house competitions, etc. You will never find yourself with nothing to do. As for the school trips to Paris, London, etc. I recommend signing up for them if you don't know people ahead of time when traveling abroad. This way you have trips planned in advance and know all your travel arrangements. If you don't, then the friends you meet at Harlaxton might be going on the school trips and you will either have to stay behind those weekends or plan your trip entirely by yourself, which is stressful to say the least. Leaving one weekend open is also good so that when you do meet people you can plan a separate trip as a group if you want. All in all though the trips are fantastic and I highly recommend going on them, you will not be disappointed. Harlaxton and its staff are amazing, making you both at ease and nostalgic when you have to leave. If you like country scenery and taking pictures that make your friends home jealous, Harlaxton is for you.

I would suggest that instead of having one coach at the airport for when students arrive, there should be two. Many students flying over are all coming from different states, and flights are inevitably going to be delayed. Therefore, having two coaches at the airport at two different times (one in the morning and one later in the afternoon), allows all students arriving the chance to get to the manor safely. If you arrived late and missed the coach, like myself, you were stuck trying to find your own mode of transportation to the manor which is 2 hours from Heathrow airport.
Hannah

Absolutely amazing experience

I really don't know where to begin, other than to just say that studying abroad at Harlaxton for a month was an absolutely amazing experience that I will remember for the rest of my life! During the (fast-paced) month, I visited London, York, Cambridge, Wales, and Edinburgh, Scotland (not to mention the local day-trips!). I was able to walk along the Tower Bridge, visit Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, 4 museums in London, Yorkminster, saw a play at the Globe Theatre, had some great food in really old pubs, walked in Penrhyn castle and Beaumaris castle in Wales, did a Puffin Island tour, hiked to Llyn Idwal in Snowdonia, had afternoon tea in Leister, visited Isaac Newton's home, went to Edinburgh castle, shopped on the Royal Mile, did a Ghost Tour in Edinburgh, hiked to Arthur's Seat and saw an amazing view of the city, tried Haggis (it was actually really good.... don't let those sheep lungs fool you lol), and so much more. The manor itself is breathtaking, and I felt like I was living in a castle; I so enjoyed exploring the surrounding grounds, going for bikerides in Harlaxton village, walking through the woods, etc. I came alone to Harlaxton, and as so, was worried at first if I would be able to make friends in such a short period of time.... quite the opposite!... I met so many amazing people during my time there, and made many life-long memories. The program (+ airplane and excursions) is very expensive, but ultimately, I believe it was worth every penny!

Better food; better planning and organization for class trips
Rodney

A Holiday with a Purpose

Have you ever gone somewhere new and then asked yourself what you were doing there or why, how long till you leave, you know, busy mind stuff? You never have these questions when you are at Harlaxton College. You remain up to date with your studies, it is, after all, a school, so no stress about getting left behind by your friends.
Almost all the trips have a purpose either educational or just plain fun. You get to see cathedrals, castles and so much more and in many cases, learn about how they came to be. And, you are emboldened to travel independently to all the countries around you because you know that Harlaxton will be there to catch you at the end of your trips.
It is a beautiful and magical place and the people there are very supportive.

Baleigh

The Best Four Months of my Life

Harlaxton is such a unique experience for everyone that describing it is almost impossible to put into words. I was lucky enough to travel Europe for four months with some of my closest friends, but even better than that I was introduced to people who became my family during my time abroad. The manor is incredible, and the feeling of coming home to it after a weekend away is breathtaking. Because of Harlaxton, I've had the opportunity to travel to 15 different countries and countless cities. I've been able to experience things that many people only dream about. I think about my time abroad all the time and how it helped shape me into the person I am today. I can't wait to take a trip back to the manor!

Response from University of Evansville Study Abroad

Thank you so much for the wonderful thoughts on Harlaxton study abroad. We are so glad that your time abroad with us helped shape you as a person and we can't wait to see how the future unfolds!

Nick

Harlaxton Summer 2018

There's no real way to describe just how immersive and fun this summer session was. The academics were suitably challenging for a 5-week frame and allowed plenty of time for weekend trips across western Europe, trips that were of incredible fiscal and cultural worth due to England's close proximity to the likes of Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, and so many other easily reachable locations. Living in an English manor house never hurt either, as the quarters and overall grounds were absolutely stunning. Overall, I couldn't recommend a place with better history, academics, and people than Harlaxton College.

Maybe lower tuition for a month just a bit, but then again it was worth just about every penny.
Austyn

Life in a Castle

Harlaxton College is an absolute dream... After week one, I was already calling it home. Every bit of the experience was amazing—the manor, the weekend travel trips, & the courses. Making friends here was simple and I am sure they will last a lifetime. This experience also allowed me to learn a lot about myself... I now know I am capable of navigating myself through foreign countries and outgoing enough to spend an extended period of time away from home and my family. I plan to go back as soon as I can!

Response from University of Evansville Study Abroad

Harlaxton always welcomes you back home! We are so happy that your experience was amazing and we are waiting to welcome you back to the Manor and your forever home in England.

Jason

Harlaxton SU18

There’s something magical about Harlaxton. Not only the manor but everything about the program. The house competitions and the people it forced me to meet people I never would have been able to talk to. I loved my time at Harlaxton and I now couldn’t imagine what my life would have been without it. It’s amazing and you’ll love every second. There are going to be times you can’t do anything but homework and papers but those are going to be times worth the experience of living in this beautiful manor.

