IES Abroad Tokyo - Language & Culture

Whether you’re people watching in the hip Shibuya neighborhood, visiting Asakusa temple, or exploring Okinawa on a course-related excursion, your semester in Tokyo will be a whirlwind of adventure. As you explore your host city, Tokyo will become your classroom.

Expand your understanding of Japan with our Language & Culture Program by immersing yourself in contemporary Japan and Japanese culture. When you study abroad in Tokyo, you will take a 6-credit language course specially designed for IES Abroad students, taught at Kanda University of International Studies (KUIS), plus area studies courses taught in English.
Now is your chance to live and learn in one of the world’s most famous cultural metropolises.

Start your adventure with IES Abroad today.

As for the weekly schedule, I was in the language intensive program, not the language and culture program, so it may be slightly different. In addition, I was in the program in Fall of 2012, so it may very well be different now. The weekly schedule with a host family was like this: Japanese language class from 9 am to 12 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday Classes in the evening on...

Guy

An Amazing Experience!

Studying abroad is such a unique experience, and I feel like I was able to get the most out of my time by studying through IES. The program staff in Japan were fantastic, and they held regular events to help us explore the local area and culture. These included trips to nearby cultural or historical landmarks, such as the big Buddha statue in Kamakura or the shrines in Asakusa, as well as kabuki theater and a glass-blowing shop where we made our own Japanese-style wind chimes. I definitely recommend participating in as many of these and similar events as you can.
The school I attended, Kanda University of International studies (KUIS) or 神田外語大学, was also special and helped my time in Japan be as amazing as it was. As a foreign language school, everyone at KUIS is required to study English. While the majority of students are of course not yet fluent, this meant that they were overall more comfortable in speaking English and, more importantly, more eager to interact with overseas students and make international friends. I came in with several years of Japanese study already under my belt, and improving my language skills was probably the biggest reason I decided to study in Japan. I was very glad to attend a school where everyone was excited to talk to me and would be more than happy to help me with my Japanese when requested. I was easily able to make many close friends who I still keep in touch with.
In terms of housing options, we could either do homestay or live in a dorm or an apartment. Students were on average probably 45-60 minutes away from the school via train and walking or biking; this commute was a little tiring every day, but that's not too bad for Japan, and you get used to it. I personally lived in the apartments, and I really enjoyed it. It gave me more freedom than the dorms or homestay (I didn't have a curfew, for instance), and it gave me the chance to cook more and explore the local cuisine rather than being on a meal plan in a dorm. I had a single, with two other people (local Japanese people) living in the same apartment, but they mostly kept to themselves so it honestly felt like I was living alone sometimes. This was nice at times, but I had also hoped to be able to talk with them more and become friends. From talking to my other friends living in the apartments, this seemed to be a somewhat common experience.
My main complaint about the program would be the classes; in particular, the three-hour lecture-based classes were often tedious, and I felt like most of the classes didn't cover their topics as deeply as I would have liked. The required Japanese language course was an exception - I improved my language skills a lot, and the teacher was extremely helpful. I wish we had learned a bit more kanji, but the class focused on mostly grammar, vocab, and speaking, which, in my opinion, are probably the most important aspects of learning Japanese. Other classes could be boring at times, but the workload was very manageable and left plenty of time to enjoy the local culture.
Overall, my study abroad experience in Japan was definitely the best time I have ever had in my life, and I would recommend it to anyone.

It could offer a wider range of courses (such as some that focus on STEM subjects) and revise some of the existing ones to make them more engaging.
Matthew

Thankful for IES Tokyo

A big goal in life of mine was to visit Japan and I'm so proud I can say I accomplished that by the age 20. I've been interested in Japanese culture since I was five years old. One day in the summer of 2017 I was watching random videos on Youtube and I found IES Abroad Tokyo's youtube channel and that one video made me immediatly apply to the program. I did more research online and each time this program sounded more amazing after each article.

