World Campus Study Abroad Program Japan

World Campus International, Inc. offers you an opportunity to take part in short-term, non-traditional study abroad programs in Japan. You can choose to sign up for one or more 3 week block programs. Participants will have the unique chance to gain international experience as well as increase their personal and professional networks, all while enjoying the backdrop of Japanese culture, daily life and business through various activities.

What does having this kind of "unique access to Japan" mean?
1) A great chance to see Japanese cultural sites, eat delicious food and learn about Japanese traditions.
2) An opportunity to experience an authentic Japanese lifestyle by staying with host families.
3) A way to learn about modern Japan through interacting with local politicians, business people and teachers.
4) An opportunity to share your culture and volunteer your talents in activities with ordinary Japanese citizens, school children, disabled people and the elderly.

The answer is no BUT before you actually participate you think it is not possible to go along with or to engage in a conversation with a person/ family which speaks Japanese only. Actually, at WCI you are trained how to fit into all environments whether you know how to speak their language or not.

Joakim

The best way to experience Japan

I have been to nine different countries on various occasions, and among all of them, nothing even comes close to my experiences in Japan with World Campus. There is a good reason I have joined that program three times already.

Through traveling with World Campus I have stayed with 16 host families, all of whom welcome me back whenever I go to Japan. I have made friends with people from all over the world, including China, Sweden, The Netherlands, USA, Qatar and others. And perhaps most importantly, World Campus has allowed me to develop as a human being. All of this, despite not knowing a single word of Japanese before joining. One the other hand, the program has taught me how to communicate without a common language, and also taught me some Japanese.

Overall, what World Campus does right is their hands-on approach - learning by doing. Wouldn't it be cool to see a real samurai demonstrate how to use a katana? You know what would be even cooler? To then have the samurai hand you their sword and teach you how to use it. World Campus has offered me plenty such experiences. I didn't just get to watch an elementary school teacher teach their class, I got to join them teaching. I have practiced zen meditation with a real buddhist monk, and joined a traditional tea cermony organized by a true master. And I have experienced things I never had imagined even existed, such as how to do furoshiki - an old way of wrapping your belongings in practical and decorative Japanese cloth.

The core experience however, the one that really makes you feel that you get to see Japan from the inside, is being able to live with host families during your entire stay. By living with other families, I was able to observe and take part in daily routines, eat authentic homemade food that can't be found anywhere else, and truly feel like I was a part of the family. Through sharing culture from my own country, I also learned a lot about myself.

I heartly recommend this program to anyone looking for a unique, life changing and unforgettable experience!

The program is already excellent and constantly improving, but best thing that could happen is a lot of new participants!
Nicole

The best experience in my life!! (no kidding)

WCI has been the best experience in my life and it totally got me as a sorprise.

I am a colombian student and I wanted to travel to Japan with my friend Natalia. It was an impulse, I just started to google summer camps and classes of japannese. I didn't know how, but I had to go to Japan. In one page I found WCI and it was PERFECT: the dates, the activities, all in english... It was even more than I was looking for.

We were able to travel to so different places in the countryside of Japan, and see cities and people. We were like rock stars jajaja. The japanese people is not used to see foreign people in places different than Tokyo. We appeared in television and in news papers. Everyday I had a TOTALLY NEW ESPERIENCE that reminded me as when I was little and they got to explain how the world works... something like that.

I went knowing NOTHING about japanese. I started to read my travel book in the plain just to learn two word hahaha and it was awesome how much I started to get. Maybe not to translate, but the last weeks I was getting the idea of what they were talking in japanese!

About the group of people in WCI, they were amazing! I am not that good at making friends, so I was relief I had Natalia (my colombian friend). After the first city, I was realizing I not just had the oppportunity to talk to all af the group, but that I was getting closer to them.

Well, for conclusion, if you like japan, or you are just curious of their culture, or if you just like to travel, and want a full inmerse experience with wonderful people, here is the place.

I feel there's so much more to say. If you have any questions, here is my mail if you would like to talk: nickyroserohotmail.com.

Nicole Rosero Samudio.

Jacky

World Campus Japan for ever

For a long time it was a great wish to visit Japan. Then I learned about World Campus Japan and everything became better than expected.

The program gives only a hint of all the experience. It starts with the staff who organized the whole trip just perfect. And there is a lot of organization. Supported by local people and the families who allowed us to live in their homes.

