Arcadia University - National University of Ireland Galway

Arcadia University - National University of Ireland Galway

The vibrant heritage of the Galway, known as the Cultural Capital of Ireland, will be a unique and impressive part of your academic and social experience at NUI, Galway. With bookstores, music and theatre, pubs, shops, and cafes, Galway offers a treasure trove of lively history and culture. Classes are taught in English, but, the university maintains a strong commitment to the Irish language which you'll hear spoken on campus and throughout the local area.

Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Excursions may include: Dublin Food Trail, Riverdance, and Cliffs of Moher.

Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories. With Arcadia, you can: Enjoy academic success, explore a new world, get to know yourself, rely on us for support, and boost your resume

Europe » Ireland » Galway
Social Sciences
Sociology
Women's Studies
Zoology and Wildlife Sciences
See website for details. Scholarships available!

Michelle
Burlington, Vermont
University of Vermont

Galway is the best city in the world

My favorite things about Galway were Shop Street and all of the buskers there, the Spanish Arch (Sparch), the farmer's market every weekend, Boojum, and the fact that my little apartment felt like home by about a month in. I traveled around Europe on the weekends and one of the best feelings, even though I love going new places, was when my plane touched down in Dublin and I rode the bus back home to Galway. It is such a beautiful city, the people are wonderful, and I would do anything to go back. Studying abroad was hands down the best decision I have made in college. Try new things, do what you love, enjoy yourself!

Arcadia is an amazing university to go abroad with, I can't think of what I would change. The staff is all amazing.

Kelly
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania State University

If you are thinking about going to NUIG and Galway, GO!!!!

I absolutely adored my time abroad and with Arcadia. Galway is the cutest, most quaint little town you will ever see. It is very easy to get to know and navigate. Through Arcadia, you are directly enrolled in NUIG and you take classes with Irish students! I lived in an apartment (in a place called Gort na Coiribe) with 1 other student from my college and 3 Irish lads...it was definitely an interesting experience! They loved to party and weren't the cleanest but I still enjoyed living with them. Living with the guys really helped me to dive into the culture hands on and learn how they live, talk, etc. Getting to know the Irish people and how they live (especially people our age) is one of the best parts of my study abroad experience I think. They are all so friendly, kind, chill, and hilarious.

The social life is absolutely fantastic! There are tons a pubs to go to (if anyone asks you if you want to go to the Silent Disco at the Rosin Dubh, GO! Other great pubs include the Kings Head, the Front Door, and Taffees (but you'll find this all out when you go CAUSE YOU SHOULD TOTALLY GO TO GALWAY).

It was nice because our program was made up of about 60 students from colleges all over the U.S. We had orientation for 3 days in Dublin before we got bused over to Galway.

It would be nice if before we chose where we lived, they told us the big difference (that Niland House is all Americans and Gort na Coiribe is with Irish students).

In addition, Arcadia failed to tell us that they would be providing a duvet until we got there- so I actually ended up bringing my own from the States because I didn't know it was already provided.

It also would have been nice to know who we were ACTUALLY living with before we moved into our apartments besides just the other Arcadia student we were living with. All I was told was that I had a direct roommate from my same university and her name and e-mail. We had NO idea we were living with guys until we were actually inside our apartment. Funny story, we actually thought we were alone in the apartment until one of our roommates came down the stairs. He had no idea that we were moving in then either or that we were girls! He left for a couple of days and then one night we came back from town (expecting our apt. to be empty how we left it) but instead the door was ajar (we thought we got robbed) and then this really tall guy opened the door and my roommate and I both nearly screamed. Turns out that that was one of our other roommates. So it turned out fine, but it would have been nice to know even just their names before we moved in.

Olivia
Boston, MA
Roger Williams University

The Best 5 Months of My Entire Life

As the title states, I had the best five months of my entire life in Ireland. Arcadia staff prepared us before we even left the United States, and continued to support us throughout our time in Galway. Ann Monahan was a great mom figure to anyone who had any questions or concerns. I met students from all over the United States through the program. We had the opportunity to not only attend classes with the Irish students, but we placed with Irish students in our residence halls. My roommate showed me around the city and was always there for advice on places to go out or grad a bite to eat. The nightlife is a blast with all of the nightclubs and pubs, whether you're looking to paint the town red, or have a quiet night listening to trad music. The cost of living was relatively cheap compared to other places I traveled visiting friends. Classes were taught differently than in the US, but it was refreshing to have a different learning module than I'm used to. Overall, I would (and do, all the time) recommend studying abroad in Galway to anyone if they get the chance! I still cry once in awhile when I think about my time there.

Don't drop us off in Galway an hour before midnight on New Years Eve!

Students from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. study abroad with Arcadia University through The College of Global Studies, the first college of its kind in the U.S. With over 130 programs in 12 countries, we offer a wide range of programs in many study