The flight to Japan was nerve-racking and I was honestly scared, but as soon as we landed at the airport and met the IES staff, other students, and E-Pals (our online Japanese student pen pal) I immediately felt at home. Everyone was so welcoming and easy to talk too. We studied at Kanda University of International Studies which its students primarily focus on different languages, but English is a requirement to enter. So it was extremely easy to make new friends and be an active member on campus by joining clubs. The Japanese course that was mandatory for us to take actually helped so much I was able to utilize the language in less than two weeks of starting classes. IES Abroad took us on various cultural excursions we flew to the island Okinawa for 4 days and got to participate in activities that a normal tourist would not be able to do. We even met up with students at Meio University for a couple of hours and we all bonded and added each other on social media. We visited Kamakura which is known for it's temples and shrines, and we got to go to various locations in Tokyo! I'll forever be thankful for this program, because I know If I didn't participate in this program I would've not been able to do any of this.

I feel like the academics weren't as engaging as I thought they were going to be. Reading the syllabus before even applying to the program I was super excited for some of the courses, but 2 weeks into the program I felt disengaged and some of the professors teaching styles didn't help make things better.
Fayola

My Time in Tokyo, Japan

From March to July of 2018, I had the opportunity to live abroad in Tokyo, Japan. I studied Anthropology and Sociology through IES Abroad's Tokyo Language and Culture program. IES Abroad's program was not only academically stimulating, culturally relevant and engaging. From the beginning of the application process, to my last day in Japan, the IES staff were extremely helpful in providing information and resources to prepare for an amazing semester. The Tokyo study abroad center itself felt almost like a second home. All of the staff were extremely kind, welcoming and even went out of their way to help me explore my interests in Japan. For example, I knew I wanted to explore popular culture, particularly fashion. With the help of the staff I was able to gain some information about different neighborhoods in Tokyo that were popular shopping districts . The staff also organized a number of opportunities to travel which were both interesting and financially feasible. I had the opportunity to travel to Okinawa and Kamakura, two places I wouldn't have considered visiting on my own. In regards to academics, the class offerings were diverse and interesting, and I had equal opportunity to enroll in classes through the local university as well. Kanda University, the partner institution was not only aesthetically beautiful, but there were also a number of resources (like free printing) that helped my succeed academically. The Japanese course I took through Kanda was challenging but I can very much say that my Japanese skills improved immensely over the course of 3 months. Overall, if you're looking for a supportive, engaging, and challenging experience I definitely recommend IES Abroad. There was a clear balance of academic rigor but also extracurricular fun and engagement.

Haley

Nihon, Lets Go!

When I travelled abroad with IES abroad, I was surprised by all the support I received once I got there. The heads of my program were so kind and helpful in every aspect, from helping me figure out my phone situation and just in general making sure we were all doing well as we travelled abroad. The events and trips that they planned were top notch. Some folks argued that it was too overplanned for their liking, but they managed to squeeze so much fun into the few days we had in Okinawa or the time we had in Asakusa that it was worth it! And even then, there was still plenty of time available for personal travel. The classes weren't too intense--the ones taught by IES were deliberately made intensive to meet the standards of a typical US classroom, whereas the classes taught at Kanda were pretty lenient. I enjoyed most of my professors all the same, short of the one who was teaching Japanese Architecture as if she were teaching it to architecture majors who had already spent years studying it and didn't necessarily grade fairly from student to student. Manga and Animation was my favorite course, simply because it actually did what many of my major courses lacked--taught some of the basics and histories, then let you utilize those aspects to analyze manga and anime of your own choosing! It was definitely a class where you got out of it what you put in, so I ended up really learning a lot in the end. The professor is also very passionate about it :)

Overall, I absolutely loved my time there, and I can't wait to stop by and say hello next time I make it back to Japan!

I'd say probably just recognize when students have complaints about an instructor. This is something all institutions could stand to do, though, international or national. If enough people are having the same complaint, then perhaps it's on the instructor, not the students.
Allen

Thank You, IES Tokyo!

Looking back on my fall semester abroad (Fall 2017), I feel so grateful to have studied abroad through IES Tokyo specifically. The staff did an excellent job building community among our cohort, and I am leaving with life-long friendships because of it. Moreover, the trips throughout Japan--beyond the general Tokyo area--were so much fun.

In addition, I was able to gain real-world experience and improve my resume through the Field Placement program. My placement at the Self-Access Learning Center gave me a window into the workspace of an international Japanese institution--unlike a traditional Japanese workspace, everyone here spoke English which provided for a unique and eye-opening placement.

