• Jordan
    • Amman
Term
Fall, Spring
Cultural Studies Gender Studies Global Studies Humanities International Business International Relations Middle Eastern Studies

Program Details

Accommodation Some Activities Airfare Meals SIM cards Visa
Jan 24, 2022
Jun 16, 2022
3 travelers are looking at this program

Learn about the Middle East’s politics, shifting power configurations, and efforts to promote peace and global security from Jordan, a peace broker in the region.

Over the last two decades, the Middle East experienced major events—from the 1994 Oslo Peace Treaty to the Arab Spring revolutions to the civil wars in Syria, Libya, and Yemen—that continue to reshape the geopolitical map of the region. As a peace broker in the region, Jordan provides an excellent site from which to study territorial conflict and state sovereignty, international intervention, and how geography’s effects on politics and international relations. You’ll learn about the dominant international relations paradigms in the Middle East and discuss reconciliation models with political scientists, diplomats, and policymakers. You’ll also consider the rise of ISIS and the role of Russia and the US in peacemaking in the Middle East.

Program Highlights

• Study the Middle East’s complex history from Jordan’s capital, Amman.
  • Go on excursions throughout Jordan and the United Arab Emirates.
  • Advance your skills in Modern Standard Arabic.
  • Experience daily life in Jordan during an extended homestay.
  • Customize the program to meet your academic and career goals.

SIT Robert Kantor Memorial Scholarship

Each year one student will be granted $10,000 in scholarship aid to study abroad with a SIT program. Funded by individual donors and foundations, the requirements are tight: seeking first-generation college students who've never traveled abroad before, currently attend an HBCU, and demonstrate strong financial need.

$10,000

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Dulcie

Studying Abroad in Jordan

This study abroad program is truly life changing an extremely unique experience. It incorporates the perfect balance between academics and free time. The homestay factor enriches the experience beyond measure, allowing students to really gain an understanding of Jordanian culture and practice Arabic. The food is amazing and there are plenty of American, Filipino, Italian and other restaurants in Amman if you need a break from local food. Jordanians are extremely welcoming to foreigners. The administration and staff are amazing; by the end of the program they all felt like old friends of mine. I definitely want to go back to Jordan after my study abroad experience!

Pros
  • Beautiful country
  • Amazing people
  • Arabic language acquisition
Cons
  • Daily cost of taxi/uber
  • Dealing with inappropriate taxi drivers(rare but happens)
Jeromel

Ahlan Amman!

The SIT Jordan was very formative for me. I have never travelled abroad apart from the time I moved to the United States in 2011. The SIT staff are very welcoming and hospitable, and I appreciate the academic rigor especially with Arabic language learning and the opportunity for students to do independent research or internship! From January to May, we got to go all over Jordan from the north to the south as well as have a one-week excursion in Istanbul, Turkiye. Our group became tight-knit. And each of us stayed with a host family who I keep in touch with after the program. I appreciate all of these opportunities in SIT Jordan that made for a transformative education experience!

Pros
  • Community
  • Arabic language learning
  • Opportunities for research and internship
Elaine

The best study abroad program!

I absolutely loved my time in Jordan! All of the staff were so friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable - I felt very comfortable reaching out to them for anything. The other students on my program were equally lovely and we all got so close by the end. Amman is amazing if you like exploring new cities, trying new foods, and meeting new people outside your program. I learned so much about Jordan, the program theme, and myself (both inside and outside the classroom). I highly recommend SIT Jordan if you're interested in study abroad!

waverly

One of the Best Decision I've ever made!!!

I was quite nervous with COVID-19 going on and everything going on, to the point were I deferred this program by a semester. I am so happy I had the opportunity to pursue this program. I feel that If I had done the typical study abroad, I would have not gained as much as I did. I was able to learn so much Arabic, because I was integrated into the program. I lived with a Jordanian family that but the end I considered my own. I was able to travel extensively through the region and better understand the people and issues in the region. I had struggle with Arabic and the support I had when I voiced those struggles was remarkable. I was given tutoring sessions to help me catch up. The staff truly become your family with how much they care about you. While education was important, the program made it integral that enjoying and our trips were also apart of our education. I'd go back in a second if I could.