I was really lucky with my two families. To me it felt, on both places, as I would be part of the family. They showed us their places, we were invited to their friends, we tasted many dishes and cooked it together. I felt welcome and pampered.

The program is a brilliant mix of culture, sports, nature, food and communication with people from every age group. We were invited to a tea ceremony, to a Kendo show, into a temple and so much more. We visited schools and a retirement home and a maple plantation. We saw an anime and after that we had the opportunity to talk to the filmmaker. The potluck parties at the end of every part were another of so many highlights. No, the whole trip was a highlight!

I’m grateful for all the experience I gained. Back at home it took me a while to process all the impressions. I still stay in contact with the families and most of the other people I met there.

This insight into Japan is really unique. I now nothing comparable that brings you closer to this great country. With all the colorful parts and friendly people. I was overwhelmed and still are, thinking of the time in Uda and Suita.

Thanks to Hiro and all his helping hands!
I benefitted so much from this program! It was worth every single Yen!

Almost impossible!
Keegan

Very happy this I found this Program

I was originally looking for a study abroad program through my school. After learning that I was too late to apply for any school programs, I went online in search of other programs. That’s when I found World Campus International! I am extremely happy that I found this program rather than a school program. Instead of studying in classrooms, which is not why I want I want to visit Japan, you do fun and exciting activities in the communities bettering yourself and the community you are visiting. I met so many amazing people on my travels with World Campus International who came from places like Belgium, the Czech Republic and Israel. I can honestly say that the time I spent with them during my travels last summer, was the best summer I have ever had. If you ever thought about going to Japan, I highly recommend going with World Campus International.

More people that are excited to meet new people and have fun!
Daniel

The second timer

So this year (2017) I joined WCI Japan again, and I can honestly say that I had an even better experience than last time. So many fun and interesting people made the weeks fly by as if it was an instant. Some of my best friends I've made because of world campus. With crazy Czechs, Colombian pranksters and comedic Americans you will do daily activities like the field trips back from school days. Classical Japanese artforms like Kyudo, Taiko and Kendo, visiting schools from elementary all the way up to university, wandering deep into bamboo forests, shrines and temples left, right and center- it is a hands on curriculum for sure. Doesn't that sound great?- I tell you it is.

If you choose to join, you will enlarge your family- there is no denying it. I still keep in touch with my host families and I do get that warm feeling inside when I think of my time spent with World Campus International Japan. Finally a word of warning though. The culinary explosion of deliciousness on your pallet during your stay, might cause an addiction. For me it is soba, and I can tell you it is hard to find good soba in Sweden. //Daniel

Tito

A Fantastic Experience

I came across this program by searching for programs in Japan on the internet, and i'm glad that i found this.
It was my first time ever going abroad by myself so i was a bit nervous but also excited. This Program is packed full of activities to do so you will never be bored and it also have personal days which lets you just explore Japan at your own leisure.
This Program really puts you out of you comfort zone and really changes you (for the better) by giving you new experiences and views of Japan and world. This program is also great for making friends from around the world as the other participants are all from different countrys from like Sweden, USA, Israel etc... and you can learn more about their countries and find you things you never knew about (which can either confirm or debunk stereotypes you had about them).
I would say the best thing about this program, i would say is the host families as they are amazing and make you feel like you are apart of the family and honesty you will probably cry (or close to it) as i did when you have to leave them though thankfully for the internet, i can keep in touch with them.
If you're thinking about going to Japan but not sure what to do, I recommend this program, believe me you wont regret it and also you don't need to speak Japanese whats so ever( but it helps).

If possible, more time to spend with the host families or see if you can include them more into the activities.
Sabine

Japan of the Japanese

I came into contact with this program through an alumni of World Campus Japan who had joined the previous year and although she told me incredible stories, it couldn't compare to experiencing it myself for me. There are multiple things that make this program so special for me. The group, the host families and also the activities all contributed to making my participation making a very unique experience and I will tell a little bit about each of them.

