World Campus Study Abroad Program Japan

World Campus Study Abroad Program Japan

World Campus International, Inc. offers you an opportunity to take part in short-term, non-traditional study abroad programs in Japan. You can choose to sign up for one or more 3 week block programs. Participants will have the unique chance to gain international experience as well as increase their personal and professional networks, all while enjoying the backdrop of Japanese culture, daily life and business through various activities.

What does having this kind of "unique access to Japan" mean?
1) A great chance to see Japanese cultural sites, eat delicious food and learn about Japanese traditions.
2) An opportunity to experience an authentic Japanese lifestyle by staying with host families.
3) A way to learn about modern Japan through interacting with local politicians, business people and teachers.
4) An opportunity to share your culture and volunteer your talents in activities with ordinary Japanese citizens, school children, disabled people and the elderly.

Asia » Japan » Tokyo
Asia » Japan
Program Fee Includes:
* Housing
* Meals
* Transportation during the Tour
* Program Staffing
* Regional Learning related expenses such as entrance fees or for guides
* Access to all Planned Community Partner Resources such as Facilities, Speakers, Special Guests, as well as activities with Businesses, Politicians and Organizations
* All Program Content
* All Operational Expenses

What the Program Fee doesn't Include:
* Transportation from your home to the designated meeting place in Japan and then from a designated place at the end of the tour in Japan back to your home.
* International health insurance for the tour time.
* Any at-home expenses that you might choose or need to maintain while on tour; for example car payments, school loans, mortgages, etc.
* Extra spending money for souvenirs, socializing, shopping, replenishing toiletries, etc. We recommend about USD 50 or 40 Euro per week.
* A small but meaningful or creative gift for each of your host families.
* There are currently over 60 countries or regions that do not require a visa for travel in Japan for less than 3 months. Please plan on visa related expenses if your country is one that requires a visa.
* If you do not have a passport, you will need to purchase one before the tour begins.
Various

The answer is no BUT before you actually participate you think it is not possible to go along with or to engage in a conversation with a person/ family which speaks Japanese only. Actually, at WCI you are trained how to fit into all environments whether you know how to speak their language or not.

Lindome

The second timer

So this year (2017) I joined WCI Japan again, and I can honestly say that I had an even better experience than last time. So many fun and interesting people made the weeks fly by as if it was an instant. Some of my best friends I've made because of world campus. With crazy Czechs, Colombian pranksters and comedic Americans you will do daily activities like the field trips back from school days. Classical Japanese artforms like Kyudo, Taiko and Kendo, visiting schools from elementary all the way up to university, wandering deep into bamboo forests, shrines and temples left, right and center- it is a hands on curriculum for sure. Doesn't that sound great?- I tell you it is.

If you choose to join, you will enlarge your family- there is no denying it. I still keep in touch with my host families and I do get that warm feeling inside when I think of my time spent with World Campus International Japan. Finally a word of warning though. The culinary explosion of deliciousness on your pallet during your stay, might cause an addiction. For me it is soba, and I can tell you it is hard to find good soba in Sweden. //Daniel

Tito
United Kingdom

A Fantastic Experience

I came across this program by searching for programs in Japan on the internet, and i'm glad that i found this.
It was my first time ever going abroad by myself so i was a bit nervous but also excited. This Program is packed full of activities to do so you will never be bored and it also have personal days which lets you just explore Japan at your own leisure.
This Program really puts you out of you comfort zone and really changes you (for the better) by giving you new experiences and views of Japan and world. This program is also great for making friends from around the world as the other participants are all from different countrys from like Sweden, USA, Israel etc... and you can learn more about their countries and find you things you never knew about (which can either confirm or debunk stereotypes you had about them).
I would say the best thing about this program, i would say is the host families as they are amazing and make you feel like you are apart of the family and honesty you will probably cry (or close to it) as i did when you have to leave them though thankfully for the internet, i can keep in touch with them.
If you're thinking about going to Japan but not sure what to do, I recommend this program, believe me you wont regret it and also you don't need to speak Japanese whats so ever( but it helps).

If possible, more time to spend with the host families or see if you can include them more into the activities.