Especially for programs like the, come with a open mind. Don't try to push your views on other and expect them to think the same.Don'y expect to teach anybody but to bed the one constantly learning. you open you mindset, then you can fully absorb. Don't be closed to anything, try all the foods and put the work. Don't resort to English but to Arabic even if you make mistake. Throw yourself out there even if you're nervous, embarrassed or feel this sense of imposter syndrome. Those feeling will go away, you just need time.
Emma

Incredible experience

Studying abroad in Jordan was an amazing experience that I will never forget. I learned so much about Middle Eastern culture and make lifelong friends. Living with a host family provided an immersive experience. Program staff were incredible and willing to help in any situation. One of my favorite parts of this program was the excursions to beautiful places throughout the country. I highly recommend this program to students interested in learning about international relations and becoming immersed in Jordanian culture.

One thing I would improve is the Arabic language classes. Although I learned a lot of Arabic, the classes tend to focus on MSA rather than the local dialect. I would have personally preferred to learn only the local dialect.
Leah

Life-changing program

My time in Jordan was unforgettable, and will probably be one of the best experiences of my entire life. I lived with an amazing homestay family, made life-lasting friendships, and went on so many amazing excursions. This is the best way to learn about international relations and Middle Eastern culture as a college student. Being completely immersed in every aspect of another culture in every single part of your life will change the way you view yourself, the world, and your own culture. My internship experience gave great insight into my future career plans. I cannot recommend SIT Jordan enough.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
So many things. Snorkeling in the coral reefs of Aqaba, seeing the world wonder of Petra, learning Arabic from my two year old host brother, funny taxi drivers, and so much more.
Nora

The Most Incredible Semester

SIT Jordan was an outstanding experience. From academics, to social life, to professional opportunities, I felt that SIT offered it all! Academically, I learned a great deal about the country and region from local lecturers, the perspective of SIT administrators, and course readings and discussions. I also improved my FusHa Arabic, and learned a lot of survival Aamiyah which was key during my internship. My cohort of 30 was unusually close, often opting to go out for lunches or nightlife in large groups, and spending a lot of our free time together.

SIT offered amazing excursions to Ajloun, Jerash, Petra, the UAE, and more! When outside of class, I felt completely immersed in Jordanian culture and loved every minute of it.

I had the opportunity to complete an internship as a teaching assistant, and that really improved my speaking skills and confidence, while also giving me a better idea about disability in the Jordanian context.

Amman is a vibrant, lively city with things to do on every corner. I explored Wasat al Balad, tried new foods, found hidden bars, and met locals who were always thrilled to speak with Americans. Jordanians are some of the loveliest, most kind-hearted people out there.

I would not want to have done my semester abroad anywhere else with any other study abroad provider.

Lean into every uncomfortable moment with all you've got! Use your Arabic, even if you're just spitting out single words, and expect the best from strangers around you. Don't be afraid to ask locals for help or questions because you just might make some new friends! And definitely seek out clubs or local organizations, like Amman Running or Shams Table.
Samara

The Experience of a Lifetime

I knew nothing about Middle Eastern culture except for the stereotypes Americans have towards Islamic culture. I wanted to change that. I want to dispel those stereotypes and gain a true understanding of the Middle East, and the best way to do so is by going there. My time in the SIT Geopolitics program was the perfect gateway to be exposed to such a beautiful region in the world. Unfortunately, our program was cut short from COVID-19, but I left Jordan with basic Arabic and an understanding of Jordanian culture. I know I will be back one day to continue learning and exploring such a wonderful country. I'm so thankful and highly recommend this program. (Excursion to UAE is quite fun as well).

I would improve the academic structure to make it slightly more rigorous. I learned a lot and enjoyed the leisure time to explore the city and connect with locals, but the greater the structure the better in my opinion.