Wider range of academic offerings.
Clearer transparency of professors--who they are, what their specialty is, what their teaching style is, reviews from former participants, etc.
Samekh

From U.S to Japan; a Travel Worth mentioning

Japan was everything I could want and more. There never was a dull moment in the four months while I was there and the staff, without a doubt, was one of the many reasons why I loved my experience abroad. It was first time ever leaving the country and despite that, I was never afraid! The staff became like a home away from home and all the friends I made helped to make me feel welcomed and never lonely. I would go again in a heartbeat if I could. I wake up every day and I miss being in Japan. I miss traveling by the trains, ordering udon and takoyaki, I miss coming back to my homestay and speaking Japanese to my homestay parents. Leaving with "Ittekimasu!" coming home and saying "tadaima" and hearing "okaerinasai". It's the small moments that stick with the most like that.

I highly recommend more cultural field trips. I loved going to the ones provided and learning from them all, but also being able to actively participate and enjoy myself was a great bonus.
Julia

My Semester in Japan

I spent a semester studying abroad in Japan and I had a wonderful time. Although advertised as being in Tokyo, the university and housing were actually located at least an hour outside of the city. This was the one thing about the program that I found disappointing. I was still able to go into the city every weekend and many weekdays, but it made it more difficult. However, I know some people enjoyed being a little outside of the city.
The highlights of the experience were the IES staff and the university. The staff went out of their way to help every student have a great experience in Japan, from helping with ordering concert tickets to recommending food tours. They also set up the E-Pal program with KUIS, the partner university. This matched each IES student with a KUIS student before the program started and was a great way to make friends. Many of the students at KUIS study English and are interested in foreign cultures, so there was a really nice exchange. The emphasis on friendships with the Japanese students was a highlight of the program and certainly helped my language skills improve. There was also a student government made up of IES students and E-Pals. They organized events. I thought this was a good idea, however the students who ran it while I was there didn't put in very much effort, and it seemed that all the students missed out on some opportunities as a result.
The academics on the program were not challenging and sometimes not particularly engaging. The language classes were well taught and interesting, but some of the other teachers for the IES courses didn't seem particularly qualified to be teaching their subject. This was a little frustrating, but in the end I was glad to have the extra time to explore in Tokyo.
Overall, I really loved my experience in Japan. The commute into the city and the academics were disappointments, but in the end the friendships I made with students at KUIS made up for the location, and the time I spent exploring in Japan made up for the academics.

Marissa

Learn More About Japanese Culture Than You Could Ever Imagine!

Going into my undergraduate career, I knew I wanted to study abroad. My original intention was to go somewhere in Europe, since at the time I was quite the Anglophile. But I ultimately decided to study in Japan to learn more about my cultural heritage. Having grown up in a white household and in a predominantly white suburb, I didn’t know much about Japanese culture at all. IES Abroad Tokyo certainly changed that!

There’s no good way to explain how studying abroad in Tokyo changed me. I am a pre-med student, and my academic life at my home institution is very rigorous and extremely challenging. In truth, I was pretty unhappy during my first three years in college, mostly due to how cutthroat life is on my campus. Being removed from that scene really changed my outlook on life, and helped me to become a happier and mentally healthier person. A lot of this has to do with the way the program is set up socially. There is a deep sense of community in IES Tokyo. The staff is so helpful and they make the IES Center feel like your “home away from home.” They can give advice on almost every aspect of life and really get to know each of the students personally. The staff does a wonderful job of pairing each student with a Japanese e-pal, a friend who you will get to know and will spend time with you throughout your stay (not just during the first couple of weeks). They also do a great job of choosing host families, if you apply for one. I did find that the academics are not as challenging as I thought they would be. While I did learn a decent amount of Japanese, I found that I was not very well prepared for taking Japanese at my home institution. With that being said, I did learn a lot about Japanese culture. The field placement program is also hit-or-miss. I was pretty satisfied with my placement (they do their best to match your interests with the job site); however, I wish I could have done more to help my placement, and I almost felt like a burden to work flow when I was there.