Sabine
The Netherlands

Japan of the Japanese

I came into contact with this program through an alumni of World Campus Japan who had joined the previous year and although she told me incredible stories, it couldn't compare to experiencing it myself for me. There are multiple things that make this program so special for me. The group, the host families and also the activities all contributed to making my participation making a very unique experience and I will tell a little bit about each of them.

First of all, the host families. Every host family will take you as part of their family for one week and also after that. They are excited to learn about you, your country and customs and also are very willing to share theirs. You become part of their family. Even now I still keep in touch with the families I stayed with.
Next a little bit about the activities. Not every activity might sound as interesting as some others, but there’s a lot of variation and if you put in a little effort, it will pay back double. For every activity, there are people that made efforts to organize something worthwhile and will be an unique experience and they are incredibly fun and sometimes also very educational. Having activities daily for 3 weeks does sound very tiring, but every week there will be a day you’ll spend with your host family and a free day off where you can decide on your own how to spend it.
Then a little bit about the group. When I joined the program in the 3rd session, it started out as a group of fellow participants from different countries. Over the course of 3 weeks I learned a lot about them, their respective countries and I now call most of them my friends. During the program you spend a lot of time with these people and naturally you’ll get along better with some, but after I got back home, I missed every one of them.

One session is 3 weeks with a group of people you barely know at the beginning, and at least 3 different host families, the program is packed full of activities, but it doesn’t get tiresome at all. The people you’ll meet are very nice and usually like-minded people. This program asks you to give a little bit of yourself, but you’ll definitely be rewarded with one of the most unique inside experiences to Japan. And the chance of keeping in contact with AT LEAST one person who lives outside your country are incredibly high.

Thinking back on my experiences, there is not a single thing I can think of right now that can be improved.

Michael
Dübendorf

Experiencing another way of Life

Hi,
This Programm is all about showing people Japan and showing Japanese other people. It's a simple way of experiencing the Japanese and their lifestyle, that being living with them. If you are looking for a Programm in which you will
- Learn about Japan & the Japanese people
- Learn about their culture
- Experience Japanese Festivals
( - Go To JAPAN!)
- Eat many kinds of Foods (The Host-Families try very hard - it's almst all delicious)
(*cough* Nato *cough*)
- Get to know many People
- etc.

Then you should consider checking out the Webpage for Details.

If you struggle with Embarrassing situations, Too many new people or are a very untrusting person AND are not ready enough to try to fix those things then you may end up in some unenjoyable situations. However the Staff are there to help and they ensure a safe environment where all things that do not cause physical damage to simply be laughed off. (I ran into a lot of such ... special situations ... i got the nickname Anime Protagonist ... )

The main things i gained from this Programm are:
- A great Holiday with a lot of Fun with new Friends around the Globe
- Places in Japan i can call home
- Pictures to remember
- I matured a lot as a person (i used to think americans were fools - after meting some i thought they werent actually all that bad ... then Trump happened so yeah)(point is i learned that "American A" is not the same as "American B")
- I am confidant i could now survie in Japan on my own - nowhere close enough to "Live" there but i have learnt enough to survive there ... probably

Conclusion:
I recommend this to Everyne who A. has some spare money B. has an interest in Japan and C. wants to grow as a person
I do not recommend it to those who are A. very easily Tired B. extremly shy or C. can't handle making a leap of Faith (cause you travel alone to another country and that can be scary) However if you think that these do apply to you and you want to try this programm anyways try contacting WCI and the Staff will do their best to support you.

I spoke directly with the CEO about my thoughts since he is a very open minded person. But i will post some of my comments here anyways.

I recommended some outdoor Orientation activities and maybe some Locked room games.

We were in Nara for one (of my 8) weeks and i felt that the Nature aspect wasnt appealed to enough and that simply walking around might have been better than some activities. Though some Participants are sure to think the opposite. As a Swiss person i'm used to a lot of Walking in the Mountains/Nature so maybe my opinion is biased?

