International Reporting in Jerusalem with ieiMedia

A meeting place of ancient and new, holy and secular, Jerusalem is a gathering spot for foreign correspondents from around the world. Get a taste of the global journalist’s life by studying with veteran Middle East correspondents; then go into the community to report your own stories.

Students will learn from and work with former Christian Science Monitor foreign correspondent Ilene Prusher, longtime NPR reporter Linda Gradstein and photojournalist Ricki Rosen, all of whom have covered Israel and the Middle East for years, and veteran journalism professor Rachele Kanigel.

The program is co-sponsored by Hebrew University of Jerusalem. It is open to English-speaking students from all majors, schools and countries. Experience working on campus or professional publications is desirable, but not required.

Students will publish stories on a multimedia website. In the past, some students have also published work with professional news outlets, including The Jerusalem Post and HuffPost.

• Work as a foreign correspondent reporting on life in Israel
  • Live in a comfortable, secure student apartment on Hebrew University's Mt. Scopus campus
  • Interview community leaders and sources with diverse perspectives
  • Visit cultural and religious sites, including Masada and the Western Wall
  • Add international reporting to your resume and work portfolio

Jim

Go and Don't Look Back

Traveling to Jerusalem last summer was a life-changer. For me, what better course could there be than International Reporting? Studying out of Hebrew University, we hit the road every day and had broad exposure to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. We visited numerous sites in Jerusalem, including the Old City, In addition, we visited Bethlehem, Hebron, Tel Aviv and Ramallah. We spent significant time interviewing leaders on both sides of this issue. Media outlets we visited included Haaretz, The Jerusalem Post and the Associated Press. How about museums? The Menachim Begin and Holocaust museums in Jerusalem and the Yassar Arafat museum in Ramallah were spectacular. The historical sites will pretty much ignite you, I'm sure. The culture and people are fascinating. The food is amazing - in fact, it was wonder-falafel! Many people tried to hummus a tune on Jaffa Street and elsewhere. We did have some off-time. The beaches of the Mediterranean rocked. I visited Haifa, the Sea of Galilee, Tiberias, Masada and the Dead Sea. The leadership of the program is outstanding. No regrets here. I still think about the experience a lot and am likely to go back at a future date. And if you pay for my trip, I'll go with you. Let's do this!

Joseph

Great Journalism Opportunity in Jerusalem

I spent a month in Jerusalem living in the dorms of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, doing everything from taking detailed tours of the Old City in Jerusalem and learning about its thousands of years of history to visiting illegal Jewish settlements in the Palestinian West Bank. With the program I went to the Israeli capital, Tel Aviv, visited the Knesset (the Israeli parliament in Jerusalem), spoke to everyone from multiple Knesset members to Palestinians in the West Bank. I got to visit holy Jewish and Islamic sites, write stories on protests and even did my final project on a Muslim refugee camp inside Jerusalem.
I have encouraged classmates who have not yet graduated to look into other ieiMedia programs. This is what study abroad had lacked for me - true purpose and useful experience in my major. I feel like my time in Israel really added to my school experience. I have unique and well-written stories to show from it, and I feel it will make me a stronger candidate in the job market.
With all this, I also want to mention that the study part of my study abroad was similarly useful and engaging. We worked with multiple current journalists, had workshops on writing or photographing stories in the field to how current multimedia journalists cover breaking news. We weren't just exploring the whole month, there was valuable teaching time as well.

A couple days of more time in traditional classroom settings would have been nice.
Cynthia

Invaluable Journalism Experience

I went to Jerusalem with ieiMedia the summer before my senior year of college. I had never studied or travelled abroad, so I was a bit nervous about the program and location at first. As soon as I got there, that all went away. Jerusalem is the most amazing and interesting place you will ever visit (I can't wait to go back), and the professors are so knowledgable and helpful. I am a broadcast journalism major and had some experience from other internships and classes, but this was completely different. You are an independent reporter working in a place filled with interesting people and amazing stories... this is something that not everyone can, or will do. This has definitely set me apart from my peers. During the program, we were able to meet many people from both sides of the conflict. We went on a tour with Breaking the Silence, talked to settlers, a member of the Knesset, visited every major news organization in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and in Palestine and did much more. You are able to do independent reporting, which is so important when it comes to applying to jobs in the future. I was able to write about Breaking the Silence and reported on the Women of the Wall. We spent time in the West Bank where I, along with two other students, spent the day with a man who now works to have peace talks with Israelis and Palestinians and his family. I could, and have, gone on about this program for hours with people on this experience and why it was so important to my future as a journalist. I learned an incredible amount from our teachers who have worked as foreign correspondents for years for major publications. Having them, and their wisdom, is something that I am so grateful for. When I returned from the program, I immediately got an internship at my local NBC station. I graduate in May and will be applying to jobs as a reporter all over the country. While having this on my resume does set me apart from others, it is much more than that. I am more confident in my skills as a reporter than ever, and that is all because of this program, the professors and the experiences that they gave us.

Mallory

Kickstarted My Career

I entered the ieiMedia Jerusalem program in the summer of 2013 with almost no journalism exposure; I left with invaluable reporting experience that set me apart from my peers and empowered me to pursue the profession. During the month-long program, the organizers exposed us to as many diverse perspectives as possible – from a conservative Knesset member to an Israeli peace activist, a Jewish settler to a Palestinian journalist – that deepened our knowledge and challenged our perspectives. At the same time, they pushed us to report our own projects. I covered stigmas against domestic violence survivors in the West Bank, an intensely challenging but rewarding experience. Through it all, I gained valuable mentorship from professional journalists and became friends with peers now doing amazing things in the field. ieiMedia Jerusalem was an unforgettable experience that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning what it’s really like to be an international journalist. Five years later, I've now graduated with my master's degree in journalism and am starting a temporary position reporting with the Associated Press (AP).

About ieiMedia

The Institute for Education in International Media (ieiMedia) is a pioneer in journalism education. ieiMedia students don't just see the world, the cover it! The focus of our work is to achieve authentic exchanges with people in other cultures and...