Seeing lots of Japan was no issue at all. I travelled into the center Tokyo at least 5 days a week. (I actually lived in Tokyo, unlike most of my peers who lived in Chiba, where Kanda University is located). I was constantly exploring and enjoying the food scene. There was never a shortage of things to do and see (there are many events going on in the city all the time, and the IES Center staff can really help you out finding what to do!). We were also able to travel around Japan, since the program includes a couple of trips to other Japanese cities. The staff is also really helpful in planning independent trips.

Overall this was a wonderful experience and I couldn’t ask for anything better!

The academics could be more rigorous, especially Japanese language (I was in Level 1 Japanese, since I had no prior experience with the language). I also think that the field placement program could be improved, since I didn't feel that I really helped my site very much.
Kellen

The Tale of Autumn 2016: An Unforgettable Adventure in Japan

I made the choice to study abroad long before I entered college. I was fortunate enough to have some international experience growing up; I genuinely felt like I knew what I was getting myself. I was so wrong. Turns’ out, living in another country for 4 months is a lot different than sightseeing around Paris or Machu Picchu. It’s better. As a tourist, you miss everything that isn’t on the front page of the guidebook. Cool, you took a selfie in front of the Eiffel Tower and posted it with a different caption on four social media sites. 7 million people visit the Eiffel Tower every year, and nearly all of them take the picture. It isn’t special anymore; it’s a humble brag. I’ve been to the Eiffel Tower; it gave me a few minutes of happiness, which at the time, I believed was because I went on this foreign excursion where I learned so much about France. Or something like that. Anyway, what you miss is people. Tourists don't make friends. How can you? If you only have 7 days and can’t speak a word of the language, meaningful relationships can’t be built. My time in Japan isn’t memorable because I went to Tokyo Tower, Tsukiji fish market, Sky Tree, Kyoto, Osaka or Hiroshima. It’s memorable because of who I spent that time with.
My only reason for choosing Japan rode along the lines of “I’ve never been anywhere in Asia. I’ll go somewhere there!” From that, I applied for IES Tokyo. I knew surprisingly little about Japan before getting there. Many IES Tokyo students are Anime/Manga fans and cited that as the reason they came. Don’t worry, there’s a lot more in Japan than cartoons. IES Tokyo has an E-Pal program where they assign a local student from KUIS to help you in your transition. They are mostly English/International business majors, who speak English if you have no Japanese skills. The E-Pals in Autumn 2016 were wonderful. They aren’t being paid; they are there for the cultural exchange and the opportunity to meet foreign students. Don’t even consider not signing up for it, it’s the single best thing about IES Tokyo. The first two weeks you spend a lot of time as a big group of IES/E-Pal, and during this time, I started so many unforgettable friendships with not only my E-pal, but many others too. You’re going to Japan for cultural exchange; so do it! Take a genuine curiosity in your new friends, and just maybe you will find that they are also interested in who you are.
Japan itself is a fantastic country, you’ll get used to it fast. Use your Japanese skills, and you will find that Japan is accessible, customer-service oriented, and efficient. Almost everything is a tad different than we are used to in western countries, which is a good chance to do some cultural reflecting as to why that is. Broaden your mind! Also, Japan is safe. So safe, that if you lost your wallet, a Japanese person will run down the street to return it to you. Venturing out at night and feeling safe is something we don't have in the United States.
IES Tokyo is actually in Chiba, not Tokyo. Please be aware of this if you think you’re going to be living in Shibuya or something. That said Chiba is great! The dormitories are somewhat central between KUIS and Tokyo station, and many homestays are too. I lived in Ichikawa-Shi with a wonderful host family in a very central location. Most students were in homestays, and all recommended it. IES has a great pool of host families they use, so take advantage of that! Your host family is there to be your family, try to be close to them because they care a lot about you. I spent countless hours chatting with my host mother after dinners, I learned so much just by talking. Many older Japanese people have different worldviews than your peers at KUIS, so take advantage! The staff at IES Tokyo is wonderful. They are kind, helpful and knowledgeable if you need anything. Need a doctor? Ask the staff! Lose your glasses? Ask the staff! Mail a letter, feeling homesick or need to know the best ramen shop in Tokyo? Ask!
Caleb (IES Tokyo director) told me of what he called the “magic” of studying abroad. When IES students and E-Pals come together, it creates an atmosphere so amazing, he could only call it magic. I couldn’t agree more. It’s impossible to recreate, you need to live it yourself. When I first arrived in Japan, I told myself that this would be my only chance to be here, to take advantage and have fun. I’ve never returned to a country before because I like to see new places. Japan blew that out the window. I can’t imagine not going back now. Saying goodbye hurt a lot, which made the last day at the airport even worse. I was not ready to leave.. My story in Japan isn’t over yet. Actually, it’s just getting started. Take a chance on IES Tokyo, and it might change you. See you soon.
Kellen

