CCIS Study Abroad: Explore Italy

Study Abroad in various programs in Italy! All programs are geared towards enhancing the international and intercultural perspectives within the academic community. Travel between the historical cities for one month or for a whole summer while learning English or Italian! Study in the heart of Florence, Tuscany, Venezia, and Rome at:

Lorenzo de' Medici Florence, Italy
Lorenzo de' Medici Three Cities, Italy
Istituto Venezia (Venice Institute), Italy
Lorenzo de' Medici Tuscania, Italy
The American University of Rome, Italy

• Faculty in all fields of study are highly experienced and speak English and all courses are taught in English with the exception of Italian language courses.
  • The Lorenzo de' Medici Tuscania Campus offers courses to students from all over the world in Italian language, art, art history, archaeology, history, Italian culture, the culinary arts, and various other fields of study.
  • Integration in the community is fundamental to the program, encouraging students to create relationships in a cultural context.

Irene

One of a kind Experience

I spent July 2017 in Florence as part of the CCIS program. It was honestly amazing. I loved all of it. The city itself is incredibly beautiful and there's a lot to see and do, especially if you're interested in art and Italian culture. I took an Italian language class taught completely in Italian so it was definitely a different course experience than one you get in the US and at times challenging because you do rely on your knowledge of the language. Thankfully, it is easy to catch on to things and really good practice if you're serious about learning. I thought the professors were great! The course material was appropriate and left plenty of time to engage in other activities. I spent most of the day around the city. The advisor was also helpful and provided great support to students adjusting. They provide fantastic resources about Florence and the university too. Take advantage of those student discounts around Florence; they make a difference! I loved how the university offered activities to engage students and help get to know each other. My roommates and I were raving about the pasta we made at a cooking class they offered! It is one of my favorite memories! We also went to a wine tasting, a field trip to a smaller nearby town and so much more. They also offered weekend trips that were the highlights of my entire trip. I felt they were very organized, informative and you really got to tour other places well for the price that you paid. Not to mention its a relief not having to worry about planning and booking on your own. I do feel that these trips played a major role on my friendships. I got to know fantastic people on this program, some of which I'm fortunate enough and eager to see regularly back home! They place very well and accurately to your preferences in terms of the housing. As for my life post-program, I feel like it really opened my eyes to new experiences and increased my own confidence. I feel more confident in my knowledge and contributions across various situations. Studying abroad encourages you to be more social and take risks and become comfortable with that. It does count as some international experience which looks great on paper and is something fun and beneficial to talk about (your enthusiasm and knowledge can go a long way). I actually recommend studying abroad to a lot of people who are skeptical and I have a couple of friends that have gone and loved it as well!

For housing, I felt like more could have been offered. The space and location was great, however there were no supplies once we got in. We had to go get soap and water. After a long trip, going to the supermarket is not exactly something you're eager to do once you step in.
Selina

Summer Abroad in Florence

My summer semester abroad in Florence was a great experience. I loved immersing myself into a foreign country and getting into the flow of the culture, foods, and day-to-day life in Florence. On the weekends I enjoyed going on short trips and being able to see many different parts of Italy. I feel that visiting a country versus staying in the country for a month gives a very different experience and understanding of the place. Studying abroad is something that I hope I can do again.

Dina

Best experience of my life

I left for study abroad not knowing anyone else who was going and I left with lots of great friends from all over the world that I still keep in touch with after leaving! It was the best experience ever because it pushed me out of my comfort zone and I was allowed to see how other cultures lived. It opened my eyes to different ways of living that I now incorporate into my own life back at home. I gained a greater sense of sensitivity towards others, awareness of my surroundings and responsibilities in all aspects. I couldn't be happier with my decision and I do not carry one ounce of regret. If I could, I would do it all over in a heartbeat!!

My motto going in was to not allow money to get in the way of anything!! Whether that was going out to eat, traveling, different activities, night outs with friends. This is a once in a life time experience and I didn't want money to get in the way of that. I can now look back and know that I did everything I wanted without missing out. I didn't want to regret not having an experience just because I didn't want to "waste" money. It was never a "waste".

I wish there were an option to extend the trip for another semester, without having to return home and redo the entire application process.

About CCIS Study Abroad

Study abroad with the College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) in locations around the world from the Americas to Africa, Asia, Europe and Oceania. CCIS is a partnership made up of a host of colleges and universities of all different sizes...