Athena Study Abroad Program at HISA in Kyoto, Japan

Japanese Scenery
Japanese Scenery
Athena Study Abroad Student
Athena Study Abroad Student

For the student looking for something authentically Japanese, experience Kyoto and the surrounding area with Athena Study Abroad! Athena's Kyoto program exposes students to the traditional and contemporary spirit of Japan. Students take courses designed to give insight into the history and significance of Japan as well as exposing them to the aesthetic beauty of this unique country.

The classes do not just take place in a classroom setting. Many excursions are integrated into the program, such as a tea ceremony, kabuki theater, Golden Pavilion, bamboo forest and many more!

The school, Hellenic International Studies in the Arts (HISA) brings together an interaction between students who desire more than a traditional lecture format, and talented teachers and artists who wish to share their experience and knowledge. Athena/HISA's Kyoto program coordinator is a native of Japan, so all participants have the benefit of her innate knowledge and access to this tight-knit culture

• Gain hands-on learning in Japan while immersed in an inside-out classroom.
  • Enjoy Japan’s festival season, with our summer program coinciding with numerous Kyoto festivals.
  • Witness the Old and New of Japan while going on tours to modern metropolis and ancient villages.
  • Experience true, full immersion into the Japanese culture.
  • Learn outside the classroom with a small group, ensuring personalized attention from the teacher.

Justeen

Awesome program!!

I loved this program so much! Everyone was great and so much fun. I learned a lot about Japan and the history of Kyoto while also being with people that were amazing and doing something I love. I’d been getting really depressed and unmotivated to keep going to school. I really wanted a break and I was scared that I was going to do really bad with this program since it wasn’t a traditional school. But everyone was really friendly and I did great. I’m now more motivated then ever to keep going to school!! I wish I didn’t have to leave Japan and I’d love to go back! Thank you Athena Study Abroad!

I think the program was perfect!!
Kayla

Wonderful Program

This program is a wonderful experience for all sorts. One is fully immersed, and encouraged to interact with the locals for lessons with digital photography. The course is at an introductory level, and easy enough for beginners. Those with little to no understanding can easily get by for the program. What distinguishes this is that we are encouraged to explore, and find ideal photoshoots, and try the local food. I was able to enjoy the wonders of ceramic pottery in Kyoto, while my classmates spent a week in Tokyo Japan. We were brought to many sacred temples, and marketplaces from Kyoto to Nara. Plus you are free to complete your own pace.

Maybe some suggestions for places that the students can explore, since some might be a bit overwhelmed by that wonderful freedom. Especially if they cannot decide where they want to explore.