Rice University (CLIC Study Abroad) - Japan Program

Rice in Japan is an innovative 6-week intensive Japanese language and intercultural communication summer program.

Program dates: May 16 through June 27, 2017

This program aims to build students’ intercultural communication ability through active, critical language awareness and language use in its natural sociocultural context. The program maximizes students’ opportunities to interact with local people through home-stays, community engagement, language partners, and cultural excursions.

Furthermore, in order to develop their own understanding of how to interact with native speakers, students will gather empirical language data and analyze it in the classroom to identify discursive and cultural patterns of communication.

Ethan

Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

Going on this program was the best choice I've made in college. It was an unforgettable experience that made me fall in love with Japan and its culture already more than I had been. Ozaki Sensei and the rest of the Rice University CLIC staff who helped facilitate this program put so much in to making sure we had a great experience. On top of probably being the best program out there, it was also quite affordable. I highly recommend this program to everyone.

Tengkam

Rice-in-Japan

Hey guys, I'm a sophomore at Rice and I just attended the Rice-In Japan program this summer. Rice-In-Japan is a super rewarding 6-week program in which you get the opportunity to immerse yourself into the local environment, to improve your language skills and of course in the meantime, have tons of fun. During the six-weeks, you will be living in local Japanese families, as my friends told me, they're all super nice and willing to help you with your language and with understanding the local culture. Besides, you will also be assigned language buddies who you can talk/text/hang out with. They're all Japanese students who study in the same university when you're at Japan. So I highly recommend you to take advantage of these incredible resources. Not to mention you will also be facing an intensive but rewarding language class. Last but not least, the well-designed schedule by CLIC faculties and professors provide you with a lot of fun time besides the studying. We learnt to make sushi by ourselves, taught at elementary school, spent a day at nursing home and etc..

I would like to see more interacting between Rice students and the Japanese students in the future. For example, if we're allowed to join the University clubs during the program, that will be pretty cool!

About Rice University CLIC Study Abroad

The Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication at Rice University offers eight summer language programs abroad in the following countries: Argentina, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Korea and Spain. All programs are six weeks long and...