First of all, the host families. Every host family will take you as part of their family for one week and also after that. They are excited to learn about you, your country and customs and also are very willing to share theirs. You become part of their family. Even now I still keep in touch with the families I stayed with.
Next a little bit about the activities. Not every activity might sound as interesting as some others, but there’s a lot of variation and if you put in a little effort, it will pay back double. For every activity, there are people that made efforts to organize something worthwhile and will be an unique experience and they are incredibly fun and sometimes also very educational. Having activities daily for 3 weeks does sound very tiring, but every week there will be a day you’ll spend with your host family and a free day off where you can decide on your own how to spend it.
Then a little bit about the group. When I joined the program in the 3rd session, it started out as a group of fellow participants from different countries. Over the course of 3 weeks I learned a lot about them, their respective countries and I now call most of them my friends. During the program you spend a lot of time with these people and naturally you’ll get along better with some, but after I got back home, I missed every one of them.

One session is 3 weeks with a group of people you barely know at the beginning, and at least 3 different host families, the program is packed full of activities, but it doesn’t get tiresome at all. The people you’ll meet are very nice and usually like-minded people. This program asks you to give a little bit of yourself, but you’ll definitely be rewarded with one of the most unique inside experiences to Japan. And the chance of keeping in contact with AT LEAST one person who lives outside your country are incredibly high.

Thinking back on my experiences, there is not a single thing I can think of right now that can be improved.
Michael

Experiencing another way of Life

Hi,
This Programm is all about showing people Japan and showing Japanese other people. It's a simple way of experiencing the Japanese and their lifestyle, that being living with them. If you are looking for a Programm in which you will
- Learn about Japan & the Japanese people
- Learn about their culture
- Experience Japanese Festivals
( - Go To JAPAN!)
- Eat many kinds of Foods (The Host-Families try very hard - it's almst all delicious)
(*cough* Nato *cough*)
- Get to know many People
- etc.

Then you should consider checking out the Webpage for Details.

If you struggle with Embarrassing situations, Too many new people or are a very untrusting person AND are not ready enough to try to fix those things then you may end up in some unenjoyable situations. However the Staff are there to help and they ensure a safe environment where all things that do not cause physical damage to simply be laughed off. (I ran into a lot of such ... special situations ... i got the nickname Anime Protagonist ... )

The main things i gained from this Programm are:
- A great Holiday with a lot of Fun with new Friends around the Globe
- Places in Japan i can call home
- Pictures to remember
- I matured a lot as a person (i used to think americans were fools - after meting some i thought they werent actually all that bad ... then Trump happened so yeah)(point is i learned that "American A" is not the same as "American B")
- I am confidant i could now survie in Japan on my own - nowhere close enough to "Live" there but i have learnt enough to survive there ... probably

Conclusion:
I recommend this to Everyne who A. has some spare money B. has an interest in Japan and C. wants to grow as a person
I do not recommend it to those who are A. very easily Tired B. extremly shy or C. can't handle making a leap of Faith (cause you travel alone to another country and that can be scary) However if you think that these do apply to you and you want to try this programm anyways try contacting WCI and the Staff will do their best to support you.

I spoke directly with the CEO about my thoughts since he is a very open minded person. But i will post some of my comments here anyways.

I recommended some outdoor Orientation activities and maybe some Locked room games.

We were in Nara for one (of my 8) weeks and i felt that the Nature aspect wasnt appealed to enough and that simply walking around might have been better than some activities. Though some Participants are sure to think the opposite. As a Swiss person i'm used to a lot of Walking in the Mountains/Nature so maybe my opinion is biased?
Daniel

A Great Experience

So I had a great time in Japan and it turned out that this program fitted me perfectly. For the last year before participating I've studied Japanese and it was a good way to put it into practice. The program doesn't require any knowledge in the language but if you do, or want to do you will get a lot of opportunities to practise while taking part in great communities. Anything from learning how to cook Japanese omelett to cutting bamboo in the forest. Weather you want to visit every shrine in sight or just want to stay around a camp fire with your host family and their friends, -turning into a dance party, this program is simply put full of opportunities and it is great. It is a great moral boost to be surrounded by 40 school children calling out your name. And the best part, except for all the nice people and delicious food, the only thing that is required from you is that you are decent and have an interest, how great isn't that? :D

The only downside to this program is that after weeks you will have to leave your family (not your host family but family- period) and friends. Thank ... what ever or whomever you want to thank, for the internet so that you could keep in touch. Loved it!

Even more nice people ;D
Ana

The most exciting experience of my life

World Campus Japan really was one of the most intense and fun experiences of my life. I got to be with an international group and to know Japan not from the point of view of a tourist, but as a member of a local community. Living with host families really makes you emerge in the japanese culture, and learn all the aspects of it.

