IFR: Macedonia Field Schools - Stobi, Sozopol & more

The Institute for Field Research is excited to present two very special field programs based in Macedonia.

The famous and long-standing site of Stobi provides subject matter for both field programs.
The first, based in the site of Stobi itself, will include intense training in the photogrammetry of large architectural structures and other large features.

The second is a bi-national program (cross-posted. See Bulgaria listing.) The bi-national program will see students traveling between Stobi in Macedonia and Apollonia Pontica in Bulgaria for the purpose of learning the art of pottery and glass conservation, a vital skill for those who pursue a career in museum work.

Macedonia holds these unique and informative field school opportunities, so join us at the Institute for Field Research to gain these skills that will put you heads and shoulders above the rest!

• conservation
  • photogrammetry
  • pottery
  • bi-national
  • archaeology

Sterling

Macedonia: The Best Place You Never Heard Of

They offered experience with photogrammetry, total station, architectural sketching, and of course field experience. The instructors there are the best and love to teach you. You may get a little intimidated sometimes because some, especially the ones in the field, like to be precise. However, you will thank them later and appreciate that they want you to improve.

I also loved the part of seeing rest of the country. Part of the program enabled us to visit Bitola, Skopje, and my personal favorite, Ohrid. We also went to see the so-called Tomb of Philip's grave in Greece. I am so thankful that I picked this field school. It was just a fantastic experience. I still carry many of the memories with me and appreciate learning so much about a culture that is hardly ever if ever in the American news. But above all, I am thankful that I had the chance to meet so many great people from the country, especially at the dig site. You really get a taste of the country itself.

Make it longer!
Brittany

Great Opportunity to Explore History

As an archaeology student, the IFR field school at Stobi was a great experience for me because it gave me an opportunity to learn field skills, such as excavation and lab techniques, photogrammetry and surveying, field drawing, and proper documentation in a hands-on way. It was very gratifying to see the progress we had made in our field site over the four weeks that we worked there. It was definitely tough work! But the researchers and staff at Stobi are extremely knowledgeable, eager to help you, and fun. In addition to the research and skills aspect of the program, there are opportunities to explore Macedonia—a country I had never visited before—and to learn about both the region's ancient and modern history. If you're ready to work hard, sweat a lot, and learn a lot, this is a great program. I am very grateful I had the chance to participate in it both for the knowledge I gained but also for the relationships I made with my fellow students and the Stobi staff.

Kimberly

First time archaeology dig

This was my first experience with an archaeology dig, with no archaeology background. I remember the first few days digging I was thinking "what did I get myself into". It got easier, and I kept pestering my dig supervisor about concepts until I understood them, and he persisted until we both knew I understood what was going on. I learned a lot about what it is to be an archaeologist, and I learned a lot about myself too. There was a variety of people on the trip, I wish we had more time to have fun, but I was pretty tired most of the time. BUT I will NEVER forget my last night in Macedonia.

Maybe more team introduction in the beginning, like more "icebreaker" activities. Everyone was pretty reserved and I felt like they were standoffish in the beginning, I had a hard time getting to know people in the beginning.

About Institute for Field Research

The Institute for Field Research (IFR) was created in March 2011 by a group of leading academic archaeologists. Operating as an independent, nonprofit academic organization has allowed us to break down traditional institutional barriers and deliver...