Study Abroad in Budapest, Hungary: Semester or Academic Year

Spend a semester or academic year in Budapest, Hungary with AIFS! Earn up to 12 credits per semester studying abroad at Corvinus University of Budapest. Courses are taught in English.

Make a positive impact on the local community through volunteer work! In the spring semester, students will assist children and new mothers from Budapest Roma communities. In the fall, students will focus on renovation tasks in a Roma community.

You’ll live in double-room student apartments. All students will receive a meal allowance to subsidize the cost of meals and groceries.

Exciting cultural and social activities include:
• Walking tours of the city
• Music concerts and ballet performances
• Boat trips along the Danube
• A day trip to Szentendre
• 3-day trip to Vienna, Austria
• 2-day Lake Balaton and Wine Country tour.
A 3-day trip to Prague, Czech Republic, is also available as an optional excursion. The optional AIFS Flight Package includes a 2-night tour of London.

• 2 day tour of Lake Balaton and Wine Country.
  • 3 day trip to Vienna, Austria.
  • Earn up to 12 credits and transcript issued by Corvinus University.
  • Housing in a student apartment with meal allowance and transportation pass
  • Boat trip along the Danube River

Abigail

BudaBEST Experience

AIFS made my semester abroad incredible. I had never left the country before but felt totally comfortable with the on-site and remote support. We went on great excursions and had incredible experiences around the city. Our resident director was a perfect tour guide and had amazing connections in the other cities that we visited so we always got an authentic, local experience. My classes were a super interesting look at local business practices taught by foreign teachers with experience all over the world. Learning with international and local students brought perspectives to learning I had never before experienced. I would go back in a second and wish I was still there!

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment of was the first time we went out as a program trying to figure out the currency exchange. We kept calling the money Monopoly money because it didn’t seem real. Eventually we learned and budgeted but it was a fun transition the first few weeks.
Natalie

Best Decision of My Life!!

I absolutely loved studying abroad in Budapest. My family is from Hungary so having a chance to connect with my heritage on this level was the greatest opportunity of my life. I completely fell in love with the city. I know it's cheesy to say study abroad changed my life, but it really did. It completely changed my career path and helped me learn more about myself and what I want out of life. My program was great! I loved the university and the classes I took, the housing situation was great and our resident director was fantastic! She was always there to help whenever we needed it. All the planned trips through the program were great (the optional trip to Prague was my favorite!) and so were all the little activities planned for us in the city. I also did the AIFS flight that included the London stopover which was really cool since I'd never been to London before. I lived with two other Americans in the AIFS program in a nice apartment that was really centrally located and about an 8 minute walk to the school. My experience with AIFS was really good overall and I'm really glad they gave me the opportunity to study abroad in my dream city. My only regret is that I didn't study abroad for the full year because a semester was not nearly long enough. If I were to go abroad again, I would absolutely go through AIFS (and I'm actually thinking about doing so this summer)!

Engage with the culture! So much of the beauty of Budapest is overlooked by people who don't want to dive past the surface of this amazing city. Explore areas outside of the city center and other cities in Hungary. Also try learning a little Hungarian! Knowing even a few phrases can go a long way. There's so much beauty and history to this incredible city so spend time getting to know it. There's also way more to Hungarian cuisine than goulash (and real Hungarian hardly even eat goulash anyway).
Katie

Why AIFS

I always knew that I wanted to study abroad and after much research and comparisons I came to the conclusion that the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) is who I wanted to study abroad with in Budapest, Hungary. This was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Everything went very smoothly when applying and getting accepted into the program. Pre-departure instructions were clear and someone was always readily available to answer questions that I had about the Visa process. Once I arrived to Hungary, the onsite AIFS staff member (Deniz) was so incredibly helpful to acclimating us to our new apartment and culture and provided us with her email and phone number so that we knew she was always readily available should we need her. The apartment provided through the AIFS program was so nice, comfortable and centrally located. When speaking with students from other programs, there were many complaints about how they had to stay in dorms or far from campus. I'm very grateful that with AIFS we had a spacious and perfectly located apartment. The classes offered by AIFS through Corvinus University were very educational and all in English. AIFS also requires that you take a Hungarian Language class which helps tremendously when getting accustomed to Hungary and communicating with locals. AIFS coordinated multiple excursions (to places like the countryside of Hungary and Vienna, Austria) these were included in the cost of the program and were so fun and interesting! Across all areas of my experience studying abroad, AIFS made sure that I always had the information I needed and that my experiences would be memorable.

Since Budapest is so centrally located, take advantage of the ability to travel to other countries as much as possible. Plane tickets from Budapest to other places are generally pretty affordable if you plan ahead!