Netherlands: International Perspectives on Sexuality

Acquire an intersectional understanding of the complexities and paradoxes that surround issues of gender and sexuality in the Netherlands — commonly believed to be one of the world’s most progressive and tolerant countries.

Major topics of study include:

Queer and LGBT activism in the Netherlands
Paradoxes surrounding same-sex marriage rights
Feminist and sex-positive activism in the Netherlands
Sex and gender education in the Netherlands
Sex work and sex workers’ rights in the Netherlands
Attitudes toward gender, sexuality, race, class, and religion within postcolonial communities coming from the former Dutch colonies and post-migration communities

You can choose to complete an internship during the last four weeks of this program. For this internship, you will be placed with a local Dutch organization where you will gain real work experience related to the program’s theme and develop professional skills you can use in your career.

Violet

Excellent Experience with a Touch of False Advertising

It was three months of seminars and guest speakers and one month of independent research. The guest speakers were the lecturers and were very informative, knowledgeable, and engaging in class- however since they are not actually professors they were essentially unavailable if you wanted to reach out outside of class about paper expectations or class topics. The staff was very helpful and kind although somewhat disorganized. I personally didn't feel the academic portion was as rigorous as advertised by SIT on their website and they didn't have as many resources and assistance when it came around to the research. Make sure you are very responsible and have excellent time management because no one is making sure you're on schedule or checking in on you during the independent research period.
Morocco was easily the most amazing part of the trip as it was such a different experience than most people will ever have and the food/people/culture was spectacular.
Personally I recommend going abroad through a University program and not a private program like SIT because the academic portion was not strong enough to miss out on the amazing social experiences and connections we could've had if we had been exposed to more young Dutch people (we just had classes with the same 20 or so American students every day).

Alexandra

SIT Netherlands - an amazing, yet flawed experience (but what isn't?)

Went to school for several hours, kicked it with classmates, went on awesome trips to Morocco and Croatia. That was truly the highlight, because I never would have arranged to go to those countries on my own but going with my program was eye-opening and helped me understand how unique the Netherlands is as a country. Also, the speakers we had in class were enlightening. We had ample time to explore the city and make friends. The academics could have been more challenging, but that's okay. We got a genuine cultural experience since we were in homestays across the city and we took Dutch. That was a real added benefit compared to the other American abroad program in town. I definitely felt more integrated in the city of Amsterdam that I expected.

Perhaps it could be made more academically rigorous. Maybe they could actually follow through on their promise to have documentary filmmaking as part of the program. Besides that, they really provided a lot for us. We were so lucky to be living in one of the chillest cities in the world, contextualized by school-led trips to Morocco and Croatia (which was by far the highlight).

About SIT Study Abroad

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in...