Naomi

Prepared Me Professionally

I studied abroad in the fall of 2016 with this program and chose to live in a dorm. I had been to Japan before several times and had previously done an internship, but this was my first time combining both of those experiences being a student living on her own while studying Japanese. My favorite part of this experience was participating in the field placement where you get to experience working in a Japanese company for once a week throughout the semester. Although it is not quite like an internship, you get exposed to Japanese business cultures so it was a very invaluable experience for me. My goal coming to this program was to obviously improve my Japanese skill and become fully proficient, but unfortunately I did not meet my goal. This university you will be integrating yourself with is a foreign language school, so most of the students speak English fairly well if not fluent. In addition, all of your classes except the language one will be taught in English, so you really have to take the initiative to practice Japanese. Many people did improve and I myself was able to challenge my Japanese skill, particularly by taking the challenge of presenting more advanced topics in Japanese for the first time. I'm glad I got to study abroad on this program and I can't wait until the day I get to return.

The Japanese classes are challenging because there are only four levels, but within the levels there is a big difference between people's skill. For example, within my class there were people who only studied a few years to people who had studied for 7+. Although this can't be helped, it is sometimes hard to keep the integrity of the class by saying everyone must only speak Japanese so that everyone can improve, if the majority just cannot do it because of the great divergence of level. Still was a very good class and I learned a lot from the other students.
Emily

Great support and awesome program

My time in Tokyo was only enhanced by the support and experiences provided by IES. A (very negative) person that I used to know would always dismiss study abroad programs or touristy guides, saying that you can always go out and do these things yourself for free. His point was disproved by the way that IES has blown me away with their field trips, assistance, and integration into the host city that simply wouldn't have been available if I'd "gone out and done it by myself." The cost of IES is completely worth every penny, because there's no way to go to Tokyo and have the incredible experience that I and many others have had without their planning and readiness to assist. The academics were good, the integration into Kanda University (the school where you take the required Japanese courses) was incredible (re: the e-pal program; highly recommended), and the extracurriculars like field trips and guest lectures were above par. I can't recommend IES enough.

A lot of my peers who had previously taken Japanese courses (I hadn't because they weren't offered at my school) felt that the Japanese courses offered by IES weren't nearly as challenging as the ones offered at their universities. For some, this was a relief, but for those who came to Japan to learn the language, there was a bit of disappointment. Also, a lot of the students at KUIS speak English so if you want to really practice the language you have to go out of your way to find someone who either doesn't speak English or is willing to help with your Japanese.
Melanie

My Semester in Tokyo

I had a fantastic time with IES Abroad in Tokyo, Japan. First of all, the location of the program was exactly what I'd been hoping for during my semester abroad. The IES Tokyo program is largely conducted in Chiba, Japan, the prefecture (like states in America) next to Tokyo, which was an ideal location in my opinion. Chiba is very comparable to Long Island, NY in that it is by the water, and a slower-paced residential area only an hour away (by first-rate public transportation) from one of the largest and brightest metropolises in the world. So you can go into Tokyo for the day by train, enjoy the city, and leave the bustle and fast-pace as you return to your quiet and welcoming town to rest after an action-packed day in the big city.
As for a unique experience that I had, I'd definitely like to mention the field trip to Kanazawa offered by IES Abroad. As a group of about 15 students we traveled on the world-famous Shinkansen (bullet train) up north to a city called Kanazawa, famous for its fresh seafood and gold production. After touring a beautiful city that had much historical charm preserved, we spent the night and went to an idyllic village called Shirakawa-go. The scenery was something out of a movie. It was brimming with stunning scenery and rustic charm, and I felt that I had been transported hundreds of years back in time. The feeling of walking around the town was indescribable, so I've attached 3 pictures that I took while there. On that day it was rainy and foggy, so the pictures are not crystal clear, but I think the beauty of Shirakawa-go can be seen just fine.