Lindome

A Great Experience

So I had a great time in Japan and it turned out that this program fitted me perfectly. For the last year before participating I've studied Japanese and it was a good way to put it into practice. The program doesn't require any knowledge in the language but if you do, or want to do you will get a lot of opportunities to practise while taking part in great communities. Anything from learning how to cook Japanese omelett to cutting bamboo in the forest. Weather you want to visit every shrine in sight or just want to stay around a camp fire with your host family and their friends, -turning into a dance party, this program is simply put full of opportunities and it is great. It is a great moral boost to be surrounded by 40 school children calling out your name. And the best part, except for all the nice people and delicious food, the only thing that is required from you is that you are decent and have an interest, how great isn't that? :D

The only downside to this program is that after weeks you will have to leave your family (not your host family but family- period) and friends. Thank ... what ever or whomever you want to thank, for the internet so that you could keep in touch. Loved it!

Even more nice people ;D

Ana
Guimarães, Portugal

The most exciting experience of my life

World Campus Japan really was one of the most intense and fun experiences of my life. I got to be with an international group and to know Japan not from the point of view of a tourist, but as a member of a local community. Living with host families really makes you emerge in the japanese culture, and learn all the aspects of it.

But more than that, WCI - Japan taught me that one to one, we can change the world. It showed me how great it was to get out of my comfort zone, try new things and help people. It showed me how great it was to mix with other people with diferent cultures and how much we can learn from it. We interacted with so many people and touched so many hearts... I was overwhelmed when it was over. It was a lifetime experience.

I totally recomend it :)

Mary
Ireland

Best time of my life! Great friends and experiences

I never expected that the host family experience would be so great - was just thinking it would hamper our social time - but I have made friends for life! Staying with local families is THE way to see a place and really learn about life there. Hostels / hotels are the same around the world but a family home gives you safety and an insight to the traditions & customs of that culture.

The experience of students / participants from many other countries was great - I felt that not only did I travel to and learn about Japan - but so many other countries - I know I will travel to meet those close new friends in their home countries one day - have plans to already!

working together with local communities was not only a team effort, hands on learning and very rewarding but gave me confidence to begin a new career path. Overall this is a life changing and wonderful experience in a safe structured environment but yet with room to grow and find yourself!

Anders
Stavanger

Loved It!

I went on World Campus the summer of 2009, right before my exchange in Japan, the first time I would be living there, getting me great contacts and a chance to trial-by-fire. World Campus gave me a great opportunity to ease myself into it, while meeting some amazing people and getting to do things that make my friends jealous to this day. The chance to live in multiple Japanese households really gives you a unique perspective on life in Japan, really appreciating the local nuances inside what can seem a homogenous culture. Plus, they know all the cool places in their area that the guidebooks don't tell you about, like the ninja castle in Iga, not to mention the second-only-to-kobe-beef Iga beef! It was great for my Japanese as well, as class can only prepare you for a certain amount, especially the more natural Japanese you hear and use at home. The only negative was that I went for a month and a half (a half program back then) and people went a bit stir-crazy with all the events and planned stuff, but they do a great job in preparing you for that as well as reducing the length of the programs a bit. The two days off a week also really help :-) All in all, World Campus was a memorable experience for me and I highly recommend it to anyone who has the chance to go!

Scalemx
Originally Belgium but now Fukuoka, Japan

Discover yourself in Japan!

The program was a great opportunity for me to go to Japan. I had studied a lot about it and I wanted to visit, but I wanted more than just travel. The program took care of the travel and arranged host families for me (great people, great experiences), while I could concentrate on learning Japanese, Japanese culture and society. I also made friends all over the world on top of that.
I eat all food so I didn't have any complaints, on the other hand it was the opposite the host families wanted to give me special food, but because I eat everything I didn't know what to tell them I liked.(there were vegetarians on the program)
The program allowed me to access places that I could never have accessed on my own and learned me much about Japan. On the other hand, one also learns about one's own country, because of all the questions from fellow participants and Japanese people.
Japan was magnificent, but also exhausting. The events themselves and the community interaction were quite agreeable, but instead of coming home and relaxing on the computer, the host family wants to entertain you and take care of you and so on, which makes every day very very full. But also very fun, of course. ;)
What to take on this program:
-Excitement
-stuff from your country (should have brought more)
-An open mind towards other cultures
-A good night's rest before the program starts
-Some money for drinks in summer (Japan is hot) and other stuff you'd like to buy
-English skills (well if you can read this you'll probably be fine)
-Smiles, lots of smiles

