Learn about the Middle East’s politics, shifting power configurations, and efforts to promote peace and global security from Jordan, a peace broker in the region.
Over the last two decades, the Middle East experienced major events—from the 1994 Oslo Peace Treaty to the Arab Spring revolutions to the civil wars in Syria, Libya, and Yemen—that continue to reshape the geopolitical map of the region. As a peace broker in the region, Jordan provides an excellent site from which to study territorial conflict and state sovereignty, international intervention, and how geography’s effects on politics and international relations. You’ll learn about the dominant international relations paradigms in the Middle East and discuss reconciliation models with political scientists, diplomats, and policymakers. You’ll also consider the rise of ISIS and the role of Russia and the US in peacemaking in the Middle East.
- Study the Middle East’s complex history from Jordan’s capital, Amman.
- Go on excursions throughout Jordan and the United Arab Emirates.
- Advance your skills in Modern Standard Arabic.
- Experience daily life in Jordan during an extended homestay.
- Customize the program to meet your academic and career goals.