Arcadia University- University College London

London's Global University

Founded in Bloomsbury, London, in 1826, and inspired by the ideas of radical philosopher Jeremy Bentham, University College London (UCL) has maintained a commitment to diverse and original thought from its founding and is deeply invested in cutting-edge research and continual innovation.

From its inception to the present day, when it is now the second-largest university in the UK (with 42,000 students from 150 countries), UCL has been strongly dedicated to matters of diversity, inclusion, social justice, and gender. It was the first university in England to accept women, and the first to accept students irrespective of race or religion.

It remains one of the UK’s most prestigious universities, and one of the top universities in the world, with particular strengths in English, economics, arts and humanities, engineering, neuroscience, and the social and historical sciences, as well as courses at the prestigious Slade School of Fine Art.

Program Highlights
  • Arcadia excursions enhance cultural immersion and provide meaningful context
  • A member of the elite Russell Group and the League of European Research Universities, UCL offers courses in 100 departments across eleven faculties
  • A total of 34 Nobel Prize winners have either studied, taught, or researched at UCL
  • A competitive program best undertaken by independent students who value academic rigor and self-directed study
  • Located in the central London area of Bloomsbury, which is near the Arcadia London Center, as well as important cultural attractions, the British Museum and Regents’ Park among them

Jeff

Great school, sub-par program

I loved my time in London and I truly did enjoy the academics and other opportunities at UCL. However, I felt Arcadia promised much and delivered very little. After our orientation period, we were essentially set free in London without much support. Their "additional programming" sold out quickly. While other programs include costs for travel and special opportunities, Arcadia had travel adventures that sold out online in an hour. I would do it all over again but I would have preferred to go through a different program. UCL was academically and socially a blast and I highly recommend it.

Latoya

Review of London Study Abroad Eperience--College: UCL, Program: Arcadia

I really appreciated that Arcadia provided me with a group of friends to start my time abroad with. Some of the people I met during the first week remained my friends until the very end. With that in mind, London is a very big city and it's hard to make friends unless you have initial connections. My dorm was terrible--I was at the Frances Gardner House and there was absolutely no way to socialize. I would recommend Ramsay or Ifor Evans for anyone doing this program.

Do not put people in the Frances Garnder house!
1 person found this review helpful.