Explore Social Justice and Community in Mexico

a large group of people pose in front of a mural painted on a wall
a large group of people pose in front of a mural painted on a wall
four young people pose by a lake with mountains in the background
four young people pose by a lake with mountains in the background
a group of students stands next to a hot grill while one woman shows tortilla technique
a man lays in a hammock with greenery around him
a man lays in a hammock with greenery around him

Study abroad in the beautiful and complex city of Cuernavaca! The "City of Eternal Spring" has been the home of Augsburg CGEE's longest-running study center for 40 years. All of our programs are experiential, rooted in social justice, and focus on direct community engagement. We weave real stories from people in Mexico to hear the lived realities and experiences of all types of peoples.
Students will stay with host families in the community and take classes in our study center and the Universal language school. Programs have multiple excursions built-in, including visits to rural areas (such as Amatlan, Ixtlilco El Grande), Mexico City, natural water parks, ancient pyramids, and more!
We also offer programs specialized for those majoring in:
*Social Work
*Communications, New Media, and Film
*Pre-Med/Health
*Spanish
*Women/Gender/Sexuality Studies
LGBTQ-friendly, vegetarian-friendly, and dry (no alcohol) home stays are all available upon request. Come engage in Mexico with us!

• Host family stays
  • Engagement with community
  • Focus on social justice
  • Excursions included
  • All levels of Spanish speakers welcome

Alexandra

Incredible Valuable Experience

I had an incredible experience during my time in the CGE Cuernavaca program. The content from my classes addressed issues that are still relevant 7 years later (such as migration, gender politics, globalization, and pre-Columbian art and more). I had a very unique opportunity to intern with a local plastics printmaker who creates beautiful social justice pieces.

This work has inspired me and continued to carry on as inspiration personally as an artist, art historian, and for someone who works in the non-profit section in Minnesota working for Indigenous artists and community development. It was an incredible interactive learning environment to be able to study and then be able to visit sites and meet many individuals from different communities.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have attended the program earlier in my academic career to be able to spend another semester there.
Cora

Witnessing Mexico

The CGE Crossing Borders Program in Cuernavaca was an extremely significant experience in my life. The staff are incredibly well-versed in their areas of teaching as well as teaching cultural awareness. They are well connected to the community and have strong emphasis in community learning. Overall, the values of the program were very in line with my own, including their education philosophy and commitment to social justice and anti-oppression work. Cuernavaca is a beautiful city to explore with rich history and culture. My homestay experiences were the best memories I have to look back on. My Spanish improved immensely and I was able to communicate with people even with limited Spanish. This program is a must if you are passionate about cross-cultural learning and learning about cultural resistance through colonization. I learned so much about Mexico's history and culture, as well as learning more about myself everyday. This program is absolutely worth your consideration!

elsbeth

Crossing Borders is Amazing

I left this program inspired and filled with experiences and stories. The combination of academic integrity, experiential education, and the lessons of daily life played a huge impact on my experience. My host family for 2 months became a great support system, my internship at a local school taught me so much, and my fellow CGErs brought a richness to the learning process. Cuernavaca is a great place to study and to live; close to Mexico City, with a lot of history and culture. I left wanting more.