faux_travels
North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

No Turning Back

I have to say that the experience I had with World Campus was one of the best, most influential experiences of my life! Not only did I get to see the vast beauty of Japan, I was able to experience the dynamic interplay of the city verses the country, witness festivals, religious temples, assist with community-building and noodle making--you name it! Not only that, but I was able to learn and interact with people from all over the world, be immersed in the language, and discover just how small (or if you think about it, how big/different) our world really is. I would recommend this program to anyone who is really looking to get something out of a summer adventure, who wants to make an impact in the lives of everyone they encounter, AND who wants to experience what it really means to visit and possibly become a part of Japan.

dayna74
Cincinnati, OH
University of Cincinnati

AMAZING program!!!

I cannot imagine any better way to experience Japan. This program really focuses on learning about the culture, coming from the amazing host families and many opportunities to interact in the community. More than that, you meet participants from all over the world, and become part of a global community that continues long after the program is over. It has been two years since I participated, and I can still say that it has been the most influential experience of my life. Give this program a close look... you won't regret it!

GoWCI
Illinois
Middlebury College

Tight Community

This will be an unforgettable experience. It's truly a place where individuals from all walks of life and regions of the world come together and open up, sharing experiences, thoughts, and lives with others. You certainly experience Japan in a way that you would not as a tourist, forming lasting bonds with your host families, community supporters, staff and other program members. I would not say it is the most environmentally conscious program (thus the 9 on the impact), but there is no question about the good intention of the staff and community members involved. All in all, I recommend this intimate experience of Japan and a diverse group of to-be family!

Sean
Montreal, Canada
Concordia University

Life Changing Experience

I spent about three months in Japan although strangely, I have enough memories to fill a year! They are as vivid and colourful as if it was yesterday. I remember with an incredible accuracy my first thoughts when I heard about WCI; the excitement, the taste for adventure, the anticipation of learning and meeting strangers from all over the world. I also recall the uncomfortable feeling that accompanied me in the last days before I left for this life-altering trip.

The first month is about getting out of your comfort zone (pushing it further and further), making the first and most important learning about the unique Japanese culture, meeting people from all over the globe and learning from them. Life in host families, the Japanese environment and being in the program allows you to create a new life for yourself. A life in which honesty, trust and personal responsibility are at the foundation of the new character you become. Visiting incredible sites such as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki Peace Museums, the Hiroshima A-Dome and Matsumoto Castle were some of the great opportunities we had. We also had meetings with different guest lecturers such as two A-Bomb survivors; a university doctor that spoke about communication and the chairman of the board of education of Ueda. We also had the incredible chance to assist in the peace ceremony in Hiroshima on August 6th, the Ueda Washoi event and the Buddhist week in Omura! Unforgettable moments…

Having a handful of members leaving after the first month when Session 1 was finished, the priorities diverted from the initial learning to the creation of a big family in Japan. Experiential learning became internal communication learning (among the participants) and the bonds between the participants grew immensely creating a priceless international network. Also, dealing with these 14 different cultures and evolving in the Japanese culture allows you to naturally start introspecting and adjusting your thoughts, behaviours, etc, to international standards. The environment changed radically as we passed from big cities to the isolated city of Uda in the Nara prefecture. The second face of Japan was about to be revealed…

As the World Campus – Japan program came to an end, the last month in Japan became a moment of reflection about the changes and learning brought by WCI. Members shared their last memories together in what became their life in Japan. We had different important events such as the visit to one of Toyota Corporation’s manufacturing plants and the meeting with their P.R. representatives or the ExxonMobil presentation where some of us had the opportunity to communicate with important management members. Giving classes to students and assisting university courses where we would integrate or share international opinions to the topic were also on the menu. Finally, some members had the most difficult task of the program – leaving for home. The strong family created by the hard and good times of WCI made it incredibly difficult to let those people go. I myself sometimes had a hard time spending all my time with the same people every day but in the end, these friends, brothers and sisters who were part of me…. letting them go and leaving on my own was a tremendous task.

