Study Abroad Malaysia & China: International Relations and New Economies

boats in asia on river
boats in asia on river

Develop new perspectives on global economic integration and trade while studying in Malaysia, China, and Singapore or Indonesia.

Learn about the political dynamics and practices of global trade among ASEAN nations and in relation to China. You’ll meet with policy-makers, academics, global industry leaders, halal management practitioners, small- and large-scale enterprises, and individual entrepreneurs in Malaysia, China, and Singapore or Indonesia to learn about the policies and practices of global trade.

Travel to China and Singapore or Indonesia as you consider the future of international relations and global finance and banking in the growing financial centers of Southeast Asia.

• Learn about the policies and practices of global trade.
  • Attend an Islamic finance and banking workshop.
  • Travel to China and Singapore or Indonesia for excursions.
  • Consider ethics in banking and finance in a global context.
  • Choose to study either Malay or Chinese and live with families who speak the language you’re studying.

Jordan

A COVID-19 Semester Abroad

SIT Malaysia and China was an experience in watching how eastern principles develop a western, global economy. The development of my understanding of Islamic finance in a country that is paving the road for its use in the mainstream economy while still taking steps to integrate itself with regional economies was perhaps one of the most challenging yet engaging parts of my time on the program. The incorporation of China’s One Belt, One Road development strategy into the pedagogy of economic diplomacy and shifting trade networks made the program responsive to both Malaysia’s important role and that of the other nations within ASEAN. As an Economics major at a liberal arts school, the interdisciplinary approach to this Economics-forward coursework was so engaging.

Beyond the classroom, the abroad experience was amazing. Though the COVID-19 pandemic prevented the excursion to China from happening, we were able to plan different excursions to replace the lost experience, mostly at the insistence of the program director who was deeply committed to ensuring we had the experience we signed up for. On our visit to Penang, it became clear that our director was connected to many people in the country that could speak with us and expand our course offerings outside of the classroom; she was also never afraid to ask anyone we requested to join us.

The student support was great during the program and a lot of that was due in part to the swift actions taken when we would indicate any issue, regardless of severity. Perhaps the most fulfilling part of the program was the host family assignment which was delayed by a week so that our program staff could understand us a bit better then place us with the family that fit best. This worked perfectly because I loved my host family and am still in contact with them today.

There were eight students in my cohort including myself. It felt like the perfect size where we were able to know everyone around us without feeling like we were stuck. Living in Kuala Lumpur and attending classes at University Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) assisted in making sure that we did not feel stuck; only 30 minutes away by train from the city center, there were always opportunities for us to break off and explore on our own or with friends we made at our university. The UKM Global office assigned each of us a “student buddy” that could assist us with language but also with getting acquainted with the campus; this was an invaluable asset upon our arrival and many of them we each still call friends.

Overall, the theme of the program and its staff was that it was not unlike them to go above and beyond for us. Even as we were required to return home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we were kept in concern with daily messages and frequent video chats to help us complete our coursework.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Not traveling internationally during a global pandemic.
Robert

Unbeatable Experience

Unfortunately, my semester was canceled early due to COVID-19. But that doesn't mean that I still had a blast in Malaysia! The academics focus on international trade, language, and culture. For the language, I took Mandarin Chinese and took advantage of many opportunities to speak to the locals. Before registering for the program I was already interested in international trade and investments, so the program was a perfect fit. However, the most surprising part of the program was how immersed I became in the Malaysian culture. For most of the program, you are assigned a Malaysian family to stay with. My family taught me all about Malaysian food, customs, holidays, and traditions. Living with a family is the best way to be fully immersed in the culture.

But the program separates itself from others because of the way it prepares you for your post-college career. During the final month, everyone does an internship. The internship varies student to student depending on what you want for a career. Students had a variety of options to choose from such as trade councils, investment banks, oil companies, and many more. Malaysia was an unforgettable experience, and I would absolutely recommend this program to other students.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Take the initiative to make more Malaysian friends. I made plenty of friends while I was there, but it never hurts to make more!