I would include more classes taught in Japanese. I am a mid to advanced level Japanese speaker (I've been studying since middle school) and while there were classes offered completely in Japanese, they were only 2 credits, and my home institution only accepts 3 credit courses to be applicable towards a major, so I had to take mostly English language courses. Of course this is unique to my study abroad objectives, as many students in my program came from backgrounds with no formal Japanese instruction and appreciated the English language classes very much.
Gabrielle

IES Abroad Tokyo - Learn and Immerse Yourself in Japanese Culture

My study abroad through the IES program was an amazing experience. From the beginning, IES Chicago and Tokyo sent regular emails, regarding all predeparture information and tips. If you choose to do so, there is also an E-pal program through IES and the university you'll attend in Japan, which lets you get in touch with a Japanese student before arriving. This makes for an easier transition into school and friend-life once in Japan- and something I highly recommend! My home stay family was caring and supportive, which helped greatly with immersing myself within the culture and to develop language skills. Academics aren't exactly difficult, but some classes may take more time than others. Most importantly, choose a Japanese course that's a good fit for you, so you can learn the language well enough to have fun! No matter what you take in school- there is plenty of time to explore, go on IES sponsored trips, and participate in your own interests (nightlife, shopping, touring, etc.). But make sure to take time to immerse yourself in the culture individually as well, and go out there! IES does a great job guiding you, as well as giving you freedom.

Give more detailed course descriptions before having to sign up for classes.
Andy

Lifetime Friends and Experiences

Study abroad is an eye-opening experience. Japan is an amazing place to study abroad. The culture is different from America but after a week or two you will adapt to it. Coming to this program I wanted to make Japanese friends and hang out with them, what happened during the program went way beyond my expectations. The Japanese are very nice and eager to learn English and speak English with you so it was so easy to make friends and go to different places with them in Tokyo. Tokyo is a large city with many beautiful places where you can go meet and hang out. The amount of parks within this metropolitan city is very surprising. They take care of their trash and keep the city clean unlike many US cities where there is litter all over the place.

With the program, there is more than just Tokyo. You have a week where you can travel with your friends to anywhere within Japan since everyone has break. The program also includes trips to other famous cities where you might not even think of like Kanazawa and Nikko. Even though Japan is small the different areas have different specialties.

In the end, study abroad is about having fun, making friends, and lifelong experiences. You have to be self motivated to explore all of Japan and create these memorable experiences for yourself. In the beginning it may seem like you have 4 months but it flies by when you have amazing friends by your side.

We had to take care of some legal business by ourselves even though we did not understand Japanese that well. The program could have a day where they took us to the office and help us take care of it.
Clark

Dream come true.

Any organization is going to succeed or fail because of its people. At IES Abroad Tokyo, the people are experienced, motivated and more than willing to enhance the study abroad experience. I went to Japan for the semester in April of 2013. Before I arrived in-country, IES provided an E-pal that contacted me through facebook which allowed me to ask questions and have a friend upon arrival. Right as I got into Narita airport, the IES staff was there to help. From the moment I was in Japan, IES was there to help. This became a re-curing theme as anytime I or anybody else in the group had trouble, IES was there. The staff there understands, seriously, they get it. From presentations and small little group activities I was able to learn and bond with my fellow students. Once school started I developed a routine and just tried as much as possible to immerse myself in the culture. The academic program is great, the extra-curricular programs even better. Ultimately everyone in my group that wanted to return to Japan to teach or live did. As I write this I am preparing to move to Okinawa and I can't wait. Ultimately, your study abroad experience is what you put into it. You'll find that human beings don't differ too much from one another. The relationships and experiences we foster with one another define who we are. I can't thank IES Abroad Tokyo enough.

Kick us out of the Yellow Sofa area. That was my crutch.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...