Finally, back home, it’s only then that you discover the real changes that operate in you. Your mentality changed, your knowledge increased, your interest and priorities were reorganized and you acquired (want it or not) a certain form of discipline and an energy reserve that can allow you to function more and longer than before. Besides, you now have friends and family all over the world that support you, understand you and that want to hear what you have to say. Facing your real self again, your environment and the person you became allow you to make final changes in your person and fix what had to be fixed and lets you take another great step towards wherever you are going.

To describe World Campus International in a few words, I would say: “Life changing, learning, appreciation for your own background, respect for others and yourself, lifetime opportunity and most memorable”.

If ever you are interested in WCI, please be in touch; I can only wish you can experience what I experienced as it might just change your life and in the long run change the world for the best.

Robert
Mukono, Uganda

Incorporating my international exposure experience gained from WCI to my Organization work

Getting on well with people from other nationalities is always the biggest challenge to a number of individuals serving on various community development programs. Miss-interpretation of body language and at times language terms used is a challenge and always hinders quality inputs in most of negotiated community proposed development projects for donor consideration. My participation in the World Campus International 2007 Summer Global Educational Program helped me to gain more understanding and skills on how to innovatively collaborate in a mixed community of cultures to clearly sell my ideas with less resistance based on various differences.

The WCI program is designed to create an environment for sharing and freely accept or intelligently ignore each one's opinions with or without any physiological torture.

I greatly credit World Campus International Global Educational program that fit in almost every one's professional area and exposes everyone to extensive opportunities as well as gaining life-long knowledge and skills on how to live in a diverse community of people as friends, partners, brothers, sisters and not as enemies any more. Thank you

Robert

Matt
Montreal

A fantastic way to travel and see Japan while sharing your own unique culture!

I took part in the WCI Japan summer program for one session a couple of years ago, and it was my second time in Japan.

The program offers some of the best opportunities to really get out and learn about Japanese traditions and day to day lives through living and bonding with your families, and the daily excursions around.

The families are all soooo excited to have you stay with them that any apprehension you feel before you start evaporates almost immediately. They often bring you to meet their family and friends in the community and are so kind its really a touching experience. Even though you normally only stay with any one particular family for about a week, by the end of your stay you'll realize what kind of attachment you've had with them, its really an amazing feeling.

WCI also provides the chance to go on various excursions to historical sites, cultural exhibitions and also visit some modern facilities in the region you're staying at. The great thing about these day trips is you never really feel like your on some normal tour, as there are activities and knowledge exchanges going on between your group and the hosts all the time.

You also get some downtime to freely explore on your own, although by the end of those 4-5 days you are usually ready to get back into the WCI swing of things! The arigatou event (Thank-you event) that you put on at the end of each stay for the host families and community was the first time I'd ever been involved in some kind of 'production', and it was really a great time for both the families and everyone in WCI putting it on.

All in all it was a great experience, if you are looking for a chance to really visit and experience Japan this is probably as close as you can get without living there, and I guarantee you'll never be wondering what to do next thanks to this fantastic program! Highly recommended!!!

Leiden, The Netherlands

World Campus International: An amazing life-changing experience!

My name is Daniel and last summer (2011) I went to Japan, joining the WCI program. It was the first time for me in Japan and it couldn't have been any better!

I'm currently a Japanese major student in the Netherlands. Before last summer I had never been to Japan and I felt that in order to get extra motivated to study the Japanese language and culture, I figured going to Japan would be a good way to achieve this. I didn't feel like traveling around on my own, since this required a certain level of proficiency in the Japanese language, which at that time I certainly did not have. When the WCI CEO came to the Netherlands to give a presentation about WCI, I decided to drop by and the concept of the program immediately piqued my interest; it promised to let the participants experience Japan from within, rather than as a tourist. The idea of a homestay program also appealed to me, as I wanted to improve my language skills.