There could be more organization when it comes to school travel. I also think there could be more defined ways of holding people accountable for things like not going to events or not participating.
Joseph

Harlaxton Summer

Going into the summer my mind was set on one thing, and it was Harlaxton. I heard stories about the manor and staff but I wanted to form my own opinion of the new chapter I was about to embark on. Harlaxton taught me a lot about myself and a lot about life. We got to experience Europe during times of joy and during times of hardship. We got to experience fun social times while still doing schoolwork and furthering our education. Overall Harlaxton brought strangers into my life that are now close friends, it taught me how to travel and enjoy myself, and overall it taught me to go out of my comfort to experience new things. This made my study abroad experience so much more meaningful than I ever imagined.

Kelly

Home Sweet Harlaxton

Words cannot begin to describe the magical, wonderful, life-changing experience that is Harlaxton. Before I left, I was so afraid that I had built up this perfect scenario and that when I got there I'd be left, underwhelmed and disappointed. Rather, I ended up disappointed to how limited my initial expectations were. I know that I sound like one of those students that goes abroad and comes back touting about how they are a different person, but it is so true. Harlaxton is amazing in that it isn't just a study abroad program, but a live abroad person. When you go to England with Harlaxton, you get such a unique experience, one that not only lets you study in a foreign country, but also about the foreign country. With the British Studies course, you get to immerse yourself in all aspects of Great Britain and Ireland, historically, socially, and physically. You get to build lifelong friendships, learn about new cultures, and leave with a second home and a second life.

People say “home is where the heart is,” and according to Dorothy “there’s no place like home”. But what happens when your heart is stuck in two places and given the chance to click your ruby slippers together you don’t actually know where they would take you? I’m so lucky to have two homes- one that raised me, and one that taught me independence, adventure, and how to be me. To quote Harry Potter, “I’m not going home, not really” because I now have two homes… and the ability to make the world my home.

Response from University of Evansville Study Abroad

Harlaxton is your home and we welcome you to come back always. Knowing that the manor is there to welcome you warmly should make clicking those ruby slippers a little easier!

C. M. B.

Harlaxton is a great first-choice for studying abroad

At first I was drawn to this program because of the beauty of Harlaxton manor, but the Harlaxton experience is so much more than a pretty building. Harlaxton College is a great first choice for studying abroad due to its American-style dorms, classes, and being surrounded by other American students. The college offers free local culture trips and even has optional school-planned trips which are great for if you don’t want to deal with the struggles of travel planning. Of course, independent travel is another option and I would recommend you try at least one trip independently planned.

While I felt British Studies is time consuming and demanding, it is worth it because I was able to have a deeper understanding of the places I visited throughout the semester. The British Studies professors are all great and more than willing to help if you need any.

Between House competitions, the bistro, nature trails, and other activities and common rooms available it is nearly impossible to become bored at Harlaxton. Also, I found the food to be pretty good. Vegan, lactose free, and vegetarian options are available if you make it known before you come here. Make sure to be involved in House Competitions as they are really fun and a great way to hang out with different people. Some of my favorite memories at Harlaxton were at the House competitions.

Overall I was very happy with the program and their is very little I would change. Not so much an improvement, but remember that Harlaxton is in a rural area so a train ticket is required to go to London/other cities. Also, I found that it can be harder to make friends here if you come alone or from a lesser-known partner school. Many people who go to Harlaxton come with large groups of close friends from their own university.
Marley

Great for American students!

This school is as the other review states the British campus of UE. The housing is either in the Manor, a little cramp but beautiful, or the carriage house, slightly bigger rooms but still nice (I stayed in the latter).

Most of the shopping is in nearby Grantham and the school provides shuttling there and back all day, if you happen to miss the shuttle, there's usually a taxi service working with Harlaxton to provide slightly cheaper fares. Grantham has a farmers market every weekend that is very pleasant to walk through. It's only a cheap 2 hour train ride to London.

The surrounding grounds are also beautiful and have a great history, the area served many important uses during WWI as practice trenches and an airfield nearby.

The school does offer trips organized by them for easy less stressful traveling or you can make new friends and strike out on your own. They have a travel office open to everyone to help with making plans.

More chances to engage with the community, or another nearby British college where we meet British students.
Audrey

Harlaxton College- Live in a Manor

Harlaxton College is a wonderful experience. It is based in an old English manor house that is owned by the University of Evansville as the British campus. Although all the students are from the United States, most of the faculty and staff are native born Brits. A few professors from the feeder schools in the US and their families move over for the duration of the program. Students have the opportunity to live in the manor house and the carriage house.

Students attend classes Monday through Thursday. The classes range from classes they could take at home or classes they could only attend in Great Britain. All the students take the British studies (history) class taught by the British professors. There are evaluated field trips throughout the time that relate to topics learned during this class. Although the academic side can be difficult, the professors are always there to support the students and help them succeed.

The weekends are for the students to travel. Most students tend to travel around Europe. However, you can have plenty of fun simply traveling around England. The faculty and staff are always helpful and have tips for locations of interests, places to visit, and general safety.

The surrounding towns of Harlaxton and Grantham are full of caring people who want to help the students and show them the lifestyle of the english people. The countryside is beautiful and full of life.

I wish the program was open to students from other countries besides schools in the US.