• England
    • London
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Spring
Anthropology Biology Chemistry Ecology English Geology Physics Social Sciences Wildlife Sciences

Program Details

Apartment Dormitory

Pricing

$26,870 USD
See website for details. Scholarships available!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Classes Travel Insurance
What's Not Included
Activities Airfare Meals SIM cards Transportation Visa
Jun 03, 2021
Oct 27, 2015

London's Global University

Founded in Bloomsbury, London, in 1826, and inspired by the ideas of radical philosopher Jeremy Bentham, University College London (UCL) has maintained a commitment to diverse and original thought from its founding and is deeply invested in cutting-edge research and continual innovation.

From its inception to the present day, when it is now the second-largest university in the UK (with 42,000 students from 150 countries), UCL has been strongly dedicated to matters of diversity, inclusion, social justice, and gender. It was the first university in England to accept women, and the first to accept students irrespective of race or religion.

It remains one of the UK’s most prestigious universities, and one of the top universities in the world, with particular strengths in English, economics, arts and humanities, engineering, neuroscience, and the social and historical sciences, as well as courses at the prestigious Slade School of Fine Art.

Program Highlights

• Arcadia excursions enhance cultural immersion and provide meaningful context
  • A member of the elite Russell Group and the League of European Research Universities, UCL offers courses in 100 departments across eleven faculties
  • A total of 34 Nobel Prize winners have either studied, taught, or researched at UCL
  • A competitive program best undertaken by independent students who value academic rigor and self-directed study
  • Located in the central London area of Bloomsbury, which is near the Arcadia London Center, as well as important cultural attractions, the British Museum and Regents’ Park among them

Kelly

Love in London

The whole entire experience in London was a dream come true. Being able to take the Tube anywhere I wanted in the city to explore was the best way to get to know the city and the boroughs I enjoyed most. While I'm biased to my home borough of Kensington & Chelsea, places like Covent Garden and Westminster became a couple of my favorite spots to discover new pubs and social scenes.

Jeff

Great school, sub-par program

I loved my time in London and I truly did enjoy the academics and other opportunities at UCL. However, I felt Arcadia promised much and delivered very little. After our orientation period, we were essentially set free in London without much support. Their "additional programming" sold out quickly. While other programs include costs for travel and special opportunities, Arcadia had travel adventures that sold out online in an hour. I would do it all over again but I would have preferred to go through a different program. UCL was academically and socially a blast and I highly recommend it.

KUlrich

Overall Good experience

The program was an overall good experience it could use some work. The teacher I had for photography was great, took us around the city to see different exhibits. Housed well and lived very comfortably. Class was not far from the station as well as housing and they helped teach you how to get around.

I did not feel fully immersed into the culture. Mostly because all of the students were American also and sometimes we felt lost on where the good places to go out were and not just the tourist things that we had read about. It would help if there were people that lived in the area our age that would have participated in the program or may be have been ambassadors of some sort to help us figure things out rather than just the faculty.
Latoya

Review of London Study Abroad Eperience--College: UCL, Program: Arcadia

I really appreciated that Arcadia provided me with a group of friends to start my time abroad with. Some of the people I met during the first week remained my friends until the very end. With that in mind, London is a very big city and it's hard to make friends unless you have initial connections. My dorm was terrible--I was at the Frances Gardner House and there was absolutely no way to socialize. I would recommend Ramsay or Ifor Evans for anyone doing this program.

Do not put people in the Frances Garnder house!
L.R.

Arcadia London Now: It is just as magical as it seems

My experience with Arcadia's London Now program was one of my best college experiences thus far. I lived in the picturesque burrow of Notting Hill, right on Hyde Park with 20 other college kids from around the world. Although that last part about the 20 kids sounds horrifying, it turned out to be one of the best parts about the trip. All 20 of us got along so well, we found that we had a difficult time doing anything without everyone present. Every weekend we went out to see a different show in London's West End and we explored the night life of the city. One of my personal favorite nights included getting free tickets to The Cripple of Inishmaan through one of Arcadia's professors and meeting Daniel Radcliffe afterwards. After the show my friends and I headed out to Piccadilly Circus for a night on the town, finished off by a ride on the London Eye, and a beautiful hour walk back to our home. My biggest problem with living in London was how much money I had to spend doing everything I wanted to do (the conversion rate at the moment is really hard to swallow). Another aspect to living in London I took issue with is the amount of drinking. The majority of my roommates were either 19 or 20 years old and from the United States. Therefore, drinking legally became the highlight of their trip and I found myself drinking more than I ever had before. Although going out legally is a lot of fun, it can get old after a while and I found that a lot of people would rather get wasted than get to know the city they were in. Having said that, with 20 roommates its always possible to find someone who wants to explore with you. I left this trip having made some wonderful life long friends and learning a substantial amount about the culture of the United Kingdom.

If I had to change one thing about London Now I would change the marketing of the program itself. Before arriving, the program seems genuinely sketchy. In many ways it sounds too good to be true and many of the travel arrangements seem to be planned last minute. Both my roommate and I were accepted without finishing the application, months before the deadline, and then heard very little from Arcadia until a few weeks before the trip began. We both felt that the program may be a scam, even though it very much was not.