Anyway, enough about my motives for joining the program, on with the review. I made a mistake when I booked my ticket, so I informed the WCI staff that I would arrive at the airport a few hours late. The WCI staff advised me to get on a bus and upon arriving at some bus stop, my host family would pick me up. I was rather stressed out because I had hardly any idea of how the bus ticket system works in Japan. At the point I started being desperate because I couldn't read more than 5% of the kanji that were displayed on the bus ticket dispenser, a staff member of WCI patted me on the back and told me they came to pick me up, which was quite a relief. This one of many examples of care, combined with all the memorable activities that the WCI staff managed to plan and the inspiring personalities that these staff members have, create a perfect base for an amazing program.

There are a few things that make the WCI program so memorable, it's uniqueness, it's focus on cultural diversity and the overall sense of opennness. Especially the latter two are the aspects of the program that left quite an impact on my life. The program attracts people from all around the world, who are all interested in exploring Japan. While exploring, I was in contact with all these different people's cultures as well. I learned a lot about the countries that my fellow participants came from and also about their cultures, ideals and thoughts. This made me more open and understanding towards other people, which I really treasure as an attained skill. It's also the openness of the people in and around the program that struck me in a positive way. People want to know about you, people want to tell you their stories and everyone is accepted as a part of the group. After a some days pass, the feeling of a family is really there. The day I left Japan, I felt like I was leaving friends that I had known for years, even though it had been just over a month. I could talk to some of these people about personal matters and they gave me more confidence. The encounters with these people made me change the way I think about some aspects of my life; I am convinced that I should take any opportunity that crosses my path and to step out of my comfort-zone, even when this doesn't appeal to be enjoyable. I also gained a lot more confidence to do this, but also in other aspects of my life.

Furthermore, I would like to express the program's uniqueness when it comes to the activities that were organised. As I stated above, this is also one of the aspects that made WCI so memorable. Due to contacts with local communities, WCI is able to give the participants access to various organisations such as schools, universities, elderly homes, hospitals, companies, dojos, temples, etc. These kinds of access also include many rare opportunities such as being able to interview city mayors, company CEOs or even an atomic bomb survivor. There's also the opportunity to help farmers in their rice fields, to give elderly or handicapped people a fun day, or to hang out with Japanese university students and have a drink with them. When going to more regular touristic spots such as temples and castles, there is often someone (a monk, a CEO, university students, etc.) that gives us a special tour or the opportunity to ask questions and get answers directly rather than from a pamphlet.

Because this is starting to look like an advert rather than a review, I suppose I should mention the bad points of the program. To be honest I have a hard time thinking of any, but if I had to name one, it would be that the program is mainly in English. Unless one makes a great effort to talk Japanese with one's host families, I think it is hard to improve Japanese conversational skills. On the other hand I really did notice a difference in my comprehension of the Japanese language and my grades at the university have only been rising since I left Japan, so I can say that one's overall proficiency is still likely to increase.

To conclude I can only emphasize how big of an impact this program had on me and how much I recommend everyone to join this program. There is so much more that defines World Campus International's amazingness that I have not been able to mention in this review, but I can assure everyone that everything I've experienced has been worth every single penny/cent/yen that I've spent on the program. The fact that I will be joining WCI again this summer, should at least prove I'm positive about the program, to say the least. Don't miss this opportunity, JOIN WCI!

Cheers,

Daniel

Life-changing. Great people. Friendships. Beatiful and fun Japan. Amazing opportunities. Huge impact. Unique program. Multicultural. Learn. JOIN WCI!

Nina
Kongens Lyngby, Denmark

An experience for life

Travelling with WCJ was the best experience I've had for a VERY long time. It gives you so much by the interaction in the communities and seeing the country from the inside.
The host families are nice, and they do whatever they can, to make you feel home at their place.
The food is very different, but it's fun to challenge yourself with trying out new stuff.
I would definitely wanna go again and maybe someday I will:)

World Campus International organizes short term programs in Japan for students aged 17 and up. Programs can be done independently of each other or in conjunction, making your Japanese studies flexible to your needs, goals, and budget. Study Japanese culture and language in various cities