But more than that, WCI - Japan taught me that one to one, we can change the world. It showed me how great it was to get out of my comfort zone, try new things and help people. It showed me how great it was to mix with other people with diferent cultures and how much we can learn from it. We interacted with so many people and touched so many hearts... I was overwhelmed when it was over. It was a lifetime experience.

I totally recomend it :)

Mary

Best time of my life! Great friends and experiences

I never expected that the host family experience would be so great - was just thinking it would hamper our social time - but I have made friends for life! Staying with local families is THE way to see a place and really learn about life there. Hostels / hotels are the same around the world but a family home gives you safety and an insight to the traditions & customs of that culture.

The experience of students / participants from many other countries was great - I felt that not only did I travel to and learn about Japan - but so many other countries - I know I will travel to meet those close new friends in their home countries one day - have plans to already!

working together with local communities was not only a team effort, hands on learning and very rewarding but gave me confidence to begin a new career path. Overall this is a life changing and wonderful experience in a safe structured environment but yet with room to grow and find yourself!

Anders

Loved It!

I went on World Campus the summer of 2009, right before my exchange in Japan, the first time I would be living there, getting me great contacts and a chance to trial-by-fire. World Campus gave me a great opportunity to ease myself into it, while meeting some amazing people and getting to do things that make my friends jealous to this day. The chance to live in multiple Japanese households really gives you a unique perspective on life in Japan, really appreciating the local nuances inside what can seem a homogenous culture. Plus, they know all the cool places in their area that the guidebooks don't tell you about, like the ninja castle in Iga, not to mention the second-only-to-kobe-beef Iga beef! It was great for my Japanese as well, as class can only prepare you for a certain amount, especially the more natural Japanese you hear and use at home. The only negative was that I went for a month and a half (a half program back then) and people went a bit stir-crazy with all the events and planned stuff, but they do a great job in preparing you for that as well as reducing the length of the programs a bit. The two days off a week also really help :-) All in all, World Campus was a memorable experience for me and I highly recommend it to anyone who has the chance to go!

Scalemx

Discover yourself in Japan!

The program was a great opportunity for me to go to Japan. I had studied a lot about it and I wanted to visit, but I wanted more than just travel. The program took care of the travel and arranged host families for me (great people, great experiences), while I could concentrate on learning Japanese, Japanese culture and society. I also made friends all over the world on top of that.
I eat all food so I didn't have any complaints, on the other hand it was the opposite the host families wanted to give me special food, but because I eat everything I didn't know what to tell them I liked.(there were vegetarians on the program)
The program allowed me to access places that I could never have accessed on my own and learned me much about Japan. On the other hand, one also learns about one's own country, because of all the questions from fellow participants and Japanese people.
Japan was magnificent, but also exhausting. The events themselves and the community interaction were quite agreeable, but instead of coming home and relaxing on the computer, the host family wants to entertain you and take care of you and so on, which makes every day very very full. But also very fun, of course. ;)
What to take on this program:
-Excitement
-stuff from your country (should have brought more)
-An open mind towards other cultures
-A good night's rest before the program starts
-Some money for drinks in summer (Japan is hot) and other stuff you'd like to buy
-English skills (well if you can read this you'll probably be fine)
-Smiles, lots of smiles

faux_travels

No Turning Back

I have to say that the experience I had with World Campus was one of the best, most influential experiences of my life! Not only did I get to see the vast beauty of Japan, I was able to experience the dynamic interplay of the city verses the country, witness festivals, religious temples, assist with community-building and noodle making--you name it! Not only that, but I was able to learn and interact with people from all over the world, be immersed in the language, and discover just how small (or if you think about it, how big/different) our world really is. I would recommend this program to anyone who is really looking to get something out of a summer adventure, who wants to make an impact in the lives of everyone they encounter, AND who wants to experience what it really means to visit and possibly become a part of Japan.

dayna74

AMAZING program!!!

I cannot imagine any better way to experience Japan. This program really focuses on learning about the culture, coming from the amazing host families and many opportunities to interact in the community. More than that, you meet participants from all over the world, and become part of a global community that continues long after the program is over. It has been two years since I participated, and I can still say that it has been the most influential experience of my life. Give this program a close look... you won't regret it!

About World Campus International

World Campus International organizes short term programs in Japan for students aged 17 and up. Programs can be done independently of each other or in conjunction, making your Japanese studies flexible to your needs, goals, and budget. Study Japanese...